How long to do Delphi from Athens?

Anyone have any idea how long it would take to go to Delphi, spend a little bit of time there, and return to Athens? There's a part of me that kinda wouldn't mind doing this, but I'm not sure what the timing would work out to. I'd be looking at renting a car to do it on my own.

My ship doesn't leave Athens till 10PM, and we're in a hotel in Athens the night before. So I've kinda pondered whether it'd be feasible to rent a car in the morning, and drive up there, then go down and drop the luggage at the ship and then return the car.

It's definitely something of a long shot to do, I'm just kinda exploring options for things to do that day.

Piper,

it is possible to do it in a day, but let me give you a better option. Hire a driver, such as George the Taxi Driver to pick you up at the airport. He will drive you to Delphi and will select a nice B&B for you to stay. Tour Delphi in the morning and George will drive you back to the ship with plenty of time. You could also stop at some other sites on the way back. Plus you save yourself the hotel in Athens and the car rental.

We use George like that frequently. In fact we'll see him this week when he is giving us a three day tour before going on our cruise. Get in touch with him at:

georgetaxitours@yahoo.com

http://www.greecetravel.com/taxi/

Piper,

it is possible to do it in a day, but let me give you a better option. Hire a driver, such as George the Taxi Driver to pick you up at the airport. He will drive you to Delphi and will select a nice B&B for you to stay. Tour Delphi in the morning and George will drive you back to the ship with plenty of time. You could also stop at some other sites on the way back. Plus you save yourself the hotel in Athens and the car rental.

Not an option, since we're already booked in Athens for that night. This is kinda one of those last minute "hmm, wonder if I could do that" type things I've been pondering as the cruise gets closer. I'll probably end up having to decide it's just not practical, after all, definitely don't want to miss the cruise. We're just not quite as sure about what we want to do that day we actually embark, especially with such a late departure time.

There is a car rental agency that advertises it will take you to the outskirts of Athens and then put you in your car and point you in the right direction on the National Highway. Presumably they might do the reverse as well, perhaps even drop you off at the cruise port. I can't remember the same, but some googling should find it. Just a thought.

Piper,

too bad about the hotel. However, given the time you have, I would still call George the taxi driver and have him give you a day tour. It is a day tour out of Athens. Driving yourself would be a little iffy because of the traffic and your lack of knowledge of the roads. etc. Besides, you can check out of the hotel in the morning and the George will return you directly to the dock. That will save you lots of time renting the car, returning it, etc. Plus no traffic aggravation. I hope you do visit Delphi, it is beautiful and very interesting.

Good luck, I've got to finish packing!

Archived