effects of alcohol at sea level

Monkeythyme

being basically cheap, I have never consumed enough alcohol on-board to do a self-based study, but have had a few during a couple of trans-Atlantic flights. At high altitude, I feel the effects of the alcohol almost with the first swallow. Is there a reverse effect at sea level? I have read accounts of overboard survivors who would swear they were feeling nothing and then suddenly everything went black. Without exception, they suspect they have been given a "Mickey", but why would anyone do that to a paying customer. Especially since hardly anyone carries cash while on-board.

I suspect that when drinking at sea-level you just don't feel it coming until you are blotto. Does anyone have any authoritative information?

Okay, we live at sea level and have not noticed much of a difference with how rapidly you feel the effects of alcohol. We regularly go camping at 6500 feet and in our party of four, no one gets tipsy faster on the wine up there than down in the city. it would probably depend upon the percentage of alcohol in the wine or other drink being consumed. One glass of wine is not the same as another, same holds true with the different proofs.

I don't suspect anyone has slipped a Mickey to someone else on board for the sheer purpose of tossing them overboard. it's not due to the altutude as mcuh as it is type and quantity of alcohol consumed.

Charlei

Well, I sure felt the alcohol effects of my last cruise right away. I told my husband to make me stop after 2 martinis, but he was drinking Jack on the rocks and didn't notice I'd ordered a 3rd, 4th, 5th....:eek: I'll stop there.

Every few years I lose a bit of control for an evening, that was my night :D

I live right at sea level....literally......the sea is only 10 steps from my back door. I am not aware of any differences in alcohol effectiveness, nor have I heard that before.

However, mood and setting do make a psychological difference.

When flying at altitude, you become dehydrated rather quickly. Thus the alcohol enters your blood stream quicker. This is why they recommend people to stay away from alcohol and sodas when flying and to drink plenty of water before and during the flight.

When flying at altitude, you become dehydrated rather quickly. Thus the alcohol enters your blood stream quicker. This is why they recommend people to stay away from alcohol and sodas when flying and to drink plenty of water before and during the flight.

Exactly. I agree with your points. And, one of the way to minimize jet lag is not to get dehydrated which is another good reason to drink plenty of water and to minimize alcohol consumption on long haul airline flights.

Keith

I live right at sea level....literally......the sea is only 10 steps from my back door.

Aquahound, I think I will need to stay at your place for a couple of days, make it week. This way I can tell if you are just used to it or if it indeed doesn't really have an affect on me.

Archived