QE2 "Dress Code" for Women

ggo85

Doing my last minute shopping. This is a question is re WOMEN'S wear!

Traditionally, "formal" means long dresses for women, and "informal" means cocktail (short). Can someone confirm this is accurate for the QE2. Or, would a dressy cocktail (short) dress be ok on formal nights?

Also, I assume most women wear their dresses more than one night (or we'd need 3 extra bags). Can someone confirm this?

Finally, what is acceptable attire in the Queen's Grill for breakfast and lunch? Are shorts ok (regular shorts, not gymwear) or do women need to wear slacks or skirts?

I realize the QE2 is more formal than most "American" cruise lines. Don't want to overpack but also don't want to be an "ugly American!"

Thanks

Finally, what is acceptable attire in the Queen's Grill for breakfast and lunch? Are shorts ok (regular shorts, not gymwear) or do women need to wear slacks or skirts?

I would suggest that shorts are likely to be very informal compared to the rest of the passengers, who will be following the rule - printed in the brochure - of "no shorts in the dining room".

So the answer is no. Don't wear shorts.

Incidentally, it is Queens' Grill - named after RMS Queen Elizabeth and RMS Queen Mary.

Matthew

:o Must be I don't qualify as most women because I will be bringing a different gown for each night... but that is because I already have enough in my closet, and because I drive to the pier.

ggo,

Matthew is obviously more expert at women's wear than I am, a mere woman.

If you are in a tropical climate you will find that there will be people in shorts at lunch time. I have done so myself. <GASP> I suppose they should have thrown me into the brig,

Of course, Men wear shorts with hideous white socks and garters.

We women have lovely, dressy shorts sets and Bermudas which cover more than the average skirt, and capris and skorts and culottes and all manner of things which we might call shorts, but are not what the average waitress in Hooters would be wearing.

So who ya gonna believe?

And of course, lunchtime many people prefer the less formal setting of the King's Court.

I think, for dining room dining, decorum is the key. You don't want to look like you threw something on from the swimming pool, but on a Caribbean cruise, as compared to crossing the Cold North Atlantic, obviously, standards are quite different, you will find. the dress code is a bit more relaxed.

Take your cues from the other passengers, along with what is in the daily program.

BTW, I have been on 6 Cunard cruises, five of them in the Caribbean.

So I do have some experience.

Short but dressy dress will not get you looked askance at on formal night. However, you will find that the preponderance of women will be wearing long. You may also see some, especially a few older women, wearing dressy pantsuits. Especially those who have difficulty with dressy shoes, and other accoutrements and find glitzy pantsuits to be much more comfortable when formal dresses might be quite excruciating for some, what with osteoporosis and arthritis and such.

Karie,

who has been known to wear women's clothing for the past 52 years. Well, maybe less. There were those few years in diapers.

ggo,

Matthew is obviously more expert at women's wear than I am, a mere woman.

Whilst no expert on women's clothing (ask my wife!) I can read a brochure. I also have rather more experience of the Queens' Grill on Queen Elizabeth 2......

From the .co.uk site:

What do I wear on board during the day? You'll need to pack or range of summer or warmer clothes, depending on your itinerary and the time of year you travel. On board, during the day, you'll probably find yourself most comfortable in casual wear or swimwear. In the ships' main restaurants attire for breakfast and lunch is casual wear (excluding shorts). In the King's Court on Queen Mary 2, and in the Lido Cafe on QE2 and Queen Victoria, casual attire (including shorts) may be worn.

From the .com site:

Which outfits should I pack? The general atmosphere onboard is elegant, but relaxed. Although shorts and swimsuits may not be worn in the ships’ main restaurants, casual attire (including shorts) is welcome during the day at the Kings Court on QUEEN MARY 2 and at the Lido Café on QUEEN ELIZABETH 2. Swimsuits, brief shorts and exercise clothing should be reserved for poolside lounging, deck activities and the spa.

Sorry Karie, but you are wrong on this one. consoling1.gif

Matthew

We're going on QM2 shortly and there isn't a formal evening, only informal and casual. I'm wearing a black evening suit with normal white shirt and black bow tie for the informal night and my wife, who for various reasons doesn't wear dresses, is wearing a long black skirt and black top. Casual night will be sports jacket and tie for me and smart long skirt and top (not necessarily black) for my wife. Do you think this will be ok?

We're going on QM2 shortly and there isn't a formal evening, only informal and casual. I'm wearing a black evening suit with normal white shirt and black bow tie for the informal night and my wife, who for various reasons doesn't wear dresses, is wearing a long black skirt and black top. Casual night will be sports jacket and tie for me and smart long skirt and top (not necessarily black) for my wife. Do you think this will be ok?

Your suit is better suited to a formal setting. However I would imagine things will change on board. I'd take a dress suit and lounge suit then you'll be fine. Sports jacket and tie to complete the set if you want to.

Matthew

Dear GGO,

Looks like you've started something here! I'll be going on my first cruise on the QE2 shortly and unfortunately cannot therefore comment on past experience. However, after looking through the brochure and information it does seem they prefer more "dressy" attire in their restaurants and I'm sure that if they printed that shorts were acceptable Cunard would be worried that people might start turning up in jean shorts etc. (infact the type of clothes that I would normally wear to lunch!) and they are trying to uphold a certain level of decorum. Saying that though, I agree with one of the previous replies that in under the heading of ladies shorts you can get all manner of types of clothing that can look very smart and I can't see why that would cause a problem and they could or would say anthing ......... as long as you look smart and not indecent. If it's any help before you start shopping, I have bought some long linen trousers that I intend to throw on at lunchtimes etc. with a t-shirt or top. I intend to keep my days on board as comfortable and casual as possible.

As for evening attire - I'm taking this opportunity to really get dressed up in the evenings so I can see myself taking a lot of baggage. Which is another reason why I don't want to have to spend all day getting dressed up for various meals - I can understand a formal dress code for evenings but I do think that during the day people could be a bit more relaxed. Have a good time - when do you sail?

Incidentally, it is Queens' Grill - named after RMS Queen Elizabeth and RMS Queen Mary.

Matthew

On QM2, it is Queens Grill. There is no apostrophe. See the photo of the cover of the Queens Grill menu below. This makes it plural, not plural possessive. (picky picky picky :D )

2372808080047458453pvuOKI_th.jpg

On QM2, it is Queens Grill. There is no apostrophe. See the photo of the cover of the Queens Grill menu below. This makes it plural, not plural possessive. (picky picky picky :D )

I must admit that I thought there was no apostrophe as well - just like the Queens Room:)

Yes, but we are discussing the Queen Elizabeth 2........

Matthew

You will see that Cunard does not use an apostrophe when discussing the Queens Grill on Queen Elizabeth 2. ;)

You are assuming that whoever writes the blurb for the website and the brochures has any idea why the rooms are names as they are. Never mind where to put an apostrophe to convey that meaning.

I note they don't use one for the Queen(')s Room either, which rather proves the point.

Regards, Colin.

Arguing over apostrophe's... and they say we lawyers are bad ;)

What is wrong with a lawyer?

Came across a lovely joke the other day.

A Rabbi, a Hindu and a Lawyer come to an inn for the night, and ask for a room. The innkeeper tells them that they are welcome to stay, but he has only two rooms. However, one is welcome to use the barn next door.

The Hindu offers to go to the barn. The other two go into the inn. A couple of minutes later the Hindu is at the door.....

"There is a cow in the Barn. The cow is sacred to Hindu people, and I cannot sleep in the same room as a cow....."

So the Rabbi offers to go out. The Hindu and the lawyer go into the inn. A couple of minutes later the Rabbi is at the door.......

"There is a pig in the barn. The pig is unclean to Jews, and I cannot sleep in the same room as one....."

So the lawyer accepts he must sleep in the barn. The Hindu and the Rabbi go into the inn......

A couple of minutes later, and there is knocking at the door. The Rabbi and the Hindu look at each other, and one opens the door.

It's the cow and the pig.

Matthew

positive, thats why we can't ever make head nor tail of the letters:)

glenn.

(at home again on nitty's pootaah)

May I suggest, with the greatest of respect, that your suggestion is unworthy of discussion in either the Queen's Room or the Queens' Grill.

(Or just plain wrong if you prefer!)

Matthew

What is wrong with a lawyer?

Came across a lovely joke the other day.

A Rabbi, a Hindu and a Lawyer come to an inn for the night, and ask for a room. The innkeeper tells them that they are welcome to stay, but he has only two rooms. However, one is welcome to use the barn next door.

The Hindu offers to go to the barn. The other two go into the inn. A couple of minutes later the Hindu is at the door.....

"There is a cow in the Barn. The cow is sacred to Hindu people, and I cannot sleep in the same room as a cow....."

So the Rabbi offers to go out. The Hindu and the lawyer go into the inn. A couple of minutes later the Rabbi is at the door.......

"There is a pig in the barn. The pig is unclean to Jews, and I cannot sleep in the same room as one....."

So the lawyer accepts he must sleep in the barn. The Hindu and the Rabbi go into the inn......

A couple of minutes later, and there is knocking at the door. The Rabbi and the Hindu look at each other, and one opens the door.

It's the cow and the pig.

Matthew

LOL! I love lawyer jokes!

May I suggest, with the greatest of respect, that your suggestion is unworthy of discussion in either the Queen's Room or the Queens' Grill.

(Or just plain wrong if you prefer!)

Matthew

i haven't upset you have i?:(

i haven't upset you have i?:(

No! Of course not....

I was trying to find an on-topic phrase to include the apostrophe. To prove that lawyers use them......

I'm a lawyer you see.

Matthew

:)

No! Of course not....

I was trying to find an on-topic phrase to include the apostrophe. To prove that lawyers use them......

I'm a lawyer you see.

Matthew

:)

good:)

i know you're a lawyer, i've mentioned it before. it is true though isn't it, legal documents don't use a lot of punctuation so a lot of things can be taken several ways?

that's what i asked my lawyer and he said possibly.

i'm not a crim, i'm a divorcee:D

glenn.

Archived