Right Month for Baltic Cruise

Nana4x

We booked Regatta for June 4, 2008 Stockholm to London.

Is this the right time for mild weather? I know we should expect rain

and have warm jackets just in case.

Would we be wiser to switch to July?

My theory is it's better to fly in May or June as the number of folks

flying gets pretty high in July and Aug. I'm not that happy in very

crowded situations. That's the main reason for us to travel on

Oceania or other smaller ships.

David spent all his working years in higher education and I really

dreaded taking vacations at the most busy time of the year. Spring

Break, Thanksgiving/Christmas and in the high heat of the summer.

Now that we are both retired, I try to avoid the busy season if at all

possible. Our cruise in May on Nautica (Istanbul to Athens) could not

have been better. Good weather - sailing was like in a bath tub -

crowds (of tourists) while heavy were manageable. I would not have

liked going any later as even the locals told us how unbearable it

became to get a cab and walk comfortably.

So if you went in July or August to the Baltics is it better or not?

First time we did the Baltic, May 99, on NCL's Norwegian Dream, we had clear cool weather and smooth seas, except last night on the North Sea en route to Dover, when there was a lot of chop.

Second time on the Baltic, Oceania's Regatta, late Aug 05, we had clear and warmer weather and smooth seas, including the North Sea en route to Dover.

I for one think weather and sea state is too unpredictable to worry about, and don't place a lot of faith in forecasts and forecast models used by the weatherpeople. I just take it as it comes - and rough water does add some excitement to a trip!

We did the Baltic in early -mid June 2003 and the weather was fine ..sunny low 70's a bit of rain in Helsinki

Perfect for touring.....we wore t-shirts most of the time

First time we did the Baltic, May 99, on NCL's Norwegian Dream, we had clear cool weather and smooth seas, except last night on the North Sea en route to Dover, when there was a lot of chop.

Our trip was May '02 on the Norwegian Dream - weather was exactly the same with choppy seas en route to Dover which was the end of the trip. We had a good mix of weather and the cruise through the Kiel Canal was a wonderful surprise. The Dream could lower its stacks to go under the bridges. We recently heard that the Dream is going to be assigned other ports . . . that being said, who will sail the Kiel now??

Herbalsoaplady,

I would go for it in June. I don't like crowds either -- we were in France during Spring Break and I thought all the World had decided to see France. You never can guess what the weather will be. In 2003, Europe had a very hot and early summer. We went to the Baltics in August and I brought little battery operated fans with me for St. Petersburg's Castles and museums. Well, the weather changed by the time we arrived in Europe and we had rain and 50 degrees most of the time. We had a wonderful time in spite of the weather. Just take small umbrellas and layer. The ship was wonderful and gave us huge umbrellas to take ashore. We almost forgot one on a bus in Copenhagen.

Sheila

Great question. We just booked the 6/4/08 and we returned yesterday from Istanbul to Athens. I was hoping weather would be cooler 1st week of June. We had record temperatures in Greece this week.

ChatKat- please contact me off list at the email address below. We have already been in touch with private tour operators for the Baltic cruise.:)

Trying to secure the best of the best so we will have a wonderful experience.

BTW we were on Nautica in May of this year and the weather was perfect except for our last day in Athens - lots of rain.

We were on a Regatta Baltic cruise several years ago during the first two weeks in August. We had warm, sometimes hot, weather, smooth seas and not one drop of rain for two weeks. We were told that the cruise just before ours (last two weeks of July) had constant rain. It is the luck of the draw, I guess. But I would think that a big advantage of going in the latter part of June is being in St Petersburg for White Nights.

We were on a Regatta Baltic cruise several years ago during the first two weeks in August. We had warm, sometimes hot, weather, smooth seas and not one drop of rain for two weeks. We were told that the cruise just before ours (last two weeks of July) had constant rain. It is the luck of the draw, I guess. But I would think that a big advantage of going in the latter part of June is being in St Petersburg for White Nights.

Archived