Evening in St Petersburg

We are sailing on the Star Princess August 30th. We want to attend a ballet on our evening in St Petersburg.

These are the offerings from Denrus:

Ballet Entrance Ticket (price in USD per person)

St Petersburg Ballet Theatre (at Conservatoire): from USD 34

Mariinsky Theatre: from USD 110

Hermitage Theatre: from USD 75

Alexandrinsky Theatre: from USD 110

Musical Comedy Theatre: from USD 57 (orchestra seats)

Anyone have any comments or suggestions as to which is best?

If you love ballet, there really is no choice but the Mariinsky...Home theater of the Mariinsky/Kirov troup. It's a beautiful theater. If possible, ask for a box seat. You will enjoy a magical evening!!!

Emjoy!

murphysmum;)

You MUST go to the Mariinsky - the building is spectacular and the performances are spectacular.

The mentioned ticket prices seem a bit steep. Probably there is a tour operator who takes a handsome fee.

You can easily order tickets online by yourself and select the places you prefer:

http://www.mariinsky.ru/

They don't have the program for August 30th yet. Keep watching the website. They usually will have ballet or opera on alternating nights. I have seen an opera (Pique Dame) which was fantastic, in July we will see a ballet (Romeo and Juilietta).

We are sailing on the Star Princess August 30th. We want to attend a ballet on our evening in St Petersburg.

These are the offerings from Denrus:

Ballet Entrance Ticket (price in USD per person)

St Petersburg Ballet Theatre (at Conservatoire): from USD 34

Mariinsky Theatre: from USD 110

Hermitage Theatre: from USD 75

Alexandrinsky Theatre: from USD 110

Musical Comedy Theatre: from USD 57 (orchestra seats)

Anyone have any comments or suggestions as to which is best?

I concur with all other responses--Mariinski! Our experience in early June was incredible--obviously saw the premiere company. Be prepared for HEAT, however. The building is not air-conditioned, but it is really spectacular. However, one cruise critic review of a performance in May was really terrible--said several dancers fell, others appeared to be off rhythm. Google Mariinski Theatre, or theatres in St. Petersburg, to see the performance schedules for your date.

The Hermitage Theatre is much more intimate and supposedly has Kirov dancers performing...and it is historic, too. But an ensemble rather than a full company performs.

I'd go back tomorrow..... :)

Joan

Hello...

First of all, I'm sorry that someone saw an "off" performance by the Kirov/Mariinsky troup. This is VERY unusual. I've had the privilege of seeing them at least 20 times, both in Russia and in US and I've never really seen an off-night. I think you can safely expect "the best".

RE: Hermitage Theater...Unless they've VERY recently changed their policy, the performers are usually from the Vaganova School which TRAINS Kirov dancers...The actual Kirov dancers have no reason to dance in the Hermitage theater. The theater IS lovely and intimate, but given a choice of one ballet......Mariinsky.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a ballet fanatic!

murphysmum;)

Hello...

First of all, I'm sorry that someone saw an "off" performance by the Kirov/Mariinsky troup. This is VERY unusual. I've had the privilege of seeing them at least 20 times, both in Russia and in US and I've never really seen an off-night. I think you can safely expect "the best".

RE: Hermitage Theater...Unless they've VERY recently changed their policy, the performers are usually from the Vaganova School which TRAINS Kirov dancers...The actual Kirov dancers have no reason to dance in the Hermitage theater. The theater IS lovely and intimate, but given a choice of one ballet......Mariinsky.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a ballet fanatic!

murphysmum;)

Thanks for the clarification on the Hermitage dancers. When we were told the dancers were part of the Kirov company, we wondered... We too have seen the Kirov many times in the states...and now one time in St. Petersburg! Nothing wrong with being "a bit of a ballet fanatic"!

You MUST go to the Mariinsky - the building is spectacular and the performances are spectacular.

The mentioned ticket prices seem a bit steep. Probably there is a tour operator who takes a handsome fee.

You can easily order tickets online by yourself and select the places you prefer:

http://www.mariinsky.ru/

They don't have the program for August 30th yet. Keep watching the website. They usually will have ballet or opera on alternating nights. I have seen an opera (Pique Dame) which was fantastic, in July we will see a ballet (Romeo and Juilietta).

If you ordered the tickets online by yourself as you suggested up above, would you need an independent Russian Visa?

I understand companies like Denrus mentioned by the OP takes care of the Visa issue if you book through them.

If you want to visit Russia privately you need a visa.

If you have an invitation of a tour operator (Alla, Anastasia, Denrus, Red October) they provide a socalled "blanket visa". They mail you a tour ticket and this will allow you to pass customs. The tour operator will meet you at the customs office and bring you back.

When you hire a tour operator you can tell them to drop you off at the Mariinsky at 6:30 p.m. and to drive you back to the ship after the performance. Most tour operators are very flexible. However, if they buy the tickets for you they tend to buy the most expensive category and double the price in order to get a fee for themselves. To avoid this, you can buy your tickets online. At least, you learn about categories and prices.

• 2 months later...

We booked the Russian Ballet through Princess. We saw Swan Lake with the St Petersburg Conservatory. It was very well done.

However, the ship has the Troika Dancers come on board and perform twice in the evening. So, I could have saved some money, seen a great show, and been back in bed early for a long day 2 of touring.

Archived