Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Nancy: Thank you for the good wishes and especially the "hang in there", and "I totally understand" attitude. Living in southern California certainly is not as hot as where you live but with the heat waves we've been having, Brenny stays pretty much in the air conditioned environment, with me!!!!! I love watching dogs when they languish in wading pools......they're so cute!!!!!!

Truly, only people who have and treat their "fur" working-babies as well as they treat their children would really get it!!!!!

Quam: I'm so sorry that you're going through the trauma's and expense of illness for your service-baby! I hope she's better by this writing and that the diagnosis is an easy "fix!" Well, it's never easy but it can be less traumatic if it's a "common illness!" Whatever that is. We too, are budgeting much differently with the expense of Brenny's illness!!!!!!

Brenny is now on a lower dosage of Prednisone but still on her anti-fungal meds, it seems to be a more tolerable dosage for her and she's not quite as weak, restless or depressed!!!!! She's still drinking water like a fish and going potty every hour on the hour (I guess that goes with the territory!)

I get more of a response from her and she has less of that "who am I and what am I doing here" stare/glaze in her eyes!!!!!! I would tear-up everytime I would look into those big brown eyes of hers!!!

Again, thanks to all of you, who help each of us get through either our cruising problems and antics with our dogs or the illness's and challenges that go with "life with a dog!" :)

I am so glad to hear that Brenda is feeling a little better. Having taken high doses of steroids for long periods in the past, I understand how the poor baby is feeling. Hungry, Thirsty, Irritable, Cant Sleep...... My heart hurts for her. Quam: I hope your furry friend adjusts well. My own dog (who serves as a foster sister to service dogs) just had a steroid shot for her annual summer itchy skin and is on antihistamines. So, freqeunt trips outside, lot's of water and some medicated baths. Please keep posting abt all your adventures with your service dogs. It makes what I do even more special to me. :)

Thank you, Sunshine, please don't stop doing what you do! Without wonderfully giving and loving folks like yourself, there wouldn't be service dogs and the people who need them would be truly lost!:)

Brenny, our DH and I are planning for our 2 week RT to Hawaii, in November. I'm getting some more Hawaiian shirts for us and some silk Lei's for her. I know we have lots of time....but, you know how that goes by so quickly! :o

The packing for Brenny will definitely be more intense and thoughtful. The longest cruise she's been on is 8 days.....14 days will be a true test in not forgetting anything for her. Last time I didn't bring enough CET Chews and had to go to the Purser's Desk to have them cut into smaller pieces (so they would last the rest of the week!) They had to use an electric cutter......I've learned my lesson on that one!!!!! :(

Just like we make a list for ourselves....I'm now making lists for her!!!! And, to think I raised 3 kids......;)

Stay cool and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Roz, I'm glad that Brenny is doing a little better. I use to be a people nurse and could deal with anything people go through but when our fur babies are sick or in trouble I just go to mush and am good to no one. I do know that when you have a an infection the doctor always says drink drink drink. So, if you can think of each trip outside to potty as the infection being flushed right out of her system it may help you deal with it emotionally. Valentine had some kind of an skin infection last year that even the doctor didn't know what it was and did all kinds of tests:( and still didn't know. We took her to a doggy dermatologist and he did even more tests and never did find out exactly what it was but the medicine he have us did get rid of it after about 6-8 months. Poor baby was itchy but wouldn't do it in front of me and would hid under the table and chew her fur off.:eek: She lost a lot of fur. She was actually bald in a couple of places! Not good for a long haired dog.

It has been hot here too. Several days this season it's been well over 100 degrees. Valentine and I tend to stay inside the A/C however, we did get her a vest that you soak in water to keep her cool and it does seem to keep her cool. We have used it on cruises to the Virgin Islands and it seems to keep her cool so we just have to talk her into drinking. For some reason she has a problem with drinking around others.:rolleyes:

Quam we are all waiting to hear from you how your girl is doing. I sure hope that she is better too.

Barbara

Thank you, Sunshine, please don't stop doing what you do! Without wonderfully giving and loving folks like yourself, there wouldn't be service dogs and the people who need them would be truly lost!:)

Brenny, our DH and I are planning for our 2 week RT to Hawaii, in November. I'm getting some more Hawaiian shirts for us and some silk Lei's for her. I know we have lots of time....but, you know how that goes by so quickly! :o

The packing for Brenny will definitely be more intense and thoughtful. The longest cruise she's been on is 8 days.....14 days will be a true test in not forgetting anything for her. Last time I didn't bring enough CET Chews and had to go to the Purser's Desk to have them cut into smaller pieces (so they would last the rest of the week!) They had to use an electric cutter......I've learned my lesson on that one!!!!! :(

Just like we make a list for ourselves....I'm now making lists for her!!!! And, to think I raised 3 kids......;)

Stay cool and enjoy the rest of your summer!

We were on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii a few years ago. I would think that this would be great cruise for a SD as well. Lot's of time with her/his people, regular walks on the promenade deck. a somewhat regular schedule, balcony sitting time, pool time, cocktails. ooops I guess I am thinking about a perfect cruise for me. LOL

Thanks for the encourgement for my work with SD. I just love it, and can't think of anything I would love more.

Barbara, isn't that the truth.....Something about "those eyes", "that tail" and the body language......I"m so done, when I look into her eyes....she's got me....I fall for the fur.....and, she can have anything she wants!!!!!!!!

Leona Helmsley left her millions to her dog...She was an evil witch to every human she ever encountered but adored her dogs..What a smart lady!!!!!!! Just kidding......

My heart is lifting as my girl is going down, down, down on her Prednisone and the "real Brenda" is starting to appear, again!

:) WELCOME HOME MY SWEET, DEAR BRENNY, STAY HEALTHY :)

Thanks, everybody, for your well-wishes!

Turns out, the first test was either messed up or it was a temporary thing or something, as the full panel of tests came back all normal! :) So, no meds! I'm very glad, even though they weren't that expensive, they would've been life-long. It is really weird how it turned out, but I'm happy!

Quam: What a relief, is right! I'm sure you're very happy! And, so are we!

Well, I spoke too soon, about Brenny. She's starting to show symptoms of the Prednisone. More than she had on my last writing. She's having a lot of joint pain (exhibited by her refusals to jump into my car and to not stand on her hind legs, to reach things on the counter, etc.) It's very difficult for me to watch this, in her!

She's always been the "first" one to reach the counter and, I never have to give any command on entering my SUV.....this morning I had to physically lift her...she would rather lie down. She doesn't wimper or cry in any way....she, as I mentioned before, has an extremely high tolerance to pain...she just exhibits the "refusal"...many of you who work with Service Dogs will recognize it!!!!!

She sees the doctor, this morning and we'll see what he says. I don't think the symptoms are permanent (please, NO!!!) Once she's totally off the dosage (which is now down to 1/2 tablet every other day) along with Nizoral (anti-yeast) medication, I'm praying she will improve. We'll see!

Maybe the doctor will take her off of everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, then she can start coming back as herself......I'll let you know!!!!!!

I don't sleep much...I get up severa times to just observe her.......I'm going to start exhibiting "refusals" pretty soon!!!!!!:o

I know what's wrong......Brenny hasn't cruised sinced April.....And, our next one isn't until November.

The cure for everything......CRUISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hi Roz! We met on the Golden Princess last November and on the Oosterdam this past April. I’m so sorry to here about Brenda’s illness. I hope she (and you!) is doing better.

The other day in the mall I stopped at the Build-a-Bear Workshop store. Guess what? They have a “Helping Paw Black Lab!” I thought of Brenda right away! http://www.buildabear.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?ProductSKU=13381_13380_10901_13393_13400&Category=lab&CallingPage=ProductSummary

I agree that the cure for everything is cruising. Unfortunately, I don't have any planned, just FCCs for both Princess and HAL. My friend, Kerith who was with me on the “O” is going on the Golden Princess 4 weeks after you. I told her she was going to love it!

BTW: Another book that’s a tear-jerker is, “Rescuing Sprite” by Mark Levin. He usually doesn’t write this type of book (he’s a lawyer, talk radio host, and writes other stuff) but this one is from the heart. He also donates a portion of his proceeds from the sale of this book to animal shelters.

Anyway, say hi to Morey and give hugs and kisses to Brenda.

Marcia

Marcia: Hi! How nice to hear from you. Of course I remember you! Morey still has the gift that you brought to the CC gathering and the lovely little frame that you gave us for our Anniversary is hanging in my office and I'm looking at it as I write this. (Of course, there's a picture of my dear, sweet Brenny in it!) You are such a warm and friendly person, how could I forget?

Thank you for asking about "Brenny". Her visit to the doctor went very well! Other than the fact that I had to pick her up to enter my car (SUV). She was so weak from the steroids, she could hardly stand.....This is so unlike my girl. She's usually a fireball of energy....not now!!!! It makes me tear every time I look at her.

The doctor saw, immediately, that she was acting differently and noted in BIG, BOLD letters, in her chart, that she is "hyper-sensitive" to Prednisone and, in the future if (God forbid) she needs this medicine again, he would make sure that she is given very low doses of it!!!!!!! He took her off of everything (her ears look very good), there seems to be no residual damage. The only difference for her is she will have to have ear lavages once a month, forever. I can handle that!!!!!! A nurse had to accompany me to my car to help me lift her into it!!!!!

This morning she's still a bit lethargic but the doctor told me it would take a few days for the medicine to completely leave her system. She's not drinking water like a fish and needing to go potty every half hour or appearing to be restless and agitated anymore.......there's a light at the end of this tunnel!!!!!!!

To all of you who have written me and who sent your good wishes to my girl........THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Marcia, come on....hop onboard the Golden to Hawaii!!!!! :) We leave on November 12th.

Quam: What a relief, is right! I'm sure you're very happy! And, so are we!

Thanks! And, yup, very happy here! :)

Well, I spoke too soon, about Brenny. She's starting to show symptoms of the Prednisone. More than she had on my last writing. She's having a lot of joint pain (exhibited by her refusals to jump into my car and to not stand on her hind legs, to reach things on the counter, etc.) It's very difficult for me to watch this, in her!

So sorry that she is having to go through this!!!! :( I read your most recent message before replying to this one to see if you'd updated on her, so I'm glad to see that she is off the med now. Hopefully she will get better very soon!

She's always been the "first" one to reach the counter and, I never have to give any command on entering my SUV.....this morning I had to physically lift her...she would rather lie down.

Holy cow, isn't she a big dog?! Not so fun for you to have to lift her! And poor doggy.

You don't have a command to get into the car? Do you have one for getting out? Commands for these, especially getting out, are for safety reasons. I always use the commands and especially do not allow her to get out of the vehicle (mine is an SUV, too, and others' vehicles that we frequent are an SUV, mini-SUV, and car) without the command.

She doesn't wimper or cry in any way....she, as I mentioned before, has an extremely high tolerance to pain...she just exhibits the "refusal"...many of you who work with Service Dogs will recognize it!!!!!

Yeah, unlike humans, dogs only show their pain (a weakness, in the animal world) under very extreme circumstances. Otherwise, showing such a weakness leaves them (in their world/minds) prone to be prey or overtaken.

Hopefully she'll be back to her normal self very, very soon!!

The other day in the mall I stopped at the Build-a-Bear Workshop store. Guess what? They have a “Helping Paw Black Lab!” I thought of Brenda right away! http://www.buildabear.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?ProductSKU=13381_13380_10901_13393_13400&Category=lab&CallingPage=ProductSummary

Very cute! I looked around the Web site and see that you can buy all those accessories separately, so you can build a dog of a different breed (they offer a few) and still have it wear a vest and have a bowl and bed (or dog house, even). And the dogs have magnets in their mouths so they can "hold" the set of three dog toys (sold separately) in their mouths - very cute idea!

I just might have to steal my cousins' kids and take them to this store one day (though I know they have been there before...). ;)

Hi everyone:

Haven't been around, just been so busy but summer school ended so have a few weeks of only 1 1/2 jobs, whewwww.

I am so glad all the fur babies are doing better. Poor Brenny. I know the feeling. The last time the babysitter had Reno, she had to lift him her truck because he just couldn't get in. She twisted her back and I felt so bad. You recall my boy weighs in at 110 lbs! :eek: She has been babysitting him for 9 years now, so he is like one of her own.

Anyway, if anyone can appreciate this, I know this group can. When we shopped for a new vehicle I completely had Reno in mind. It would break my heart when he couldn't get up into the truck anymore. He has never liked anyway helping him by lifting hind quarters. I bought a little 4 door compact car. Bought a quilted car seat cover and he is in heaven. Can climb up alot easier. fortunately we don't have to go bye bye often.

His human Auntie was down for a couple days and spoiled him to death. She must have dumped his pool water 4 times a day! He would just go get in the dirt and muddy it up again.

Well enough for one posting. Everyone have a great weekend and give all the fur babies hugs and kisses for me.

Nancy

Marcia, come on....hop onboard the Golden to Hawaii!!!!! :) We leave on November 12th.

Roz, I would LOVE to be on the Golden again, especially to Hawaii AND seeing Brenda (and of course you and Morey) again. Unfortunately, I have a business conference in Orlando during that time. But I know we'll see each other again someday!

Marcia

I was wondering how Brenny was. I'm at David's computer but it's really me Valentine's Mom. I know what It's only been a shout time since you last post but I have had her on my mind all day. Everytime I say that Brenny is sick Valentine tips her heas gives a little whine and puts her head on my lap. I think she thinks that she is sick and going to the vet. Please let Brenny know that she has fans her in VA and want her to feel her best.:D

Roz or anybody else, have you (and your SD) ever gone on the Norwegian Gem? I saw it on "What Not to Wear" the other day (they did an episode on a cruise on that ship) and it looks so colorful and fun. If you have been on it, what was access like? Potty box?

Thanks!

Quam: Brenda's commands for entering a car are "Car" or "Jump".....she never, never, never leaves the car until I give her the "Off" or "Down" or "Jump" command......when I open her door I always say "Wait", until I'm ready to command her to leave the vehicle. Not leaving a car until commanded to do so is very engrained in well trained Service Dogs!

We've done the Norwegian Star and they were very accomodating with placing Brenny's box, filled with mulch (the biggest box on any cruiseline), in a closet right down the hall from our cabin. They were very, very nice to us!!!!!

Marcia: I know we'll see each other again.....

Nancy: Your stories of "Reno" are wonderful!

Barbara: Please tell Valentine "Thank You" for caring so much about my girl......Or for the "head-tilts", of which I love!!!!!

Brenda is still very, very weak as of this writing and is still having a hard time getting into my car. She is trying to do her usual "jump" but falls short with her hind legs....that's where I come in. And, yes she weighs 75 pounds.....not as big as some but bigger than most! The doctor said that he doesn't think that the weakness will last and for some dogs it could take as much as 10 days to 2 weeks to regain their strength after prolonged Prednisone use! Never again!!!!! :mad:

I've ordered a ramp for her from Drs. Fosters & Smith......I can't wait til it gets here.....it will make hers and my life much, much easier!!!!!!! If she gets stronger and doesn't need it, at least I'll have it for her "old age!"

Roz, I sure hope Brenda is feeling better.

I was just catching up on this thread as I had been away awhile.

We moved. We were actually "homeless" for awhile as the old house was closed earlier and the new house later than expected. No compliants, we are so fortunate to have sold in this market. Plus, we did the only thing two retired people and a dog could do - went on vacation!

Unfortunately, it was not a cruise, but we did have a new experience for Bailey (and me). We got to go to Universal Sudios in Hollywood. I had always wanted to go. Bailey even rode on some rides. :D It was really neat. We did buy the VIP pass which made all the difference in me being able to go or not.

We are now almost settled in our new house. How come there are more boxes to unpack then there were to pack?

Anyway hope everyone else is doing well and all our partners are back in good health. I have worried so much about the smoke from all the fires around us in Northern California.

Quam: Brenda's commands for entering a car are "Car" or "Jump".....she never, never, never leaves the car until I give her the "Off" or "Down" or "Jump" command......when I open her door I always say "Wait", until I'm ready to command her to leave the vehicle. Not leaving a car until commanded to do so is very engrained in well trained Service Dogs!

We use "load up" and "out". And, of course, she waits in the car until "out" is given, no matter how long it takes.

We've done the Norwegian Star and they were very accomodating with placing Brenny's box, filled with mulch (the biggest box on any cruiseline), in a closet right down the hall from our cabin. They were very, very nice to us!!!!!

Nice! Thanks for the info. I may not ever go on the Gem, but it sure did look nice and it would be neat to go on it. If my friend ever does a cruise on it, I'd really think of going!

Darcie: What fun! Universal Studios (not the move!) Although, new homes and new adventures, in today's economic times, is a wonderful thing! You are a lucky woman! Congratulations on all the wonderful things happening in your life!

Quam: I hope you get to go on that cruise....It's always fun to cruise with our SD's!

Brenny is coming along....honestly, that would be the key words "coming along!" She's still not the girl I knew before the Prednisone! Isn't that amazing, how certain drugs can react on some dogs and some people for that matter!!!

She's still very weak. We purchased a ramp for her to use in entering and exiting my SUV! And, she's doing really well with it. She wasn't too sure of it, at first but got used to it after some "food coaxing!"

We pray that she'll return to her usual spunky self! :)

Roz:

My heart hurts for Brenny. I just want to lay next to Reno. I tell him every chance I get that "Mommy loves him" and give him scratches on his head and nose. He still has some pep in him.

We bought Reno a ramp about 4 years ago. First time up he went like clock work. Unfortunately he would not come back down it. He sat in the motorhome for quite a while. Treats and the leash to go for a walk wouldn't even work. I finally had to take my little step stool and put it under the end the and make the ramp more level.

Hope all your fur babies are doing better. Hugs and kisses to all of them.

Nancy

Nancy: You brought tears to my eyes.....I lay down, next to Brenny and I put my head next to hers and kiss her all over her face.......I whisper in her ear to not ever, ever leave me!!!!!!! OMG! I'm crying as I write this......

Her weakness and inability to "jump" in and out of my car is still there. The ramp is wonderful....it can either be used in the short version (which has more incline) or, it can telescope (which gives it a more level feel)...time-out....I have to go wipe my eyes............:o Okay! I'm back.....Now, I have to smile because she's laying down, in her crate, in my office and she's snoring so loudly that she's vibrating the floor!!!!! So cute!!!!!!!!

She is using the ramp, as if to say, "thank you for thinking of me!"

Be well everyone.......And, again, thank you so, so much for all your encouraging words....

YOU mean so much to me and my girl!!!!!! ;)

Roz:

Reno has slept in a crate since he was 6 weeks old. His first one he borrowed from his sister (Himalayan Kitty) Katmandu. She lived to be 21 years old. She was strictly an indoor kitty and was the best. But we finally got a new kitten, she is very active not afraid of anything. Stands on her two hind legs and slaps at Reno. He just looks at her.

I didn't mean to make you tear up. Some people just don't understand how much our fur babies mean to us.

Does Brenny tell time? Reno comes to me or Papa everyday around 2:30 for his snack. Then back again around 4:00 or dinner. He gets me up at 4:30 a.m. to go potty, then 5:00 a.m for breakfast. Then he naps for awhile.

Gotta run, hope I'm not boring everyone about my adventures with the "Kids".

Nancy

Nancy: Brenny has a PaPa too! I've been calling my DH "PaPa" since we first met....I was about 18 years old and he was 25. I have no idea why....except that he's such an old soul and it just seemed to fit. Our kids got so used to it as they were growing up, it actually sounds funny when I call him by name (not too often!)

When I driving home from work, I always say, "let's go see PaPa", Benny's ears perk-up and her walk is brisker! Especially since she's been sick, I use "PaPa's" name a lot to encourage her to move along! She adores him and he feels the same! (He asks nothing of her other than her love, I ask her to work!)

Brenny knows how to tell time too! She can be in the deepest sleep and the time for her snack comes and, waahlah, she's up and staring at me. Same thing for breakfast and dinner. She'll nudge my DH at 4:30am, every day! What's up with that? And, how come she knows not to nudge me? Maybe it's because my mood in the morning is not so friendly!!!!!!! She's so smart!!!!:p