Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Many of our volunteers and the spokesdog handlers travel via air with the SD in training. I have this picture of coach seats and large goldens and can't quite see how it works, but I know it does. I can only imagine trying to use the lav on the plane and taking the dog in with you!!!!

I was using a public restroom with a large golden with me. Tight squeeze in the stall with my friends backside sticking out from under the stall door. Then I hear "look mommy, I doggy is in the potty). And soon a toddler is also peeking under the door. My dog of the day handled it well, I just laughed. :)

Thanks all for your tips on "potty". BTW, glad Brenny is doing better. Yeah, I'm usually really good and checking out places to make sure we will be fine. Werin has been trained for grass, but she will do gravel and/or dirt in a pinch. She has only missed once in her life, that being on last year's cruise when we were on our way to the box, but Werin thought that getting on the promenade would be good enough - ruh roh.

We always joke that we know more about where the grass is, then what we are actually seeing. Of course, road trips are easy, but those cross country flights take some amount of planning. You know the drill - Check in after having one last pee, then getting through security a little less than 2 hours before flight. Get to the layover, which you have built in enough time to get outside of security, go potty, come back through and make your next flight, then get through customs quickly, so that you can get her to the next spot of grass (both sets of Cameron's grandparents live cross country and in Canada, so we always have customs). So if you need tips on where to toilet your service dog in unusual places -- we have the answers:

- Philadelphia Airport

- Minneapolis Airport

- Mall of America

- NYC

- Seattle Airport

- Los Angeles International Airport

- Both Disney parks (LA and FL)

- Queen Mary (the original)

- Legoland

- Victoria Clipper

- Plus all the train stations around the Northeast (though we are coming home on the Adirondack from Montreal to Philly after our cruise in 2 weeks, so I will have new adventures to tell - like going when we stop over at a station on the way)

We love travelling and looking for grass is the first thing we do when we stop!

Many of our volunteers and the spokesdog handlers travel via air with the SD in training. I have this picture of coach seats and large goldens and can't quite see how it works, . :)

It does. We had a Northwest flight where Werin (70lbs of golden lab) wiggled under the seat in front -- she did great!

We usually sit in Bulkhead when flying:

"Bulkhead" seats are (the row of seats that have no seats in front of them, just a wall.) They, usually, are bigger in floor space, allowing the dog room to really lay down and not be "scrunched up!" It means that Brenda will take-up the floor space of the seat next to mine and even some of the space where my feet go! She's a big girl!!!!!! I can rest my feet against the wall or next to her!

Depending on the size of the airplane, the bulkhead seat can be quite large. And, then there's airplanes like; "Express Jet" which only holds 70-80 people; bulkhead can be a lot smaller but still bigger, in floor space than the other seats.

Sometimes bulkhead seats are already taken by passengers who prefer them. They're asked if they will move for a Service Dog and we've been very lucky....I hope that luck doesn't run out!

I NEVER take Brenda into the airplane bathroom with me. I try and do all hers and my bathroom needs prior to boarding! Although, if I must go, I give her the command "down/stay" and she waits for me! As it is....it requires manipulation, on my part, just to get past her on the floor (unless, I take the aisle seat) but, I love looking out the window so a little more concessions are made on both our parts.

Brenda is only given and occasional ice chip, while flying (if the weather is particularly warm) so her comfort zone is kept pretty much intact. She's fed in the early morning and evening, all of which is flexible (we try to keep to a schedule but have learned to bend it a bit!) I also try and fly inbetween her eating times, if at all possible!

We're the first to board and can be the first to get off.....I prefer to wait until everyone else has gotten off....then I know no one will be trampling her or rushing us down the aisle. I hate those people who will literally "push" you if you're not moving fast enough for them......

Walking with a Service Dog lends new meaning to the words "wide load ahead!"

I've been lurking for a long time and thought it was time to post. I can empathize with some of the recent posts. We just got back from the vet with our guide dog puppy. She is 15 weeks old so doesn't have all her shots yet. That means she can't relieve herself on "unprotected grass" yet. So, we are always looking for paved places to "busy" her. Since it's summer in Texas that also means shady places. They are few and far between. Then after we we go to all that work of finding a shady, paved place she decides she will wait until we get home. :rolleyes: It will be nice when she can go on any surface. Even after that we try to busy then every so often on different surfaces so they realize they can do it if they have to.

We took our first guide dog puppy in training with us on 13 flights. On one of the last flights when she was a full grown dog I needed to use the rest room. Always looking for new experiences to expose the dog to I decided she would accompany me. On this flight the WC was forward from my seat, so off we go up the aisle. As the dog was entering the WC ahead of me I happened to glance back down the aisle and there were people hanging out of their seats on both sides of the aisles watching us looking wide-eyed and puzzled. It was a tight squeeze in the WC but she curled up nicely. When we were returning to our seat we got lots of comments like, "I didn't think she would fit." and "I'm amazed that you both made it." I was chuckling by the time we got back to my seat.

Mary

Mary: First, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for giving of yourself and family to help people who you may never even know! You are a miracle worker; handing a miracle maker to someone else!!!!!!!

Your story was so cute.....Brenda is black; everything on the floor winds-up on her and can be seen by all! It can be disgusting, especially at the beauty and nail salon! She's in the habit of shaking herself and that does get rid of some of the debris but she's like a magnet. I can bring her out, from under a table, at a restaurant and she'll have a french fry stuck to her butt (believe me, if she could reach it, it would be gone!)

I am sickened by what can wind-up on her, after sitting in a bathroom stall and then taking her back to the dinner table. I give her the command to "stand", while in a bathroom and, she does. But, it doesn't leave much room for both of us in a regular stall! And, certainly not in an airplane bathroom. :eek:

Oh! Well! The trials and tribulations of life with a Service Dog!!!! :p

Please write again with some more of your great stories, I love reading them.

Have you cruised with one of your pups yet?

My husband and I are raising our 4th guide dog puppy. The first was with Southeastern Guide Dogs and is a guide dog in FL. The other three are with the Guide Dogs of Texas. One dog is ready to be matched in a few months. Another one is getting further training with another puppy raiser. And we have one that is just beginning to grow up and learn all she needs to know.

We have not cruised with a guide dog puppy as they are not allowed on the ships - only full fledged guide dogs. But we did cruise with two guide dog teams last January on RCCL's Voyager of the Seas. Below is a link for some pictures from that cruise on a blog I did for our third puppy, a labradoodle. And we are cruising again this January. So far two other teams are going.

http://masonstales.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

This is a belated thank you for those of you who answered some of my questions before last year's cruise.

Mary

Your story was so cute.....Brenda is black; everything on the floor winds-up on her and can be seen by all! It can be disgusting, especially at the beauty and nail salon! She's in the habit of shaking herself and that does get rid of some of the debris but she's like a magnet. I can bring her out, from under a table, at a restaurant and she'll have a french fry stuck to her butt (believe me, if she could reach it, it would be gone!)

I am sickened by what can wind-up on her, after sitting in a bathroom stall and then taking her back to the dinner table. I give her the command to "stand", while in a bathroom and, she does. But, it doesn't leave much room for both of us in a regular stall! And, certainly not in an airplane bathroom. :eek:

LOL -- I always hate to think what Werin picks up from bathroom floors, but hadn't thought about the "trials" of a black service dog. Ha, Ha. I do have to say, the best feeling in the world is getting up from eating a meal or on the plane and Werin pops out and you can hear the chorus of whispered, "I had no idea they had a dog under there." Music to the ears.

One of our worst spots is the dark blue carpet at church. Werin leaves a trail of golden hairs everywhere, even though we brush every day. I now come prepared with a sticky roller to "mop" up the trail.

Mary - thanks for training service dogs. Thanks to ours, Cameron now has a life that is full of adventure, travel and interaction. Before Werin came Cameron barely talked and would break down into a terror filled frustration fit virtually everywhere we went. Now he is calm as a cucumber, talks to all, and LOVES travel. He transferred this last year to regular 4th grade without an aid. Everyone including us say Werin saved our little guy. Werin has been one of the biggest blessings in our life. Thanks for helping to make that miracle happen for others.

I can bring her out, from under a table, at a restaurant and she'll have a french fry stuck to her butt (believe me, if she could reach it, it would be gone!)

Roz;

Oh my, I laughed out loud on that one! I can't tell you number of times we have said "Butt check on aisle 13!" About Reno. Even though he isn't a SD, we have some wild trials and tribulations!

My kitty is stalking a lizard that is in the house. Its a little bitty guy or I would be freaking out. I have to go to work, so hopefully it will all work out. So far Reno hasn't gotten involved. He's too comfy on the tile floor sacked out.

Everyone have a great day. Hugs and kisses to all the fur babies and everyone that has a hand in doing the beautiful service to help those less fortunate. I work with Special Ed kids and they make my day and definately humble me.

(I did this post earlier but it didn't show up.)

Nancy

Mary, I would love to hear some of your stories raising guide dogs. I work with service dogs in training, but the program is structered differently. The dogs are raised and trained at the training facility. Going home and out on outings with volunteers, Most are placed at about 18 months of age.

Boy! Talk about tears this morning!!!!! I am so touched by some of your stories!!!!

MARY: The pictures of the Guide Dogs on RCCL were priceless! Thank you for sharing them......Mason is so, so cute.... how lucky the person who gets him will be!!! We have not taken Brenda on RCCL cruiselines, yet! I'm so happy to see that they were so accommodating!

And, I know exactly what you mean about the "potty" question....I swear, I'm going to have a "T" Shirt made with the answer on it!!!!

PETER and Family: Cameron's life has changed so much....isn't it a miracle? Thank you for bringing Werin into his life. It's a lot of work for all of you....but, isn't a beautiful thing to see? That bond between the two of them says it all!!!!!!! And, what Werin will continue to bring to Cameron, well, it's just worth it all!!!

NANCY: How's the lizard? And, "Butt check", good words to remember!

Take care everyone....I'm off to "Brenda's Beauty Shop" appointment! I'm sure it will feel good, for her. After all the craziness that she's been through these past months, she will love the pampering!!! :)

I don't have problems with things being stuck to my SD's coat (mostly black), but for those who do, you can ask at restaurants for them to clean under the table before you sit down. That way, no French fries or other ickies will be stuck to any doggy butts. ;)

I never allow my SD to sit or lay in a bathroom - way too icky!!! She knows she is to stand (and walk, of course, LOL) only. We don't fit in a regular stall, so use the larger or accessible stalls (whichever is in that particular bathroom).

I had young dog out on an outing this week. She did so well waiting for over 30 minutes for a table, and then lying down and sleeping almost thru the meal. I had checked the floor before sitting and it was clean(yea). As we were finishing our meal, my four footed furry friend was standing under the table and was very quiet. Uh Oh!! I checked and sure enough she had found some gum stuck under the table! Ewhhhhhhhh. So, I now look not under under the table, but really "under the table"!!!!!!

I had young dog out on an outing this week. She did so well waiting for over 30 minutes for a table, and then lying down and sleeping almost thru the meal. I had checked the floor before sitting and it was clean(yea). As we were finishing our meal, my four footed furry friend was standing under the table and was very quiet. Uh Oh!! I checked and sure enough she had found some gum stuck under the table! Ewhhhhhhhh. So, I now look not under under the table, but really "under the table"!!!!!!

You think it's bad with dogs? How about children? A friend overheard her young child playing with a friend one day. The little girl said, "I get gum when I go to church on Sunday." The mom's ears perked up since she didn't give her children gum on Sundays, or any other day for that matter. The other little girl asked where she got it from. The reply was, "I reach under the pew and feel for it. I can usually find some." Ewhhhh!

You asked for some guide dog puppy stories so I'll drop by occasionally and share some. Our guide dog puppies go to church with us on Sundays. We start that as soon as we get them so they get used to everything. It's nice that they sleep a lot when they are little. They usually are a little restless for the first part of the service so we bring a toy to keep them occupied. They usually calm down and sleep through the sermons. They are the only ones with express permission to sleep through the sermon. :) When they are really little I take them out just before the end of the service. That way they can go "busy" before we return and talk to people. It we don't leave early we get caught by too many people and the puppy may have an accident. When they get older we don't have to leave early.

When they are really young we let people pet them, if they are sitting nicely, even if they are "in coat." It's part of the socialization process. Later we take the coat off and let people pet them. Even later people can no longer pet them when we are out in public.

We are raising our 4th puppy and have only had one accident in church. Our latest puppy at 13 weeks old had already pooed and peed twice before we left home. When we got to church we gave her another chance and she peed again. We walked into the lobby and I was talking to a friend. I looked down and the puppy had just pooed on the carpet! Having pooed twice before 9:30 we certainly didn't expect that. My DH, Wes, had gone across the lobby to get our name tags. He had the back pack, a.k.a. diaper bag, with the clean up materials. I urgently asked my friend to go get him. I stood in front of the poo and guarded it so no one would step in it. (Oh the things we do for these puppies. :p )

Meanwhile someone came by and asked if I knew the puppy had pooed. Couldn't he tell by the embarrased look on my red face that I was well aware of the situation? My friend came back with paper towels at the same time as Wes. I cleaned up the pile while Wes got a bag out of the back pack (diaper bag). I had our liquid hand cleanser to really clean the carpet well. Another friend came to help and carried the bag away. Don't know where he took it. I was just glad to get rid of it. During this whole process the puppy just sat and watched us all. She was probably thinking that her poo must be really important since there were 4 people attending to it. :D

Mary

I love that story! It is amazing how in tune we get to the bowel and bladder habits of our young friends. My back pack is loaded with all sorts of accident clean up stuff as well. Plus toys, a chew toy, etc.

I also allow petting from strangers when I have a young pup out as part of the socialization. With the older dog, I discourage this as I want them to learn to focus completley on me. It is hard to say no when someone asks, I just realize how important this is for this dog's future.

Hi Roz

Were taking our guide dog for the blind to the Mexican Rivera in December. What documents do we need to have with us? and whats your experience with Carnival. Were also planning a cruise on the Celebrity next June to Italy, Turkey, and Greece.

We're back!!!

Will travels with a Service Dog ever become easier?????

We've flown, with Brenda and this route about a dozen time....back and forth to Eugene, Oregon....Direct flight...Bulkhead seats....And, there's always someone new (who works for the airline) who doesn't know what to do with a Service Dog; where they may or may not sit; what their rights are....etc., etc. I know I should use my best face and a lot of patience...but, sometimes it's really hard.

Remember: When traveling with a SD give yourself a lot of extra time for the folks in "Check-In" and the "TSA" who don't have a clue how to handle the "Service Dogs!"

Mary: I, too, loved the story of the "gum" and the "pooh"!!!! What a good "Mommy" you are; to protect your pup and his pooh!!!!!! I would have felt just like you! Embarrassment and "what else can I do?"

acs: The Mexican Riviera, on Carnival, will be a lot fun for all of you. If you have a veranda cabin, they will place a 4x4 box filled with mulch/sod or wood shavings directly on your veranda or in a crew working closet (near your cabin) or on a public deck. On Carnival, we've had it in all of the above places and because they were not prepared for us, they litereally went off the ship (in San Diego) and got a bucket of dirt (from under a tree) for the box.

Each cruiseline has a "Guest Access Services Department".....You will need to fax to them: Name of Ship; Date; Cabin Number and all the dogs paperwork (below).

Carnival: Fax: 800.532.9225

Phone: 800.327.5782

I also brought a sign that read, "DO NOT PUT TRASH OR CIGARETTE BUTTS IN BOX; FOR DOG USE ONLY!" If the box is placed on a public deck - Sometimes the public can be pretty unaware of the use of the box! Also, don't forget to bring some litter removal bags, so that you can pick up the "pooh"! And, just leave the bag outside of the box and the crew will dispose of it! (if they don't supply a waste recepticle for you!)

Documentation needed:

• Passport (current)
  • Agricultural Inspection Form (from Vet.)
  • Updated Veterinary Exam. (with updated immunization record-from Vet.) This should also state that the SD is on Heartguard and Flea & Tick prevention.
  • City License (most U.S. cities require this of all dogs. (Service Dogs get them but don't have to pay.)
  • Organization Training Certificate (some orgs. don't give these.)
  • Copy of ADA Access Laws (not required but certainly helpful.) It's actually on the back of the Graduation License given by CCI. (Canine Companions for Independence), where Brenda was trained.

When you arrive, on board, go to the Purser's Desk and give them a copy of all of the above. They will present it to the Immigration Authorities when the ship docks in every port and you're good to go!!!

Celebrity will require exactly the same thing.

Have a wonderful cruise(s) and soon it all will be second nature to you!

Remember; a lot of folks will ask to "pat" your dog or will just reach over and "grab" a touch of him/her! It's instinctual to some folks who just can't resist a well behaved dog. Don't get upset, tell them that you'll be sitting somewhere later and they can come by and "pat" him then! Don't be afraid to stick to your rules of behavior!!!!!!

You will also come across some folks who do not want your dog near them, anywhere! Be prepared for them! Although this is a "public place!" They were not expecting to see a dog on a cruise ship!

YOU BOTH HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE ANYWHERE ON THE SHIP THAT THE PUBLIC CAN GO!

Roz: That has got to be so frustrating. You would think they have enough SD going thru that they would get it down. One can hope, I guess. I'm glad Brenny is a good girl and takes it in stride.

As for the lizard, finally caught and returned to the wild! Our backyard. Hopefully he won't get in again or that he was so frightened he won't come back. DH, grandson, kitty and Reno were all trying to catch him! That must have been a kodak moment that I missed.

Nancy

Nancy: It's so weird that you mention a lizard.....one has crawled its way into our office....and, my boss jumped on top of his desk! Too funny! What a whimp!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The poor thing is now under the cubicle, somewhere. I hope it doesn't pop out when Brenny sees it.......I'm sure she'd want to play.

It's about 105 degrees outside and I don't blame him for wanting to come inside.....the lizard that is!!!!:p

I have read this whole thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not a SD person but I do have a wonderful four legged son and daughter. Now that our 2 legged daughters are married and living away, these are our babies. We lost our 14 year old Border collie last August. Having to put her down and holding her while she passed was one of the hardest things we've ever had to do. We're still struggling almost a year later. We have since rescued an Australian Red Border Collie and a Mini-Australian Shepherd. We love them dearly. The Border collie has decided he's my baby.

I notice that most of you are frustrated with non-SD people's lack of knowledge of your situation. I had no idea that there were service dogs for so many different things, until I read this thread. Please don't expect people to know what you know. We have had no reason to have to know it (yet). Most of us mean no harm to you or your doggies. Maybe some of you could find a way for there to be more publicity on this so that the rest of us would understand what we can/should or cannot/shouldn't do when we come face to face with you and your furry. Also, we have many more people coming in to the places of business with a dog that is NOT a service animal, than the ones that are. It is natural for us to question. Please understand our point of reference...."the people that bring in their dog just to see if they can get by with it".:rolleyes: :cool:

I love dogs (animals in general). I would almost have to tie my hands behind me to keep from petting one that was standing beside me. When I have to leave my babies at home it almost kills me, so a doggie substitute would really be welcome. Don't worry, I'll go out right now and buy some rope. I really do understand the reasoning behind the "do not pet" rule. I'm just telling you that for a dog lover like me, it's very hard not to love up on 'em.

I hope you won't be upset with me for asking but what does an autism dog do? I've never heard of that and would like to be better informed.

If you ever see me on a cruise, I'll be the one walking quickly to the other side of the ship away from your dog. Not because I don't like her/him, but because I DO!;)

AWWWWW!!!!....nseagirl: Please, please don't avoid us and don't go to the other side of the ship.....we welcome your good questions and your friendships. We even allow for "patting" time. It's such a joy to watch these dogs behaving so well in any venue!!!! :)

When we talk about folks behaving badly and our frustration in dealing with them, they're very few and far between. Where we get the most frustrated is the TSA or scheduling agents who should understand and realize the "Service Dog" and their need to be in the public. Afterall, if it weren't for the "Drug/Bomb Sniffing/contriband control" Dog, we would all be in a lot of trouble.....and, of course the "Police and Service Duty Dog", these heros do more for all of us and aren't always, "in your face!"

I'm sorry about your loss of your "furry-friend", you had me in tears. It's a reality that we all have to face, eventually but it never makes it easier knowing we have to face it!!! :( Thank you for sharing your story and for explaining how most of the general public feels!

There's a lot of stories being done on T.V. about the Service Dog. There was one, just recently, on 60 Minutes......some people are not interested in learning or seeing what's happening in the SD world. It's amazing stuff!!!!! But, you're right, there should be more.......

There are: Seeing Eye Dogs; Hearing Dogs; Facitlity Dogs (work with a professional in a healthcare setting); Service Dogs (assist adults/children with physical disabilities by performing daily tasks); Skilled Companions (enhance independence for children/adults with physical/cognitive and developmental disabilities); Dogs who alert to seizures; heart and blood disorders; changes in diabetic control and on and on.

A Skilled Companion Dog would be perfect for a child with Autism....It's a wonderful thing to watch the difference that these dogs can make in completing these children's worlds!!!!!! ;)

Pretty amazing! With the right training and behavior modification a dog or for that matter other animals can be taught/trained to do a myriad of tasks that are requested of them.

Again, thanks for showing interest and for caring!!!!! :)