Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

You know, Roz? I believe you mean that, but there have been a couple of others on this thread that seem to almost have a chip on their shoulders against able-bodied persons :confused:. They seem defensive about it to me. I realize that disabled people have a struggle, but in real life, so does everyone. I'm sure that I will upset those same people by saying what I feel about this, but so be it. They'll wonder why I'm here at all. I read this thread because of the awe in which I hold the wonderful furries that can do all these amazing things. I also am in awe of the trainers because, I admit it, I don't do that very well at all. So, let us stand in amazement without turning up your nose at us. There are a lot of us that would do anything we could to help any of you that needed us. BUT, there's that chip again.

Roz, I hope I get to see you and Brenda on a cruise sometime. I promise to give you and Brenny your space but expect me to love on her when you say it's ok. She deserves it!! So do I!!

There, I'm off my soapbox. Enjoy the rest of your thread.

I paticipate in presentations re: service dogs quite frequently. The purpose is to educate the public abt the dogs and their training. And to give a different perspective on people with "disabilities".

Most of the dogs I work with are being trained as seizure response dogs, hearing alert dogs and a general service dog(ie: someone in a wheelchair). These dogs are being trained, to assist their "person" with activities of daily living, so they can have more independence. When someone other than their person interacts with the dog, it takes the dog's focus off their person. For many this isn't too critical, and often they will welcome pats for their friends. But for some this could affect their safety and that is a huge reason not to pat our interact with these dogs.

I understand what you're saying and I agree that the dogs shouldn't be distracted but to call us "stalkers"? and to get all upset when we ask questions? That, I don't understand.

I must have missed that comment. I can see where that might have hurt your feelings. I had a dog out today and could see some children so excited to see him. I was walking down some stairs and I heard the parents telling them no, that dog was helping me becuase I couldn't see. Typical assumption seeing a service dog. I told them when I got down the stairs I would talk to the. Used that as an opportunity to tell them about other types of service dogs and to thank the parents for using their intervention. Of course after that I had my dog sit using sign language and let the kids pat her. But I did stess rhe importance of asking for permission to pat, and to understand if someone says no they aren't being mean.

I must have missed that comment. I can see where that might have hurt your feelings. I had a dog out today and could see some children so excited to see him. I was walking down some stairs and I heard the parents telling them no, that dog was helping me becuase I couldn't see. Typical assumption seeing a service dog. I told them when I got down the stairs I would talk to the. Used that as an opportunity to tell them about other types of service dogs and to thank the parents for using their intervention. Of course after that I had my dog sit using sign language and let the kids pat her. But I did stess rhe importance of asking for permission to pat, and to understand if someone says no they aren't being mean.

Sounds like you handled that beautifully! Thanks for your patience with those people. You taught them important lessons that, hopefully, they'll remember in the future. You sound like a fine ambassador for your group.

I hope you won't be upset with me for asking but what does an autism dog do? I've never heard of that and would like to be better informed.

;)

Thanks for the question and for reading through all the blog on service/disability animals. When my wife approached me with the idea of a service dog for Cameron, whom now 10, was diagnosed with autism at age two, I asked the same question.

While autism is a very broad collection of different symptoms and situations, I'll describe what Werin has done for Cameron by telling a few stories.

When we went for the interview for a Canine Companion, we were nervous, as the interview was a whole day of interacting with dogs and sitting in class. Cameron couldn't really sit still for any amount of time, and would break down into tantrums at a whim. We had waited until he was 5 to apply (the minimum age) after seeing a program started up in Canada. The day started well, but went downhill from there. Cameron was pretty rigid in his routine, and having a day full of different stimuli and actions was sending him into tantrum land. We were pretty worried that if he couldn't show an interest in the dogs at all, that this may not work out. All day, he really showed no interest in the dogs being shown us, and it was everything we could do to keep him with the rest of the group and the activities we would be doing. This was a pre-cursor to the class we would have to undertake which would be 8-10 hours per day for two straight weeks. If we couldn't get through one day with him, how would 2 weeks go?

We were asked into a separate room by the staff, with two dogs, and had the discussion that if Cameron couldn't interact or even be "aware" that the dogs were there - would it be worth going ahead. Then a miracle unfolded, and Cameron started touching the dogs, and responding to them (he didn't really talk at the time) by calling their names, smiling and was a changed little boy for a few moments (Remember that scene from "A Winkle in Time" when Meg is trying to pull Charles back from "It" and she sees a glimpse of the old Charles) It was the same for those few moments. We saw it and the staff saw it, and we were on the list for a match.

A year or so later we went to training, with weeks of prep and scheduling work with his therapist to get him ready for two weeks of classes and interaction. Cameron from about 1 year and a half to the prep for the class, really was in his own world. Whatever happened revolved around him, and he really didn't notice other people or things coming in, unless he was forced to. For example, if Susan and I headed out for a movie or dinner, he wouldn't cry or even know we were gone - it was like his memory was just a few minutes, and then he was onto something else. The doctor had told us that Cameron's mind was much like an animals, with constant distractions and not really being able to predict what was coming next or being able to project.

I won't go into the whole story now of our training, but at the end of the two weeks there is a graduation, and the final night Werin was to go for a night with her trainers and the family that raised her. Cameron had been doing really well with Werin, and slept with her every night the second week. Well when the trainers came to take her with them for the night, Cameron balled and balled - and while you would normally think this would be a problem, we were grinning ear to ear, as we realized that Cameron had bonded with Werin, when he had bonded to nothing else in his life, including us. A breakthrough and miracle.

It has been miracles after miracles for Cameron, thanks to Werin at his side, and interacting him in a way that you could literally see Werin draw Cameron into this world with the rest of us.

Functionally how it works with Werin, is she goes everywhere we go. Stores, restaurants, movies, travel. Everywhere but school, as we are a Skilled Companion team. Susan or I hold Werin for direction or correction and give commands. Cameron has a separate leash for him, which provides us with safety, as he doesn't dart off or get distracted like he used to which was always a problem in going out. As Cameron gets older, he will be able to decide if he wants to self certify, so that he can take Werin on his own once he has a mastery of the commands.

Peter, thanks for the great story about Cameron and Werin. These animals certainly are special and make many lives much better. It makes me even more determined to resolve the following issue.

Yesterday, I went to a restaurant with some friends and our guide dog puppy in training. In Texas guide dogs in training and their trainers (or volunteer puppy raisesrs as is our case) are given the same rights as service dog teams. We've gone to many restaurants over the years with no problems but in this case we were refused service. It was an oriental restaurant. I am sensitive to the fact that in their culture dogs are considered dirty and would not be allowed around food. But they still have to obey the laws of the country in which they now reside. We've had objections at other two other oriental restaurants but when we explained that the dog was a service dog in training or explained the law they accepted it. However this restaurant refused to serve us.

I showed my i.d. from the Guide Dogs of Texas which states the law and that "denial of access to a public facilty to a guide dog in training is a violation of Texas law." The manager would not listen or even look at the card. I explained that she was breaking the law and she said that the Dept. of Health said she couldn't have dogs in the restaurant. I said that in most cases that is true but not for guide dogs or those in training.

After much discussion she tried to seem empathetic and said that she had a friend who was blind with a dog and when he/she went somewhere the dog was left outside the restaurant. :eek: Imagine leaving your service animal outside the restaurant?! I told her that she could be sued for denying the rights for a disabled person, but she wasn't listening.

I was embarrassed for my friends who were with me. They explained to the manager that they often came to this restaurant but the lady would not budge. She said that her customers would be offended by having a dog in the restaurant. They asked what I wanted do. I said if it were just my husband and me we would call the police and ask them to come and explain the law to the manager, but I didn't want to push the issue at this point with them. But my friend handed me his cell phone. As it turned out I was not able to get in touch with the local police department (I was dialing the wrong number) so we left. We went to another restaurant where everyone oohed and aahhed over our 4 month old puppy who was very well behaved at both restaurants.

There will be follow up. We had a planned walk planned with the Puppy Raising Program Coordinator for GDTx on Tuesday. We will likely return to that restaurant for lunch. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. I knew you all would understand.

Thanks for a little peek into the world of service dogs and autism. It takes my breath away at times how dogs can make such a difference in someone's life. I believe you mentioned once that Werin was a whippet? Do you get challenged much as he doesn't look like a typical service dog? I might be working with a Corgi soon, and I can only imagine the comments when I take him out in public.

Thanks for a little peek into the world of service dogs and autism. It takes my breath away at times how dogs can make such a difference in someone's life. I believe you mentioned once that Werin was a whippet? Do you get challenged much as he doesn't look like a typical service dog? I might be working with a Corgi soon, and I can only imagine the comments when I take him out in public.

Sorry to disappoint but Werin is a Golden Retriever. We do run into the occasional problem because Cameron is mobile, so we typically get questions by the staff. Usually when we explain it is A.O.K.

A corgi huh? I have a service dog that is a Japanese chin around 10 pounds. Yes I do get a lot of " she's too small to be a service dog" kind of things. Drives me crazy! I just tell them that size doesn't always matter and it depends on what kind of job that she is required to do. They are starting to realize that all small dogs are not born Yappers and can be used for many areas of service. I know another lady that writes on here from Canada that has a small toy poodle as a hearing dog I believe. Just answer like you would if she were the biggest of serivce dogs and you will be fine.

Sorry to disappoint but Werin is a Golden Retriever. We do run into the occasional problem because Cameron is mobile, so we typically get questions by the staff. Usually when we explain it is A.O.K.

Most of the dogs I work with are golden retrievers and golden/lab mixes, so the corgi will be intersting. I am working with a few who are being trained as hearing alert dogs. I am having fun learning some ASL and some of the differences in training. Never a dull day in the world of SD.

I'm just wondering if any of you that have had trouble with acceptance of your SD's have contacted area newspapers and had them do a story on the different kinds of dogs that are used for different types of issues. I know that most people think of see and eye dogs when they think of service dogs, and usually think of German Shepherds or the like. I think a media campaign on the issue would be great for everyone. I know I'd love to know more and I'm sure others would also. Maybe mags like People or Redbook, etc. would be a good idea. For any of you who live in North Carolina, Our State Magazine would be good.

Are there any good books available on the subject?

BTW, thanks so much for the education on autism doggies. I had no idea that they would have that effect. I'm totally impressed!!

I have a huge heart and would love to be involved in this cause but I have no idea how I could be of use. Any ideas? I know that fostering would be out because I'd end up keeping every one!

Yesterday, I went to a restaurant with some friends and our guide dog puppy in training. In Texas guide dogs in training and their trainers (or volunteer puppy raisesrs as is our case) are given the same rights as service dog teams. We've gone to many restaurants over the years with no problems but in this case we were refused service. It was an oriental restaurant. I am sensitive to the fact that in their culture dogs are considered dirty and would not be allowed around food. But they still have to obey the laws of the country in which they now reside. We've had objections at other two other oriental restaurants but when we explained that the dog was a service dog in training or explained the law they accepted it. However this restaurant refused to serve us.

There will be follow up. We had a planned walk planned with the Puppy Raising Program Coordinator for GDTx on Tuesday. We will likely return to that restaurant for lunch. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Try printing off this sheet -- it really helps, esp. with the official Department of Justice logo on it. We carry this one for situations just like this.

http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

Much worse than suits, you can call the Department of Justice hotline to report a compliant against that business

I'm just wondering if any of you that have had trouble with acceptance of your SD's have contacted area newspapers and had them do a story on the different kinds of dogs that are used for different types of issues. I know that most people think of see and eye dogs when they think of service dogs, and usually think of German Shepherds or the like. I think a media campaign on the issue would be great for everyone. I know I'd love to know more and I'm sure others would also. Maybe mags like People or Redbook, etc. would be a good idea. For any of you who live in North Carolina, Our State Magazine would be good.

BTW, thanks so much for the education on autism doggies. I had no idea that they would have that effect. I'm totally impressed!!

I have a huge heart and would love to be involved in this cause but I have no idea how I could be of use. Any ideas? I know that fostering would be out because I'd end up keeping every one!

I finished a book called "Paws and Effect". It talked about the healing power of dogs and several chapters did deal with different types of service dogs and training programs.

Try printing off this sheet -- it really helps, esp. with the official Department of Justice logo on it. We carry this one for situations just like this.

http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

Much worse than suits, you can call the Department of Justice hotline to report a compliant against that business

Would you believe that one branch of the post office in my area has a sign that says only seeing eye dogs are allowed in?!!! He has challenged many of our volunteers when approached. I told one of the trainers I thought it was time for a group outing to that post office.

The time I saw the sign I did not have a dog with me, and did not feel like challenging it. One day I am sure I will.

Peter; Your stories of our friend Cameron and Werin are always so, so touching and heartfelt. I am very familiar with CCI's routines; the interview process; the training and graduation.....it must have been a very emotional day for all of you when Werin actually came home with you!!!!!

CCI only trains Golden Retrievers, Labs, and a cross between them; which makes for the most amazing genetic construction of a dog! They've been known to train poodles (for very special circumstances) and, they used to use Corgi's for Hearing Dogs. A lot of men complained that they wanted a more "masculine" dog.....hence, the Golden/Lab! The Labradoodle is on the horizon!!!

I, too, have had problems with Asian "style" restaurants. We have stopped going to one, in our area, just because they gave us such a hard time. Their loss!!!! We eat out a lot!!!!!:(

Honestly, if you're not blind, some of the public has no clue about any other types of service dogs!

Making us all more "public" is a great idea. And, with all the dogs being trained and available, at CCI for the Hearing impaired or people who need help with their daily activities; the public will get to see more and more of these dogs, in the near future!!!!! IT'S A SLOW PROCESS!!!!

And, the general public does not learn quickly or easily. People are very reticent to change what used to be considered "normal" in their environment! :rolleyes:

Also, Canine Companions for Independence has a wonderful web-site and an online store; where you can buy books on the subject of "Service Dogs!" or you may go to Amazon.com and type in "Service Dogs", there are a lot of wonderful books there, as well! :)

nseagirl: There's lots of volunteer tasks that you can do for CCI. If you happen to live close enough to a kennel (look at their website for locations, in your area) hopefully, there is one and you can help with team-training and graduations; in the kennels; in the Vet Clinic or you can become a Puppy Raiser. Call them......

And, more importantly, THANK YOU, for caring so much for being willing to be an advocate in any way! We need more of YOU!!!!!! :p

If you would like to email me I might have a suggestion for you. ramays@charter.net

I am an elected county official. I just bought a book recommended to me on this board (Paws and Effect). I'm wondering if you think my constituents would understand if I don't show up for work tomorrow so that I can finish it (if I don't finish it before I go to sleep tonight)? It's a wonderful book so far and I don't want to put it down to do a mundane thing like WORK!:D :D

(thanks Sunshine, I'll email when I finish this book.)

nseagirl: Maybe I've been training dogs too long........but, WHAAAAAT????? :confused:

Sunshine recommended the book "Paws and Effect" to me. I bought it yesterday and can't put it down (though did finally put it down to sleep). I was asking Ann Landers what she thought the people that elect me would think if I just stayed home today and read this book. I guess they probably wouldn't like it much.;)

OHHHHHHHH!!!! Just like a politician to totally confuse the masses!!! :p

I saved "Marley & Me" for reading, while resting on a cruise ship! (The Diamond Princess)!

I wound-up crying more on that cruise than resting! What a great book! What an amazingly wonderful dog (a bit naughty but wonderful)! I can't wait to see the movie!!! Although, it will be a tear-jerker!!!!!

Now, go back to doing what public servants are supposed to do....????:rolleyes: ;)

Sunshine recommended the book "Paws and Effect" to me. I bought it yesterday and can't put it down (though did finally put it down to sleep). I was asking Ann Landers what she thought the people that elect me would think if I just stayed home today and read this book. I guess they probably wouldn't like it much.;)

I led a tour out at the training facility. The woman who had requested the tour had read the book, and since we were mentioned in one of the chapters, and she was visiting her family, she asked to see us. So, then I had to go out and buy the book, and also could not put it down.

Also loved Marley and Me and don't get me started on Old Yeller!!

I have a cruise coming up in November and need to plan my reading. Open to suggestions!