Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Roz,

We used to live close to the Metrolink line as well, in fact, we lived in Wood Ranch and would take it in to Woodland Hills (with a little van assistance) when we lived out there about 12 years ago and both Susan and I worked at Prudential. (that was way before it was cool to take the train to commute instead of your car).

We used to love going on the train, and it's heartbreaking to see the metrolink on its side. It had just started up when we were taking it.

It's amazing what becomes "cool", once it starts hitting the pocket book; riding the train seemed like the best thing to do! For many families life will never be the same. My thoughts and prayers go out to them!

We owned a home in Chatsworth and still have a business there! We love to take the Metrolink into downtown L.A. (there's so many wonderful, old restaurants to go to) or, the Amtrak to Santa Barbara or San Diego. So convenient, not expensive and fun. And, Brenda loves it!

We're not going to take the train for a while! Of course, driving to all our favorite places doesn't hold much glory either!!!

Yesterday, Metrolink was "up" and running, like nothing happened. Of course, when it passed by the area where the trains collided it was very, very sad.

There's a private school, that is located right near the tracks, where they set-up their triage, right after the accident and to watch the children playing right next to where the accident happend, is eerie!!!!!

It's a miracle how we can clean-up and move on!!!!!!

Tis the reality of "life!"

Reporter...So Orson, you just graduated CCI. What are you going to do now?

Orson...I just moved in with my forever family, and I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!

Yup...last night we finaly decided we will be going next month. We wanted to see how he would make the transition. We've taken him

to some different places with alot of people, noise and smells. He

did great in all of them. And since it will be October and only four

days, we are going. We also go every year so we don't stay in the

parks from sun-up to sun-down. We enjoy "down time" at the resort.

I don't know who is luckier, Orson or his new family!! It sounds like a perfect match, I love looking at his picture. I am off to graduation tonight, can't wait to see what dogs graduate and who their new people are? It is always an emotional night, and tomorow I will be providing (with two others) a going away brunch at the hotel the recepients stay at.

Service dogs are allowed to relieve themselves in the park (bring your bags and cleaning items), but it can be tricky with gates around grass areas. We have always asked and found great spots with some help that are out of the way in every park. Sometimes there are "cast areas" that are the best choice -- just ask.

At Disney, SDs can only potty in the designated potty areas, not just on any grassy, mulch, or curb areas in the parks. The disabilities pamphlets at each park list the general areas where such spots are (i.e. nearby X location) - ask a cast member (employee) where exactly the spots are (though not every one will know). Most spots are backstage (employee-only areas) and some cast members insist on staying with you the whole time you're backstage. The only one I can think of that isn't backstage is the kennel run.

I was at the library looking at travel guides for upcoming cruise. As I was leaving, I walked by the animal section and a large coffee table book caught my eye. It was entitled "Dogs of 911". It told stories of the search and rescue dogs that worked at ground zero and the pentagon. Mostly labs, but some golden's and shepherds and border collies. It was so touching. Thought I'd share.

Thanks, Sunshine. I often wonder if they have the respiratory problems that the humans ended up with. You would think they would be more exposed with those noses to the grind stone. Bless them all. Handlers included.

Actually they did some studies and found that the dogs that were at the site, and a group of control dogs, had about the same rate of problems. I found that interesting since the dogs did not have any haz mat suits, foot coverings etc.

Disney Dad, It's been a while since I've checked these boards but came on to see how the training went. My husband has a Seeing Eye Dog but I am really amazed at how much all these dogs can do. As you may remember, we took the Disney Cruise this past summer and spent 6 days in the parks. We all had a great time. I would get the booklets from Disney ahead of time so you can kind of plot out potty spots. You may find cast members who don't know where the spots are and it was helpful to us to have the guides and show them what it said.

Congratulations on your new addition. If you have Disney related questions feel free to contact me.

We took Bailey to Universal Studios in Hollywood this summer. They had a small fenced grass area with bags that said something like "Service Dog relief area" All of the employees were well trained re: dogs. Bailey even went on some rides. They had signs on some rides that said "Not recommended for Service dogs"

It is so nice to be able to go out and enjoy things and not have a hassle at every turn. Universal Studios should get some kind of award for employee awareness.

Disney Dad, It's been a while since I've checked these boards but came on to see how the training went. My husband has a Seeing Eye Dog but I am really amazed at how much all these dogs can do. As you may remember, we took the Disney Cruise this past summer and spent 6 days in the parks. We all had a great time. I would get the booklets from Disney ahead of time so you can kind of plot out potty spots. You may find cast members who don't know where the spots are and it was helpful to us to have the guides and show them what it said.

Congratulations on your new addition. If you have Disney related questions feel free to contact me.

I am so glad you came back on to post. When I read Disney Dad's great news, I was thinking about that beautiful german shepherd and his fun cruise and days at Disney. I loved your review. I share things I hear on this forum with other volunteer handlers that I work with. And last night at graduation(for SD and their new recepients) I mentioned this to a few as a good place to glean information from seasoned SD teams. So who knows, maybe some new posters will come on line.

cj: Good to hear from you, again. Have you done much traveling this summer?

sunshine: Good idea....it would be wonderful to have trainers and puppy raisers come onboard and share some of their stories.

Also, the wonderful SD's that served us on 911 had some very severe paw and leg injuries. Not to speak of the depression that was so rampant amongst the service handlers and dogs alike!

It is so rewarding when not only the handler but the SD can locate someone (hopefully) alive but scenting even just a body can be uplifting for the dogs. Can you imagine the confusion that wnet on on the grounds of the towers. There was scent everywhere! Enough of those thoughts.

These amazing SD's can not be repaid enough for their work ethic, in all that they do!!!!!

When I was looking at this wonderful book abt the four footed heros of 911, I was so touched. Almost every dog, after their shift of searching, then became a therapy dog for the fire fighters and other rescue personal. One trainer told the story of waking up and his SD was not at his side, but snuggled up next to a fire fighter nearby. Gave me such chills.

CCI is now training Service Dogs to work with the men and women who are returning from Iraq and Afganistan. Not only to assist the ones in wheel chairs but help those with PTS (Post Traumatic Stress.)

These brave men and women do not have to face each day afraid; they will have a Service Dog to help see them through each and every day!

CCI used to take the "released dogs" and give them to families or to their puppy raisers.....they are now finding that they can re-direct/train these dogs to be with a service person who is having a difficult time assimilating back into society.

CCI is now training Service Dogs to work with the men and women who are returning from Iraq and Afganistan. Not only to assist the ones in wheel chairs but help those with PTS (Post Traumatic Stress.)

These brave men and women do not have to face each day afraid; they will have a Service Dog to help see them through each and every day!

CCI used to take the "released dogs" and give them to families or to their puppy raisers.....they are now finding that they can re-direct/train these dogs to be with a service person who is having a difficult time assimilating back into society.

That is awesome Roz. Didn't know that, but after watching a show where they went to Walter Reed and some of the great folks there, it makes perfect sense to take release dogs and help the service folks -- VERY COOL!

I'm going to CCI, in mid October, to help Brenda to add some more skills to her repertoire! She'll be able to do everything except the dishes and make beds......I'll cut her some slack on those!!!!

While I'm there I will get more information about the training and just how in depth the process will be for our returning service people and the dogs that will assist them.

If any of you know anyone who might be interested in this program please have them contact CCI at: 1-800-572-BARK (2275).

Or, anyone who would like to have more information on acquiring/Volunteering or becoming a Puppy Raiser please call the same number.

:) Remember CCI trains: Service; Hearing; Facility and Skilled Companions. :)

Mornin' Everyone;

Roz: Update on Albertson's. Manager gave me an application that CCI would need to fill out. If you have a name of someone I could direct it to, I will get it in the mail. I think they are just the "Cat's meow" in everything they do with the SD and the lucky families they unit them with. I want to do as much as I can to see the program flourish even more. That is a great idea for the service folks. As we said before it is amazing the healing a devoted furbaby can provide.

They have even proven in the prison setting with programs that the prisoners help train SD, that sometimes even the hardest criminal responds to an animal. One person is one more that might rehabilitate.

Ok, now, we have a small store called Family General. I was in there the other day and found the "Cart" for $20.00!!!! It still say what the weight limit is, but has big wheels in back small ones in front. I was so excited. Didn't buy it yet.

Everyone have a great day. Started my job yesterday, so far so good. It's interesting.

Nancy

:eek: has anyone ever had a cruise line give their dog actual CAT LITTER like johnny cat in their relieving box ? it happened to me it was a mess.... just curious

Curious, what cruise line was it? I want to make sure we request no cat litter if it was the same line.

Nancy: Thank you for your persistence...You may send the form to: Canine Companions for Independence, P.O Box 446, Santa Rosa, CA 95402-0446 - Attention: Program Manager.

The cart sounds great....just make sure that the wheels in the front are not stationary but they move 360 degrees. Makes for much better mobility. You're a good shopper and thanks again for all your efforts for CCI.

denver: I have yet to have a cruiseline put kitty litter in the box. What line was it? When I send in my paperwork, prior to cruising, I always specify what type of litter works best.

When we were first using a 4x4 box to train Brenda, we did try kitty litter (JohnnyCat) to be precise! What a mess! She used it but it would always stick in between the pads on her feet; she would track it into the house; and, it was such a mess around the box....because; dog will be dogs....they still "circle" the box and each time she would "circle" out would come some more litter!:(

We stopped the litter and went to grass sod! It's cheap; it lasts a long time; it's at our local nursery and it's very low maintenance. And, best of all; Brenda thinks it's the "north forty" in a 4x4 box! :p

I wanted to let everybody know about the new requirement for entering the Bahamas. I'm not sure when they implemented it, as I haven't been there since the beginning of the year, but I just got my latest import permit and the new requirement is on it.

The new requirement is that every animal must be microchipped (Home Again or Avid or Destron or Trovan brands), the vet doing the paperwork in the country of export must scan the microchip to verify the microchip number, and the microchip number must be on every health document requested. There is a form the vet fills out and signs in regards to the microchip and they send said form with the import permit.

Your SDs (and pets) should be microchipped anyway, IMO, but in case they aren't already, you'll have to get it done before entering the Bahamas. (It doesn't say the microchip needs to have been implanted before vaccinations like other countries require, so the animal's vaccinations will still be valid.)

Note that members of IAADP can get free microchip registration (I think it is) for their SD.

My SD has an Avid chip and I recommend that brand.