Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks all for your kind words. We decided yesterday to take Joe. We were undecided if we wanted a dog so soon, since we are still not over our beloved Rangeley. I'm having a hard time at the thought of replacing him, he was my baby. I know that I will love Joe just as much and know that John needs a dog for help and companionship. He's a sped teacher and the kids at the school were heartbroken. They will be thrilled with Joe. We never left Rangeley alone so I don't think Joe will be left alone either. I really need to know how to do all this prep for Joe to go with us. We are going to St Thomas, Dominica, St Maarten, Grenada, Martinique and Half Moon Cay (HALS private island). I know St Thomas will be no problem, but I'm not sure about the others. Now I heard the Bahamas wants microchips but I'm not sure if that includes their private island. And I don't know if Joe has a chip or not. I have read the list that Roz posted for things we need. But thats not for each island. Do we call or write to these places? How far in advance do we have to do these things? I read some things are to be done at a certain time period before the trip (exam, rabies). Any help will be appreciated.

Roz: I had read where you said the box on HAL was 4x3, of course they have told us it's 4x6 with whatever material we would like in it. Joe is not going to be ready for us til Nov 10th or so when John has to go train with him. We were hoping that we can make part of his training to go in the box. Because John already had a dog, they put him at the top of the line for a new one. We certainly weren't planning on getting one this soon. We figured maybe the spring. But the way they are talking about Joe, we couldn't pass him up. He sounds very special. We have already sent our medical form back and did not state that we were taking a dog. I guess I can call them and tell them. My black, Bailee is not a service dog. But she learned so many things from Rangeley. When we would tell him to fetch, she would jump up and run around the room. She would go over to him as if to say, "comeon fetch, we will get a cookie". She also responds to alot of his commands too. Those labs are sooooo smart. In his later years we would be in the kitchen doing dishes and he would fetch anything around the house without being told , even jump on the couch to get the remote or my socks and shoes, just so he could get that cookie!! What would they do without those cookies?

Denversees: Thanks for offering your help, I really appreciate it. Your dog is beautiful. We are used to people coming up to us all the time. John has always let people pat the dog. I just HATE those rude people who don't ask!!! Or they let their kid run up to the dog. How ignorant. Answer to your question, he's a service dog, John is a quadrapelgic. I assume that you are blind, but I am amazed that you train service dogs. I will email you and you can tell me all about it.

Omg I see I have babbled on here , so I will not bore anyone annymore.

Thanks, Cindy

So sorry to hear about Rangeley! You are in our thoughts. Also offer if you want to talk through any questions you have about SD on cruise at dvdfreakmc@yahoo.com Werin has been on two now, and while we are certainly not quite at Roz's or Denversees' experience level (wink, wink) - we are happy to help on any way we can. I second denversees' comments on petting. We found on this cruise, that once we started it didn't let up. Another tip we got in training is to use another name around others, then when they call Werin by the other name, nothing happens. Works wonders.

August 9th our service dog passed away(the yellow one in my avatar). It has been devastating!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( So sorry to hear that!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine what that would be like. I am not at all looking forward to that day for my SD and I.

Congrats on the new dog, though, even though I know it won't be quite the same.

I really need to know how to do all this prep for Joe to go with us. We are going to St Thomas, Dominica, St Maarten, Grenada, Martinique and Half Moon Cay (HALS private island). I know St Thomas will be no problem, but I'm not sure about the others. Now I heard the Bahamas wants microchips but I'm not sure if that includes their private island. And I don't know if Joe has a chip or not. I have read the list that Roz posted for things we need. But thats not for each island. Do we call or write to these places? How far in advance do we have to do these things? I read some things are to be done at a certain time period before the trip (exam, rabies). Any help will be appreciated.

The best way to get the current regulations is to contact each country. You can also do a preliminary Internet search for each country's regulations. I don't know how the private island thing works; you'll have to ask both the country and the cruiseline (though the cruiseline folks may not know the correct answer - same with a travel agent - as customer service ppl like that are, in general, wrong a lot ... check out the recent thread about a guide dog user who was told by the cruiseline [up until a couple days before the cruise] that she didn't need any special paperwork to get in to the Cayman Islands [one of the countries that requires the rabies titer and six-month wait], for instance).

Yes, some countries require a rabies titer with a six-month wait after the test results say your dog is all set. Some countries you only need a health certificate. It just all depends on the country! I haven't been to any you listed except the Bahamas (and not a private island there), so I don't know what the regulations for each of them are.

Good luck with the new dog and the cruise! :)

Thanks for all your kind words. I contacted the cruiseline and had to fill out their medical form again to say we are bringing the dog. Now I am waiting for them to send me another form to fill out about the dog. Another form, oh goodyicon9.gif I guess I better get used to filling out more forms. I guess I'll take a shower and start doing some research today. I'm sure I'll be here on and off today. Talk you you guys soon. Cindy

I hope when you come back you will post a review or just drop a few words on how things went. I know I really enjoy reading abt them. I have a beautiful lab/golden next to me now. SD in training. She had a great time visiting with the Special Ed Students at the local high school, going to the vollyball game, and today we are off to the farmers market and local fair. She is being cross trained as a general service dog and possibly a hearing response dog. I get to use some ASL signs with her, which sure helps in that noisy gym. She loves to wake me up when the alarm goes off. My husband wants to know if she can do it with a little less excitement, but I know that she is doing great. Except I can't hit the snooze alarm!!

Sunshine, How wonderful to be training a service dog. I don't know if I could do it knowing I'd have to give it away. I will definately be here til we leave and will come back to let everyone know how it went.

Uppitycats, Thanks for your sympathy. All of you have made it alittle easier.

Well I have emailed all the islands for info on bringing Joe, except for St Thomas. John and I searched all day and believe it or not we could not find any person the write to for the american island. We are assuming that it would be the same requirements as the US but are not sure. Anyone been there and can help? Would appreciate any info.

Sunshine, How wonderful to be training a service dog. I don't know if I could do it knowing I'd have to give it away. I will definately be here til we leave and will come back to let everyone know how it went.

Uppitycats, Thanks for your sympathy. All of you have made it alittle easier.

Actually I am a volunteer handler, not the trainer. This week I have a dog home for almost a week, sometimes I just take them home for a day, sometimes I just go to the training facility to help the trainers work the dogs. This dog is WONDERFUL and going to make someone the most perfect service dog. I swear her eyes look into your very soul!! When I see these dogs go out at graduation it is such a wonderful feeling. Like watching your kids growing up!! I wish you the best with your new SD, I love hearing how they work when they are out in the real world, one of the reasons I frequent this thread.

I see everyone is as busy as I am. School is consuming my time, but has to be done.

I'm worried about my boy. :( He is now limping on front legs. Still happy and eating, just having a hard time getting up and around.

Everyone have a great week, fornately it is finally cooling down here. Only suppose to get to 100 degrees today. Now call us crazy, but that is pleasant for us!

PLEASE READ THIS......You've got to hear what happened to us at a restaurant. I must apologize about the length of the story....but, it's worth reading..................

I'll re-introduce myself for those of you, who are not familiar with me:

I've had a Service Dog, (Brenda) for 6 years. She was trained by Canine Companions for Independence. She's 8 1/2 years old. She's traveled all over the world and will even be on her 10th cruise on November 15th. Neither one of us are "newbies" to the Service Dog world or to world traveling. But, what happend is not to be believed and has NEVER happened, anywhere in our travels...........

On September 29th my DH, Brenda and I entered the Souplantation restaurant, in Northridge, CA.

It's a "buffet style" restaurant; Brenda is attached to my left wrist and walking by my side (in a very respectful, as usual, manner.) I'm walking down the aisle getting my food and DH is behind me, he pays for our food; I'm walking towards a table, with Brenda in tow and my tray in my hand (not an easy task, as you with SD's can attest to!) A man approaches me, puts his face in my face and says; "get out of this restaurant with your dog!"

I'm stunned....I say, (as I continue to walk towards the table, holding my tray); "what did you say?" He has now placed himself right in my path and continues, in an angry tone; "you have to leave with that dog!" I say; "this is a Service Dog, please observe the vest that she's wearing!" I'm now at the table I put down the tray and he keeps standing right in front of me, not allowing me to sit down. (Brenda always wears the CCI Service Dog Vest, although, as most of you know...a Service Dog doesn't have to wear a vest.)

He starts walking towards the front door of the restaurant and I follow him, all the while explaining about Service Dogs and their rights!

I said to him,"you can NOT ask me to leave and who are you?" He said that he was the General Manager and he can ask anyone to leave, if he wanted to! I reiterated to him; "you can NOT ask me to leave just because I have a service dog!" I pointed out to him the decal that is on the front door, which reads, "Guide Dogs Welcome!" He said; "you're not blind and the next time you want to come in here, you have to call me first. I have children and adults in here who do not like or are allergic to dogs!"

Again, I can't begin to tell you how "surprised" and "shocked" I was at his behavior and insistence that I leave! I proceeded to sit down on a bench in the front of the restaurant and said to him; "I am NOT leaving, I have a right to be here!"

I continued to tell him that I had just gotten off of a airplane and the TSA welcomed my SD, I said; "do you have more authority than the TSA?" He ignored me! I needed to gather my thoughts of what to do, it was so frustrating! I searched through my wallet to find the paper from IAADP which states the "law" handed down from the ADA in regard to refusing admittance and asked him to please read it! He simply walked away!

I couldn't think of anything else to do, short of dialing 911.....So, I did; I called them and I told the operator that I needed the police to come and help me because my Service Dog and I were being denied entrance to a restaurant. (I really had no idea that this would work or not.....I have NEVER been put in this position in the entire time that I've had Brenda!) And, who knew if the police would follow through or not!!! I just wasn't leaving without obtaining my rights!!!!!

Two hours later, the police came. I greeted them outside the restaurant, I explained the whole situation; they observed Brenda, with her vest on and acting in her best behavior. They walked back in with me, asked a server to speak with the manager. The manager came....they walked him outside....pointed out the decal on the window and told him that disabled people are NOT just blind! They said he had no choice and must let me & my Service Dog into the restaurant. The manager walked back in, right past me, never said a word! The two officers came in and said; "enjoy your meal, here is our card, if this happens again, call us!"

I stood and walked VERY TALL with Brenda by my side and went over to the manager, who was now at the register and asked for a refund!

We left.....I was so upset and still a bit angry. We went back to this restaurant 3 days later....the manager was not there and he had removed the decal from the front window! What a jerk!!!!!!

The following day I contacted their corporate offices and told them the whole story. They profoundly apologized and promised to inform this manager and all their other locations of the ADA laws. I called the IAADP office and was told that police are not always so responsive, I got lucky! I also called CCI, they reassured me that I did the right thing and also couldn't believe the managers behavior......I am going to a workshop in Santa Rosa on October 25th, I will definitely bring this up, again.

Should we call 911? Should we just walk out? Do we stand our ground, do we insist? After we hand them all the info. from the ADA (mine has several different languages on it) and, even states that there could be fines assest and damages sought, if they still don't let you in, what would you do? And, who's going to seek the damages? Who's going to pay for the attorney? Who's going to back us up?

Have you faced a similar "hard head?" What did you do to resolve your issue?

Please let us all know if you've faced such a situation and how you resolved it. I will bring all my good information back with me after the 25th.

THOSE STORYS GET MY BLOOD pumping !!! IM GLAD YOU CALLED 911 I HAVE CALLED THE POLIECE 3 TIMES AND 911 ONCE .... I HAVE no PATIENCE FOR PEOPLE LIKE THAT AND THE GUY WAS PLAIN OL IGNORANT I WOULD FILE A LAW SUIT AND/OR HAVE HIM CITIZENS ARRESTED ( ALL THINGS WE LEARN OVER THE YEARS ) I HAD THE LAST GUY AT SUBWAY CITIZENS ARRESTED AND FINED IT IS not TOO LATE TO PRESS CHARGES AGAINST THIS GUY trust me !!!!! I WOULD DO THAT AT THE VERY LEAST TO PAVE THE WAY NOT ONLY FOR YOU BUT FOR OTHERS TO LET HIM KNOW HE WAS WRONG AND HE CANT KICK ANUONE OUT ETC AND THE FAT FINE TO GO WITH IT WILL REMIND HIM FOREVER ,.,,,, IM SERIOUS DO IT !!! I HAD TO AT SUBWAY I WAS NICE A LOT OF TIMES DROPPED INFO CALLED CORPERATE ( WHICH TOLD ME BASICALLY THEY ARE NOT A FRANCHISE ) ETC AFTER THE 3RD TIME I HAD HAD IT !!!

UGHHHHHHHHHH IM ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARI AND DENVER

HI OZ PLEASE CALL ME 951 906 6240 I HAVE AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR VERY AREA WHO WILL DO YOUR CASE FOR FREE IF YOU WISH CAN GIVE YOU INFO ETC EVEN IF YOU DONT WANT TO PRESS CHARGES ... IM GOING TO ALSO SEND A GROUP OF MY FRIENDS WHO HAVE SD s IN THAT AREA TO THE RESTRAUNT THE MANAGER NEEDS FIRED NOT TOLD NOT TO DO IT .... THE DAMAGE IS DONE AND I CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO DO IN FUTURE HAPPENINGS IT TOOK THE POLIECE WAYYYY TO LONG TO RESPOND I WOULD ALSO HAVE ASKED FOR TE REFUND EATEN THERE AND VISITED LATER AS YOU DID WHICH WAS GOOD WE MUST PAVE THE WAY FOR EVER SD USER!!!! I AM SO MOVED BY THIS POST I WANT TO HELP AND I CAN I AM ALSO IN SO CAL

CARI AND DENVER

Cari: Thank you! It feels so good to have the support of my fellow SD travelers. You really did what probably is the best thing to do.....How effective is a Citizen's Arrest? What does it entail? Is there a statute of limitations?

My DH wants me to bring it up at the meeting at CCI to get their opinion on what is really the most effective thing to do and the very best way to handle these situations.....I know it's case by case....and very personal but why do these organizations train these remarkable dogs if the public is going to abuse the rights of the person walking or wheeling with an SD and most importantly why does the public feel so empowered to act this way?

I know, it's all about educating them......but, it can get pretty tiring!!!!

Honestly, life's challenges are difficult enough without these moron's getting in our way!!!!! :(

Cari: I've tried your number several times.....I can't get through, it just keeps ringing busy or nothing!

I would press charges and go forward and let me know when your friends are going to the restaurant.....I'll be there too!

The restaurant is: Souplantation, on Rinaldi Street, in Northridge (in Porter Ranch)......there's only one in the San Fernando Valley...they can't make a mistake.

I LOVE YOUR FIRE!!!!!! Thank you!!!! We, can sometimes, feel very much alone!!!! :)

HI OZ OK MY PHONE MUST BE ON THE FRITZ AGAIN ... TRY ME TOMORROW MAYBE IT WILL WORK GRRRRRR.... ANYWAYS I HAVE TALKED TO MY FRIEND AND SHE WAS RIGHT THATS THE PLACE WE WENT WHEN I WAS GETTING DENVER MANY YEARS AGO . SHE LIVES THERE IN NORTHRIDGE AND FUNNY ENOUGH HAS BEEN THERE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A YEAR TWICE THIS PAST WEEK LOL LOL LOL NO ACESS ISSUES ????BUT SHES ALSO BLIND I HAVE TALKED TO HER ... WE ARE ALL MEETING THERE FOR DINNER SOMETIME IN NOV AND YOUR THE GUEST OF HONOR !!!! WE WILL SWARM THAT RESTRAUNT WILL ALL THE GUIDES AND SD"s WE HAVE GOT IN THE AREA THEY WILL CRAP THEIR PANTS !!!!! AS FAR AS A CITIZENS ARREST IT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED THERE * YOU HAVE TO TELL THE POLIECE YOU WANT TO PRESS CHARGES IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE AFTER ALL *BUT IT CAN STILL BE DONE I WILL JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT HOW ... I KNOW MY FRIEND HAS A LAWYER WHO WILL TAKE YOUR CASE FOR FREE HE DOES IT FOR SD OWNERS ESPECIALLY THIS TYPE WHERE YOUR FROM AN ACREDDITED ORGINIZATION AND THE LAW IS WHAT IT IS .... IT IS AN EASY OPEN AND CLOSE CASE AND MY FRIEND SAYS LOTS OF TIMES IF HE JUST MAKES THE CALL THEY WILL PAY YOU TO NOT TAKE THEM TO COURT. IM NOT SAYING IT IS ABOUT THE MONEY BEC I KNOW ITS NOT BUT IT IS THE IDEA THAT THIS EMPLOYEE GET FINED ( WHICH HE WILL NOT THE COMPANY ) 2,500 DOLLARS WHICH WILL COMEOUT OF HIS CHECK . HE WILL THEN REMEMBER HOW HE WAS RUDE TO YOU . I HAVE PATIENCE BELIEVE ME AND IM FIRST FOR EDUCATING BUT THIS GUY DIDNT NEED AN EDUCATION HE NEEDED A FINE!!!!!!! THERES STUPID PEOPLE AND JUST PLAIN IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO KNOW THEY R BREAKING LAWS BUT DO IT ANYWAYS... THEN WHEN YOU PRESS CHARGES THEY PLAY DUMB !!! THIS GUY IN MY OPINION NEEDS TO LOOSE HIS JOB !!!!! I WILL E MAIL MY FRIEND FOR THE LAWYERS NUMBER TONIGHT SO HOPEFULLY WHEN YOU CALL I WILL HAVE IT .

I WOULD ASK CCI TO WRITE THEM A LETTER TOO TO THAT RESTRAUNT AND TO THE COORPERATE ... OH AND MY FRIEND WANTS THE MANAGERS NAME WHO WAS SO RUDE TO YOU SHES GOING TO GO AGAIN THIS WEEK AND WATS TO MAKE SURE HE IS WORKING WHEN SHE GOES lol lol lol lol roflmao ..... IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO GET A NAME . OHHH IM ON FIRE AGAIN !!!!I CANT WAIT TO GO EAT SOUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE ALWAYS GOT TO REMEMBER TO BE TACTFUL AND CALM IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS WHICH YOU DID A GREAT JOB ... KEEP DOCCUMENTATION AND ALSO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE .... THE BETTER BUISNESS BUREAU ALL THINGS YOU CAN DO DEPENDING ON HOW FAR YOU WANT TO TAKE IT . CCI MAY SUPPORT YOU OR TELL YOU TO JUST LET IT LIE BEC YOU ALREADY CALLED COORPERATE BUT I CAN TELL YOU I TRAIN SDs AS WELL AS OWN ONE AND THERES A HUGE DIFFERENCE WHEN YOUR NOT THE TRAINER OF AB ACESS ISSUE .... WE NEED OUR DOGS AND SO DO OTHER SD USERS TO ME WE MUST PAVE THE WAY AND FIGHT THE FIGHT ALL THE WAY !!!! SORRY I GET GOING WHEN I HEAR OF THESE THINGS . I JUST REMEMBER WHEN I HAD MY FIRST ISSUE I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO DO AT LEAST YOU CALLED 911 I WAS SO SHOCKED I JUST TOOK A BUISNESS CARD AND HAD THE ORGINIZATION CALL THE NEXT DAY ... I SAY FIGHT YOUR FIGHT GIRL!!! IM HERE TO SUPPORT YOU IN ANY WAY I CAN I FEEL YOUR FURY !!!!!!!!!!

NOW..... SOUP ANYONE ?

CARI AND DENVER

Roz,

Thanks for telling your story and for sticking up for your rights. It was a blessing the police came and that the manager was spoken to. In these situations, of which we have had many, it is so difficult to respond and know what to do, but through your determination you seem to have handled it beautifully. I know that Susan and I constantly discuss the balance of fighting at the time vs. and/or fighting on the back end (calling/writing the DOJ) and haven't come up with a one size fits all solution.

We have had multiple occasions like this, and unfortunately, we believe it happens to us relatively frequently because Cameron is mobile.

When we first brought Werin home, we initially would call to each restaurant/hotel before coming to let them know we were on our way, but all that we found is either the location didn't really know what to do, didn't really get why we were calling, plus we always got a horrible table location right by the kitchen or away from everyone else. So then we tried just walking in, which we found worked better. About 10% of the time, the host/hostess or manager asks us about Werin and says, "That dog can't come in here", but once we are firm about her purpose and that she is a service dog, it generally is resolved.

There have been a couple of times that this didn't resolve. Once we were travelling with friends in Washington, D.C. and went to a local Safeway to pick up supplies. We always have Werin wear her badge, and we have two leads (one for Cameron and one for Susan or I), so Werin always looks the part. We walked around gathering supplies and a manager came over and started yelling - you can't have that dog in here. I responded in calm and collected fashion that she was a service dog for my son. He continued yelling to get out and he was going to call the police. At this point, several other store clerks came over and started trying to talk down the manager, stating that she was allowed, since she was a service dog. He would hear none of it. I firmly stated that it was against the law to deny access to us, asked his name, and said it would be fine to call the police, but I would continue my shopping. He grumbled around and kept saying things under his breath. Shockingly uninformed. We checked out before the police arrived, if they were called at all.

Another time we were travelling to visit family on the Canadian/U.S. border in Estevan, Saskatchewan. Now Saskatchewan has similar laws as the ADA, which have allowed service animals, not just seeing assistance dogs, but these were "recently" passeed in 2000. When we went to check into the hotel, even though I had put that we would have a service dog, they said that the room we had been assigned was hypo-allegenic and there were no more "pet" rooms. I explained that she was not a pet and it was unlawful to deny access to regular rooms. After a call to the manager, it was taken care of. Later that day we went to the Estevan Walmart, and were told to leave by the greeter and several cashiers. We explained and continued on our way. The next morning we went to a large chain coffee shop with my sister in law (a Canadian customs agent) and were told that we would have to leave. There were about 4 cops sitting across from us, but my sister-in-law - whom knew the server said in no certain terms that we would be staying and that it was lawful to have the dog there and only seeing eye dogs were allowed. So unfortunately, we haven't been back to Estevan since. Everywhere else in Saskatchewan however, it has been no problem including Moose Jaw, Regina, Fort Qu'applle, etc.

We have a local Mexican restuarant that told us to leave, but again, we just sat down, and they insisted, so we showed our card and it was resolved.

In Quebec this summer, we were challenged getting on a bus tour of Montreal, getting into the Notre Dame Cathedral and every restaurant. In most situations we brought out the card (they called it a license), and it was resolved, but this coming summer, we will be taking a collapsable crate with us, so that at certain times we can go out to eat. The laws in Quebec that I could find only allow seeing eye dogs, so they haven't quite caught up.

We have also found that different airlines and check in personnel ask for different information each time based mainly on their training level or lack thereof and we have had discussions ranging from trying to put Werin in the luggage compartment to requiring documentation to the correct approach of asking what Werin does for Cameron.

I recognize that with Cameron being mobile, Werin doesn't fit into a traditional mode of what service dogs can do, and that some could see it as us just trying to get our "pet" into a hotel or restaurant. But it is worth it because I know in my heart that we couldn't go to restaurants or public places before having Werin, since Cameron would melt down at any moment for anything. Now he is calm as a cucumber and ready to interact with anyone.

It is difficult to react in each situation, and to be honest, sometimes I show the card, even though I know that I shouldn't have to. It is a constant debate in my mind on whether to try to resolve the situation or defend the rights as they are written. And I sure haven't done that perfectly. I have written to the DOJ several times and do get some satisfaction that afterwards, they have to post signs and retrain everyone.

The blessing is that the vast majority of times, people are very understanding and there is no issue, but access is a worry everytime we walk into a restaurant, hotel, or public place on whether we will need to defend, explain, or fight.

I am so sorry to hear these stories, but so glad that you have shared them. As you know, I am not a trainer, but do work with SD in training. Sometimes at graduation you look at these wonderful new teams and think all is well now. Really, it is just a different journey that has opened up. I will confess to avoiding confrontation myself. I tend to stick with chain restaurants, larger stores, etc for training outings, as they feel more safe to me and less chance of a confrontation. I have been confronted several times, because as is Cameron, I am mobile, and would not "look" as if I have any disability, and often have very young dogs with me. So far, all it has taken is a this is a service dog, to gain access, but I know that the day will come that I'll have more conflict. So, my goal, will be to speak up more! If it is hard for me to handle, I can only imagine how it would be for someone who has mobility challenges, hearing or sight challenges, seizure disorders, and the list goes on.

Back to cruising talk. I am off on the Emerald Princess myself in a few short weeks!! I'll miss all of my furry friends, but look forward to some fun and relaxation.

Getting ready to take my WONDERFUL SD in training back to the facility today. She and I have had a great week, visited high school, hospital, helped me with laundry, wakes me up in the morning when my alarm goes off with such joy, grocery shopping, bookstore shopping, now, she must go back to her pack and start working on some more advanced commands. She will probably graduate in January.

Roz:

I am so sorry for your misfortune. More than the fact that he was denying you access, (not to minimize that part) but that manager was on the edge of assault on you. He blocked your movement, was in you face and in a threatening manner. I agree, reprimanded him doesn't seem like enough. He could have handled it differently and should not be in a management position. What would he have done if it was an unruly group of teens, beat them up? Sounds like he has some issues that need attention.

I'm sorry it took the police two hours to respond. I would have probably left thinking they weren't going to show up.

I would also call his corporate office back and tell them he removed the sign on the front door. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a law, or just that they have to let you in, but not post it?

I often think that is why we don't get disabled signs for parking and other things my husband should be utilizing. He doesn't handle confrontation very well and probably would have decked the manager. Then he would be the one in trouble.

Poor little Brenny, she probably was thinking, "What did I do wrong, mom?"

I want to shout from the roof tops, ok, all you ignorant people listen up. Everyone is different and others have disabilities that you may never have a clue about. BUT Service Dogs are providing futures for people that are light years in conquering those mountains.

Cameron and Werin are a perfect example. I am so proud of him. I can't even imagine the damage it would do to him if he didn't have Werin. That is a true success story.

Ok, stepping slowly off the soap box. But I'm not done by any stretch of the imagination.

Nancy

Roz,

I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal. I agree with Peter that there may not be only one way to handle such a situation. I think you did the right thing. I'm just sorry it took the police 2 hours to respond, but then again it wasn't an emergency situation. Due to the manager's attitude I would follow up. It was more than a situation of ignorance. The extreme rudeness indicates a much bigger problem.

I was refused service at a restaurant with our guide dog in training as described previously on this thread at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15781329&postcount=482

In Texas the dogs in training have the same rights as full fledged service dogs. This isn't the case in every state.

I was with friends when refused and couldn't get in touch with the police at the time so we left. However I followed up with a call to the police a few days later. He checked the law and called me back. I was told to call the Health Department inspector which I did. The inspector made a visit to the restaurant and explained the law. Also our organization, the Guide Dogs of Texas, sent the restaurant a letter explaining the law and the consequences of breaking the law. DH and I made a return visit and we were served. There was no problem that time. So, some more people were educated and did the right thing. That is all we wanted. If we had been refused a second time we would have followed up with a request that they be fined. We try the least offensive action first but are willing to pursue a resolution if necessary.

Mary

Talk about supportive.........You are all an amazing support system and I thank you so much for that! We share a commonality of our love for our families and our devotion to our dogs. Without these amazing Service Dogs, I know my life would be very, very shallow!

CCI will be writing a letter to the Souplantation and they suggested that I call the Department of Justice - 1-800-514-0301. I have not done this yet! Work has gotten in the way.

I should have told the police that I wanted to press charges against this gentleman but I was so "beaten down" by the time they had arrived, it was all I could do to just stand up and explain what happened. It was all so exhausting! I swear I could have used a valium...for the shaking my insides were doing!

I'm not letting this go.....I will pursue every avenue that I can. If it means a law suit, so be it!

Cari: We had to use a Taxi in Nassua....my DH has mobility issues and walking in the heat and humidity would have been overwhelming for him!

Also, I will try and call you again, when I catch-up on some work. I would love to be at the Souplantation when you are all there. I know this man works on Monday's. We went back on Friday and he was not working that day. I want to ask him why he removed the "Guide Dogs Welcome" decal off the window?

Cari, please do not apologize for your "NormaRae" attitude when it comes to access issues....without people like you, we, who use SD's probably would be sitting at home, doing nothing!

And, I love the "soup anyone?" You're so cute!!!! :p

Sunshine: Happy cruising (that's what really brought us all together, who can forget that?) Have a wonderful, restful time! And thank you for your support.

Peter: You have done the right thing in bringing Werin into Cameron's life, you've given him a chance to become social and Werin has opened up his world. You, too, have faced many obstacles in traveling with an SD. I certainly know I'm not alone....but, when it happens it can stop us in our tracks. Through all of our persistence we may change the world!

Nancy: There is no law that states that any establishment must "post" a welcoming sign to SD's. Too bad! Would it help I don't know? It sure frustrated the moron I was dealing with; enough so, that he scraped it off the window!

Mary: Educating the public, one person or establishment at a time, is a daunting task. For those who went before us, I give them the kudos and gratitude and I am so, so thankful and humbled by all that they had to go through. I can't give up the fight, if not for myself than for them!!!!!! Thank you for your patience with the puppies, they are our successors!

Roz, first let me say how sorry I am for your ruined night out.

I totally understand how intimating and humiliating it can be. Here is my worst story.

We were on a California State Beach. We had rented the disabled cabin. For three years I had wanted to walk on the beach. It is really difficult for me-especially in the soft sand. I had made this both a personal reward and goal.

Everyday we would be stopped by lifeguard and told "no dogs"

Bailey always wears her service jacket= except ehen exercising. But she is a whippet and not the "normal" service dog. So I am used to smiling , and showing ID. They all said, have a nice day. We were there a week.

One morning, very early, we took her way down on the beach, there were no people at all and it was in a little cove out of view. I took her jacket off and let her run out to the end of the flexi lead. She was having a great time just running and sniffing. (It goes without saying that She only left footprints). Then a state truck comes around the cornier. I call her, she comes to my side. The jerk comes flying out of the truck. He told me I could not walk her on the beach. I started to show ID, he interrupted me and got literally 3 inches from my face. He asked if I was staying there, yes, in the hanidcapped cabin. I then said she was a SD again tried to show her ID. He said "Well, you just lost your rights, go back to your cabin":eek: (supposedly because she didn't have jacket and end of flexi lead - not actively working).

I was so shaken, I started walking back to cabin. Then it hit me he just told me to go to my room!

I was furious and sat down waited for him to come back but he never did. I was told he was some mucky mucky big wig. Boy, I was pissed. THe other lifeguards would stop me daily (you would think they would remember we were there a week). I was prepared to call the justice dept or be taken to jail if he wanted to push it!

I will not be taken off guard again.

Darcie: How awful! He was such a controlling jerk! You survived it but I'm sure it was very upsetting, at the time!

Geeezzz! What up with the control freaks who think they just know it all! You'd think they'd have more training or be more informed! What's it going to take?

I'm going to train Brenda to "poop" on the shoes of anyone who treats us with disrespect when it comes to access issues!

There, I feel better already! :D

ROZ, That is too funny, don't give me any encouragement to teach Bailey's next task. I even offered to to a "In-Service" for the staff anytime during the week of my vacation. Fortunately, the staff on location didn't need it - the big wig jerk throwing his weight around did!

The good news, I was able to walk on the beach even farther than I thought was possible!

The very good news is 32 more days until the cruise for me and you are sailing 5 days later. Can't wait!:)