Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Joe is beautiful!! Looks like he might be using a gentle leader head harness. That works great with my pet. I know the feeling re: trainers nearby. I can get them focused, working with me, but if the trainer walks by, ooops there goes the attention! The good news is once I get them home, the focus really changes to me. The orginization I volunteer with likes to place their dogs on the young side. They feel like it really improves the bonding with the recepient. The dogs are usually placed between 15 months and 24 months. There are some that need more growing up and they might be in training past the 2 year age mark. Keep us posted about Joe.

hey ollies mom .... thanks for the tips about the shells i have the ruff wear shoes but not the newer grip trex ones just the older ones ,,,, they are thick i love them i was going to bring them for the hot pavement but im glad you mentioned the shells !!!! if it wasnt hot i would have probb left them in the room glad to know the shells will be the reason besides the cement....

cindy joe looks so sweet.... dont worry about the trainer thing when i got denver it took him a few weeks before he could totally focus on me when his trainer was there .... i dont know about joe but i do know when we train our dogs at our orginization since we r so small we have all of the dogs in our homes to make sure house manners are superb .... talk about bonded when they leave ..... last dog i trained i had to step out several times from team traning and let the other trainer help the recipent bec the dog was too focused on me.... eventually he bonded with his handler and i was not an issue anymore but the first week was tough .....

Carol at disney disabled services is great !!! be sure to send in for your permit soon ..... better soon then late !!!

cari and Denver

You all are so, so busy! I love it!

Happy sails to all who are leaving on their cruises....we will leave on November 15th....I can't wait. I'm so sick of the "politics" and our "economy", it's enough to make anyone sick!!!!!

Cari: I would love the name of the Attorney, to have it, just in case! Have a wonderful cruise!!!! And, I'd love to get together for dinner, one day......When you get back, let's set it up!

Nancy: We leave tomorrow for Santa Rosa. I'll let you guys know how the workshop was, when I get back!

Cindy: Make sure that when the trainer is around she/he does not get eye contact with Joe, at all! He'll soon forget her/him and will only focus on you! Good luck....he's beautiful!

Dean Koontz is an amazing man with a wonderful family. His dog was named "Trixie", he's written many books about her adventures....I think I have them all!!!! He's a wonderful supporter of CCI and I believe the campus, in Oceanside is named after him; "The Koontz Campus!" Or, at least a great portion of it is!

I've got to run but I will write more when I return, next week!

hi Roz

have a great trip.... I will e mail you if you call and leave your e mail address or i will try you next week on the number you gave me ..... i hear the lawyer is great and takes cases on specifically for SDs and dosent ask for money until the case is won and he takes 30 percent ... thats what i HEAR ..... anyways always a handy number to have

i will call you about dinner it will be fun

hugs for brenny

cari and Denver

Roz:

Have a safe trip. I know you and Brenda will enjoy your workshop. Scratch, scratch for her.

Cindy:

Joe is a very handsome boy!:DHe does have that mischievious "lab" puppy look. Like, just give me the word and I will be all over you like a cheap suit, with hugs and kisses. Once he is away from the hussle and bussle, I'm sure he will get in a routine and make you proud. Don't forget labs have little watches on their wrist. They can tell time without having to look at the clock.

Everyone have a great Friday.

Nancy

Thanks for all your comments about Joe.

Cari, when are you leaving on your cruise? And where are you going?

Roz, I didn't know you were going on a cruise. It says 11/15 on your post.

Well to all have great cruises. We saw an email for our cruise online and it was $300 less a piece for us to go. John called up and they said it was only for new bookings. Since we booked a hp guarantee and had already gotten our cabin assignment. They told John he could cancel and rebook at the cheaper price. So not only did we save $600 we ended up getting the port side which is what we wanted. They had us on the starboard side because someone had a hold on the port side room, and I guess they didn't take it. So needless to say we are thrilled. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's a room in the front of the ship. It's a huge room and plenty big enough for Joe and us. There is a door to the front of the ship that we are hoping they might put the litter box there. I'm crossing my fingers. Now I am trying to get my son to go with us. He went on our cruise last January and loved it. I could really use the help, especially with John and the dog. He was a great help last year and with the dog going , the luggage, John, the shower chair and now we are taking his power assist chair (which is to heavy for me to life up curbs) because we are in the front of the ship and everywhere is so far to go. I am already overwhelmed :eek: I'm usually very under control because we have done this so many times, I could do it in my sleep. But I'm not so confident right now. I'm sure it will work out.

Also I'm very disgusted that these islands have not contacted me at all. Martinique was the only one that emailed us back. I have called and emailed many times and no answers at all!!! I even talked to someone in the Bahamas and she didn't send me the form to fill out, she mails me some tourist pamphlet!! Luckily Cari had emailed it to me.

One more thing and I'll stop babbling. I was wondering if anyone else gives their dog anything before the cruise. Cari gives her dog some cranberry relief stuff and I was wondering if anyone else does. And do any of you have problems with the water on the ship for your dogs?

My wife spoke to Carol from Disney Cruise Special Needs and she will be e-mailing me most of the paperwork we need for our upcoming cruise. She still needs to find out about taking a SD to Tortola and whether we can take him to Coral World on St. Thomas. At least it's a start. :)

After reading all this, I'm happier with my decision to leave my service dog at home when I cruise for the first time this fall. The potential problems on the ship are one thing (and I've already trained my SD to relieve herself on command,) but the hassles when going ashore are a greater unknown. Each country must have its own regulations about bringing animals ashore. And then there are the stray dogs, particularly in the Caribbean. Although I'll miss my SD for many reasons, at least I was able to find a safe and comfortable place for her to stay while I'm away on the cruise.

Now you are a wise and unselfish person.

Oh, Roz, I really do envy you, but I'm glad for you at the same time.:cool: If I could take my sweet "Ruby" with me everywhere I most certainly would! I'm so very attached to her and not just because she intuitively knows what to do when I need help. But my DH, who is even more dear to me, pointed out that not only would we have to deal with shipboard hassles and the many unknowns at ports of call if we took her along, but we also wouldn't be able to go on any of the shore excursions we are hoping to enjoy. It's just the two of us -- who would watch after Ruby while we snorkel or cave tube? If I was single, I would simply skip the shore excursions altogether and stay onboard for the entire cruise, enjoying the amenities, the change of scenery, my fellow passengers and being with my beloved Ruby. That would be more than enough vacation for me.:) As things are, however, I've resigned myself to having to leave her behind when we cruise, just as I do whenever we go to Disney World.

All the best,

Deb K.

Another person who cares about the comfort of their animal, above themselves.

We were lucky that my in-laws were able to stay with Ollie while we did that. The kennel might be a good idea but I'd check with Disney first. How is Orson when left alone? Ollie hates it and will sometimes bark like crazy until someone checks on him.

Our cruise to Mexico is fast approaching. I was planning on staying onboard except in Alcapulco but now I am wondering about one other port.

Has anyone had any experience in Zihuantanejo with their SD? I would like to take a cab from the dock to La Ropa Beach. Can you see any problems with going there with Bailey? Any tips?

(I do have a pop up crate if needed for shade.

We do look and feel our best with the sea in our hair (or lack thereof in my case) and a ship beneath our feet. Not sure if Werin is smiling as that would be a "human" emotion that I wouldn't want to infer on an animal (wink, wink).

No question about it, Werin is smiling:D

My wife spoke to Carol from Disney Cruise Special Needs and she will be e-mailing me most of the paperwork we need for our upcoming cruise. She still needs to find out about taking a SD to Tortola and whether we can take him to Coral World on St. Thomas. At least it's a start. :)

Coral World should not be a problem. I have taken Valentine there and nothing out of the norm was said to us. We enjoyed the day and there are plenty of shaded areas to rest. They do have 1 or 2 areas that are not accessable because they go down under the ocean for to see the sea creatures. Very nice day though.

We were lucky that my in-laws were able to stay with Ollie while we did that. The kennel might be a good idea but I'd check with Disney first. How is Orson when left alone? Ollie hates it and will sometimes bark like crazy until someone checks on him.

If leaving Orson alone is our only option, we may have to re-think doing the stingray adventure. When we were still training at CCI, we tried leaving him alone in his kennel in our dorm room and we were told he barked the whole time we were gone. Since we've been home, he's had the company of our other two dogs. We may have to try putting him in his kennel alone and seeing how he reacts.

If leaving Orson alone is our only option, we may have to re-think doing the stingray adventure. When we were still training at CCI, we tried leaving him alone in his kennel in our dorm room and we were told he barked the whole time we were gone. Since we've been home, he's had the company of our other two dogs. We may have to try putting him in his kennel alone and seeing how he reacts.

Have you tried freezing peanut butter in a kong, and giving it to the dog when you crate them. It takes a while to lick all the peanut butter and by that time some dogs will forget they are in the crate and go to sleep. It also makes crating a more positive experience. With that said, it does not always work, and I know because I have had some barkers at my house during crate time. I really try to ride it out if I can, because it is so much easier on the recepient if their dog can handle crate time.

just a suggestion ... this is what we do with our dogs in traning that are hesitant to crate .... ( if they cant get over it they r released ) when your home try crating the dog .... let him bark DO NOT GO TO HIM and whatever you do dont say anything to him at ALL ( our voices are a form of praise) put things in the crate like a peanut butter kong etc. he will bark and bark but DONT go to him ... when he is quiet then let him out DONT make a big deal about him being quiet .... if he barks and wont stop after about an hour i would suggest a gentle spary citronella collar by premier ( not the remote citronella but the one with the on off siwtch ) crate him again and say nothing ... when he barks it will spray him he will most likely not like it .... eventually after he is quiet wait a few min and let him out ( otherwise if you always un crate him when he is quiet right away this can make it worse in the long run ) eventually make the quiet time longer he will probb learn to just fall asleep.... make crating fun and positive feed him his dinner in the crate give him kongs and steralized bones in the vrate and when he isnt in the crate pick them up thus making him LOVE the bones he gets in the crate it is something that is a treat in tthe crate only ...... the more you crate him the better he will be and the more you do it random like when your home etc . the less freaked out he will be thinking mom leaves i get crated you have to change the pattern he has gotten into ..... he will learn mom is here i go in the crate i eat dinner or get a treat etc...... also there are things you can do if you dont want him to KNOW the collar makes him not bark ..... you make him wear it on the off position for a week or two he can still bark suring that time .... when you finally turn it on he will not know where the correction is coming from

hope it helps

you can get the citronells collar from e bay MUCH cheaper than petsmart or petco

hope this helps

cari and Denver

Cari, those are wonderful suggestions and so well explained. I know when I have dogs home, the trainers want me to have the dog in the crate when I am in the house, running around, etc. Trying to make it a good place. My own dog(not a service dog, just a well loved pet) goes into her crate on her own. It is a safe place to her. When the puppies are put into crates, a big glop of peanut butter is smeared on the door of the crate, to make them think crates are fun.

Cari, question for you. Do you have any advice on a dog waking you up multiple times at night. The SD in training I have home now, is doing very well, but she wakes up multiple times at night. If I crate her, she is quiet all night long, but when I have her sleeping by the bed side, she pops her head up to me every few hours. She goes right back down on a "go to bed" command and sleeps well, but two hours later, she's back up. Almost like she is checking to see if I am still there.