Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Flsunnymommy;

I have a silly question. Lets say Chewey wasn't a SD, was the officer suggesting he was going to leave Chewey in the car and have it towed to the tow yard with him in it? Then they would get a call from tow yard with "crazy" dog in vehicle that was towed. That just doesn't make any sense to me. :(

I am so glad everything worked out and you got to cuddle with Chewey. Sometimes us moms need puppy time too!

Nancy

Hi all

I just found this thread today and have been reading for about an hour. Thank you for all the information.

We will be traveling with my son and his Service Dog on the Independence of the Seas in January. This is his first cruise and our first with him. I would appreciate some help

I have called RCCI and have another call into them now that I got the number off this site.

What can you tell me about getting off the ship in Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Thank you for your help.

Welcome Sandy and Rich! :)

This is the thread for you. I am sure someone can answer all your questions. I have only gone on one cruise with my new SD and it was not to those ports so I cannot help you there, but I am sure Roz or Quam or one of the other experienced cruises will be able to help you.

Sandy & Rich: Welcome! The most important thing for you to know, as you've been reading these threads is the awesome stares and wonderful experience you will have with your Service Dog in tow!

I will start by apologizing for the length of this response but I'll try to be as informative as I can, without being verbose! ;)

You'll get so many questions from your fellow cruisers, onboard, that you'll need to schedule your time so that you'll be able to go everywhere without frustration and arrive on time.

Give yourselves lots of time to walk from the dining room (after your sumptous dinners) to the theatre, because you'll be stopped along the way, not just once but several times. And, finding the right seats with lots of room for your dog to lay down safely without people stepping on him/her can be daunting....just basically looking out for his safety. People are not expecting a dog in the room and when the lights go out, they don't look at where they're stepping. :o Most ships allow for "handicapped" seating, with lots of floor space and that's where we sit.

BE PREPARED to answer lots and lots of questions and you'll be asked over and over again if they can "touch" him. They're not being rude....they're just in "awe" over Service Dogs, in general and have so much respect for the myriad of tasks that they can do.

Make sure that you or your TA is in contact with the "Special Needs" Department of RCCL and you have all the documentation that is required.

1. All vaccinations are current.

2. Agricultural Inspection Form is filled out by Vet. This will tell about Heartguard usage/flea & tick abatement, etc.

3. Rabies Titer Test is performed within 10 days of departure (make sure that copies of the test results are in your hands.) That way you can send to anyone and everyone that needs to see it. (You may not require this.) Be prepared just in case they ask for it.

4. Make (4) copies of everything. The embarkation pier will want one...When you board the ship the purser's desk will want one...You will want to keep one on you....And, one locked-up in your safe, in your cabin.

5. Have your Vet, chip your dog. Or, have it done wherever it's easiest for you.

6. We found that the cab drivers, in most foreign ports do not like to have dogs in their cabs. They don't have the ADA to adhere to and they really can refuse you. Either book your tours on buses or rent a car.

7. MOST IMPORTANTLY.....Foreign countries do not have the same laws we do when it comes to the LEASH LAW! There are dogs roaming streets everywhere and they're not afraid to approach you and your dog.

8. Make sure that your dog becomes used to going potty in a 4x4 box. Practice with one of your own.....fill it with wood shavings/turf or mulch. And, simply practice on it. Once he gets used to it, it will be second nature when you board the ship. And can alleviate a lot of stressful moments for your SD.

9. Make sure that you check with your steward or with the purser's desk to see where the "potty box" has been placed. (If you don't like where they put it, ask them to move it to a "crew closet" close to your cabin!)

10. The less stressed you are, the less stressed your dog will be about the movement of the ship; the closeness of other people; the wheelchairs and walkers that he'll be subjected to and the many times that he will be asked to "down/stay" in various venues. And, the times that he will be in an elevator surrounded by groping hands and moving feet!!!! :(

We find it's best to have one of us be the LOOK-OUT while we're in port. I also carry a "walking stick", when we're off the ship in foreign ports and I've used it on several occasions and it works quite well. I don't need it for walking and it does become a "conversation" piece but I also feel safer just in case a stray dog comes too close! You can board the plane and ship with it and no one will ask about it, except that it does need to be Xrayed at security.....no big deal!

HAVE FUN! I hope you love it as much as we do and do it over and over again.

My Service Dog "Brenda" thinks it's so much fun. She'll be on her 11th cruise in April.

Welcome Sandy and Rich!! My son and I are about to go on our first cruise with his service dog as well. You are leaving right before us and I hope you are excited as we are :D

Nancy, I assume If Chewey was a pet dog, they would have had him picked up by animal control and kenneled till I could get him as they would not transport a pet in the patrol car. They could not leave him in the car because of Florida weather. Now you have me really curious. What would happen in an accident if they thought a service dog was a pet?

• Here, in California, and, even if your dog has a tattoo/chip/IAADP Decal on the windshield (which would give all the necessary emergency information) and is wearing a vest; your dog would be taken to the nearest animal shelter (ASPCA). And, there the appropriate person would look for all of the above and try and contact you/emergency contact person/training organization, etc. Some CHP officers may put the dog in their car, bring it back to the station with them and try and contact someone to pick it up, or not.

There are no set laws and regulations that stipulate that a Service Dog MUST be taken to a Police Station. It's really up to the officer who's at the scene.

I always hope that it will be someone who has a particular love for these animals but you never know. The police are not mandated to handle these dogs differently than any other dogs. They know to call Animal Regulations and that's all they really have to do!

• Your SD should have good I.D. Tags and emergency information on it, all the time. I keep emergency information on a small card in Brenda's zippered pouch in her vest, next to her potty bags.
  • Brenda wears a tag on her collar identifying her as a Service Dog, with an identifying tag number. She also wears a tag with her name/my name and my phone number and her training organizations phone number, on it.

You really can't be too careful about the safety of your dog and in making sure that he/she wears all the appropriate identifiable information that is necessary, just in case of that one "God Forbid" that may happen.

Our dogs can do so much, they just can't talk and say where they live or who they belong to.

HELP THEM TO ALWAYS BE BROUGHT BACK TO YOU!!!!!

Ok, next question. Certification for a service dog is not required or available in my state. My TA just got this e-mail from RCCL:

Besides sending a copy of the service dogs certification and updated medical records, please advise the guests to bring this paperwork with them for the boarding process.

So, what do I do? Any suggestions? The only thing we have is a membership card from the IAADP.

Ok, I admit I have way too much going on in my "hard drive" (brain) so forgive me. I was a Deputy Sheriff for 24 years, I retired in 2004. Granted, we live in podunk ville, but a supervisor would have to "order" me to a.) call animal control to pick up your dog, just because you have to have your car towed or b.) "order" me not to put your dog in the back of my unit. I have transported a lot more unruly, unclean, nasty creatures than a dog! :D I have even had muddy paw prints across my time sheet! :o I guess I never really thought about it. We are so remote, and have the other extreme weather "heat" that I guess I never thought about leaving anyone with a vehicle or stranded.

I am so glad it all worked out. And Roz is absolutely correct in tagging our babies. I am an illresponsible mom, cause Reno doesn't even have any tags on right now. Barely a collar, just so I can catch his fat butt if he waddles out the gate that someone may have left open.

Good morning all.

Welcome Sand and Rich, sorry I got off on my tangent. Some things are passionate for me. Furbabies being at the top. I'm sure everyone else is sick of reading this, but I do not have a SD. Hubby could probably qualify but right now we have a soon to be 13 year old lab that has never really liked other dogs. So we deal with his personality because he just loves, loves, loves his humans. Oh, and his kitty.

Anyway, one requirement (;)) here is we get to see a picture of your sons SD and we need to know his name, (unless I missed that). Our furbabies sometimes write directly to the others. For instance:

Orson: This is Reno "speaking". Moms typing but I am telling her what to say. I sure hope you get to cruise with your family. I know you will have a great time smelling that sea air. I wish I could cruise with my family, but it wasn't meant to be. Brenda, Bailey, Denver and I can't remember who else can tell you terrific doggie stories of cruising. Signing off now, woof, woof.

So you see we get silly sometimes, but this is family here and everyone is welcome to join in. They welcomed me with open paws and no SD.

Great picture of Jon and Winstar.

Winstar reminds me of a great career change Guide Dogs for the Blind puppy we raised, Elmer. He was a great dog and we thought for sure he would "pass" but when he was returned to San Rafael after the puppy raising, he refused to eat.

At that time, they said he was the only golden that had done that (apparently it is more common in shepards). Anyway, as the puppy raisers, we were offered him back as they said he would not adjust to the kennel. Of course we took him. His muzzle turned gray around 3 years old. How old is Winstar? He looked so much like Winstar. He was such a loving pet for almost 12 years, before he died of cancer.

Our family continued to be puppy raisers (never in my wildest dreams thinking one day I might need a SD) and Elmer welcomed every puppy and helped socialize them. I still miss him.

Sorry to ramble, but Winstar just brought back so many memories of Elmer. Thanks for sharing the picture. ;)

Reno: Had you started your "puppy life" with a "Puppy Raiser" and gone into training (for at least 9 moths to one year) to become an SD, I know you would have been amazing. Because you're such a character around your kitty friends and such a loving dog to your mom and family, you would have been a truly awesome partner to someone. Enjoy your life and family.....you do a service with them everyday!

Andar: Elmer was lucky to have you in his life. I just love, love, love the look of Winstar. Before I trained with Brenda I worked with a Golden/Lab cross mix named "Braco", who looked exactly like Winstar and Elmer. I adored that dog and we were a great team!

flsunny: Presenting your IAADP card is perfect, if that's all you have, along with the necessary Vet documentation and immunization information. (Just a suggestion; copy your Drivers License and Passport and attach it to your dogs paperwork. It may help in showing how professional and sincere you are as a team.) Remember, this is not required, just a helpful suggestion.

CCI provides a great "Certification" of training card that just makes life so simpler, when going on cruises and entering public places. (Not that we haven't had our challenges, even with all that!) :mad:

The public is still so "wary" and "suspicious" of a dog outside of it's normal environment. (Or, what they perceive as "normal!")

They're not expecting to see a dog in a cruise or airline terminal/in the lobby of a hotel or anywhere else that they deem sacred to humans only!

*** Please remember to always have your SD on his/her best behavior, in public. You are representing ALL OF US when amongst them!!!!!

3. Rabies Titer Test is performed within 10 days of departure (make sure that copies of the test results are in your hands.) That way you can send to anyone and everyone that needs to see it. (You may not require this.) Be prepared just in case they ask for it.

See...this is the part that is making me crazy. I can't have the Titer Test done sooner than 10 days. I also can't send the paperwork down to the USDA sooner than 10 days. I assume the tider test results have to be on the paperwork going to the USDA. How long does the tider test take to get back to you? It just doesn't seem like 10 days is enough time to get everything there and back in time. Do I then need time to send everything to Disney Cruise? Or can I just bring that paperwork with me? We were planning on going down to WDW 3 days before the cruise. So that limits us to 7 days. GRRRRRRRR

10 days before is the ultimate and best....if you can. We had it done 3 weeks (21 days) prior to going on the Costa Majica to Brazil. I told the cruiseline and Immigration that my Vet reassured me that this is a very safe time span for the titer test to be performed. My Vet stipulated that on the form and signed it. Just have the copy of the test results with you when you board.

Laws have to be made for the "general public".....there are always possiblities for exceptions. The INSISTED on the test being done. I did it within the perameters of my life. I told the cruiseline that due to health problems and other physical demands that the test would be done within the window that my Vet suggested. And, they accepted it and we had no problem with Brenda either boarding or leaving the ship in various docks.

Talk to your Vet.

Sandy(?) or is it Rich? Anyway, you two have two very special and handsome men in your life! And, Winstar's name couldn't be more perfect, he's a winner and a star! I hope your son doesn't mind the attention he gets with Winstar. Sometimes it can be over whelming. As Roz has said, most people mean well and are just curious.

Add another pup to our pup dog list, pup dog list. Add another pup to our pup dog list, we are another number longer today! Sometimes I just have too much time with my special needs kids in one day.

Gotta go do homework. :(

Awwww Winstar is so cute!!!

Chewey went to the vet today to have his blood work done for his thyroid. I think all dogs should have the preventative for kennel cough (personal opinion) because some dim bulb brought a dog into the open clinic with kennel cough. Hello.... there are lots of other dogs and its contagious. He loves to go to the vet because he gets so much attention. The vet said I need an interstate health form to go to Mexico and to have it done 10 days before I fly, you should have seen his face when I said we were cruising. :p His food was changed today as we are eliminating gluten (the kid can't have it and now the dog can't) So now on the cruise I have to "hydrate" his food. It is a powder that you add warm water to. I am taking bottled water for him to drink, but how do I get warm water for his food? I was thinking of having room service bring it in the morning when they bring my son's hot chocolate.

Yes, just ask for hot water pot in the AM (and PM if you feed 2 x day).

The stewards are wonderful and try so hard to make your cruise pleasant. We always thank them with extra tips which mean so much to them and their families. :)

My heart goes out to any dog with "kennel cough" and, of course, the dogs around him are so susceptible to the disease.....it can be a killer! They should ALWAYS be quarantined and be on meds.

Brenda "hates" the Vet's office. She likes the Vet, himself, but the office sends her into the most "nervous, hypersensitive, ridiculous acting" buffoon of a dog. I have to ignore her, I don't touch or give her eye contact and I say very little and, I hold her leash so tightly. All she wants to do is climb up on the waiting room bench and then into my lap.....all 65 pounds of her!!!!!

This is a highly skilled/trained and extremely smart Service Dog??????? :o

Then, when we go to leave, she could be a seeing eye dog......she, literally, pulls me to the back door, turns the knob with her teeth, pushes her muzzle in the opening, opens it up and pulls me out the door........OY!!!! :eek: It's a riot. I know I can train this out of her....but, it's become part of her M.O.

Wow, about the gluten thing. These dogs can be so complicated! The water thing is no problem, we always bring a flat from Costco, give it to the porter and it finds its way to our room (lots of extra tipping), although they say that the water on the ship is purified.....we don't take any chances with Brenda's stomach.

As everyone said, call room service (no charge, just some extra tipping) and get your warm water from them.

The form your Vet is speaking of is very familiar but, again, I must say, I get it once during her yearly exam; it shows all her immunizations are current; she's on heartguard and flea/tick med's; her tattoo number; her general health (skin/eyes/ears/fur, etc.). I use this (one) for all my cruises during the same year. I have NEVER been refused entrance on any ship, by any cruiseline, with this form and the date of the visit (which may be as much as 6 months out!)

Of course, as I've said...I have so much documentation on Brenda.....they're actually impressed at my thoroughness and never question anything. It's that "stand tall/look very positive and have Brenda in her down/stay" also looking very positive position.

fl: Have a wonderful cruise with Chewey and your family.

I think most dogs really act up at the vets office. I would hate to think most of these dogs normally act the way they do there. Isn't it funny how different situations cause them to change their behavior? Chewey lives in a neighborhood with squirells. We see them when we camp, hike, go to the park, etc and he has NO interest in them at all. We go to Sea World and he ignores all the animals and is perfect until he saw a squirrel and took off after it. What the heck?!

He got his new food and loves it. My son wants to taste it, lol.

Hi All: It seems forever since I have been on the Board. We had a Fall 10 day cruise to the deep south from Fort Lauderdale and enjoyed it very much. Holland America treats us so well. The front desk manager asked for a picture to be taken of Oz with the staff, for the staff newletter.(Of course, I was there right beside him)

We are on the go again at the beginning of April - from Fort Lauderdale to Rome via a couple of stops in Spain, Portugal, Monti Carlo. We will stay for 6 days in Rome. The cruise is booked. The flights to Fort L., and back from Rome to Toronto and the B&B accommodation in Rome are also done. Just need to book a hotel for the one night in Fort L., before the cruise.

I downloaded the Italian Health form for Oz, which his vet and then the Gov't of Canada vet will fill in.

I hope everyone is looking forward to the upcoming Seasonal break.

1439799923_ozinsd001.jpg.070010015398874b53a06ebe79ac340a.jpg

Really wishing I could cancel my cruise and I will probably cancel our August cruise. This has been more aggrivation than it is worth. I have provided them with a copy of his IAADP card and his shot records. They kept asking for certification so I sent them a copy of the US DOJ business brief and even highlighted the parts about certification not being required. There is no national certification and my state does not have certification. No matter how well his service dog behaves, or what tasks he performs he will never be certified. Now I get:

Because the CDC (Center of Disease Control) supersedes ADA, we ask that all guest(s) provide updated shot records and their service animal certification.

Also, onboard our vessels, we have no medical support onboard for animals. We need to ensure the safety of all of our guest.

flsunnymommy,

Just take one step at a time. Get each piece of documentation needed, put it in a folder and when you have them all together, email or fax them.

You have time. One step at a time. It can get overwhelmng and frustrating, but you will get there.

I think most dogs really act up at the vets office. I would hate to think most of these dogs normally act the way they do there.

Isn't that the truth! As if I don't have enough problems with my "child", the last vet he had was a woman. He loves his lady vets. Can't blame him, I guess. Anyway, as soon as he would walk (bolt) through the door, the girls would all start saying "Reno's here!" Not only were they the vet, they also boarded him while we were gone. Anyway, he would start barking, whining, wiggling and then plant both front feet on the front desk. It was very embarassing for me, but they all loved it.

As for frustrating paperwork, wait for Roz to come back. I'm sure she can get you to the bottom of this. Just sounds like you have someone that doesn't really know what they are doing. If Florida does not have a certification certificate then there has to be a way around it. Its just getting to the right department or person.

Andar has an excellent idea of a folder. Even if the forms expire and have to be renewed, I keep copies so I know what the form looked like. Every year I have to renew my husbands health insurance form with his former employer to give to my union for his health benefits. I keep copies so I don't have to look up dates and other information. Makes the next year very easy. Once you get this paperwork done, August will be easy!

MCDW:

Oz is a precious. Looks very relaxed on (his)? lounger. His tan is coming along mavalous!