Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I got an e-mail back from Tortola today with the site to download the forms needed to bring a service dog there. I had to e-mail them back to find out if the $10 fee is waived for service dogs. Still waiting for an answer.

http://www.psdp.gov.vg/index.php?ref=forms&dpto_id=1

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

But wait...it gets better. I just got this from Disney Special Services...

I have enclosed the information I received from Tortola for a service animal permit

They also advised me of the following:

On each occasion in Tortola, the Dog needs to be seen by a representative from the Department of Agriculture as they need to see the original documentation/certifications and to check for chips. The owner of the dog does not necessarily have to be present. Also, whether the dog is remaining on board or coming ashore, the same procedure needs to be followed.

I hope that means someone will be meeting the ship to check the paperwork and the dogs chip and I don't have to go somewhere to get this done.

But wait...it gets better. I just got this from Disney Special Services...

I have enclosed the information I received from Tortola for a service animal permit

They also advised me of the following:

On each occasion in Tortola, the Dog needs to be seen by a representative from the Department of Agriculture as they need to see the original documentation/certifications and to check for chips. The owner of the dog does not necessarily have to be present. Also, whether the dog is remaining on board or coming ashore, the same procedure needs to be followed.

I hope that means someone will be meeting the ship to check the paperwork and the dogs chip and I don't have to go somewhere to get this done.

So do I have this right. At every port they will screen to make sure you have the orginal international health cert. and is chipped?

Sure hope they all have the scanning machines:p

andar

great letter !!!!!!! i too will write from my experience with the cat litter .. who did you contact and what was the address... i think we all need to write

ALSO anyone ever cruised disney ? i noticed some r cruisng this line ... i have relief area tips for you it is a NIGHTMERE if u dont have a balcony room or room twards the aft ( in my opinion at least ) you have to use a deck thats locked half the time and WAIT for someone to come with a key

denver and i sat on teh floor of the hall and waited 1 hour and then again 25 min several times on ur 3 night cruise !

lemme know if your cruising DCL i have an idea for us DCL ers for our SDs

cari and Denver

also make sure your international health cert is the right one theres 2 international forms ... where r you crusing to .... sorry cant remember who is cruisng DCL but i just read the post on it

also it does sound like they will meet you at the ship to check the chip

who r you dealing with at DCL ?

We will be cruising on DCL in July. Seven night Eastern Caribbean. Going to Tortola, St. Thomas & Castaway Cay. Between DCL Special Services and Tortola, I think I have all the paperwork. I did find out that Tortola DOES NOT waive the $10 fee. Now I have to e-mail Carol at Special Services to find out if I have to send her a $10 check with the paperwork.

We do have a balcony cabin so I'm hoping they put the kiddie pool there.

We will be cruising on DCL in July. Seven night Eastern Caribbean. Going to Tortola, St. Thomas & Castaway Cay. Between DCL Special Services and Tortola, I think I have all the paperwork. I did find out that Tortola DOES NOT waive the $10 fee. Now I have to e-mail Carol at Special Services to find out if I have to send her a $10 check with the paperwork.

We do have a balcony cabin so I'm hoping they put the kiddie pool there.

That would be so nice if you could have it on the balcony. We asked about having it in our room, but they said no - we did not have a balcony and that may make all the difference.

Ok, I still have not heard back from RCCL on what the potty box will have in it or what the requirements are for Mexico. For Mexico I only need the International Health Certificate, right? Is that good for a year or 10 days?

RCCL will give you a 3'x3' wood box (even though they'll tell you it will be 4'x4' :rolleyes:) with some Cypress mulch in it. For me, they put it on one of the outside decks (deck 5) almost all the way aft (it was in the hallway leading to the stairs to get to the helipad) - this was too far away! So, DO speak up if the box is so far from you!! I wish I had. (Of course, if I ever cruise again [i like land vacations MUCH better - more time in one spot instead of just a few hours there - but may go again with my friend's group someday], I'll likely purchase that thin plastic doggy potty with the doggy grass in it ["In The Company of Dogs" catalog sells it, but it is also what somebody previously posted a link to] and put it on my balcony.)

For Mexico, yes, all you need is the int'l health certificate. Mexico's entry requirements are that it be done within 72 hours (I think it is) of travel. The certificate itself is good for 30 days, but most countries require it to be shorter than that betwen getting it and entry (getting into/back into the U.S. is 10 days, for instance). Mexico has access laws for guide dogs, but not other types of SDs (at least not since I was there in Feb.), but you hopefully won't have any problems once you explain what your SD is and does and what the U.S. laws are and all (as a hint/example).

Have fun!! :D

To everybody else: Sorry I've been so absent, I just don't have the time to come here that often since I'm not planning on going on any cruises anytime soon. But I'm glad y'all who have travelled since I was last here had good cruises (save for a few potty box problems)!

I didn't see that anybody had any questions about the ADA laws I posted, but if anybody does, just let me know; I'm always glad to educate (okay, a little LESS glad if it is an access problem so many years after the ADA was put into place, LOL!).

Oh - and to the person who asked about SD gear and luggage:

Medical gear does not count towards your carry-on baggage limit, but it does have to fit within the size guidelines allowed. This is on ALL airlines (on flights into/out of/inside the U.S.), as it is an ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act) regulation. And, of course, it has to go through the same screening process as all other carry-on bags - which could be a pain in the butt if you have a lot of liquids/gels over 3 oz. to declare (such as supplements, canned dog food, doggy toothpaste, etc.).

There is no ACAA regulation for medical gear as checked baggage, however, so you have to rely on individual airlines' rules. Most airlines do allow one checked medical gear bag for free/not to count towards your checked baggage limit, but do look up the airline(s) you are going on for their rules before you fly (or, better yet, before you book so you can choose another airline if it is possible). The policy should be on their Web site.

Do know that a bag needs to be ALL medical supplies in order to count as medical baggage; you can't have a bag that is half clothes and half medical supplies and claim it as a free medical bag that doesn't count towards your limit.

RCCL will give you a 3'x3' wood box (even though they'll tell you it will be 4'x4' :rolleyes:)

Actually, I just had my ruler out to see how big those doggy potties on that Web site are (they listed two sizes and said the smaller one can fit in an airplane overhead bin, so you know I just HAD to get out the ruler to see if it was true by sight judgement!). Now that I see how long 3' is, I highly doubt the box we were given was even that big!! It was more like 2' square. :(

(Of course, the small doggy potty on that site is smaller than that and the larger one won't fit in a plane bin, but I guess you could get two of the small potties and put them right next to each other for use, but stack them on top of each other for travelling. I would definitely line the tray with doggy pee pads [the kind with the absorbant crystals that soak up lots and quickly, not the kind that is only layers of cotton], by the way! [The floor in between two potties if I did the two small ones next to each other, too, just in case.] You can get those from PetEdge and Drs. Foster & Smith, not to mention plenty of other places.)

First: I want to thank everyone who gave me the great suggestions about Benadryl....Brenda has been on it for 3 weeks and is doing amazingly well! Her eyes and ears are not red everyday and she's not scratching at her ears. She takes 25mg in the morning and 25mg at night. I tried giving her 50mg all at once and she was so sleepy....she looked and acted like she was drunk!

I drop a capsule into her kibble along with her Glucosamine/Chon. and I cover it all with 7 squirts of salmon oil and she gobbles it all up.

Amazing how the simplest solution was the best one.

Nancy: I buy the Benadryl at a Kaiser Pharmacy (you don't need a membership to do this) and, you can get a lot and it was cheaper than anywhere else.

FlSunny and Peter: Brenda is a double coated (looks like a teddy bear) black Lab. Her fur is thick/shiny and so pretty. I bathe her every two months and ALWAYS a day before we cruise. I brush her fur and teeth daily. Salmon oil has made a huge difference in her dander and shedding problems (and, it's good for their heart and joints.)

Peter, your "dead dog" stories are hysterical but so true. I get them all the time. And, you're so right about the "rock star" thing. I'm stopped EVERY SINGLE DAY, not to mention in the airport and on the cruise ship and asked a myriad of questions and told so many stories. I've learned to listen with an open heart....most of these people are wishing that they could have their furbabies with them, just like Brenny!

Sunshine, Linda & Darcie....I ALWAYS try to listen and be polite when I'm stopped by the public but it is difficult, when you're trying to get somewhere quickly or just want to be alone.....And, "Comfort/Emotional Dogs" do not have the same access ability as Service Dogs. However, that being said.....sometimes, after being questioned the 100th time about "what does your dog do or what is your problem", because you're not blind and your reason for the dog is not obvious.....the simpliest answer is the one that works best! :confused:

That maybe what the woman who said the dog was a "comfort dog" was trying to convey....Who wants to tell strangers that they have any disorder of any kind? Some folks can be pretty nosey!

Also, Mexico requires an Agricultural Inspection Form (which will have the Vet check/immunization record/HeartGuard usage/flea-tick abatement usage, on it).....along with the City License, Service Dog Tag (California Residence), copy of Organization Training card (if you have one).

I get all of this ONCE A YEAR. I go to the Vet get the form, make sure Brenda's current on all her Vaccines and I use this form for all 3 of my cruises within the year. Brenda's cruises to Mexico (all eight of them) have all been done the same way.....

I agree about the "litter" that is being used. It can vary and should be the same. NCL was the best at this (although, I don't care so much for their ships).....they use a "mulch", they filled it half-way, they lined the box with a heavy-duty plastic, the box was 4x4 and Brenda liked it the best!

Princess (this last time) used those damn "pellets" and anyone who owns or knows about Labs knows that their paws are webbed (for swimming) and they are very sensitive....those pellets "jab" into their paws (webbing) and, it hurts.... Brenda hates them.....because she had no choice, we used them.....but she would step, ever so lightly onto them and she would literally "jump" off!!!!!!! I used to bring mulch with me but stopped when Princess was using wood shavings. MISTAKE!

Have you ever seen a dog "hold it in!" She would only relieve herself once a day for "poop" (normal is twice) and would only "pee" twice.....(normal, 3 to 4!)

In the past they always used wood shavings and they worked very well! I always have to remind them to fill the box more because when a dog goes to the bathroom they use their hind legs for gripping and when their legs slip it's uncomfortable for them.......

Oh! Why is this so difficult to understand?.....Have they never seen a dog go to the bathroom??????? :o

A letter to Princess is forthcoming about our most recent experience with the "litter" and the best thing to do for our dogs and their needs. I will work on it!

If you didn't see my postings......Our cruise on November 15th, on the Sapphire was wonderful (inspite of the litterbox fiasco) and, we're looking forward to our next on April 18th, again on the Sapphire. :)

Roz, welcome home! Glad you had a great cruise. The relief boxes should be so easy but I guess they don't get it. On the positive side,

I did send an email (copied it here on the boards) and just got an email back from my Access Care Coordinator. She wrote:

"I am so sorry about the below (the problems with relief boxes). I would like to contact you when I get back from vacation in two weeks to discuss this and what we can do to improve the situation onboard. "

So I am hoping we will be able to help educate the cruise lines as to the needs of the dogs and I know it will help the crew as well. :) I will let you know if I hear anymore but as she said, it could be a couple of weeks.

Darcie: You may be the one to get through to Princess and make it so much better for all of us......Let us know how it goes and if I can help in any way.

It sounds like a simple thing but it's really not! And, really should be...they just complicate it! Anything that you can do to make it better for all of us would be so appreciated....again, I'll help in any way I can.

Keep us informed!!!!!! :)

Also, Mexico requires an Agricultural Inspection Form (which will have the Vet check/immunization record/HeartGuard usage/flea-tick abatement usage, on it).....along with the City License, Service Dog Tag (California

Residence), copy of Organization Training card

Roz, did you just hand your packet (copy) to the Pursers desk? I did that and then just walked off and on at ports. No one asked for anything so I assumed they took care of it.

We booked another cruise. This is to Alaska, Sea Princess, RT from SF on 9/1/09. Maybe someone can join us and Bailey will have a friend on the cruse:D

Darcie: I promise if you don't go to the purser's desk with all your information they will contact you before they reach the first port. ;) ( I always have a copy of everything, one to give to the folks at the debarkation terminal and one to give to the pursers desk.)

And, you won't need any of us to join you on your cruise you'll have and will make lots of new friends, with Bailey as your host! You'll also have some paparazzi who will want to take pictures....you star you!!!!! Again, it's not about you, it's all about that amazing 4-legged helper who accompanies you!

I realize now, that it just goes with the territory of going through life with a Service Dog! :)

denver and i cruised disney and had sod in our little litter pool... he goes on anything but he liked this alot ... i say if they offer the sod TAKE IT !!!!!!!!!! Denver says take the sod from the dog god LOL

hope this helps

cari and Dever

ps ROZ i havent forgotten about our dinner at soupplantation, just been very busy still have ur number though

Dear All,

HAL always uses sod and it works great.

I spoke to Allison Muff, on Friday, December 5th; she is the "Special Needs" Coordinator for Princess lines. I told her how "awful" the pellets were, on our last cruise, in that they really hurt when the dogs stepped on them and especially when only a 1/2 inch is layed down in the box.

She said that Princess is working on a solution to the "litter" box and its contents.

I reminded her that we would be back onboard the Sapphire on April 18th and didn't want to face the same issues we had on November 15th. (Please do not use the pellets!)

She re-assured me that it is being worked on. ;)

For your information and if you want to follow-up with your own phone calls her number is:

Allison Muff: 661.284.4521 Fax: 661.284.4408.

Between you and I.....this is fairly new to Princess and all other cruiselines.....the influx of people using Service Dogs and being so visible in the public will become more and more in the future and that's a very good thing!!! :)

Dear All,

HAL always uses sod and it works great.

I spoke to Allison Muff, on Friday, December 5th; she is the "Special Needs" Coordinator for Princess lines. I told her how "awful" the pellets were, on our last cruise, in that they really hurt when the dogs stepped on them and especially when only a 1/2 inch is layed down in the box.

She said that Princess is working on a solution to the "litter" box and its contents.

I reminded her that we would be back onboard the Sapphire on April 18th and didn't want to face the same issues we had on November 15th. (Please do not use the pellets!)

She re-assured me that it is being worked on. ;)

For your information and if you want to follow-up with your own phone calls her number is:

Allison Muff: 661.284.4521 Fax: 661.284.4408.

Between you and I.....this is fairly new to Princess and all other cruiselines.....the influx of people using Service Dogs and being so visible in the public will become more and more in the future and that's a very good thing!!! :)

Roz, Allison is is who I was working with as well. She promised to be in contact with me when she returns from vacation. I am hopeful we will be able to resolve this issue (at least on Princess cruises).

I will let you know when I hear back from her.

Glad you are back and had a nice cruise!