Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I would like to hear about it as well. Please tell us. I know Roz will give us the "411" when she gets back. I have a ultra sweet SD in training at my feet. Actaully curled up under the knee hole section of the desk like a good SD at work should be. Off to the high school later and out on errands. Just wanted to drop by and see if there were any new hot topics in discussion.:D

Wizard of Roz and others,

Would like to know your opinion on this thread about a woman who took her comfort dog on her cruise to 'calm' her. :confused: Is this woman scamming the system or is a comfort dog a true service dog?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=876666

Would like to know what the pro's think.

Linda

That women was not me but I would like to share the post I put on the other thread after returning from our cruise today.

Don't get me wrong, I had a wonderful time but here is the flip side: :rolleyes:

We just returned from a 10 cruise with my medical alert ,service dog. We just happened to be on a cruise where there were also a number of guide dogs.

First, let me say that I tried to be polite and answer all questions as I believe people are truly just curious and want to be educated. I participated in a question and answer session with the dogs (although it did use most of my energy for the day)

I have a service dog is because I have limited energy, mobility and visual deficits and other issues where she is able to alert me to to assit me.

The ship held over two thousand passengers and I am sure I answered a question from every one of them!

It was sometimes exhausting just trying to get from point A to point B on the ship. If it took 5 minutes to get there, we needed to allow 20 minutes. People would call out my dog's name, distract her by whistling or trying to pet her. They would quiz me in the elevators as to my medical needs. (how would you like to discuss your very personal medical condition in elevators full of people?).

The group that brought the guide dogs even had information for the passengers left in all the cabins on how to interact with service dogs. It did not help in my case.

My dog was smaller and obviously not a guide dog. She did go everywhere with me; that is what I need (except when my husband took her to the relief boxes). However, it is possible that some people only saw her with him as their schedules in the hallway might have been her schedule too.

She was very well behaved, went under the tables in the dining rooms. She did go with me to the Horizon Court on a couple of occasions. I would not have been able to maneuver the crowd by myself without her. She was well under the serving rail.

She also went to several shows with me. At one of the shows, some people might have seen me holding her (instead of her usual position under the seat). She was actually alerting me. The production used strobe lights that were pointed in the audience. This resulted in an immediate blinding headache for me. She was doing what she was trained to do. However, someone walking by might have observed "a normal looking women holding her dog on her lap" and not seen the medication I had just taken and the time to try to relax so I could try to walk out of there and get back to my cabin.

I loved talking about her when I was sitting down--by myself.

But when I was trying to walk or talking with others or playing cards, I would have complete strangers come up and interrupt. It was disturbing not only to me but to the people I was with at the time. They wanted to take pictures, ask all kinds of questions about her and then get really personal with asking me medical questions. I know they assumed they were the only one that asked that question(s) not the 100th of the day.

I ask people to put yourself in that situation. Even if you felt comfortable telling one person, "I had a brain injury" you might not feel comfortable repeating it literally hundreds of times a day. Even if you did state your medical condition, it just opens the door to more questions, comments, and their stories; how did it happen? how long in hospital? what can't you do? I had a uncle, friend co-worker, that had...blah, blah, blah,... it is hard to be polite.

Remember one of the reasons for going on a cruise was for a relaxing vacation. In my case it was also a rehabilitation reward to myself when I made enough progress I thought I could go and take a break - with the help of my SD.

By the way, Princess did require a lot of paperwork. I am glad they did. If you see a dog on Princess just assume that dog is REALLY A working dog (unless it is not well behaved and then you know it has not been trained properly).

As to the stewards cleaning the cabins. Our steward said he wished all passengers were as neat and clean as we were. There was absolutely no evidence a dog had been in the cabin. He was very sweet in leaving a little biscuit in her bowl each night. Hey, if we got mints on the pillows she deserved that extra treat too:)

Again, most people were polite but if only 10% of the over two thousand passengers were jerks, that makes 200 jerks divided by 10 days which averages 20 jerks a day on my VACATION and that was only during the 5 or 6 hours a day I had the stamina to be out and about!

Anyone who thinks taking their PET on a cruise will be fun is delusional. :p

People with a SD would love to just be able to go and enjoy a "normal' cruise.

Sorry for the long cruise but I just got back today and read this thread and it struck a cord. Maybe this will provide some insight. :)

Edited by Andar

Darcie, I just read your story and I'm not surprised. There is always jerks that need to be educated. Hope you did that! I hope you managed to enjoy your cruise anyway. And welcome back! Cindy

Thanks Cindy, we had a wonderful time! I hope I was effective in educating people. I re-read my post and it did sound negative. I didn't really mean for it to sound that way, just wanted to present the "other side" for those that thinkk it is not more work to bring your SD onboard.

There was a dicussion earlier about the relief boxes. The had four on board and they were filled with hamster type shavings and one with paper pellets. What a mess! Previous to the cruise I had emailed the access coordinator and requested bark. I was assured it would be bark.

The guide dog group also requested bark. They said they would fix it at first port. They got wood blocks! oops try again. In PV they got the bark and that helped a lot. They really needed more than four boxes with the number of dogs on board or to clean it more. There was no visible solids but the urine smell was bad and my girl would wait until there was no choice but to go.

So I would suggest you take a bag of whatever material you dog likes. There is often language confusion (wood blocks) the comfort of our partners is just too important. :rolleyes:

This was Bailey's first cruise and I was so proud of her, she did great.

Edited by Andar

Well, Roz and Brenny should be back today! Can't wait to hear their review. :D

Darcie:

I did read the frustration in your post. But I understand. I guess the jerks are the ones that did not go to the lecture on the service dogs. I would have loved to be on your cruise and see all the furbabies loving the fresh sea air! I wonder if it was that there was a large group of dogs that made everyone more aware of them? If there were only one or two maybe it wouldn't have been so noticable.

We had a black lab on our 14 day Hawaii cruise and he didn't really seem to get bothered that much. His mom was alone, so I think she sought out others for companionship. Most people were use to him and would say hi to mom and keep moving.

Well, Roz and Brenny should be back today! Can't wait to hear their review. :D

Darcie:

I did read the frustration in your post. But I understand. I guess the jerks are the ones that did not go to the lecture on the service dogs. I would have loved to be on your cruise and see all the furbabies loving the fresh sea air! I wonder if it was that there was a large group of dogs that made everyone more aware of them? If there were only one or two maybe it wouldn't have been so noticable.

We had a black lab on our 14 day Hawaii cruise and he didn't really seem to get bothered that much. His mom was alone, so I think she sought out others for companionship. Most people were use to him and would say hi to mom and keep moving.

Maybe you are right about having the other dogs made people feel more comfortable. It was almost like they thought we should be their entertainment! Of course, the majority were fine, but the shear number of distractions trying to get from point A to point B was really overwhelming sometimes (at least to me) Bailey took it all in stride.

You can see how relaxed she was in PV

DSCF1025.jpg.c4e70d6eab07f55a0bbd1d617ee4c04b.jpg

Edited by Andar

Sometimes I feel that those that have service dogs and do not have an easily identifiable disability get more attention. I think it may be partly because they thing we are training dogs or just snuck our pet in. People comment on how lucky you are to have "your dog" with you, but they have no understanding how much work it is as well.

My son loves the attention some times and it does help him be more social, but at times he just wants to be a normal kid. We went to Universal Studios today and people continually asked about the dog, grabbed at him and called to him. My son after awhile became very frustrated because he to just wanted to enjoy his day. We ended up buying my son this rediculous pink flamingo hat that he wore around the park. We was so happy that the people noticed him wearing the hat instead of Chewey and he was just seen as a kid having a good time.

I am glad you had a good cruise and I really like that the passengers were informed of service dog etiquette.

Sometimes I feel that those that have service dogs and do not have an easily identifiable disability get more attention. I think it may be partly because they thing we are training dogs or just snuck our pet in. People comment on how lucky you are to have "your dog" with you, but they have no understanding how much work it is as well.

My son loves the attention some times and it does help him be more social, but at times he just wants to be a normal kid. .......

You are so right, if people don't "see" your disability, they feel more at ease asking questions, if you have a service dog that doesn't fit the norm, then it is even worse.

You hit the nail on the head:

We all just want to be seen as normal 'kids':D

I am asked all the time if I am training the SDs I have out. Now, I am actually reinforcing their training and it is somewhat obvious at times as you will hear lot's of positive cues and reinforcement, but at othertimes, it is not. It must be so difficult to hear that question over and over. I am glad that thread is active on the Princess board as it will provide some education and maybe some others will "pay it forward" with etiquette.

Darcie:

Puerta Vallarta is our favorite port. We could sit, like you are all day and people watch. I also love the fact that they have such a large shopping area right at the port. I'm not a big shopper, so if I need anything hubby can plant himself at one of the little cafe's I can cruise faster and get the shopping done in no time.

Bailey does look like she is relaxed and on vacation. I'm glad she took it in stride. That really wouldn't have been pleasant having her keyed up.

I hope you got some down time. We cruise for the same reason, relax, relax and some more relaxation. Hubby may not get up til after noon sometimes. I just let him sleep.

Darcie:

Puerta Vallarta is our favorite port. We could sit, like you are all day and people watch. I also love the fact that they have such a large shopping area right at the port. I'm not a big shopper, so if I need anything hubby can plant himself at one of the little cafe's I can cruise faster and get the shopping done in no time.

Bailey does look like she is relaxed and on vacation. I'm glad she took it in stride. That really wouldn't have been pleasant having her keyed up.

I hope you got some down time. We cruise for the same reason, relax, relax and some more relaxation. Hubby may not get up til after noon sometimes. I just let him sleep.

She did get a chance to run on the beach. However, since there are no leash laws, I would caution anyone with a service dog to be very very careful of stray dogs. :eek:

We were in a little protected area and had several people on the look-out for dogs. Since Bailey is a whippet, she really does need to get some running in to be happy. She is so fast that the people were amazed. She is a sprinter, so after a couple of really fast runs, she was happy as a claim and ready to go back to work.

My son loves the attention some times and it does help him be more social, but at times he just wants to be a normal kid. We went to Universal Studios today and people continually asked about the dog, grabbed at him and called to him. My son after awhile became very frustrated because he to just wanted to enjoy his day. We ended up buying my son this rediculous pink flamingo hat that he wore around the park. We was so happy that the people noticed him wearing the hat instead of Chewey and he was just seen as a kid having a good time.

I am glad you had a good cruise and I really like that the passengers were informed of service dog etiquette.

Thanks so much for posting this. We thought we were the only ones that felt this way. I agree with you that sometimes Cameron wants just to be a normal kid and not have to explain about his dog all the time. We just remind him that he and Werin are famous, and everyone wants to talk with him (kidding). However, after living in L.A. and seeing some of what the TV and movie stars having to go through to interact with people all the time, when they never expect it and even when they are trying to be private, we have a little understanding.

Maybe it is just us, but does your service dog attract all the "dead dog" stories? We constantly have folks come up and tell us about their dog that just died, or that their dog looked like Werin and just passed, etc. Usually we are really good and feel sorry, but after a few times a day, it can get a little much, esp. for Cameron. (we are obviously so cold and heartless, wink, wink).

Well like the movie stars we are . . . we need to support those questions about the dog. I do bring lots of pamphlets with me for CCI if we are in a rush, as well as started printing up cards for Cameron to hand out that talk about what Werin does for him.

As to the "training" comments, we get them all the time, and they don't seem to bother us anymore. It has just turned into one of the constant questions we get when we are out in public. Cameron has gotten much better at answering directly, which is the blessing for having such a wonderful dog that has helped him so much. It all comes with the territory.

But it is fun to hear that others have similar experiences.

Edited by dvdfreakmc

Thanks so much for posting this. We thought we were the only ones that felt this way. I agree with you that sometimes Cameron wants just to be a normal kid and not have to explain about his dog all the time. We just remind him that he and Werin are famous, and everyone wants to talk with him (kidding). However, after living in L.A. and seeing some of what the TV and movie stars having to go through to interact with people all the time, when they never expect it and even when they are trying to be private, we have a little understanding.

Maybe it is just us, but does your service dog attract all the "dead dog" stories? We constantly have folks come up and tell us about their dog that just died, or that their dog looked like Werin and just passed, etc. Usually we are really good and feel sorry, but after a few times a day, it can get a little much, esp. for Cameron. (we are obviously so cold and heartless, wink, wink).

Well like the movie stars we are . . . we need to support those questions about the dog. I do bring lots of pamphlets with me for CCI if we are in a rush, as well as started printing up cards for Cameron to hand out that talk about what Werin does for him.

As to the "training" comments, we get them all the time, and they don't seem to bother us anymore. It has just turned into one of the constant questions we get when we are out in public. Cameron has gotten much better at answering directly, which is the blessing for having such a wonderful dog that has helped him so much. It all comes with the territory.

But it is fun to hear that others have similar experiences.

Oh yeah, not only their dead dog stories but they had an aunt, sister, brother, friend, etc. that had a dog and died; or whippet breed stories for us; or they knew someone that was a puppy raiser or had a service dog or they had or knew someone that had a Greyhound, whippet, or italian greyhound; or then watched a greyhound race once, or knew someone that rescued a greyhound. :rolleyes:

Some are interesting stories but I agree when you are just trying to enjoy yourself it is hard to put on the "I am interested in your story" face, when you have heard it or a similar version dozens of time a day.

I did find the cards that I made up on Bailey helpful. I just did it on the computer and it has her picture. Then I printed: Thank you for asking about me. I am a Whippet. I am a medical alert dog. I can run fast and even though I am skinny I eat a lot! then the web site of the org. (those are my most asked questions (besides "what is wrong with you")!

These cards were so helpful when people were trying to stop me on the way to the bathroom or a schedule to meet someone or the tender or event. I would just say sorry I am in a rush and hand them the card.

I still carry the "What is a Service Dog" and some other IAADP and Delta info, but did find the cards easy to keep in my pocket. :)

I can say that Chewey has helped amazingly in the social aspects. People never forget my son because they remember the boy with the service dog. When we show up at events for autism and special needs families, everyone knows his name and comes to talk to him. Chewey is a social magnet.

My son made business cards online that he hands out to people who ask about Chewey. It has a picture of a golden and tells about Chewey and he loves giving them out. Thankfully we have never gotten the dead dog stories, but it could be because our patches say Autism Service Dog. We educate the public and share with them as much as we can, but there are those times when my son just can't handle anymore and you have to apologize and just keep going.

Good news is Chewey will potty on mulch without issue. At Universal they changed one of the rest areas to mulch and he went on it without a second thought.

Good news is Chewey will potty on mulch without issue. At Universal they changed one of the rest areas to mulch and he went on it without a second thought.

That is so great that Chewey will go on mulch.

I had emailed the access coordinator before the cruise and asked that the relief box have mulch. I said I had read on CC where there was a problem with cat litter. I was assured the problem was taken care of and the mulch would be in the boxes.

Long story short, our box had cat litter, the boxes at the front of the ship had 'hamster shavings' . We asked for a change but were at sea for three days. When we got to port they came back with wooden BLOCKS. :eek:

That was not good but at least we were in another port the next day with a Walmart and they came back with bark mulch. Much better!

The cat litter and the newspaper and 'hamster wood shavings' were a terrible mess. :( The dogs would track it all over. Also they fill the boxes so high it spills out when the dog steps in.

With so many more service dogs cruising now, I don't know why they don't build or buy a permanent clean system like one of the following. :confused:

http://petapotty.stores.yahoo.net/xxpe.html

http://www.yachtsee.com/puphead.htm?gclid=CILz25XfjJcCFRg6awoddRHR1g

You must be on the countdown now to your cruise!

Oh and I did buy a life jacket for her but our room steward brought one to us (even though it it was AFTER muster) same brand.

Edited by Andar

Just the picture of a dog going in hamster shavings or shredded newspaper is disgusting. :mad: I think I will take some pee pads just incase to lay down in the box. We are so excited and wishing everything goes as planned. We have another cruise booked for August and it will also be our first plane flight together.

Just the picture of a dog going in hamster shavings or shredded newspaper is disgusting. :mad: I think I will take some pee pads just incase to lay down in the box. We are so excited and wishing everything goes as planned. We have another cruise booked for August and it will also be our first plane flight together.

Wow, Chewey and your son will be old pros by next fall. How long is the flight?

Going from South West Florida to Los Angles, California. A LONG flight with a layover. More worried about the kid than the dog. We are going to try to take a local flight beforehand to make sure my son can handle it. Also can't take as much luggage. I wonder, does stuff for the service dog count against the luggage and carry on count?

Going from South West Florida to Los Angles, California. A LONG flight with a layover. More worried about the kid than the dog. We are going to try to take a local flight beforehand to make sure my son can handle it. Also can't take as much luggage. I wonder, does stuff for the service dog count against the luggage and carry on count?

Wow, sounds like a long day. I would love to do more cruises, but living on the west coast I just go out of the west because of the long flight. I don't think I could do it. Bailey would be fine :)

That is a good question about Chewey's stuff. You might want to call the airline and find out. Do they charge more for medical equipment someone might need to bring, like a walker or wheel chair:confused:

If it is packed, then yes. However, we have learned after multiple flights to bring enough for 2 days in our carry on, including food, bags, etc. Just in case!

Also, where are you laying over? We do this pretty regularly, and depending on where you are, there may be a quick relief area just outside security.

I e-mailed Carol from Disney Cruise Special Services over the weekend about the paperwork we will need to take our daughters SD on the cruise next summer. She got back to me today with all the vet paperwork and the form for the Bahamas. The only form she couldn't send me was the one for Tortola. I tried going to one of their web-sites but the link for the form does not work. I do have the phone number, fax number and e-mail address for them. I think I may try to e-mail first. Unless someone has the form already and can direct me to it.

Also, can I assume that there is no form needed for St. Thomas?

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

ANDAR and any other cruisers who had cat litter please e mail me direct at COUNTRYGRL290@AOL.COM i was the first luck cruiser to get the litter remember? anyways we need to all get togerther and write acess dept or someone higher up... i KNEW they would give you guys litter i even told them you gyus were coming and NOT to give you litter UGGGHhhhhh anyways we will get it straight for all of the future SD cruisers just everyone who had litter please e mail me we will coordinate SOMETHING our voice must be herd

cari and Denver

ps i would have been ok with the shavings ... but MAN isnt that litter a nightmere ?

ANDAR and any other cruisers who had cat litter please e mail me direct at COUNTRYGRL290@AOL.COM i was the first luck cruiser to get the litter remember? anyways we need to all get togerther and write acess dept or someone higher up... i KNEW they would give you guys litter i even told them you gyus were coming and NOT to give you litter UGGGHhhhhh anyways we will get it straight for all of the future SD cruisers just everyone who had litter please e mail me we will coordinate SOMETHING our voice must be herd

cari and Denver

ps i would have been ok with the shavings ... but MAN isnt that litter a nightmere ?

Thanks for the warning. I did email the access cordinator and was assured there would be no cat litter. I sent this email off to her yesterday. I will let you know if and when I get a response.

First I want to thank you for your assistance in taking my service dog on our recent cruise on the Star. We had a wonderful time. I am not sure if you ever get feedback after the cruise. I would like to provide some in the hopes that it will help future cruisers.

The issue of the cat litter used in the service dog relief area was not resolved as you thought it had been.

Our room steward set up a box for us on our aft deck which was so nice of him. However, it did have cat litter and was filled to the brim so it was very messy and our dog would not use it. Since we were on the cruise with a number of other service dogs, boxes were set up for them to the towards the bow on deck 7. However, they had paper pellets and what I call "hamster shavings' in them. The crew was very nice and assured us they would change it out to mulch the first port. Three sea days later, (and very messy room and unhappy dogs), we were in Acapulco. When we left port the boxes contained wooden BLOCKS - I think there was a language barrier. The next day we were in PV and the crew went to Walmart and got mulch bark. It worked fine but does retain the order when there were so many dogs on board.

I would like to suggest that Princess puts up a semi permanent dog relief box as more service dogs are going on cruises. The perfect system is a 4x4 box with a tray, then a open weave pad (like the rubber mats in restaurant kitchens) and artificial grass. This would be much cheaper, cleaner, and satisfactory for the crew, owners and dogs. Here are a couple of commercial samples, but they can be constructed for under $50.00.

http://www.poochpotty.com/pooch-potty-large-box/

I know it is difficult to try to please everyone and if you don't have a service dog it is hard to realize exactly what the problems are with the relief box. I am sure the crew would appreciate the improvements too as they were the ones that had to walk through the area where the boxes were located.

Again, we had a wonderful cruise and will be going again soon. I hope you take the suggestions in the spirit it was intended.