Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Oh that Davis is so darn cute!!!! How are you coping with your friends moving? Where is their daughter?

We are going to miss our friends Cindy. But I think they will be back up here quite a bit as her family is all up here. Not sure what their daughter is going to do. She may stay with family for now. They also have a son still living at home. Not sure what he is doing either. They still haven't sold their house up here in NJ.

May did alot of organizing of demos and fundraisers for CCI. We are going to try and take over alot of it. We enjoy doing it and we meet alot of nice people. We're going to take it one step at a time.

Roz I'm so glad you asked your colleague about the working army dogs - I know they're taken good care of here and are very often retired with their handler. Sadly some of them don't come home. My DH bought a book that tells the story of such a dog and his handler and their time in active service - I've yet to read it, I don't think I want to even though they're both safe now, but I just know there will be bits of that book that I do not want to read. It's the same with War Horse - we bought the DVD ages ago, I just can't bring myself to watch it either.

I know exactly what you mean. Before I became a Service Dog handler (2002) I could watch all kinds of shows about dogs, or animals in general, now I can't bear to watch anything that shows animals getting hurt, abused or living in shelters.

Watch War Horse it was one my most favorite movies, so well done! Yes, there are some parts that will make you crazy but it's such a great story.

Hi Aunty Roz

I went to the beach, I went to the beach! .... It was great fun and I jumped into the water right away, what a shock I got, I was soaking wet, I had no idea ...... And yuck it was soo salty! Mum was laughing so much I thought she was going to need to go behind a rock to pee pee!

But I loved the sand and chasing after Poppy, Max kept up too in spite of his sore hip. It was a beautiful sunny day and there were other dogs there too, but Mum had m e on a long, long lead when we got near them - that I've never seen this lead before, but it was good as I was able to say hello but stay close to Mum.

I tried some of that seaweed stuff but didn't really like it too much. Poppy found a smelly old long dead bird - Dad thought it looked like a bird of prey, maybe a buzzard. The sea is so big Aunty Roz, and it was quite cold so I didn't venture back in again, just my paws!

We then went for a nice picnic in the woods and I got a lovely treat for being a good girl and coming back to my whistle. I did Aunty Roz, I did, I ran all along the beach right back to Mum when I heard my whistle - Mum was so pleased with me.

I've heard talk that we might be going back soon, I do hope so as we all had such a great time.

I'm quite big now so we don't all fit in the dog box in Mum's car, so we are taking it in turns to have two of us in there and one in the car - Max gets his own cover on the back seat, which is good for him and his hip, he can lie out.

The beach where we went you have to pay and display - the princely sum of £1 - and we did. Dad said its wrong not to as the Forestry Commission keep the place nice and tidy and accessible for everyone, including a boardwalk for wheelchair users down to the beach. When we got back to the car park, there was a family, in two cars, and they hadn't bought a pay and display and came back to find they had indeed got a ticket alright - a £50 fine, each car! Hard lesson!

Dad has been on holiday this week, so we've had lots of fun with him when he's been working in the garden. He tells us he's got this "list" from Mum that he working on .... he loves pottering about so I don't think much of the "list" is getting done! And of course Poppy has to have her ball thrown for her ALL the time!

Puppy hugs to you all and my doggy pals xxxxx

Love Aruba xxxxxx

Aruba, you're having so much fun. Aren't those long, long leads great. It feels like you're free but when they start reeling you in, you know your safe and nothing or no one can hurt you.

There's something so wonderful about a dog running on the beach. Freedom, glorious freedom!!!

Your Mum and Dad are gems. I hope one day to meet them. ♥

Another beach view - Roz this beach lies on the Moray coast - pronounced "Murray" - I was thinking about your Morey! :). I wonder how his name was pronounced?

This coastline is one that cruisers will see in all it's glory as they sail into Invergorden for a port stop (Inverness visit) if on a British Isles cruise. You can see blocks on the beach - they are the submarine/invasion blockades from World War II, when all of Scotland's beaches had blocks and gun placements on them. The tide was in, so we didn't see the beach in all it's golden glory. You can just about see the DH and the dogs.

DKD, I have opened a photobucket account and uploaded some photos, and then copied the link to post on here, but then it's telling me invalid link. What link should I be using for this site please? :)

Awww! Morey's most favorite place in the whole, wide world was the beach. Any beach, anywhere in the world. He was always drawn to it!!!!♥♥ Brings tears to me!

His name is pronounced "More-e"! The word "more" with a hard "e" on the end.

Thank you for thinking of him. He was a wonderful guy! Truly, a wonderful guy!

When you want to share a picture here from Photobucket try this.

Click on the picture you want to share. Then where is says "share links", click next to the one that says Direct. You should see it flash copied. Then come back here and click on the yellow icon that looks like a postcard of a mountain. Then paste. The photo should then show up here.

Just like this!!

11406a0b-39d5-4ad7-bcc2-8abc36c90551.jpg

Wow! What a handsome pup!!!!

Quam, great news. Im so glad your baby is doing well.

Roz, Quam was saying what i was thinking when i asked about the ptsd dogs. I am worried that we might be putting too many dogs out there as sds. With the abuse that is going on now with all the fake dogs. I feel that any ailment can get a dog now. Know what i mean?

Cindy, I know exactly what you mean. With CCI and the VA as "watch-dogs", I'm hoping there won't be anyone getting through this program who doesn't deserve it.

There will always be the fakes and imposters who will attempt to get through but if their dog or themselves are acting inappropriately, hopefully they'll be stopped by folks just like you, me, Quam and others, not to mention the folks who work with the Orgs.

With all the dogs that are graduating and are being placed, I still don't see them out and about much.

I'm not seeing the imposters in the market or in the public venue like I used to.....hopefully, that's a good sign. Of course, I'm not seeing many Service Dogs either. Maybe if I lived closer to where CCI is located it would be different. I'm always excited when I do see a Seeing Eye Dog, which is more often than a CCI Dog. There is a SED Org. in my area.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm all alone in this Service Dog world, when I'm out and about! :rolleyes:

So, I was very busy yesterday and ya'll decide to come on here and be Chatty Patty's! Pfttt. Well, I got all caught up, so there.

Roz: I just love, love, did I say love Cindyrella! I miss the laugh out louds we use to get going on here.

Quam: So glad you are doing better and pupper too!

Fairbourne: What a great story Ms. Aruba has to share. Love reading all about her adventures. Sounds like she is growing up to be quite a young lady! Although her picture on the beach almost looks like she could be staring off in to space, thinking up something clever to do!

DKD: As usual that Davis boy is so handsome! He is just about all growed up!

Cindy: Good to see you back, even though I hate texting on my phone too! I wanted to say "knew" and it insisted that I wanted to say "knees"! If only.......

♥ to all, hope you all have a great weekend.

acttr?p=YTM4MTA2MDUyNDIdV0I5O%2BIdRhNuv8cQ6lr8DeBgGoNz8dw6IgwCiT2w00GSKIxMtyR%2BhO%2BIL440mlwUnhyVDpvket8rI5aDSSTDGDJyQSWIZWD2hS7nPG9t6X9uV6sjBxAYoNI%2FzauL2s0bQ6QVrbkvCKI4t9f%2BGkLkbpY9Zbws6iIsSo4SofxciQ%3D%3D&m=FP30_%3A_not_top&t=1410532457867

Who doesn't love Cindyrella? And, if they don't, they have us to answer to!!!! :mad:

Good to hear from you.

I have one week to go and I'm on the Crown Princess.......YAY!!!!!

here we go ... is it going to work ..... YES!!! Thanks DKD, it is easy once you know how and some kind man explains it to you! :D

imagejpg3_zpsccaae734.jpg

This is another view of the beach and the Moray Firth.

Right o, now I've got this sussed, more photos to come!:p:D

Great picture. Morey would have loved seeing this. You're getting good at this!

I like this new trick .... LOL!

imagejpg1_zps240b754e.jpg

Hi NancyFancyPants - glad you managed to get all caught up! :D Yes she does look like she's thinking hard, but can you see Max's shadow to her right - I imagine the plotting is something to do with him! :D

Wow! We can really see her now. She is beautiful! Yes, she's thinking very hard about where her brother is going! ;)

Here is "our girl" - she just loves lying with her big boy! She has her retriever worried face on - I don't know why, maybe it's a "where's my TEA look"! Or has dad got some treats in his pockets? (He usually does!)

imagejpg1_zps06a7a945.jpg

So Roz as we count down to our independence referendum, you're counting down to your cruise! I know what I would rather be doing! :rolleyes:

Edited by fairbourne

Here is "our girl" - she just loves lying with her big boy! She has her retriever worried face on - I don't know why, maybe it's a "where's my TEA look"! Or has dad got some treats in his pockets? (He usually does!)

imagejpg1_zps06a7a945.jpg

So Roz as we count down to our independence referendum, you're counting down to your cruise! I know what I would rather be doing! :rolleyes:

Look at those amazingly beautiful dogs. I love their faces. See, not all Black Labs look alike. What a great face! She's gorgeous, with that royal boy behind her!!!!

Oh! Horty, there's an older woman who's a we-bit Scottish and looking for a younger man!!!! ;)

They'd all have such fun together. Aruba has a fine, fine family!!!!! :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz - thank you so much! :). We all hope to meet you one day too, and now that you've seen we do have some sunny days here and you can go around without running for the AC!!

I'm hopping on and off here as I am trying to get supper ready for friends who are about to arrive any minute! :eek:

Did you ever decide on a pal for Horton? I just thought about it as I passed the cats all sprawled out in the evening sun on our bed! Fufffff as Poppy would say!

Our little cat who was so very ill just a few weeks ago is now all back to normal! Thank dawgness.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again DKD for showing me the way! Again! ;):D

Roz - thank you so much! :). We all hope to meet you one day too, and now that you've seen we do have some sunny days here and you can go around without running for the AC!!

I'm hopping on and off here as I am trying to get supper ready for friends who are about to arrive any minute! :eek:

Did you ever decide on a pal for Horton? I just thought about it as I passed the cats all sprawled out in the evening sun on our bed! Fufffff as Poppy would say!

Our little cat who was so very ill just a few weeks ago is now all back to normal! Thank dawgness.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again DKD for showing me the way! Again! ;):D

Now, thank goodness, I'm in the planning mode for an upcoming cruise so the emptiness in my home is taken up with luggage, clothes and my and Horton's "stuff" everywhere for one weeks travel onboard a glorious cruise ship.

I'm sure when I'm home and it seems so empty of laughter and fun as it used to be, I'll be looking for a companion for both Horty and me. Although, Horton fills my life pretty darn much. He's a very demanding boy, I still find that I miss having Brenda around and all the love and smiles that she brought to both of us. ♥ She says with tears in her eyes!

I love having a busy household filled with people and wonderful animals. If I'm going to continue to work then I think my choices are pretty clear as to what I really should be focusing on right now. ;)

I like this new trick .... LOL!

imagejpg1_zps240b754e.jpg

Hi NancyFancyPants - glad you managed to get all caught up! :D Yes she does look like she's thinking hard, but can you see Max's shadow to her right - I imagine the plotting is something to do with him! :D

Aruba is so darn cute. Can't wait to see what my dog will look like.

Dianne

Aruba is so darn cute. Can't wait to see what my dog will look like.

Dianne

Dianne, don't try to picture it too hard! When I was waiting for Brenda all I could picture was a big, Yellow Lab. I NEVER pictured myself with a Black Lab, ever. I didn't like black dogs!

Then, I was invited to Team Training at CCI, Santa Rosa. I worked with a Yellow Lab named Amber, I knew she was MY dog. Then I worked with another Yellow Lab named Galaxie, never mind, I knew she was MY dog. And, lastly, I worked with a little, quirky Black Lab named Brenda......NO WAY, I didn't like her at all. She was so weird and wagged her entire back side when she was wagging her tail......I couldn't wait to put her back in her crate.

Then came the day that they did the "matches", where they matched the dogs with the handlers and the trainer handed me Brenda. WHAT! I didn't want her....and, I made it known. The trainer asked that we all sit down in the training room, she warned us that she was going to "release" all the dogs and we were NOT to touch, talk or have eye contact with any of them, not even if they came over to us!

The dogs started romping and playing and barking and joyfully running around the room......Brenda, that little, quirky, weird Black Lab [pure English Lab], started pushing all the dogs into the center of the room. They ALL submitted to her as she stood over them, counting them with her nose, one by one!

The trainer said to me, "what do you think of that little Black Lab now?" Brenda was the "Alpha" dog and all the other dogs were submitting to her. The trainer, Jo, said, "do you still not want her?"

Wow! I fell in love with her right then and there. She was just like me and the trainers knew it! They're so smart and sensitive to the RIGHT DOG FOR THE RIGHT PERSON!

Trust the trainers, trust their instincts and go with it. Nine times out of ten, they're usually RIGHT ON!

I know the wait is exhausting.......hang in there. It will happen for you. :)

Look at those amazingly beautiful dogs. I love their faces. See, not all Black Labs look alike. What a great face! She's gorgeous, with that royal boy behind her!!!!

Oh! Horty, there's an older woman who's a we-bit Scottish and looking for a younger man!!!! ;)

They'd all have such fun together. Aruba has a fine, fine family!!!!! :)

Roz, I've just re-read this and I'm now wondering if you thought this photo was Poppy? It's Aruba! I know, I know, I get confused too! I have to more often now take a second look when the two black girls are together - it's only Poppy's grey chin that's the give away! (And her more rotund bottom! ha ha just like her Mum! :rolleyes:) But I'm sure Poppy would love Mr H as a toy boy! LOL!

I loved the story about Brenda - .. I thought, yep those trainers got it absolutely spot on - two strong, "in charge girls" together! What a team! I hope our Aruba is matched so sensitively and well - I'm sure she will be. Dianne, we are all waiting with you! :)

We had a tragedy at a Dogs Home in England yesterday - a "can't use the word I want to here" youth set fire to the Dogs Home /rescue shelter and although many of the dogs were rescued, over 60 succumbed to the fire and smoke. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach when I heard this. I would string the little xxxxxx up! :mad:

Dianne, don't try to picture it too hard! When I was waiting for Brenda all I could picture was a big, Yellow Lab. I NEVER pictured myself with a Black Lab, ever. I didn't like black dogs!

Then, I was invited to Team Training at CCI, Santa Rosa. I worked with a Yellow Lab named Amber, I knew she was MY dog. Then I worked with another Yellow Lab named Galaxie, never mind, I knew she was MY dog. And, lastly, I worked with a little, quirky Black Lab named Brenda......NO WAY, I didn't like her at all. She was so weird and wagged her entire back side when she was wagging her tail......I couldn't wait to put her back in her crate.

Then came the day that they did the "matches", where they matched the dogs with the handlers and the trainer handed me Brenda. WHAT! I didn't want her....and, I made it known. The trainer asked that we all sit down in the training room, she warned us that she was going to "release" all the dogs and we were NOT to touch, talk or have eye contact with any of them, not even if they came over to us!

The dogs started romping and playing and barking and joyfully running around the room......Brenda, that little, quirky, weird Black Lab [pure English Lab], started pushing all the dogs into the center of the room. They ALL submitted to her as she stood over them, counting them with her nose, one by one!

The trainer said to me, "what do you think of that little Black Lab now?" Brenda was the "Alpha" dog and all the other dogs were submitting to her. The trainer, Jo, said, "do you still not want her?"

Wow! I fell in love with her right then and there. She was just like me and the trainers knew it! They're so smart and sensitive to the RIGHT DOG FOR THE RIGHT PERSON!

Trust the trainers, trust their instincts and go with it. Nine times out of ten, they're usually RIGHT ON!

I know the wait is exhausting.......hang in there. It will happen for you. :)

That's a great story about your match with Brenda. I am okay with either yellow or black, I am sure that I will love whatever dog I am lucky enough to be matched with.

Roz (or anyone else with a CCI dog), do you know how long in advance that CCI let's you know that you are invited to training?

Roz, I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We are on a transatlantic leaving Rome on November 1 so that's not too far away. This will probably be our last trip to Europe, the long flight is so difficult for me. We will probably be sticking to the west coast and Panama cruises in the future. So maybe someday we will be on a cruise with Roz and Horton.

Dianne

Roz, I've just re-read this and I'm now wondering if you thought this photo was Poppy? It's Aruba! I know, I know, I get confused too! I have to more often now take a second look when the two black girls are together - it's only Poppy's grey chin that's the give away! (And her more rotund bottom! ha ha just like her Mum! :rolleyes:) But I'm sure Poppy would love Mr H as a toy boy! LOL!

I loved the story about Brenda - .. I thought, yep those trainers got it absolutely spot on - two strong, "in charge girls" together! What a team! I hope our Aruba is matched so sensitively and well - I'm sure she will be. Dianne, we are all waiting with you! :)

We had a tragedy at a Dogs Home in England yesterday - a "can't use the word I want to here" youth set fire to the Dogs Home /rescue shelter and although many of the dogs were rescued, over 60 succumbed to the fire and smoke. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach when I heard this. I would string the little xxxxxx up! :mad:

Oh my gosh, what a terrible thing Fairbourne. Who would want to hurt those dogs? I can't understand why someone would do that. That is just so sad, I feel sick too.

Dianne

Roz, that is the BEST story about being matched with Brenda. I would have loved to meet other candidates and see the various finalist dogs. Dogs for the Deaf trainers do the match differently, based on what you write on your (voluminous, multiple) application papers, the input from the home interview, and of course the personalities of the dogs that they get to know so well.

So my first look at Raylene was photos they emailed after the phone call. And then, the big excitement peeking out the window when the trainer's car pulled up in my driveway.

Diane, we are all excited for you, and it is so great you've connected with other CCI teams.

KCAbilityExpo_zps758413d9.jpg

Davis, we went to KC Ability Expo today. CCI had a booth and we got to meet some of your distant cousins. The left side pup is about 9 months old and the right side one is 15 months or so and getting very near to going in for the next step to being a service dog. The puppy raisers we met were so enthusiastic! They had shirts on with a list of each dog they had raised embroidered on the front. One lady's list had 10 names!

DKD, thanks for explaining about photobucket. Hope you can get to my picture of the two pups. They had been in agility training this morning, so both were tired.

Hope all is well with you and your family!

Beckie

Edited by Insuregal
Link to photo did not post.

Oh! Fairbourne, no! How awful. I'm so sorry for those sweet innocent lives. They had to suffer so badly. There's no explaining why someone would want these innocents to have such a horrible death! Makes me very sad! :(

That's a great story about your match with Brenda. I am okay with either yellow or black, I am sure that I will love whatever dog I am lucky enough to be matched with.

Roz (or anyone else with a CCI dog), do you know how long in advance that CCI let's you know that you are invited to training?

Roz, I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We are on a transatlantic leaving Rome on November 1 so that's not too far away. This will probably be our last trip to Europe, the long flight is so difficult for me. We will probably be sticking to the west coast and Panama cruises in the future. So maybe someday we will be on a cruise with Roz and Horton.

Dianne

They only do Team Training at certain times of the year and hold their Graduation ceremonies on Friday's. I had a few months for Brenda and a few weeks for Horton.