Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Thank you so much. You know how there's so much to do before you go away, especially if you travel with a Service Dog......Well, my list of things to buy, things to pack, things to do is getting bigger and bigger! I wonder if this is what happens when you get OLDER!!!???:mad:

Oh! Lord! Help me, I'm packing some of his favorite toys and he's sitting by the bag, "alerting" me to the fact that someone's stuffed one of his favorite stuffies in a bag that he can't reach.....over and over again! He comes to my chair "bops" me on my knee and walks to the bag and sits down.....Good boy, but not now!!!!! :rolleyes: What a character! :p[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hope you and Horton have a wonderful cruise Roz.

Dianne

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Thank you, Horton and I are going to have a relaxing cruise.

Roz and Horton have a good cruise and have fun. Bon Voyage

Fairbourne, hope it's spelled right. I think you live in Scotland. If you do I hope you are pleased with the result of your election. I very much enjoy your stories and journeys with Aruba. Susan

[quote name='frecgenswl82'][quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Thank you, Horton and I are going to have a relaxing cruise.

Roz and Horton have a good cruise and have fun. Bon Voyage

Fairbourne, hope it's spelled right. I think you live in Scotland. If you do I hope you are pleased with the result of your election. I very much enjoy your stories and journeys with Aruba. Susan[/QUOTE]

Hello Susan, yes we do live in Scotland. Yes very pleased - we are proud to be Scottish, and delighted to be United! We have had an unprecedented turn out for the voting in the referendum - and we are lucky that we live in such a democratic country where we can make our choice without any fears. Aruba went twice to the polling place - once with us and earlier in the day at a different one with her Aunty Cuddles who had her for a sleepover the night before.

Our journey with Aruba is lovely and I'm glad you enjoy her tails! :D.

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Nancy, Cindy, Susan & Dianne, thank you for all the wonderful good wishes. I can't wait to get on that ship. [/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Indigo"]The weather is absolutely gorgeous now. The heat is gone, the sky is blue and there's a cool breeze. It looks like the entire week is going to be nice. It's going to make for a really fun cruise![/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I have to tell you guys what happened to Horty and me when we entered a crowded elevator inside a church.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I've got to get to bed because I have to get up at 6:00am to get going tomorrow morning.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Take care and I'll talk to you all next week. :)[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Caribbean Chris']Just in case you check in ths morning before you sail: Bon Voyage!!! from Hearing Dog Raylene and me![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]Thanks Chris, I'm on board the beautiful Crown Princess and I have to go get dressed for dinner.

We had a really easy time boarding. My family did the Bon Voyage Experience with me and there are two other dogs on board with us.

We're out to sea on our way to San Francisco.......the weather is cool, breezy and lovely!!!

Miss you all!

Love,
Roz & Horton[/B][/COLOR]

Roz, will be interested in how it works out with three dogs on board. Does the crew clean the box more often (replace mulch chips I mean)? Is the box location OK for you?

Raylene over-reacts to other dogs initially, wanting to greet them, so I'm working with a trainer on that.

I am already worried about the long walk first thing in the morning to wherever the box will be, and wondering about feasibility of bringing some kind of puppy pads for the verandah that could be used and thrown out in garbage bags I bring along daily. Has anyone ever done this?

The rest of the day should be no problem. Edited by Caribbean Chris

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Purple"][B]Thanks Chris, I'm on board the beautiful Crown Princess and I have to go get dressed for dinner.

We had a really easy time boarding. My family did the Bon Voyage Experience with me and there are two other dogs on board with us.

We're out to sea on our way to San Francisco.......the weather is cool, breezy and lovely!!!

Miss you all!

Love,
Roz & Horton[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'm jelly, jelly, jealous! Sea breezes in your hair ... I can imagine you both standing at the rail on deck enjoying this so much ..... Wish we were there with you .... Bet you're glad we're not! Ha ha ha! Seriously Roz and Horton, have a wonderful cruise and have fun, fun, fun! :D

Hi everyone

Quiet week here too. Well apart from having roof work done - why is it that workmen arrive and the first thing they do is turn their radio on at full blast! Thankfully the portable disco has now gone, drives me nuts!

Aruba is doing really well and at 7 months old now is fattening out to be a beautiful girl. Still slim, so don't worry,no over feeding! We went to visit someone in hospital and she came and was so well behaved, you would not have known she was there. She was mistaken for a therapy pet and certainly behaved like one, allowing lots of pats and "hellos". I still can't get her to jump into my car, but we've got a routine now where I lift her front legs up onto the bumper and she seems to know I'm going to lift her bum up, so she "helps" me by lifting her back legs up a bit, so we're working on it! Jumping out, no problem, unless she's a bit sleepy.

I always judge autumn and the winter approaching when the swallows leave. Well they've been lining up on the wires for weeks now and today I was out in the garden and the sky was quite empty of them. So these tiny birds have gone again on their 6000 mile journey to South Africa. Amazing creatures and I wished them safe travels and see them again next spring! Pity the midges that they come here to eat are still plentiful!

Hope our Queen Roz is enjoying her time away and maybe Horton made friends with the other two dogs on board. :)

Hi Fairborne!
Have you noticed if Aruba has a problem with how wide open the car door is when you ask her to get in? Gibson has a touch of claustrophobia, so if we are standing too close or the door is not wide open and including nothing obstructing his path inside the car he won't jump in. He is a hefty chunk of Lab to lift into any car. So just wondered about Aruba in that regard.
Our barn swallows seem to have disappeared as well. Still have the hummingbirds darting around, not sure if they travel faster and don't need to leave so soon.
Missing Roz from here too.
Thanks!
Beckie

Hi Fairborne!
Have you noticed if Aruba has a problem with how wide open the car door is when you ask her to get in? Gibson has a touch of claustrophobia, so if we are standing too close or the door is not wide open and including nothing obstructing his path inside the car he won't jump in. He is a hefty chunk of Lab to lift into any car. So just wondered about Aruba in that regard.
Our barn swallows seem to have disappeared as well. Still have the hummingbirds darting around, not sure if they travel faster and don't need to leave so soon.
Missing Roz from here too.
Thanks!
Beckie

Hi Beckie

I have a dog crate in the boot (trunk) of my car which is quite a jump up as its a 4x4 vehicle. We've had it since we've had dogs and the two big dogs are quite used to it - max needs a help up due to his hip but funnily enough he manages just fine when he's collected from the kennels! ;):). I've thought about a ramp but then nowhere to store it in the car! He's a bit of a hefty boy too!

The crate doesn't take all 3, so when we take the 3 out, we used to have Aruba in the front passenger footwell, but she's a bit big for that now! So we have bought one of the dog seat covers and harnesses for the big boy on the back seat (so much for no dog hair in the car!) but he's not sure of this as the door doesnt really open far enough for him to climb in onto the footwell and jumping up onto the seat is just as bad as jumping into the crate! I hadn't thought he might find it claustrophobic.

I do wonder if Aruba is unsure of the crate as it's quite dark and she can't work out the space she's jumping into?

It's a work in progress!

Poppy - she flies up into the crate effortlessly! But she's a tough old bird, bit like someone we know dearly ...... Thankfully she's on a ship, or I'd be getting such a virtual slap! LOL!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]We have a Toyota 4-Runner and our first doberman could leap in and out with no problem... until my DH had it lifted. It's 4-7 inches taller than it was. :eek: The dogs now just put their front legs on the truck and then turn and look at us to lift their "bum." We have to lift them out most of the time. [B][I]I [/I][/B]even have a hard time getting in the dumb thing but DH refuses to lift [I]my [/I]bum into the truck! :eek::D (He did build a step for me but it's still very high!)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='dobiemom'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]We have a Toyota 4-Runner and our first doberman could leap in and out with no problem... until my DH had it lifted. It's 4-7 inches taller than it was. :eek: The dogs now just put their front legs on the truck and then turn and look at us to lift their "bum." We have to lift them out most of the time. [B][I]I [/I][/B]even have a hard time getting in the dumb thing but DH refuses to lift [I]my [/I]bum into the truck! :eek::D (He did build a step for me but it's still very high!)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

LOL that's very funny Dobiemom! The dreaded "granny step" - I'm sure it will come to us all! ;):D Thankfully my DH's 4x4 has the suspension lowering down fancy thing, so it makes it easier to get in - I just slide out! LOL!

I even considered, at one point, changing my 4x4 for an estate which would be much lower for the dogs to get into - then I came to my senses! :eek:

Good Morning,

My service dog, Jules, is having a hard time going on mulch. I'll be going on Princess Caribbean on November 1st, and he is trained to go on command. However, he is being stubborn about going on Earthgro Mulch. It was the kind I bought, thinking that it would be the same.

Is there a special type of mulch that Princess uses? Also I'm curious to how big y'alls dogs are? Jules is 70 lbs and trying to get him to go into a box is very difficult as well. We have not been very successful. I know we have a little over a month to go, but I'm really at my wits end.

Does Princess accommodate for a different type of material to be used on board? Such as sod?

Thanks,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah and Jules

[quote name='Sarachan74']Good Morning,

My service dog, Jules, is having a hard time going on mulch. I'll be going on Princess Caribbean on November 1st, and he is trained to go on command. However, he is being stubborn about going on Earthgro Mulch. It was the kind I bought, thinking that it would be the same.

Is there a special type of mulch that Princess uses? Also I'm curious to how big y'alls dogs are? Jules is 70 lbs and trying to get him to go into a box is very difficult as well. We have not been very successful. I know we have a little over a month to go, but I'm really at my wits end.

Does Princess accommodate for a different type of material to be used on board? Such as sod?

Thanks,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah and Jules[/QUOTE]

Good morning Sarah and Jules and a very big welcome to our lovely doggy group. :)

I'm afraid I am of no use what so ever in answering your questions ;):), but Her Majesty, our very own Roz, and her boydog Horton are currently on the Crown Princess and are back very soon. So I am extremely confident she will give you the best and most knowledgeable advice from her recent first hand Princess experience.

I'm equally sure one or two of our other experienced cruisers will be along to put your mind at rest also.

I just wanted to say "hello".:)

We have a tradition around here of loving to see photos of our dogs, so if you have any and can work out how to post a photo of Jules, I for one, would love to see him!

btw Anyone watching the Ryder Cup Golf in Scotland on the TV? Gleneagles Hotel is a favourite hotel bolthole around 3 hours from where we live and it just looks stunning today and the sun is shining! The last time we were there earlier this year I told them we were due to have a Guide Dog Puppy and they said they would be very happy for us to bring her (they have a no dogs policy in bedrooms in the hotel but do have kennels in the grounds if you want to bring your non-service dog with you and they can have a sleep-over there). Edited by fairbourne

Thanks! Here is a picture of Jules at our graduation the past May 2014. We both graduated from college with a bachelors in Social Work. We are currently working on our Masters in Science Social Work at college with a school of social work specialization.

I got him from Guide Dogs for the Blind. He was a thanksgiving day present, I received him, November 23. He is my mellow yellow fellow.

Sarah and Jules

Caption of Picture: Jules is wearing a graduate cap and gown with a black/silver tie. He is looking at the camera. Edited by Sarachan74
caption for picture

[quote name='Sarachan74']Thanks! Here is a picture of Jules at our graduation the past May 2014. We both graduated from college with a bachelors in Social Work. We are currently working on our Masters in Science Social Work at college with a school of social work specialization.

I got him from Guide Dogs for the Blind. He was a thanksgiving day present, I received him, November 23. He is my mellow yellow fellow.

Sarah and Jules

Caption of Picture: Jules is wearing a graduate cap and gown with a black/silver tie. He is looking at the camera.[/QUOTE]

Sarah, your mellow yellow fellow is gorgeous - what a face, I just love these labs. Thank you for sharing this photo. :D

[quote name='fairbourne']

I even considered, at one point, changing my 4x4 for an estate which would be much lower for the dogs to get into - then I came to my senses! :eek:[/quote][COLOR=SeaGreen]Not so funny, there, Missy! I went and test drive mini-vans before Reno went to the Rainbow Bridge! He did not like anyone touching his "bum". If his front feet were up on the seat and you reached down and touched his "bum" to pick him up, his front feet would come off the seat and on to the ground. It was like a Laurel and Hardy skit! So, we bought a ramp. Getting out was no problem for him. [/COLOR]

[quote name='fairbourne']

I do wonder if Aruba is unsure of the crate as it's quite dark and she can't work out the space she's jumping into? [COLOR=SeaGreen]That could be. I would try a flash light and see if that helps her.[/COLOR]

Poppy - she flies up into the crate effortlessly! But she's a tough old bird, bit like someone we know dearly ...... Thankfully she's on a ship, or I'd be getting such a virtual slap! LOL![/quote][COLOR=Red]Oooooo, Fairbourne is gonna get a slappy! You are in big trouble, Missy! BOL. A-Rooooooo.[/COLOR] Edited by S.S. Cruisers
spelling

[quote name='S.S. Cruisers'][COLOR=SeaGreen]Not so funny, there, Missy! I went and test drive mini-vans before Reno went to the Rainbow Bridge! He did not like anyone touching his "bum". If his front feet were up on the seat and you reached down and touched his "bum" to pick him up, his front feet would come off the seat and on to the ground. It was like a Laurel and Hardy skit! So, we bought a ramp. Getting out was no problem for him. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]Oooooo, Fairbourne is gonna get a slappy! You are in big trouble, Missy! BOL. A-Rooooooo.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

It could have, maybe, possibly, tiny little chance, but probably not barking likely gone un-noticed until Yoooooo started shouting A-Roooooooo! In RED tooooo! BOL! :p:D