Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Happy Weekend EVERYONE!

I'm sure you've all heard about the Emerald Princess, Alaska cruise that had a murder on it recently. OMG! My family and friends are driving me nuts. That's the ship and destination that we're taking in April, 2018 with 4 family members and 2 friends.

They're so concerned about it. The incident happened on Dolphin Deck and we're all on 5 decks above [on the same side], on Riviera Deck, Deck 14. They all want to make sure that they're not on the same deck or in the same cabins....we're no where near it!

A husband smashed in his wife's skull [with a ladder] and killed her in front of their three daughters. Then he tried to drag her onto their veranda and throw her overboard. He was stopped by someone who heard the commotion and he then tried to jump overboard and was stopped by someone else. OMG! It is a bit disturbing but it doesn't effect me, except to make me feel sorry for their children and the poor dead 46 year old woman!

Now everyone's calling me because they think the ship is cursed or something. I hope everyone stays away, it makes for more room for me and Horton!!!! You know by April this will be forgotten and the crowds will gather anyway! ;p

I know I've been bad by not showing recent pictures of Gretel. Here ya go.

Yard.jpg

Close-Up.jpg

So many things to comment on:

First: Gretel, you are such a dear girl, with those soulful eyes. You look just like the female version of my Horty. I call those eyes "monkey eyes", I'm in love with gorilla's and next to CCI, The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund is my favorite animal funds to give to.

Second: That garden........I want to play in that garden.

Thanks for sharing all of it with us!

I've been meaning to reply, Roz. Yes, there definitely are times you "do what you gotta do!" We were on a tour in Homer, Alaska where there are no tour buses, so they use school buses made for small people. Raylene and I got on, and there was no way she had a space to fit on the floor beneath the little vinyl-covered bench seat. So she jumped up on curled up next to me. Not ideal, but no real alternative that day.

Same when we were in Homer last month. I asked the driver if Trooper could sit on a bench seat beside me and she said sure, that small children were far messier and not to worry about mud on his paws.

Hello. Are there any cruise lines that call at U.S. ports that DO NOT allow service dogs?
If they call in a US port, they will be required to allow them on those sailings under the ADA. If they never hit the US, the ADA does not apply

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hello. Are there any cruise lines that call at U.S. ports that DO NOT allow service dogs?

To my knowledge there are no cruise lines that do not accept Service Dogs. Some require more documentation than others but for the most part, all are welcoming of our SD's.

Even if you are boarding a cruise ship in a foreign port, the ship will require the proper documentation and will allow your SD to board. They could refuse but they usually do not. An inquire to their Special Needs Dept. will clarify it all for you.

Thanks. I know what the law is, but I'm wondering if some cruise lines try to evade it.

I've been cruising with a Service Dog since 2005 on every major market cruise line and with two different dogs and I've NEVER been refused entrance. Some of my fellow passengers have made it difficult for me and my dogs but for the most part the cruise lines have been pretty remarkable at trying to please.

I've had a few waiters/Matre'd's and kitchen staff who have tried to stop me from entering either the dining room or the buffet area.......I just stand my ground and tell them it's okay, that if I could get on the ship, I could go into their dining area! This doesn't happen often but when it does it can be pretty off-putting!

Keeping a good attitude and always making sure that our dogs are acting their best is the solution!

It's becoming more and more easy for us who travel with our dogs.

I asked partly because I'm compiling the official service dog policies for all the cruise lines that stop in the U.S. Some of the policies (Cunard's, for example) go on and on for pages and pages. Some don't. Here's Regent Seven Seas': "We do not have an official written policy as we comply with all applicable state and/or Federal laws." Well, yeah, but . . .

I asked partly because I'm compiling the official service dog policies for all the cruise lines that stop in the U.S. Some of the policies (Cunard's, for example) go on and on for pages and pages. Some don't. Here's Regent Seven Seas': "We do not have an official written policy as we comply with all applicable state and/or Federal laws." Well, yeah, but . . .

Quite honestly, the cruise lines don't want bad press. They know that Cruise Critic carries weight amongst the buying public. Would I share with all of you something negative that happened aboard a cruise, you bet!

The general public may not have a Service Dog but they sure wouldn't want to hear about a cruise line that treated a dog badly! Most folks like their dogs way more than the humans in their lives!

I must tell you, how you and your dog are treated from the moment you enter the ship until you leave depends a lot on YOU!

You learn to treat all of the folks who you will depend on for help with great respect. I always bring extra dollars along to share with the housekeeping staff who go out of their way to make me and my dog comfortable. I tip the dining staff who show concern and care for me and Horton as we look for the perfect table, and the staff who help me to find that seat in the lounge or theatre. The bar staff who greet Horton and I with a big smile and come over to talk to him and assist me. Some folks will not accept the offer of a tip but they sure appreciate the thought. The photographer who goes out of his way to take a picture of Horton, whether it be on embarkation, formal night or just him wearing a special scarf, I spend hundreds on these pictures and show them off at home and at work.

I appreciate all of them and can easily overlook the very few who could care less!

It's one of the reasons I love cruising so much, it's not a tedious job to travel with my SD onboard a cruise ship.

My experience has been much the same on my two cruises with HAL with Trooper, but the reason for asking for policies is that a first-time cruiser on a particular line would want to know as much as possible what to expect. While most policies are much the same, there are subtle differences in emphasis of certain requirements. The willingness and thoroughness of the cruise lines' responses to such queries may be important.

I should have introduced myself first. Trooper, my little black schnoodle from Dogs for the Deaf, and I live in a Chicago suburb. We have traveled hither and yon by airplane, train, cruise ship and automobile. We've taken two HAL cruises, one a one-weaker to the Caribbean and the other a two-weeker to Alaska. Both went well, and we are eagerly looking forward to a two-week Panama Canal cruise on HAL next April. Our trips have not been without incident but nothing terrible has happened. We found the HAL people friendly and understanding.

Edited by HenryKisor
Mizpeling

I should have introduced myself first. Trooper, my little black schnoodle from Dogs for the Deaf, and I live in a Chicago suburb. We have traveled hither and yon by airplane, train, cruise ship and automobile. We've taken two HAL cruises, one a one-weaker to the Caribbean and the other a two-weeker to Alaska. Both went well, and we are eagerly looking forward to a two-week Panama Canal cruise on HAL next April. Our trips have not been without incident but nothing terrible has happened. We found the HAL people friendly and understanding.

Thank you for the introduction and welcome to our wonderful group.

I, too, found HAL to be very friendly towards my dogs. Our very first cruise with Brenda was onboard the Celebrity Summit for two weeks. It was a wonderful cruise and we really had no marked glitches. Celebrity even offered to have someone walk her for me, which is something we have never been offered on any other line. They did NOT put her potty box on our patio but then I didn't know in 2005 what I know now!

I am not sure how to start a new subject so will just tack this on to the most recent message.

On our HAL cruises a number of passengers attempted to pet Trooper without our permission or made kissing noises and the like when we walked by. This was annoying. I wondered if it might be a good idea to come up with a little message to ask the hotel manager to broadcast on the ship's PA system at the beginning of the cruise and again later on if such a problem continued. Such as:

"There are service dogs aboard ship. They are working dogs and should be left alone to do their jobs. Even talking to the dogs might distract them from their work. If you would like to meet them, please ask their handlers first."

What think, everyone?

I am not sure how to start a new subject so will just tack this on to the most recent message.

On our HAL cruises a number of passengers attempted to pet Trooper without our permission or made kissing noises and the like when we walked by. This was annoying. I wondered if it might be a good idea to come up with a little message to ask the hotel manager to broadcast on the ship's PA system at the beginning of the cruise and again later on if such a problem continued. Such as:

"There are service dogs aboard ship. They are working dogs and should be left alone to do their jobs. Even talking to the dogs might distract them from their work. If you would like to meet them, please ask their handlers first."

What think, everyone?

This has been brought up before. I, frankly, think that the public would balk at the announcement because some folks are really missing their own dogs so much and really don't see what the use a "Hearing Dog" is. They think that their dogs could do exactly the same thing, so therefore they should be allowed to bring their dog onboard.

Then they realize how ill-behaved their dogs are compared to our well-trained, well-mannered SD's and they come to their senses.

Honestly, I have more trouble with the crew making noises and distracting my dogs than the passengers. The Cruise Director or Captain should have a talk with the crew and explain that the SD should not be whistled at or approached unless given permission by the handler.

Onboard one of our cruises, many years ago, I don't remember which one, an announcement went out in the daily paper about the fact that there was a Service Dog onboard and to please not distract or pet the dog unless you are given permission. If I recall this worked pretty well.

I didn't request this announcement in the paper, it was done by the Cruise Director. I suppose one could approach the CD and request such an announcement be placed in the daily paper.

I really don't want to be treated differently than anyone else. Except, I do expect that my dog be treated with respect.

On our HAL cruises a number of passengers attempted to pet Trooper without our permission or made kissing noises and the like when we walked by. This was annoying.

This is a tough one - so many people want to stop us and talk and pet my service dog Henri because they desperately miss their dogs at home. I always make a point of thanking people for asking first - at least those people will know to ask first in the future and I am educating one person at a time.

I have had a few people that just pet her without asking and in that case I just keep going and don't allow them anytime with her. So many people have told us how much they enjoyed having a dog on the ship - I told them be sure and tell the cruise line that they appreciated the service dog on their cruise. It is probably a little easier for me because I can see and hear people coming so I know if Henri is going to be distracted. She is definitely a lot more distracted by dogs than people!

Dianne

Thanks, Roz and Dianne. I had not considered the psychological effects of such a PA announcement on "civilian" dog lovers.

All the same, the problem remains, and it is, I think, especially acute for handlers of small service dogs, especially those who (like Trooper) are extraordinarily cute. There's something authoritative about big dogs like Labs that ameliorate the situation. They LOOK like the classic stereotype of a service dog..

Roz, your idea of the ship's daily newspaper may be the best answer. HAL publishes a daily reader with details about activities on the ship that day. Possibly a hotel manager would have to get the OK from corporate superiors before straying from policy. I think I'll explore this with HAL management and see what they have to say.

Edited by HenryKisor
Misspelling

Quite honestly, the cruise lines don't want bad press. They know that Cruise Critic carries weight amongst the buying public. Would I share with all of you something negative that happened aboard a cruise, you bet!

The general public may not have a Service Dog but they sure wouldn't want to hear about a cruise line that treated a dog badly! Most folks like their dogs way more than the humans in their lives!

I must tell you, how you and your dog are treated from the moment you enter the ship until you leave depends a lot on YOU!

You learn to treat all of the folks who you will depend on for help with great respect. I always bring extra dollars along to share with the housekeeping staff who go out of their way to make me and my dog comfortable. I tip the dining staff who show concern and care for me and Horton as we look for the perfect table, and the staff who help me to find that seat in the lounge or theatre. The bar staff who greet Horton and I with a big smile and come over to talk to him and assist me. Some folks will not accept the offer of a tip but they sure appreciate the thought. The photographer who goes out of his way to take a picture of Horton, whether it be on embarkation, formal night or just him wearing a special scarf, I spend hundreds on these pictures and show them off at home and at work.

I appreciate all of them and can easily overlook the very few who could care less!

It's one of the reasons I love cruising so much, it's not a tedious job to travel with my SD onboard a cruise ship.

HI Roz and Horty, it has been a long time. Hope both of you are well. I'm good and think of you both often.

HI Roz and Horty, it has been a long time. Hope both of you are well. I'm good and think of you both often.

Trudy, the beautiful portrait of Brenny that you sent me sits on the bar in my dining room and is a constant reminder of your loveliness.

I've missed hearing from you and am so glad that your good. Stay well and please don't be a stranger for so long.

Now, we need to hear from FAIRBOURNE - Where are you?

Thanks, Roz and Dianne. I had not considered the psychological effects of such a PA announcement on "civilian" dog lovers.

All the same, the problem remains, and it is, I think, especially acute for handlers of small service dogs, especially those who (like Trooper) are extraordinarily cute. There's something authoritative about big dogs like Labs that ameliorate the situation. They LOOK like the classic stereotype of a service dog..

Roz, your idea of the ship's daily newspaper may be the best answer. HAL publishes a daily reader with details about activities on the ship that day. Possibly a hotel manager would have to get the OK from corporate superiors before straying from policy. I think I'll explore this with HAL management and see what they have to say.

The Cruise Director is the best person to contact onboard a cruise about putting something into the daily paper. It's what I did and the "blurb" was perfect. We even scheduled a "Meet & Pet" in one of the lounges for folks who wanted to know more about Service Dogs and wanted to throw a ball and play with Brenda.

Thanks, Roz, I'll try the cruise director or hotel manager or whatever HAL calls it. By the way, you are right about the crew. Some of them were a little too friendly toward Trooper on those two HAL cruises. (Except for my cabin attendants on the last one—they were TERRIFIED of the little 17-pound schnoodle!) There was one episode in the dining room when the wine steward leaned over and spoke to Trooper, who was sleeping, and he was startled into a defensive bark. We explained to the dining room boss what had happened and he informed the dining room staff of proper service dog etiquette. No more problems there. One maitre 'd found the perfect place for us in the dining room—a two-person table right next to a waiter station, which had a large overhang under which Trooper could shelter from the madding crowd. We had no complaints.

Thanks, Roz, I'll try the cruise director or hotel manager or whatever HAL calls it. By the way, you are right about the crew. Some of them were a little too friendly toward Trooper on those two HAL cruises. (Except for my cabin attendants on the last one—they were TERRIFIED of the little 17-pound schnoodle!) There was one episode in the dining room when the wine steward leaned over and spoke to Trooper, who was sleeping, and he was startled into a defensive bark. We explained to the dining room boss what had happened and he informed the dining room staff of proper service dog etiquette. No more problems there. One maitre 'd found the perfect place for us in the dining room—a two-person table right next to a waiter station, which had a large overhang under which Trooper could shelter from the madding crowd. We had no complaints.

The crew have not seen their pets for many, many months and some even shed a tear when they see my dog. I totally understand. And, then there's the crew who are absolutely terrified of my dog, as you so aptly stated. Horton is 90lb, has a huge head, is pure black and if you didn't know what he's trained to do, he can look frightening. Then there's the folks who through their country of origin have been taught that the black dog is "evil!" In their country all black dogs are killed, shortly after they're born. You can't believe their reaction when they see me coming with this huge, black monster!!!! I've had shrieks of horror come from them and Horton and I can't move fast or far enough away!

Horton is trained to NEVER bark unless I command him to.