Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thank you! My contact at the access desk did get back to me and said all I need is the USDA form (the ship requires form 7001, even though Canada does not) and the shot records. So we are good to go. He did say that having the relief box moved to our balcony would be determined by the ship's crew, they would not set that up ahead of time. So we will need to request it from our contact once we are on board.

Thank you to everyone here for posting your stories and advice. It has lessened my anxiety about this first time experience quite a lot. I hope Hunter enjoys cruising as much as I do. :D

Val, with Hunter

Val, Hunter will respond to cruising as you want him to.

Stay positive, keep a good attitude and give yourself lots of time to get from one place to another. Remember; he's watching you and your reactions and positive attitude will travel right down his leash and will become the perfect partner wherever you go with him.

Bon~Voyage - Have a wonderful cruise and congratulations on being able to travel with your Service Dog. Please come back and tell us all about your adventures with Hunter.

Anyone in the Atlanta area? Or can be? Or knows someone that is? This came across my feeds. I think it would be PERFECT if a SD was the dog in the scene!

The latest Marvel star could be your dog. And by star, we mean a brief appearance you might miss if you blink in the upcoming movie The Avengers: Infinity War. But still, your dog. In a movie!

If you’re ready for a road trip and think your pooch has star potential, check out these details from ProjectCasting.com:

• Looking for male or female over 18 to walk with their dog in a park scene
  • Medium sized dogs (40 - 60 pounds) must be well-trained and comfortable around other dogs and people
  • Dogs must be up-to-date on vaccinations (you'll have to provide records to prove it)
  • Fitting required for walker on Friday 8/18 in Fayetteville
  • The filming will be in Atlanta, Georgia on Tuesday 8/22 in Atlanta. You must be available all day.
  • Pay rate is $68/8 +$25

If you think you and your dog can make the cut, you need to send an email including your name, phone number, size, and photos of yourself. You also need to include two photos of your dog, along with weight and breed information. Put "Dog" in the subject line of your email and send it to MaryLou@CentralCasting.com. Good luck!

Infinity War is the latest movie in the Avengers franchise filmed in Atlanta. It's set to hit movie theaters on May 4, 2018.

Thank you to everyone here for posting your stories and advice. It has lessened my anxiety about this first time experience quite a lot. I hope Hunter enjoys cruising as much as I do. :D

Val, with Hunter

Have a great time on your cruise - let us know how it went when you get back.

Dianne

Anyone in the Atlanta area? Or can be? Or knows someone that is? This came across my feeds. I think it would be PERFECT if a SD was the dog in the scene!

The latest Marvel star could be your dog. And by star, we mean a brief appearance you might miss if you blink in the upcoming movie The Avengers: Infinity War. But still, your dog. In a movie!

If you’re ready for a road trip and think your pooch has star potential, check out these details from ProjectCasting.com:

• Looking for male or female over 18 to walk with their dog in a park scene
  • Medium sized dogs (40 - 60 pounds) must be well-trained and comfortable around other dogs and people
  • Dogs must be up-to-date on vaccinations (you'll have to provide records to prove it)
  • Fitting required for walker on Friday 8/18 in Fayetteville
  • The filming will be in Atlanta, Georgia on Tuesday 8/22 in Atlanta. You must be available all day.
  • Pay rate is $68/8 +$25

If you think you and your dog can make the cut, you need to send an email including your name, phone number, size, and photos of yourself. You also need to include two photos of your dog, along with weight and breed information. Put "Dog" in the subject line of your email and send it to MaryLou@CentralCasting.com. Good luck!

Infinity War is the latest movie in the Avengers franchise filmed in Atlanta. It's set to hit movie theaters on May 4, 2018.

I'm afraid Horton is not a "medium", he's a "large!"

I'm afraid Horton is not a "medium", he's a "large!"
Roz, we know Horton is a big boy, but not everyone has such a super -sized helper. :)

Besides, maybe they would make an exception for a SD pulling a WC for someone. It would be good publicity.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Roz, we know Horton is a big boy, but not everyone has such a super -sized helper. :)

Besides, maybe they would make an exception for a SD pulling a WC for someone. It would be good publicity.

Barb, I agree with you. If only Atlanta were a hop-skip-and a jump away from L.A. ! ;p

Glad I came here today! Was going to look if there were any info on NCL and service dogs. So far I've only done Disney, and have the upcoming service dog cruise on Carnival. Was sort of looking around and NCL has some good offerings.

Do have a question though - Cuba. NCL has a cruise that spends a whole day there. Have any of you looked into what Cuba requires?

Holly

I thought I was reading that service dogs could not get off in port? Usually I don't care about ports as I've been to most of them. But Cuba - well I'd like to see what I could see if I did a Cuban cruise.

If that is, in-fact, true than I totally understand. This would be one of those instances when you could leave your SD with someone onboard and you could take turns visiting the port.

I, personally, do NOT like to be separated from my SD so it's unlikely that I would go without him and there are people who's life would be in jeopardy without their dog, that's a whole other story.

If I recall, when I saw a documentary about Cuba there were lots of loose strays. Maybe not such a good idea to bring an SD on land.

IF I went (and that is a very big IF) I'd probably ask the service dog ranch or friend to take him. I hate to go anywhere without him, and I am just daydreaming about this at the moment. I tend to cruise only places it's easiest to take him with paperwork. But I am thinking this would be one of those bucket list things.

There are a few places I need to go that I cannot take Scooter. Working on campus, I sometimes need to go into a lab where it may not be safe to take him. As in, I need to wear a clean suit and breathing protection. Luckily, I live one block from campus and can take hime home between meetings and give him a good chewy to play with while I'm gone.

I also have one person I sometimes have to work with that is VERY allergic to dogs. As in call 911 and get out the epiPen allergic. I have managed to get someone else to work with that person, but at our conference I have to make sure to attend other speakers.

There are a few places I need to go that I cannot take Scooter. Working on campus, I sometimes need to go into a lab where it may not be safe to take him. As in, I need to wear a clean suit and breathing protection. Luckily, I live one block from campus and can take hime home between meetings and give him a good chewy to play with while I'm gone.

I also have one person I sometimes have to work with that is VERY allergic to dogs. As in call 911 and get out the epiPen allergic. I have managed to get someone else to work with that person, but at our conference I have to make sure to attend other speakers.

We do have to be creative when we work in the world with other humans.

I used to be very, very careful about Horton's placement when I was in meetings, as to not bother those around me, which meant that I'd be sitting in the furthest from the speaker seat, or the seat that was away from the crowd, or I'd be so, so careful not to get near certain people who I knew didn't like my dog........Now, 14 years into walking with an SD and I arrive early to the meeting, find a good seat and let "them" worry about where they will sit around me and my dog!

Roz, that is great advice, get there early and let the others find appropriate places. We have Freshman (college) new student orientation tomorrow. Large college. And the first time I will be in a wheelchair in a big crowd with Halo. I am nervous to say the least; lots of new things - only child going off to college, first time in public in wheelchair, first time in public, large meeting with Halo and me in WC.

Holly we did the first Carnival cruise to Cuba two months ago. The whole reason of going to Cuba is to see Cuba. The little research I did, SD's are not allowed in the port. I saw some strays, but not many, most unleashed dogs had a people, but I don't know what they would do if they saw another dog. I have mobility issues and wheelchairs don't work. I can walk, but it is VERY slow and I have to stop and rest every two blocks. I knew if I didn't do it now, I couldn't in the future. Based on the political atmosphere and depending on your SD needs, if you can go without your SD for a week, I would highly recommend it. The only regret I have, and it is out of my control, is that I can do as much as I wanted.

Linda and Halo

Roz, that is great advice, get there early and let the others find appropriate places. We have Freshman (college) new student orientation tomorrow. Large college. And the first time I will be in a wheelchair in a big crowd with Halo. I am nervous to say the least; lots of new things - only child going off to college, first time in public in wheelchair, first time in public, large meeting with Halo and me in WC.

Holly we did the first Carnival cruise to Cuba two months ago. The whole reason of going to Cuba is to see Cuba. The little research I did, SD's are not allowed in the port. I saw some strays, but not many, most unleashed dogs had a people, but I don't know what they would do if they saw another dog. I have mobility issues and wheelchairs don't work. I can walk, but it is VERY slow and I have to stop and rest every two blocks. I knew if I didn't do it now, I couldn't in the future. Based on the political atmosphere and depending on your SD needs, if you can go without your SD for a week, I would highly recommend it. The only regret I have, and it is out of my control, is that I can do as much as I wanted.

Linda and Halo

Linda, first, congratulations on your child going to college. This truly is a milestone in your life. You and Halo will get a lot of attention. Be prepared to answer questions and do allow time when Halo is NOT working, for people to touch him. The public is so curious about Service Dogs and how well behaved and trained they are. The questions may border on personal so be ready to answer in any way that feels most comfortable for you.

I NEVER tell strangers too much until I know them better. Cruising is a perfect example of how we get to know them better: We're together for at least a week, we'll run into each other again and again and may even sit somewhere where they can touch Horton and ask their good questions.

Every time we go into the public venue we are representing each other.

The more Halo is exposed to these types of situations, filled with lots of hands and feet, the more at ease he will become. It will soon turn into a dance for both of you. Be careful of those feet that may step on him, elevator doors and the folks who come from behind and steal a pat or two!

You know what is most annoying when you're in a wheelchair; are the folks who stand behind you and hold on to your chair for their convenience! ;)

Our freshmen orientation program is a full week long, and started last Saturday. The students are already looking longingly at Scooter as we walk from here to there.

I do a lot of education about SDs vs therapy dogs. We bring TDs in at midterm and finals. Sometimes more.

Our freshmen orientation program is a full week long, and started last Saturday. The students are already looking longingly at Scooter as we walk from here to there.

I do a lot of education about SDs vs therapy dogs. We bring TDs in at midterm and finals. Sometimes more.

"Looking longingly", a perfect description of what people look like when they're in the presence of a well-trained Service Dog. :)

"Looking longingly", a perfect description of what people look like when they're in the presence of a well-trained Service Dog. :)
:)

In my situation, it is because they all miss their family pets.

We walk in for a presentation, Scooter lays down behind the podium, I speak. Meanwhile, many of the students are trying to watch Scooter instead of me.

I usually call him to me and he sits right next to me for the last part while I do a short SD ed piece.

I'm on b presentation number 23 for the week in 5 minutes