Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Happy Weekend everyone. It's finally cooled down [a bit] and the humidity is slowly dissipating....it has been unbearable.....thank goodness for air conditioning.

I was out to dinner last night and there was a small dog in a car with one window rolled down 1 inch. I was furious. Although the dog looked okay for now, it certainly wasn't going to last for much longer with 95 degrees and 60% humidity. I walked into the restaurant and approached the hostess asking that she find out who's car it was and that they either remove the dog or I will. I reminded them that there are new laws in L.A. that allow me to break the window of the car to get the dog out if I felt his life were in danger and I would suffer no repercussions.

I suggested she call the police before I start looking for a brick. Some folks were standing in the take-out line I asked if that was their car and dog, they said "yes" and they were almost done. I asked why one of them didn't wait in the car with the dog? Was it too hot to wait in the car? They kept turning their back on me and I asked the hostess to find me the manager and have him call the police. The manager came up to me [i'm sure to shut me up, I was causing a bit of a ruckus] and asked me to show him the dog. We walked outside, he looked in the car and said that the dog looked okay and, "let's give it a few more minutes!" The two imbeciles came out and got in their car, without a word, and took off.

I told the manager that he should have a sign on his front door warning patrons "DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG IN A HOT CAR" or, we will call for help! He said it was a good idea and he'd look into it. I will go back and see if they actually do it. It's a very popular restaurant in my area [Olive Garden] and is always full.

I know that it's not unusual for people to leave even their children in a hot car but every time I see them do it, I'm going to call them "OUT!" Maybe I'll keep a hammer in my car for just these types of incidences.

Okay, okay.......I'm off the soapbox.......Have a restful, cool weekend friends ♥

I was out to dinner last night and there was a small dog in a car with one window rolled down 1 inch. I was furious. Although the dog looked okay for now, it certainly wasn't going to last for much longer with 95 degrees and 60% humidity. I walked into the restaurant and approached the hostess asking that she find out who's car it was and that they either remove the dog or I will. I reminded them that there are new laws in L.A. that allow me to break the window of the car to get the dog out if I felt his life were in danger and I would suffer no repercussions.

Bravo Roz - those people should not be allowed to have a dog. By now, everyone should be aware how dangerous it is to leave a dog in a car on a hot day.

Dianne

Couple of days ago in a small town in Michigan, a guy left his dogs in his pickup with engine running and A/C on while he ran into the supermarket for an item. When he came out a passerby yelled at him in unpleasant language, and the guy reciprocated. Cooler heads prevailed and explanations were made. Sometimes things are not what they at first seem.

Couple of days ago in a small town in Michigan, a guy left his dogs in his pickup with engine running and A/C on while he ran into the supermarket for an item. When he came out a passerby yelled at him in unpleasant language, and the guy reciprocated. Cooler heads prevailed and explanations were made. Sometimes things are not what they at first seem.

It's so heartbreaking when we hear stories of children and animals [the innocent one's in our society] who are left to fend for themselves, no matter what the situation.

I'm locking myself up in a padded cell and I'm only coming out when the cruise ship leaves the dock!!!!!

So Sutter has now graduated as a Skilled Companion Service Dog and is living with his twelve year old partner Jack and his wonderful family in Northern Virginia. We got to spend an hour with Sutter last Friday morning. Don't let anyone tell you that dogs forget you after six months. The reunion could not have gone better! Then we got to meet Jack and his mom & dad. There have never been more grateful people on the planet. Seeing the family's reaction to Sutter, and Sutter's reaction to them was priceless. It made the what should have been a 2.5 hour ride out that turned into 4 hours and the 5 hour ride home worth it. And there is a funny twist to the story. Sutter's brother Smith also graduated the same day. His puppy raiser lives around the block from Sutter's new people. They have been friends for years. Now we're just waiting for CCI to tell us when we can raise the next puppy.

I haven't encountered the terminology "skilled companion service dog" before. What does Sutter do for his person? I know all about CCI—I applied to them but decided to go with Dogs for the Deaf because the latter trains small rescue dogs as well as Labs, and I felt a Lab was a bit much for me to handle at my age (and I live in a condo without a yard).

I haven't encountered the terminology "skilled companion service dog" before. What does Sutter do for his person? I know all about CCI—I applied to them but decided to go with Dogs for the Deaf because the latter trains small rescue dogs as well as Labs, and I felt a Lab was a bit much for me to handle at my age (and I live in a condo without a yard).

A Skilled Companion Service Dog from CCI is a service dog going to a person under 18 years old or to anyone who

would have trouble controlling the dog. That person would have one or more "facilitators" who would control the dog out in public. The person would not be allowed to take the dog out in public by themselves and the facilitators wouldn't either.

So Sutter has now graduated as a Skilled Companion Service Dog and is living with his twelve year old partner Jack and his wonderful family in Northern Virginia. We got to spend an hour with Sutter last Friday morning. Don't let anyone tell you that dogs forget you after six months. The reunion could not have gone better! Then we got to meet Jack and his mom & dad. There have never been more grateful people on the planet. Seeing the family's reaction to Sutter, and Sutter's reaction to them was priceless. It made the what should have been a 2.5 hour ride out that turned into 4 hours and the 5 hour ride home worth it. And there is a funny twist to the story. Sutter's brother Smith also graduated the same day. His puppy raiser lives around the block from Sutter's new people. They have been friends for years. Now we're just waiting for CCI to tell us when we can raise the next puppy.

Thanks for the update. You must feel so good when you get such a happy ending. And, your "twist" really proves that it is truly a "small world!"

Please let us know when you get your next puppy......Far be it for me to bring this up, but have you ever heard of taking a break? ;p

I have to tell you, I felt the same way about having a "big" dog, until I met the organization and I knew I wanted them in my life! Also, when we were applying we had just moved out of a three thousand square foot home, on a 1/2 acre, into a condo with only a large patio. I didn't think it would work with a large dog......well, that was 2002 and 15 years and two CCI dogs, I can attest to the fact that these dogs can live a full [brenda lived a wonderful life until the age of 14] and rich life, she didn't need to exercise at home, she did that wherever we traveled to.

My Successor Dog, Horton, is about 20 pounds bigger than Brenda, he's a big boy and lives a great life in my condo.

So, if anyone out there thinks they can't live a perfect life with a CCI dog, and an apartment or condo, I can attest to the fact that you can!

Happy Weekend everyone. It's finally cooled down [a bit] and the humidity is slowly dissipating....it has been unbearable.....thank goodness for air conditioning.

I suggested she call the police before I start looking for a brick. Some folks were standing in the take-out line I asked if that was their car and dog, they said "yes" and they were almost done. I asked why one of them didn't wait in the car with the dog? Was it too hot to wait in the car? They kept turning their back on me and I asked the hostess to find me the manager and have him call the police. The manager came up to me [i'm sure to shut me up, I was causing a bit of a ruckus] and asked me to show him the dog. We walked outside, he looked in the car and said that the dog looked okay and, "let's give it a few more minutes!" The two imbeciles came out and got in their car, without a word, and took off.

I told the manager that he should have a sign on his front door warning patrons "DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG IN A HOT CAR" or, we will call for help! He said it was a good idea and he'd look into it. I will go back and see if they actually do it. It's a very popular restaurant in my area [Olive Garden] and is always full.

I know that it's not unusual for people to leave even their children in a hot car but every time I see them do it, I'm going to call them "OUT!" Maybe I'll keep a hammer in my car for just these types of incidences.

Okay, okay.......I'm off the soapbox.......Have a restful, cool weekend friends ♥

It amazes me with all the stories on TV that people still leave their dogs in a hot car!! Ughhhhhh. People are just plain stupid! You know we just had like 6 kids fall out of windows, in one month. Seemed like every day one got hurt or died. Gee if I saw one story, I'd be checking the windows and watching my kid like a hawk. Oops ranting..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Awesome Den!! The pic of Kim handing over the leash was priceless. Made me cry. ❤️

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

So Sutter has now graduated as a Skilled Companion Service Dog and is living with his twelve year old partner Jack and his wonderful family in Northern Virginia. We got to spend an hour with Sutter last Friday morning. Don't let anyone tell you that dogs forget you after six months.

Congratulations to Sutter and to your family. What an unbelievable gift you have given to Jack. Henri and I were matched two years ago last week - she definitely still remembers her puppy raiser and is always so happy to see him. Puppy raisers are the best people on the planet!

Dianne

We had thought of raising a puppy for an organization near us, but did't think we could give it up.

It is wonderful what these dogs can do!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seashoregal,

I see that you are in Delaware. If you decided to puppy raise for CCI, you would come to the campus out on Long island, NY. It would be a bit of a drive but we have puppy raisers that come from as far north as Maine and as far south as Virginia. Sutter was the third puppy we raised. We thought the same thing at first but when you see how the dog changes someone's life, you keep raising. Because my daughter just got her successor service dog in May, we have to wait between 6 months and a year before we can puppy raise again. They want to make sure the new dog is bonded with my daughter. We are hoping for January. Please consider CCI to puppy raise for. It is the only organization I know of that gives the dog to the recipient for free!

Thanks for the update. You must feel so good when you get such a happy ending. And, your "twist" really proves that it is truly a "small world!"

Please let us know when you get your next puppy......Far be it for me to bring this up, but have you ever heard of taking a break? ;p

We are taking a break Roz. We can't get another puppy until at least January. Maybe not until may.

That's a long break!!

Den, just a point of info to add that might be of interest to deaf people - Dogs for the Deaf also provides the dogs for free, other than a $50 application fee. There's a $500 good faith deposit after you are accepted, which is returned at the end of one year as partners.

I was surprised when I started considering a dog to learn that a lot of organizations require recipients to raise or pay a bunch of money before they'll be given a dog. Big praise to CCI and DFD for their policies!

So glad CCI now has Hearing Dog training in Florida.

Den, just a point of info to add that might be of interest to deaf people - Dogs for the Deaf also provides the dogs for free, other than a $50 application fee. There's a $500 good faith deposit after you are accepted, which is returned at the end of one year as partners.

I was surprised when I started considering a dog to learn that a lot of organizations require recipients to raise or pay a bunch of money before they'll be given a dog. Big praise to CCI and DFD for their policies!

So glad CCI now has Hearing Dog training in Florida.

That's very good to know. Do you have to stay in a hotel while training with DFD? CCI has a campus where you stay for free and they have volunteers that provide lunch every day. If they have a very large class, they will ask you if you would consider staying in a hotel, at your own expense, so you don't have to wait for the next class.