Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

hey Roz - I think you are talking about the Mont. Blanc munitions ship explosion - flattened a pretty big section of Halifax and killed 1800 people:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-great-halifax-explosion

or now that I think of it the many of the Titanic's victims were taken to Halifax; that is what you were referring to, correct?

If you have any questions about the ship requirements/easy way to deal with "special needs" departments/cabins/dining area/potty box/food/exercise/hotel/excursions/airplanes, etc. Ask away......

I don't want to bore you with all the details...so, I'll let you lead the way! ;)

Hi Wizard,

I sailed onboard the Princess Star last April and we had difficulties with the location of the potty box.

My pup's training trumped all the efforts. He knew I was scared of water and I think he was too. The potty box was located on the 7 deck near the front during which we going through a massive Pacific storm (Sea state of 9) so he would NOT even go outside. Heck the guest were NOT even permitted to go outside on the 7 deck during the storm but yet they wanted me to go out with my dog during that storm! The staff said let's try to see if my spouse could take him out for me. Heck no, he was NOT going to leave my side during this storm.

The staff told me it was there at the determined potty box location on 7 deck or in our room!!!! I went at the desk and explained listen I didn't get this dog our of box of Cracker Jack so he's at work doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

So the staff placed the box on my deck floor into an elevator room, again his training trumped and he would NOT go inside. I tried and tried, it was awful... he sat by the box and looked at me and would not go... :(

My poor Sumac held it for 18hrs :eek:, as a desperate measure we went up on the very top to get some fresh air and that was the only place he decided he would go. Poor pup:o! Now the problem is I didn't want to dirty the ship so I was "catching" everything in fear to be kicked off... you read it right, I "caught" everything in his potty bags!!!! We would only take him before people woke up and started to go on the top deck at 6am and again at end of day near 10pm... only 2 potty break per day... and I was still bringing him to his box inside the elevator roommate every hours or so thought the day to try to see if he would go and NOPE he would not.

The staff would NOT budge and would NOT move the box to a higher deck... so I need your help on this one as we are sailing again on the Star and I am not comfortable making him go only twice a day for a full 5 days while at sea, it's not fair to him and it's no fun for me either being in constant fear of getting in trouble and to tell you the truth, I love my dog but having to place myself to his butt so he doesn't soil anything is no fun either. Yeah it's funny when you look at it now but it wasn't then.

We filled the review email upon our return and I brought the issue up but unfortunately no one got back to me to see if we could rectify this issue. In my opinion it was a total failure to accommodate someone with a disability requiring a service animal. What are your suggestion because we would like to take another cruise but really hesitant as I don't really know my rights on a cruise ship.

SaveSave

Hi Cindy,

I know that you have recently been to Bermuda. Do you know how the rabies vaccination section of the health form is filled out? They have two tables: one that says "first rabies vaccination" and one that says "second rabies vaccination." Do they just want the information on the last two rabies vaccinations given or do they really want the information on the first two rabies vaccinations that were administered at three months and one year?

thanks,

Dianne

I think we have all the info. Ill have John look for it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Hi Cindy,

I know that you have recently been to Bermuda. Do you know how the rabies vaccination section of the health form is filled out? They have two tables: one that says "first rabies vaccination" and one that says "second rabies vaccination." Do they just want the information on the last two rabies vaccinations given or do they really want the information on the first two rabies vaccinations that were administered at three months and one year?

thanks,

Dianne

As for the rabies, I think they wanted the most recent and the one before that. They took the 3 year rabies even though they wanted a yearly. They also excused the microchip, since Wex doesnt have one. When are you going and what ship?

Let's see wasn't there a very famous ship wreck near beautiful Nova Scotia? I hope to do a New England trip in the future and include Nova Scotia in it. Have a wonderful time!

Taking our dogs to noisy shows and entertainment is all part of us living a good life. And, we don't do it all the time. I know that our first reaction to them getting startled by the noise is to want to pat or console them, don't fall-for-the-fur; give another direction to them and keep your expectations high. They soon learn that it's not a big deal and go back to laying down. Most importantly, make sure that no one has to step over or on them.

Congratulations Cindy & John on many years together....I wish you at least 120 more. Yes, I'm off to Hawaii again with a different set of children and on a different cruise line. I'm not a fan of so many sea days but the kids are. And, I love cruising so off I go. I know exactly what you're saying about Wexy aging and not wanting to put him through too much. It might be time to start thinking about applying for a Successor. It'll take some wait time anyway and you guys are so good with these dogs, can you imagine your life without one?

Barb, gotta get all the Hawaii and European travel in before the titer test runs out.

The best way to get all the paperwork and licenses paid for when we're doing it via fax or email is with a credit card.

Have a wonderful, cool and safe weekend everyone!

I cant imagine life without him, but I think he might be the last. John on the other hand feels different.

Another Bahamas question. It appears they are ok with the 3 year vaccinations. Do I really need to get Halo the coronavirus vaccination? My vet said he hasn’t even given one of those in over 15 years.

Now I am getting really nervous about the going potty part. Halo will hold forever and avoid going places he does not like. Do they ever just go in inappropriate places because of holding it too long? And how does one react? Also the cruise ship? Of course, I have his “diaper bag” with me at all times, poop bags, paper towels, sanitizer wipes, sanitizer spray.

Linda and Halo

Another Bahamas question. It appears they are ok with the 3 year vaccinations. Do I really need to get Halo the coronavirus vaccination? My vet said he hasn’t even given one of those in over 15 years.

Now I am getting really nervous about the going potty part. Halo will hold forever and avoid going places he does not like. Do they ever just go in inappropriate places because of holding it too long? And how does one react? Also the cruise ship? Of course, I have his “diaper bag” with me at all times, poop bags, paper towels, sanitizer wipes, sanitizer spray.

Linda and Halo

Some of the other posters have not gotten the coronavirus vaccination and had not issues with the Bahamas. I am going to have my vet write a letter stating that the coronavirus vaccine is not generally given in the US and not readily available. I am not going to have my dog vaccinated for an eight-hour port visit.

Dianne

Dianne, I've got all the info, but will have to email it to you.

Thanks Cindy - my e-mail is catmom @ gmx.com (no spaces).

We are going in November on the Celebrity Silhouette. Bermuda says they will waive the requirement that the health form be dated within 10 days of arrival since we will be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Dianne

Thanks Cindy - my e-mail is catmom @ gmx.com (no spaces).

We are going in November on the Celebrity Silhouette. Bermuda says they will waive the requirement that the health form be dated within 10 days of arrival since we will be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Dianne

Sent. Let me know if the attachment works.

Oh Roz, I would so love to do this cruise with you guys! I am going to check it out. Which cruiseline/ship are you going on? We are having a house built, so we have to be mindful of the budget. I have been looking at cruises lately. Still want to do Panama Canal and Keith wants to go to New York to see Time Square. I am going to trundle over and see what's available.

OMG! I actually had to log-in to get on the boards. I just got my computer back after it crashed....It was a first for me and it was so weird. I have so much stuff on my computer, mostly about my wonderful dogs and my family......You should have seen me begging the "Geek Squad", "please, please retrieve my stuff.....they did but I had to go to a different email server, don't ask. Anyway, I'm here and feeling like a cyber bunny!

I'll be on the Ruby Princess on February 18th. Horton and I would love to share our time with you.

Roz, I would love to cruise with you. But, I have written off going to Hawaii with all the regulations and expenses to get a service dog in.

Linda and Halo

I totally get your reasoning but I'll also be onboard the Ruby Princess on February 18th for 10 days going down to the Sea of Cortez. Easy, peasy paperwork

Hi Wizard,

I sailed onboard the Princess Star last April and we had difficulties with the location of the potty box.

My pup's training trumped all the efforts. He knew I was scared of water and I think he was too. The potty box was located on the 7 deck near the front during which we going through a massive Pacific storm (Sea state of 9) so he would NOT even go outside. Heck the guest were NOT even permitted to go outside on the 7 deck during the storm but yet they wanted me to go out with my dog during that storm! The staff said let's try to see if my spouse could take him out for me. Heck no, he was NOT going to leave my side during this storm.

The staff told me it was there at the determined potty box location on 7 deck or in our room!!!! I went at the desk and explained listen I didn't get this dog our of box of Cracker Jack so he's at work doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

So the staff placed the box on my deck floor into an elevator room, again his training trumped and he would NOT go inside. I tried and tried, it was awful... he sat by the box and looked at me and would not go... :(

My poor Sumac held it for 18hrs :eek:, as a desperate measure we went up on the very top to get some fresh air and that was the only place he decided he would go. Poor pup:o! Now the problem is I didn't want to dirty the ship so I was "catching" everything in fear to be kicked off... you read it right, I "caught" everything in his potty bags!!!! We would only take him before people woke up and started to go on the top deck at 6am and again at end of day near 10pm... only 2 potty break per day... and I was still bringing him to his box inside the elevator roommate every hours or so thought the day to try to see if he would go and NOPE he would not.

The staff would NOT budge and would NOT move the box to a higher deck... so I need your help on this one as we are sailing again on the Star and I am not comfortable making him go only twice a day for a full 5 days while at sea, it's not fair to him and it's no fun for me either being in constant fear of getting in trouble and to tell you the truth, I love my dog but having to place myself to his butt so he doesn't soil anything is no fun either. Yeah it's funny when you look at it now but it wasn't then.

We filled the review email upon our return and I brought the issue up but unfortunately no one got back to me to see if we could rectify this issue. In my opinion it was a total failure to accommodate someone with a disability requiring a service animal. What are your suggestion because we would like to take another cruise but really hesitant as I don't really know my rights on a cruise ship.

SaveSave

I had a problem with the Hotel Manager onboard the Star Princess who insisted that it was a health and safety issue that the box had to be placed on a deck far away from our cabin and the other passengers; we had to go through a heavy door and over a big lift. I told him that he'd better call the Captain of the Diamond, Golden and Sapphire Princess, because they had no problem placing the box either on our veranda or in a stairwell near our cabin. The stairwells are perfect. They have lots of room for the box and they're out of the weather and away from the people.

The secret is to practice, practice, practice with your dog and artificial turf. My dog uses a potty box filled with wood shavings, covered with artificial turf ONLY, it sits on our patio. He thinks it's very natural and will go easily in any box that is filled with any lame litter that the ship may choose, even the danged kitty litter. The turf covers it and is always comfortable for him to step on. I buy the grass at Lowe's, I punch holes in it for drainage, I roll it up and bring it on every cruise. I leave it when I disembark. It's not expensive and I consider it part of my cruise expenses.

I find it so heartbreaking to hear all the stories of the folks who travel with their dogs and the dogs are miserable. It's so unnecessary. This is my second dog that I cruise with, Brenda had finished her 15th cruise and Horton will be on his 11th. I insist that the Hotel Manager or the Steward place the box where it's best for me and my dog.

The ships want our business but it's not their job to take care of our dogs and do the best for them, that's our job. I insist that a receptacle is placed near the box, I bring my own bags and ALWAYS pick up the waste after each use. There's really nothing for the Steward to do, except remove it when we leave. My dog is happy and so am I. He loves to cruise as much as I do!

The doors to the stairwells are very heavy, if you are in a wheelchair or have a problem with your shoulders or arms, you will need help to open and close the door, keeping in mind you and your dogs safety.

Make that 4x4 box, fill it, put the artificial grass over it; put your dogs leash on him, have treats ready and start practicing. I promise you won't be sorry and your dog will love you for it.

Disney cruises uses a kiddie pool filled with sod for their Service Dogs onboard.

I had a problem with the Hotel Manager onboard the Star Princess who insisted that it was a health and safety issue that the box had to be placed on a deck far away from our cabin and the other passengers; we had to go through a heavy door and over a big lift. I told him that he'd better call the Captain of the Diamond, Golden and Sapphire Princess, because they had no problem placing the box either on our veranda or in a stairwell near our cabin. The stairwells are perfect. They have lots of room for the box and they're out of the weather and away from the people.

The secret is to practice, practice, practice with your dog and artificial turf. My dog uses a potty box filled with wood shavings, covered with artificial turf ONLY, it sits on our patio. He thinks it's very natural and will go easily in any box that is filled with any lame litter that the ship may choose, even the danged kitty litter. The turf covers it and is always comfortable for him to step on. I buy the grass at Lowe's, I punch holes in it for drainage, I roll it up and bring it on every cruise. I leave it when I disembark. It's not expensive and I consider it part of my cruise expenses.

I find it so heartbreaking to hear all the stories of the folks who travel with their dogs and the dogs are miserable. It's so unnecessary. This is my second dog that I cruise with, Brenda had finished her 15th cruise and Horton will be on his 11th. I insist that the Hotel Manager or the Steward place the box where it's best for me and my dog.

The ships want our business but it's not their job to take care of our dogs and do the best for them, that's our job. I insist that a receptacle is placed near the box, I bring my own bags and ALWAYS pick up the waste after each use. There's really nothing for the Steward to do, except remove it when we leave. My dog is happy and so am I. He loves to cruise as much as I do!

The doors to the stairwells are very heavy, if you are in a wheelchair or have a problem with your shoulders or arms, you will need help to open and close the door, keeping in mind you and your dogs safety.

Make that 4x4 box, fill it, put the artificial grass over it; put your dogs leash on him, have treats ready and start practicing. I promise you won't be sorry and your dog will love you for it.

Disney cruises uses a kiddie pool filled with sod for their Service Dogs onboard.

P.S Don't let them tell you where the box will be placed.......You tell them where you want it. Remember, the stairwells are a great place.

I totally get your reasoning but I'll also be onboard the Ruby Princess on February 18th for 10 days going down to the Sea of Cortez. Easy, peasy paperwork

Where is the port? Out of the west coast? I am in Florida in the winters and can't justify a flight back to the west when I live in the west in the summers.

However, if it is out of Florida, I will check it out.

Linda and Halo

My husband made a 4'x4' box, it is bigger than I thought. Carnival says they use second nature dog litter, we will see. So I got some. I am going to work with Halo on using the box and only the box for the next 3 months. I am putting it inside, for 2 reasons, my mobility issues - it would be too hard on me to walk him outside to do his business and I want him to know it is ok to go inside in a box prepared for him.

I have a TA, I emailed her and insisted she tell them to put the box on my balcony and even if they say they can't, to be persistent. We will see how that works. I may have to go to customer services once on board. There is no way I can do stairs or a heavy door, so they have no choice with me.

Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions. I hadn't even thought of training on the box, that will make a HUGE difference.

I am also going to go to the dining room once on board and make sure our seating is against a wall and at the front of the dining room. I just feel more comfortable, Halo does fine - it is just me, if I don't have to walk him to the back of a dining room or restaurant.

Linda and Halo

I have a TA, I emailed her and insisted she tell them to put the box on my balcony and even if they say they can't, to be persistent. We will see how that works. I may have to go to customer services once on board. There is no way I can do stairs or a heavy door, so they have no choice with me.

Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions. I hadn't even thought of training on the box, that will make a HUGE difference.

Linda and Halo

I have had zero success in getting the cruise line to agree ahead of time to put the relief box on the balcony. Once we have boarded the ship, we have been successful in getting it moved to the balcony.

Dianne

I am putting together a group cruise as a FUNDRAISER for the Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs. It'll be on the Carnival Liberty out of Port Canaveral on May 2, 2019. What a fundraiser cruise does is any of the group benefits will be taken as a donation (directly from Carnival to the 501 © 3 group. $12 per person per day. Plus any group credit will also be given to them. If anyone is interested, just let me know.

They do SD's mostly for Veteran's and First Responders. Very proud of this group as so many of the teams are going waaaay out of their comfort zone. So far we have about 10 teams going. (and a few non SD people who want to be a part of the fundraiser part of it) Carnival has been wonderful to deal with in this, especially with help getting the dogs set AND their handlers. Even the Port Authority and security is stepping in to make it comfortable for the handlers as many suffer from hyper-vigilance.

If anyone is interested in going, just let me know.

Holly

What a great idea Holly - wish we were on the East Coast.

Dianne

Where is the port? Out of the west coast? I am in Florida in the winters and can't justify a flight back to the west when I live in the west in the summers.

However, if it is out of Florida, I will check it out.

Linda and Halo

I cruise out of San Pedro, Long Beach or San Diego now.

It's just so much easier and makes for a much more pleasant cruising experience if I can just drive to the port, at this time in my life.

Florida offers so many choices out of their ports. I have cruised many times out of Florida and loved every one of them, unfortunately, the flight there is huge for me and my HUGE dog right now.

My husband made a 4'x4' box, it is bigger than I thought. Carnival says they use second nature dog litter, we will see. So I got some. I am going to work with Halo on using the box and only the box for the next 3 months. I am putting it inside, for 2 reasons, my mobility issues - it would be too hard on me to walk him outside to do his business and I want him to know it is ok to go inside in a box prepared for him.

I am also going to go to the dining room once on board and make sure our seating is against a wall and at the front of the dining room. I just feel more comfortable, Halo does fine - it is just me, if I don't have to walk him to the back of a dining room or restaurant.

Linda and Halo

Good job, Linda. Carnival will be good to deal with once your onboard. I had a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. They placed the box on the veranda and tied a trash bag to the bottom of a chair leg [that was okay for disposal of his litter bags.] The litter Carnival uses is a bit hard on our dogs paw pads [in my opinion], which is why the artificial grass that I lay over it works great.

When you get onboard check your veranda for the box. If you don't see it go directly to the Purser's Desk [customer service] and INSIST that the box be placed within the next half hour because your dog needs to relieve himself. They don't like the thought of your dog going to the bathroom on their carpets!!!!! I once told a rep. that I would make Brenda go potty right in front of her desk if she didn't help me IMMEDIATELY!!!! [Make sure that you've allowed Halo to go potty before you board the ship.] There are grassy areas or planter boxes outside of the entrance area to the ship, and it will be easier on both of you if Halo's comfortable as your getting the box placement settled.

Training to use the potty box is a job and some dogs are shy to it......but, don't give up. Make it a positive and easy experience with a kind voice and a big treat. Make it fun!!!!

Onboard the Carnival Miracle I was very impressed by the well-made box that was placed on our veranda. Good job Carnival!

I have had zero success in getting the cruise line to agree ahead of time to put the relief box on the balcony. Once we have boarded the ship, we have been successful in getting it moved to the balcony.

Dianne

I have NEVER had the cruise line, no matter which one, guarantee me that the box will be waiting for me on the balcony, prior to my cruise - For that very reason; it's the very first thing I do after I board. I check for the box. If I don't see it than I make a bee-line to the Customer Service Desk. I start my ranting there and then I go looking for the Hotel Manager and then my Steward. I'm NOT pleasant until I see the box in motion to my veranda. They think I'm crazy; I look and sound like an insane escapee from a mental institution........Once the box is where I want it.........I'm the cross-image of Shirley Temple, Liz Taylor and Mother Theresa. When my dog is comfortable and happy, I'm happy! I have a better cruise. I make their lives more pleasant and the poor person I'm cruising with doesn't feel like they need to hide in the bathroom, until I'm done, anymore!

All of the above is the reason that I make sure Horton has relieved himself before I place my feet onboard the ship. I look for a grassy, dirt, planter box......wherever, and I insist that he go potty. Which is why when we're out and about I teach him to go potty in every kind of substance that I can find. He will go potty on a pile of rocks, as long as they don't hurt his paw pads, sand, pebbles, leaves, ground cover, etc., etc. I'm careful to check for harmful, sharp debris before I give him the "cue" to go! I may be pushy, but I love my boy!

Traveling with an 80lb furry infant, who doesn't wear a diaper can be very difficult. The more portable and travel worthy that we make them, the easier it is on us. I insist that Horty be brave and make both our lives easier!

I have NEVER had the cruise line, no matter which one, guarantee me that the box will be waiting for me on the balcony, prior to my cruise - For that very reason; it's the very first thing I do after I board. I check for the box. If I don't see it than I make a bee-line to the Customer Service Desk. I start my ranting there and then I go looking for the Hotel Manager and then my Steward. I'm NOT pleasant until I see the box in motion to my veranda. They think I'm crazy; I look and sound like an insane escapee from a mental institution........Once the box is where I want it.........I'm the cross-image of Shirley Temple, Liz Taylor and Mother Theresa. When my dog is comfortable and happy, I'm happy! I have a better cruise. I make their lives more pleasant and the poor person I'm cruising with doesn't feel like they need to hide in the bathroom, until I'm done, anymore!

All of the above is the reason that I make sure Horton has relieved himself before I place my feet onboard the ship. I look for a grassy, dirt, planter box......wherever, and I insist that he go potty. Which is why when we're out and about I teach him to go potty in every kind of substance that I can find. He will go potty on a pile of rocks, as long as they don't hurt his paw pads, sand, pebbles, leaves, ground cover, etc., etc. I'm careful to check for harmful, sharp debris before I give him the "cue" to go! I may be pushy, but I love my boy!

Traveling with an 80lb furry infant, who doesn't wear a diaper can be very difficult. The more portable and travel worthy that we make them, the easier it is on us. I insist that Horty be brave and make both our lives easier!

Wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t have to spend the first day on the ship camped out at guest relations until the box situation is resolved.

Dianne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums