Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz,

No, he isn't! You must have his birth year wrong. There is no way Horty is 9 1/2 years old, period. Our big ole goofy boy. I have been looking thru photos to get old pictures of Travis in his Boy Scout venue for his Eagle Scout Court of Honor. Well my pictures are a big mess and all together, so I get to stroll down memory lane looking for the Boy Scout ones. I get to see my big ole lug, Reno. Miss that boy to the moon and back. Jezzy Lou is getting up there, too. She is also about 9 1/2 now that I think about it. She has done something to her left eye. Went to the dogtor. Nothing in it, no scratches, just lots of irritation. The vet says it is the membrane that they call the "third eye" on the bottom of the eye. It is a whitish/yellow color and there is something wrong with it. Her eye is also hazy. Been on anti-biotics and eye drops for about 9 days. Will continue the drops until she goes back, in another week. It is finally looking better, but still hazy. She has been a trooper with the drops, although she doesn't like them. The pills were fine first day with cheese, then had to go to bologna and are finishing up with Cotto Salami! One day after meds, I was looking at her and her furry face. I saw a bump and called her over. Little booger had spit the "green" pill out and it had stuck to the underside of her hair on her chin! She took it the second time. I hate stuffing it down her throat. She is so little that it isn't as easy as our Big Furkids. She's our little weird furball. Love her to death.

Aw, Jezzy, feel good little one! Horty and I are sending our healing best wishes to you! :hearteyes:

Does Carnival require paperwork for the service dog? I have gotten the Bahamas certificate and will be taking him to the vet to for all the paperwork and vaccinations needed from them. I just didn't know if there where any special requirements by Carnival.

My TA doesn't respond to my question about that. Got me the accessible room and sent the paperwork for my wheelchair, but she didn't respond when I asked about paperwork for Halo.

Linda and Halo

Does Carnival require paperwork for the service dog? I have gotten the Bahamas certificate and will be taking him to the vet to for all the paperwork and vaccinations needed from them. I just didn't know if there where any special requirements by Carnival.

My TA doesn't respond to my question about that. Got me the accessible room and sent the paperwork for my wheelchair, but she didn't respond when I asked about paperwork for Halo.

Linda and Halo

Linda, the only kind of paperwork they can require is their own special needs form, the Aphis 7001 and vet docs and any import permits. What other paperwork is there?

Contact the special needs department for their specific form. Special needs will talk to you even with a TA involved.

Thanks for the information about Carnival's forms. I have filled out and sent in the special needs form for my wheelchair. I have received the certificate for import from the Bahamas.

My vet said the Aphis 7001 has is only good for 30 days. So, my plan, is to have my vet in Florida take care of that when Halo gets his vaccinations. Then I will have the health certificate done 48 hours before we leave.

He has been using the potty box regularly lately and is not hesitating. Thank you so much for the advice on training him to that.

Linda and Halo

Linda, ALL the cruise lines require the completed Aphis 7001 form to be filled out by Halo's Vet. Make sure that all the information on the form is completed WITHOUT using abbreviations and that the Vet sign and date it. Make 3 copies of the form and any other pertinent information that you may have; copy of Organization Permit; Microchip Info., etc., etc.

Give one copy to the registration people; one copy for the Immigration official when you're in your first port and one copy for the Purser's Desk onboard. Keep the original copy with your Passport and take it with you when you go off the ship at the various ports. It will make it much easier to get back onboard with Halo to show to any official who has not seen him before.

You're going to love cruising with Halo.

Thanks for the information about Carnival's forms. I have filled out and sent in the special needs form for my wheelchair. I have received the certificate for import from the Bahamas.

My vet said the Aphis 7001 has is only good for 30 days. So, my plan, is to have my vet in Florida take care of that when Halo gets his vaccinations. Then I will have the health certificate done 48 hours before we leave.

He has been using the potty box regularly lately and is not hesitating. Thank you so much for the advice on training him to that.

Linda and Halo

Did you list on the special needs form that you were bringing your service dog?

If not, submit another one, or send the special needs department an email about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Did you list on the special needs form that you were bringing your service dog?

If not, submit another one, or send the special needs department an email about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, as Barb says, it’s VERY important to notify the cruise line about a service dog - usually at minimum a month before departure if at all possible - so they get word to the ship for the relief box and filler to be ready for you on board.

Thanks everyone. Now that I know he will go in the box, I am not stressing and looking forward to having him on the cruise. Any recommendations on training the hubby not to stress about it;p

I have notified Carnival on the special needs form about him. Have requested the relief box on the balcony. They responded with they can't do that. I responded with, I am in a wheelchair, cannot go over thresholds or through heavy doors and need it on the same floor. I also said there are no regulations that say the box can't be put on the balcony. Please provide the box on the balcony. We will see.

I have the Bahamas import certificate. Can I get the Aphis completed more than 30 days out? I know I have to have it. And will have plenty of copies with me.

Linda and Halo

I'll be interested where they put the "litter box", Linda and Halo. We're booked on one of the first Cunard round trip cruises to Alaska in June, 2019.

I also got the standard "it can't be on the balcony" and I think I'm okay with that, provided the relief area is nearby AND accessible to a wheelchair user. We spend a lot of time on the balcony and, while I willingly share all kinds of things with my dog, a balcony pee station may not be #1 on my list! ;)

I'm wondering about the "required" Aphis 7001 form. That's great if you live in the US and have a USDA vet. I'm in Canada and we're leaving from Vancouver, BC. My dogs have made a total of seven trips to England and were required to have paperwork filled out by my vet and the Agriculture Canada vet - even when we flew out of Seattle.

Anyone have any thoughts? In the meantime, I've sent an email to the access office at Cunard.

I'm wondering about the "required" Aphis 7001 form. That's great if you live in the US and have a USDA vet. I'm in Canada and we're leaving from Vancouver, BC. My dogs have made a total of seven trips to England and were required to have paperwork filled out by my vet and the Agriculture Canada vet - even when we flew out of Seattle.

Anyone have any thoughts? In the meantime, I've sent an email to the access office at Cunard.

If you are not from the US, you don't use the APHIS form 7001. For countries that do not require their own specific health certificate, you would use the Canadian International Health Certificate for Dogs and Cats and have it endorsed by the official Canadian government veterinarian if required by the country you are visiting.

Dianne

I have the Bahamas import certificate. Can I get the Aphis completed more than 30 days out? I know I have to have it. And will have plenty of copies with me.

Linda and Halo

The APHIS Form is only valid for 30 days (some countries require that it be issued within a shorter time period than 30 days).

Dianne

The APHIS Form is only valid for 30 days (some countries require that it be issued within a shorter time period than 30 days).

Dianne

Thanks so much. Since we leave on Nov 25, I will go to the Florida vet the beginning of November to get it in the works. And then go back to the vet for the 48 hours before departure health certificate.

Linda and Halo

Hey Everyone - looks like Florence is heading right for us here in the Carolinas. We live in the Charlotte area so we are expecting mostly rain and high winds. I hope everyone closer to the coast is heeding the warnings and getting the heck out of there.

My wife is leaving tomorrow for a bus tour in New England, and she suggested I sleep downstairs for a few days in case a tree fell on the house. I replied that I was sure I would be OK sleeping up stairs.

Her reply to that was "I wasn't really worried about you, but Lucy will be sleeping beside you".

Thank you for posting this! I just joined this board to ask some questions for going on my first cruise, some of those questions being about cruising with my service dog. It is hard to find people who have cruised with their service dog.

I've travelled a lot with my service dog, domestically and internationally, but never on a cruise ship. (Only boats she's been on are high-speed ferries and the rides and Friendships at Disney.) The biggest difference, of course, being no land for pottying on a cruise ship!

We'll be going on Royal Caribbean in the spring. I see you haven't gone on them before, but I'll still accept any and all tips from ya. :D

RC's Web site says they provide a 4'x4' box of mulch as a potty spot. It doesn't say where or if they give a grass/turf option. I've written the special needs e-mail address, but never got a response. The TA (group trip) is supposed to be looking into the info. for me, but I hear she may forget about it. I think I will call RC myself.

Since we are seasoned travellers, I don't have questions about basic travelling or flying or anything. The biggest one is the potty box details. The other is an excursion for Cozumel, Mexico (I already know what I'm doing in Key West and can't get off at the other two places, as far as I have read up on via the Internet [technically I could get off at Cayman Islands, but am not about to spend the time and money {couple hundred} just for less than 8 hours there]).

Have you used one of those plastic water bowls that is supposed to keep the water from splashing/spilling out of it? I don't know how well they work and I normally just use the Outward Hound plastic folding travel bowls (the ones that fold up and you could keep the pack of three of them in your pocket), but I figured on a moving boat, it might be worth it to take up luggage space with the non-splashing bowl (I saw one brand with carpet grabbers on the bottom, so think I'll get that one to prevent the bowl itself from sliding/slipping around). I'll still use a folding bowl for food.

Any tips or stories you can post will be great! Thanks! :D

Most cruise lines will put potty box on your balcony. Our first cruise took my dog 36 hours to "go" - after that he was fine but certainly happy to see dry land.

Wizard-of-Roz, thanks for all the helpful information. I am organizing a cruise for the Guide Dogs of Texas (GDTx) in January on RCCL. We have 22 people going so far, including two visually impaired people bringing their guide dogs. The potty box info was especially helpful as that is something people really want to know. I've read that other guests on a cruise would ask the dog's owner where the dog "went " After being told the would take an "excursion" to the potty box to see what it like. As I understand it the guide dog teams will be allowed to preboard and will be given a tour of the ship, to include the potty area. Thanks for the idea of the sign. I'll make one up with the cute saying about butts. :)

I've also requested a room be available each night for an hour for our group to gather and let the dogs run about.

I'm thinking about sending a prepared notice to the Hotel Director on the ship and asking it to be placed in the ship's daily paper. It would say something about visually imparied individuals and their guide dogs being on the ship and asking people not to pet the dogs.

We are going to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico. The dogs cannot enter Jamaica. Someone will stay with the dogs on board while the visually impaired individuals disembark. We have 3 GDTx staff and 4 puppy raisers (minus their puppies) going on the cruise. Guide dog puppies in training aren't allowed to cruise. :(

I believe the dogs will be allowed to get off in Grand Cayman, but I am still working on the exact requirements. I found out that if our ship had gone to Mexico before we went to GC the dogs would not have been allowed to get off in GC. Even if the dogs had not gotten off in Mexico they would not have been allowed off in GC. But we are going to GC first so it will be OK. Mexico should not be a problem for the dogs, but I don't yet know if there are any special paperwork that needs to be done ahead of time. Any info on these two countries. I've contacted their embassies but never heard back from them. I'll try again a little closer to the cruise.

What paperwork did you get from your vet before the cruise? I heard that the paperwork is only good for 10 days. So, for a 7 day cruise the paperwork has to be obtained only a few days before departure so it will still be good to reenter the U.S.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the future. Do you check this site often? Or are you on an email notification. Thanks again for starting this thread.

Mary

Getting into any UK Island/Country is difficult. Including Bahamas and Barbados. http://www.pettravel.com is very helpful with necessary docs

Hey Everyone - looks like Florence is heading right for us here in the Carolinas. We live in the Charlotte area so we are expecting mostly rain and high winds. I hope everyone closer to the coast is heeding the warnings and getting the heck out of there.

My wife is leaving tomorrow for a bus tour in New England, and she suggested I sleep downstairs for a few days in case a tree fell on the house. I replied that I was sure I would be OK sleeping up stairs.

Her reply to that was "I wasn't really worried about you, but Lucy will be sleeping beside you".

Your wife has her priorities straight! Please be safe. Sending out prayers for everyone in Florence’s path.

Dianne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Got another email from Carnival stating they would not put the relief box on the balcony. Do I just go to guest services or ask for the hotel manager when I get on board?

Linda and Halo

Linda, the person in the Special Needs Dept. who is being so difficult with you is also NOT being very helpful. The second you get onboard, go directly to Guest Services, ask for the Hotel Manager and request that the box be placed on your balcony. Please mention me "Roz" who cruised with them this last December for 15 days to Hawaii, with Horton. The box was placed on my balcony prior to my arrival, with absolutely no questions or any concerns being mentioned to me.

Be insistent that they place the box on your balcony, and they leave the bag of litter [so you can refill the box, as needed] and a receptacle for the waste bags or what our Steward did was tie a red, plastic bag to the base of a lounge chair and we would place the solid waste bags in there. He would then remove the bag on a daily basis.

The folks in the Special Needs dept. on land have the capability of emailing the Hotel Manager and making sure that everything is made easier for you but they're reluctant to be assertive. Boggles my mind how it all can be made easier and is not!

Please be safe.....I know you will take care and do the right thing for Lucy but remember she's nothing without you!!!!!

Let us know how you're doing! We're sending our very best wishes your way!

I'll be interested where they put the "litter box", Linda and Halo. We're booked on one of the first Cunard round trip cruises to Alaska in June, 2019.

I also got the standard "it can't be on the balcony" and I think I'm okay with that, provided the relief area is nearby AND accessible to a wheelchair user. We spend a lot of time on the balcony and, while I willingly share all kinds of things with my dog, a balcony pee station may not be #1 on my list! ;)

Most travel done with a dog is usually done by airline and the paperwork can be given in a timely fashion. The Immigration officials are aware that you are traveling by cruise ship and depending on the length of your cruise, the paperwork can be given either earlier or later. They will allow for these time constraints and special allowances will be made for you.

I go to my Vet a week before I cruise, receive the necessary signed paperwork within that week, and make my copies. I can be on the ship anywhere from 10 days to one month and find that Immigration, Agricultural and all other officials are very understanding and easy to deal with in respect to the documents needed [even if the dates are a bit too early or too late.]

Sometimes the officers onboard the ship will become insistent on bringing my dog to meet the necessary officials in the port when we first enter and that means a very early morning phone call to my cabin, and depending on how well I slept the night before, I may ask them to send someone to collect Horton, and his paperwork, and take him for his inspection themselves. I find these early morning disturbances very annoying, at times! The officials want to make sure that the dog onboard is healthy, has the necessary immunizations and is well behaved.

The Port Authorities have the right to NOT allow anyone to disembark at any foreign port if they are displeased by you or your dogs behavior and/or paperwork. That means that YOU AND YOUR DOG can literally hold up everyone's leaving the ship to go on their excursions if they're displeased with you. It's important that your paperwork/dog and you be in good stead!

Water Bowls: I bring Horton's regular water and feed bowls when we cruise. I think there's a certain comfort zone to eat out of the usual bowls while traveling. I don't fill the water bowl as high as I normally do at home [to allow for ship movement.] I place the bowls on the carpeted floor near a corner of the desk and away from foot traffic.

The air onboard a cruise ship can be very dry due to constant air conditioning and can make for some dry mouth, and constant walking from venue to venue can make our dogs thirsty. Make sure that you're allowing him to stay well hydrated. Cruise ships have some of the very best filtration systems. So drinking water from the bathroom sink for your dog is actually very safe.