Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I can’t believe I haven’t checked in for so long. Where has the time gone?

Roz, I used to watch dogs in n my house-dog sitter. I have taken care of all kinds of breeds. The worst shedding ones where the black labs. I have had two yellow labs myself and watched several. The black labs shed 100 times more.

I am taking Halo on his first cruise in November. I know he has to have a vet visit within a few days of leaving. But when should I start on the paperwork?

He is VERY particular about where he potties and will hold it for hours, 12-14 is his longest so far. My husband is so worried he will hold it too long and then relieve himself in the dining areas. I don’t see this happening, he has NEVER just relieved himself. Even when working with him as a puppy, 1 accident in the house and that is all.

Any suggestions?

I love seeing so many people confident with their disability and sd and not giving a **** what others think. Any encouragement would help. I am still so very worried about being a nuisance. My disease went from needing Halo for mobility to needing him for alert and me being with a cane or in a wheelchair. It is my good days and not “looking” disabled that are my hardest being out in public. I have family that even judges me. I get “but your brother is so much worse, he is dying of cancer.” I am no way trying to compete with him and it makes me feel so unworthy of what I need to function just because it isn’t a death sentence.

Do I call the Special Needs for Carnival myself? I have a TA. She doesn’t seem to know anything about SDs.

Linda

I've been told by others that the Black Labs shed more than the others. I just love them so much, I can't imagine having any other dog. Although, I do tell everyone that my next dog is a white Standard Poodle.

You need to call Carnival yourself and find out when they want the paperwork done and make sure that you tell them that you want the potty box on your veranda, if you have one. 800-438-6744 Ext. 7025. Their Special Needs Dept. will have special papers for you to sign and send back. Your Vet will have the required Aphis 7001 form for you. Make sure when you have your Vet visit that he/she fills it out without using any abbreviations.

Where you're cruising to will dictate how much time you will need to have to have the form filled out before embarkation. The UK and Hawaii require a short waiting time and Mexico and South America allow more time.

Getting your dog used to using a potty box is brilliant before cruising. It makes for such an easier travel experience for everyone.

Carnival gave me such a hard time when I went to Hawaii. They wanted to meet with me in the beginning of the cruise to clear all Horton's paperwork [even after we had already given the registration folks a complete set]. I told them they could meet with me and Horton when I had settled in and had some lunch. Believe me, they don't know what they're doing and need good direction in how to make folks who are traveling with a SD comfortable. Make sure they have placed the potty box where you want it in the very beginning. Carnival is very accommodating and they want us to be happy.

Let us know how everything is going and we'll help you through it all.

Horton is having a very difficult time with the fireworks. He's a very sensitive boy. My first dog could have cared less, she was a tough cookie. He's made himself so upset, he's fast asleep now because he's exhausted!

Sometimes when I'm out in public folks will stare at me and Horton [who is acting very professionally, with his CCI Vest on], and, making me feel uncomfortable. They will look me up and down and even ask me, "what does your dog do?" I don't look "handicapped", I'm not blind and I'm standing tall and strong.....what the heck does this dog do? Oh! I must be training him, of course that answers the question, doesn't it?

When people don't stare and seem genuinely interested in Horton and what he does and they ask me about him, I chose "when", I chose "where" and I chose "how" I respond to their inquiries.

I've been known to say, "he's a drug sniffing dog and I'm his handler!" "Please don't get too close with your purse!" I've also said, "he's a bomb sniffing dog, please don't get too close!" I'm also very selective about giving out his real name.

As Barb so aptly stated......who on earth would choose to travel with a needy, shedding, 2 year old who drools and needs constant potty breaks. Of course, me.....because all of the above is so worth it considering the assistance and friendship that I get back. I, personally, do not ever want to go through life without a Service Dog.

Sometimes when I'm out in public folks will stare at me and Horton [who is acting very professionally, with his CCI Vest on], and, making me feel uncomfortable. They will look me up and down and even ask me, "what does your dog do?" I don't look "handicapped", I'm not blind and I'm standing tall and strong.....what the heck does this dog do? Oh! I must be training him, of course that answers the question, doesn't it?

When people don't stare and seem genuinely interested in Horton and what he does and they ask me about him, I chose "when", I chose "where" and I chose "how" I respond to their inquiries.

I've been known to say, "he's a drug sniffing dog and I'm his handler!" "Please don't get too close with your purse!" I've also said, "he's a bomb sniffing dog, please don't get too close!" I'm also very selective about giving out his real name.

As Barb so aptly stated......who on earth would choose to travel with a needy, shedding, 2 year old who drools and needs constant potty breaks. Of course, me.....because all of the above is so worth it considering the assistance and friendship that I get back. I, personally, do not ever want to go through life without a Service Dog.

BOL, BOL, with our indoor voice! (Bark out Loud). Now that is funny. I feel like people are staring at me when I park in the handicap spot, all the time. I feel like telling them that I wear this "turtle shell" back brace because it is so flattering to my figure! Only adds about 20 lbs to the extra 20 lbs that I am already carrying around. Hubby and I are so close to having to take the rollator with us all the time. It's coming sooner rather than later. Right now, we share it, may come a time when we both need one.

Poor Jezzy Lou had a tough time with the fireworks, too. I gave her benedryl and put her thunder shirt on. She still went in the bathroom, tried to get behind the toilet (But sausage girl is a little to svelte to fit back there) and she still sat shaking, panting and drooling. Things would calm down and then some Jack Wagon would let off one of the big booms that shake the house. It had been quiet for a while, I picked her up (Killing my back) and carried outside to go pee and sure enough, big boom. She ran back to the door and scratched it down before I could get it opened. She went under our bed and stayed there for a couple of hours. I hope tonight is not a repeat!

I called Carnival special needs and the lady, very nice, just read me a blurb (that I had already read online) and said I need to take Halo to customer service once I get onboard and they will tell me what they need.

She did not tell me about any Carnival paperwork, I knew there was.

So, I guess I need to call back. Also, we have a balcony. I can tell them to put the box on that before I get on the ship?

I know the Aphis form needs to be filled out. I get that from my vet?

I am just going to the Bahamas, Freeport and Princess Cay.

Halo has two vets, being that we summer in Idaho and winter in Florida. I like the vet in Idaho a lot better. But, since we come back to Florida in October and the cruise is November 25, I am thinking I will have to use the Florida vet. Does anyone know about Bahamas timing?

Halo is just slightly bothered by really loud thunder and fireworks. No pacing, panting, shaking or drooling, just either sits in our lap (85 pounds) or goes to the bedroom (where it is quieter) and takes a nap.

He is my 1st sd, but 7th dog. I have been lucky, none are bothered anymore than just staying close.

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

The pre training to the box is a great idea. I dread the training, but it will be worth it. When I did the “do your business” on command training, it was a battle of wills. I did the every 20 minutes or in the crate, even feedings. 3 days he went 11-14 hours before he would go. First day I texted my trainer, she said he was being stubborn and I needed to just stick with it and be more stubborn. When he finally went the celebration was HUGE.

Linda and Halo

Linda, to enter Bahamian WATERS (let alone get off the ship at a Bahamian port), you need a Bahamian import permit for animals. Go to APHIS to get an application for a permit. I recommend strongly that you get your APHIS-accredited vet to FAX the application to the Bahamas. Often the Bahamian officials "lose" mailed paperwork, but they seem to respond positively to faxes from veterinarians—maybe they think it's more "official." When I went to the Bahamas on HAL with Trooper last March, an uniformed cop stopped me at security and took me to a table, where he asked for the dog's documentation. He riffled through it until he came to the Bahamian import permit, and put his finger on the official Bahamian stamp and said, "This is what I was looking for." The ship's port paper officer later told us that we would not have been allowed aboard without that permit and stamp.

Linda, to enter Bahamian WATERS (let alone get off the ship at a Bahamian port), you need a Bahamian import permit for animals. Go to APHIS to get an application for a permit. I recommend strongly that you get your APHIS-accredited vet to FAX the application to the Bahamas. Often the Bahamian officials "lose" mailed paperwork, but they seem to respond positively to faxes from veterinarians—maybe they think it's more "official." When I went to the Bahamas on HAL with Trooper last March, an uniformed cop stopped me at security and took me to a table, where he asked for the dog's documentation. He riffled through it until he came to the Bahamian import permit, and put his finger on the official Bahamian stamp and said, "This is what I was looking for." The ship's port paper officer later told us that we would not have been allowed aboard without that permit and stamp.

The permit is different than the APHIS?

Yes, a Bahamian import permit and an APHIS Form 7001 are two different and separate things. The former is a document issued by the Bahamas allowing you to bring your dog into the Bahamas, and the latter is a document issued by USDA APHIS attesting to the health of your dog and listing immunizations it has had.

It's been a while since I've posted here. Hope I'm doing this right! Good to see familiar names on the couple pages I've looked back upon.

We had an issue in Nassau. The transportation arranged through the cruise line to Atlantis would not let us on with the dog. We had to go back on the ship to fight it out. Somehow it was our fault that we didn't let the transportation company know. The cruise line had all our paperwork so I don't know what the issue truly was. We ended up taking a taxi back and forth but needed to leave extra time to get back to the ship just in case a taxi driver had an issue with the dog and we had to get another taxi. Luckily we didn't.

We did a dolphin encounter in Freeport. The dog had to wait back away from the dolphins but we tag teamed so it worked out well.

Have you ever gone off the ship in Nassau? Any transportation problems with your dogs? I'm doing a Fundraising cruise for a service dog organization and I know some of them would like to go a few places. I do know a vendor for some service dog friendly excursions, but those don't interest some of the people. Have you been turned down by taxis?

Doing another group with service dogs going to Freeport. There just about EVERYTHING needs transportation somewhere as the port is basically all industrial.

The permit is different than the APHIS?

Yes, the permit is different than the health form. Leave plenty of time to get the permit. As Henry said, you have to have the permit regardless of whether or not you are getting off the ship in the Bahamas.

The fastest way to obtain it seems to be by fax. I initially was unable to get a fax to go through (constant busy signal), but was finally able to fax the application for the permit by downloading a fax app on my iPhone. I received the permit back via fax about three days later.

The Bahamas does not charge the permit/fax fee for service dogs. On my cover sheet, I noted that my dog was a service dog and included my ID card and graduation certificate from CCI as proof.

Dianne

BOL, BOL, with our indoor voice!

Oh! Nancy! Poor little Jezzy.....I know exactly what you're saying about the loud booms and how our dogs are so affected. It just breaks my heart to see them so upset. Thank goodness we have a year before it happens again. There really isn't anything else that upsets Horton like the 4th of July sounds.

And, as far as the folks who have comments or stares to make about where you park....just keep going and ignore them! Life is difficult enough to deal with, we don't need their input into our lives!

Most cruise lines will now allow you to have the potty box placed on your veranda if you insist. Check your veranda when you first arrive onboard and check for the box. If it's not there go directly to Guest Services and tell them what you need. They'll want a copy of your dogs paperwork, make sure you have a copy for them and keep one for yourself [you would have already given the folks at registration one.]

I keep all Horton's paperwork in a separate manila envelope and am ready to hand a copy to anyone who asks.

HAPPY HOT WEEKEND EVERYONE! STAY COOL!!!!

Watch for hot asphalt and concrete when walking your dogs! :*

Where is everyone? 5 days and no posts? Hopefully on vacation or just busy. We have been working very hard to get our house ready to put on the market. It is so stressful. Everything and I mean everything off the counters. Well, I am sorry but we actually still LIVE here. A showing was scheduled, so we all piled in the truck, including Ms. Jezzy Lou. Drove around town, was gone 45 minutes. Came back, no sign of anyone being here. Call Real Estate company and she says "Oh, wait I think we got a message that they cancelled." !!!!!! Comes back on the phone and says "So sorry we didn't let you know, yes they cancelled." :mad: Not really a big deal, but, really? It took 45 minutes out of our time that we could have been doing something else more productive. And now that I am typing this, I feel like a cry baby. If that's the worse that happened to us today, we should feel fortunate. Just annoyed.

Hope everyone is staying nice and cool. Us in Arizona not so much! ;p

Where is everyone? 5 days and no posts? Hopefully on vacation or just busy. We have been working very hard to get our house ready to put on the market. It is so stressful. Everything and I mean everything off the counters. Well, I am sorry but we actually still LIVE here. A showing was scheduled, so we all piled in the truck, including Ms. Jezzy Lou. Drove around town, was gone 45 minutes. Came back, no sign of anyone being here. Call Real Estate company and she says "Oh, wait I think we got a message that they cancelled." !!!!!! Comes back on the phone and says "So sorry we didn't let you know, yes they cancelled." :mad: Not really a big deal, but, really? It took 45 minutes out of our time that we could have been doing something else more productive. And now that I am typing this, I feel like a cry baby. If that's the worse that happened to us today, we should feel fortunate. Just annoyed.

Sorry to hear about Jezzy Lou and the thunder. Rangeley use to go hide in the bathroom too. It was awful.

Where are you moving to? Hopefully somewhere cooler. It was brutal for about a week, now getting 80s. Still hot for me. Going back up to 90s soon [emoji852]️

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I was so happy the other day, I saw a doggy daddy carrying his fur baby so her feet weren't on the hot pavement. I told him thank you for thinking of her. I just think people should be told, good or bad when they take care of their furkids.

You are so right!

I agree with you. How rude to just leave you hanging without a heads-up. Sometimes real estate folks are so pressured to make a living they forget about the right thing to do!

Happy Weekend Everyone!

I've been very busy with retirement "stuff", again, retirement is not for "sissies".

The weather is so disgusting; hot and humid, not my favorite....thank goodness for central air.

Remember: When calling the various cruise lines and requesting something, such as; putting the box on your veranda, they have the capability of emailing the Passenger Services Desk onboard and making all needs and requests by future guests possible.

Cindy,

We are staying in town. Travis only has 3 more years of High School, hate pulling him out now. We are seriously considering a small little house in a cooler area so that we can be "Sun Birds" and get out of this heat in the summers. Crazy, the kids go back to school 8-6-18, ALREADY. Have been busy with Travis Eagle Scout project. Slowly getting it done. What a major undertaking. Not his project so much as the paperwork and getting all the ducks lined in a row. Boy Scouts are a stickler for the paperwork being wordly just right. And rightfully so. It has been an eye opener and Travis has grown so much in the responsibility department and trying to do things that other wise he would have just said "I can't do it". Did you read that in a whiny little tone? LOL.