Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

No joke....Horton pees like a horse.  The use of a piddle pad is not the best idea for him but if his box is not in-place for my upcoming cruise, I will have some pads and artificial turf placed on my veranda.  I will have a large trash bag to dispose of the used pads until a proper box is in place. 

Once, onboard a flight to Paris, we had a stop-over in Washington, DC and a flight attendant took Horton off the plane to the tarmac to pee.  She couldn't believe the amount......and that's with  me holding back on his liquid intake.  He goes potty every few hours and poops every time he pees.  Horton's bathroom habits lend new meaning to the words "high maintenance!" 

May I suggest that the gentleman who thinks the stairwell is not a good idea take a look at the stairwell's in the aft of the Princess ships.  They're huge.  There is no way that a 4x4 box would be in the way of anyone, in an emergency.  There's lots of room for people going up and down without ever encountering the box.  I promise, if I felt it were unsafe or a danger in any way I wouldn't suggest it.  Have we beaten this horse to death yet? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

May I suggest that the gentleman who thinks the stairwell is not a good idea take a look at the stairwell's in the aft of the Princess ships.  They're huge.  There is no way that a 4x4 box would be in the way of anyone, in an emergency.  There's lots of room for people going up and down without ever encountering the box.  I promise, if I felt it were unsafe or a danger in any way I wouldn't suggest it.  Have we beaten this horse to death yet? 

With all due respect, Not done yet.:classic_ohmy: 

Having served on the NFPA Life Safety Code Committee, I can tell one and all that, regardless of anyone's perception that the width of a stairwell, there are no exceptions for storage of anything in a stairwell or a path of exit travel.  They are designed for the expected occupant load and must be maintained free of obstructions.  NFPA and SOLAS agree on that point.  

When I was on the committee, we examined fire reports from across the country to track the causes and to ensure that the fire codes addressed the problem, if any.

I recently reported a local restaurant for storing children's high chairs in the rear exit corridor and right in front of the exit door.  The manager's response when I mentioned it to him was that it was OK since that door is never used.  When the exit was still blocked on my next visit, I stopped at the local fire station on my way home and reported it to the fire captain.  On my next visit the exit was clear.  I cannot, in clear conscience, notice a life safety hazard and not report it to someone in authority.

All this being said, the cruise lines need to find a reasonable and safe way to accommodate service animals in such a manner that do not violate fire and safety regulations.

2 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

For those of us not au courant with the terminology, what do NFPA and SOLAS stand for? Do they have jurisdiction over ships at sea, or is that the Coast Guard’s task? What are the USCG’s fire safety requirements?

Sorry, it was a bit of alphabet soup.

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is an organization that develops national fire safety standard that are then adopted by state and/or local jurisdictions for land-based occupancies.  Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS) is an industry standard adapted by the maritime community and applies to merchant and passenger vessels.   Both are a minimal standard and a local jurisdiction is free to adopt a more stringent standard.  For example, the NFPA standard could require that a dead-end corridor be no more than 75 feet in a fully sprinklered building, but the local jurisdiction could adopt a local standard that states no more than 50 feet. 

NFPA standards are enforced by the local jurisdiction.  To my knowledge, the US Coast Guard inspects vessels for compliance with SOLAS.  

Hope this helps.  

Not to change the subject  :classic_biggrin:........Any suggestions on how to decorate our door for our holiday cruise?  I love to see the creativeness of some folks when it's a holiday cruise.  I'm sure the ship will be decorated for Christmas and, I'd love to hang a stocking or something!

On 11/5/2018 at 3:46 PM, Algebralovr said:

The relief stations in the St. Louis, MO airport are wonderful!  
The one we saw in Phoenix was not bad, but small and stuffy and smelly.

Atlanta was good.  Very similar to STL.

Seattle in May was a piece of turf over some piddle pads.  I was surprised to see that.

Orlando you had to ask for someone to take you, and you went outside.

Columbus, OH is a piddle pad at the bottom of a secure elevator, so you have to get them to take you.  They do, no problem, but piddle pads are not the best solution.

I wish the relief stations on the ships were like the airport ones in the good airports!

the one in Charlotte looks really nice - large artificial grass area with a fire hydrant!

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:14 AM, HenryKisor said:

Oh . . . decorate your DOOR? For a moment there I thought you meant the DOG. Horton would look cute in a Santa hat, though.

Awwww!  The older Horton gets the more handsome he is.  Such a good idea, I'm going to find him a Santa hat!  Thanks for the idea!

OMG!  You can't believe what's going on here in L.A.  We have fires that I haven't seen here EVER!  The fires are all around me.  Today one broke out near the L.A. Zoo, at least 20 miles away from the original outbreak.  They had to remove some birds and monkey's.   The wind is making it impossible to keep the embers from going everywhere! 

In every area that we've lived in there's an outbreak.  Thank goodness, where I live now, there is no fire.  However, all of our major freeways and canyons [except the ones leading to Beverly Hills and downtown] have been closed because they are surrounded by fires.  It looks like something out of the apocalypse movies....250,000 people have been evacuated from their homes.  Malibu will NEVER be the same.  They've release horses onto the beach because they couldn't get them into safety faster. 

First we had to deal with the maniac who killed people in the exact same area where the fire broke out.......too much for the senses that's for sure.  My prayers to all those who had to deal with this and their loved ones.

Take care of each other and hope that our weekend ahead brings us all some peace.

I'm sorry if any of you were affected by what has been going on here and I wish you love.

1 hour ago, Judie said:

These fires must be terrifying.  Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you’re experiencing. Please write more when you can.  Most of all be safe.  

Thank you for your good wishes Judie.  As of right now over 150 homes have been destroyed.  There has been no loss of life.....Thankfully!  The mountains and hillsides involved are full of coyote's, rabbits, snakes, birds, owls, etc.  They showed some sweet, sweet bunnies running for safety.  Most of the homes were on horse property.  I have not heard, except for the horses that were let out onto the beach in Malibu, of any horses that were lost in the fire.

Most of the homes involved are in truly lovely areas of Los Angeles.  They're the bedroom communities of this big city.  Thousand Oaks was named that because of the Oak trees.  Each tree had a number on them so that no one would ever try and cut them down.  We'll be lucky if we can save any of them.  Some of them are a century old.  It's a shame to watch the vegetation and wild life being so negatively effected by these deadly fires.

Typically of California, there are hundreds and hundreds of palm trees everywhere.  Unfortunately palm trees are the worst fire starters.  The cinders that fly off of their prawns and are driven by the winds land on roof tops, in other trees and vegetation creating a cycle of despair.

I can't even imagine what this all is going to look like in the light of day.  This is a wind driven fire......one that is almost impossible to fight by our wonderful firefighters.  We're expected to have high winds again on Sunday.  We truly need a divine intervention.  Enough is Enough!

The videos on the news are so frightening.  This morning they reported Pepperdine Univ was surrounded by flames, but they hadn’t evacuated yet.  I could only assume they felt the students were safer inside.  Omg, I have grandkids in colleges but on east coast.  I just cannot imagine what everyone is going through.

Edited by Judie

Roz, I pulled up Cruise Critic just now to post a message asking if you are okay. I was very relieved to see your update already there... thank you so much for letting us know you and Horton are safe.

It’s just unbelievable to see the news videos of people driving through fire on both sides, literally escaping with their lives. It must be so terrifying to flee like that, not to mention heartbreaking to know you will be losing the home left behind and a lifetime’s worth of collected possessions.

• Like 1

:classic_sad:😢

Roz, 

So glad you and Horty are safe.  This is just craziness.  I really dislike the wind.  It agitates me.  Then add fire on top of it and it is definitely a horrible situation.

One of the guys I went to the Academy with, a gazillion years ago, passed away yesterday.  My heart is broken.  He was a terrific person.  Had a heart attack about a week ago.  Went in for Angioplasty and the Dr. put a stent in the one that was 100% blocked, one with a blood clot. Had one 60% blocked and one ok.  Came out of the surgery for the stent, started the healing process, was getting ready to go home and something happened.  I don't know what.  I am taking this one pretty hard.  Had rekindled our friendship a couple of years ago on Facebook.  He and his wife were a rescue group for Dobermans.  Good people with great big hearts.  

💔

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Roz, stay safe.

I heard there was a good earthquake in that are about an hour ago. 

Linda and Halo

Thankfully, Horton and I are located in an area of safety.  I can see the smoke far off in the distant mountains and yesterday while out and about the shock of what is happening is so visible on everyone's faces.  I walked into Target yesterday and Horton was so welcomed by everyone who was shopping for provisions to keep themselves going while they were living in shelters and with friends and relatives.  So many people wanted to hug and snuggle with him, I totally "got it" and understood the meaning of their out pouring love.

We lived on Woolsey Canyon, in the hills near Calabasas for many years and as of yesterday everyone in that area were evacuated.  The winds have stirred-up again today and again the fires have taken on a new life. 

It is so frightening to see the freeway and street closures in areas that I travel almost daily. 

My heart goes out to all those who have lost their homes and possessions.  All of this before the holidays......too much for the senses, that's for sure!

Unless the earthquake is of a large magnitude it is being completely ignored.....way too much else to be concerned with.

It's so hard to believe that I will be leaving on a 15 day cruise in a few weeks.  It will definitely take some change of thinking for the first couple of days just to get into the vacationing mindset.   I wonder how many empty cabins will be onboard from folks who can't cruise because of the fires.   We'll see.

20 hours ago, Judie said:

The videos on the news are so frightening.  This morning they reported Pepperdine Univ was surrounded by flames, but they hadn’t evacuated yet.  I could only assume they felt the students were safer inside.  Omg, I have grandkids in colleges but on east coast.  I just cannot imagine what everyone is going through.

Because of where Pepperdine is located, to evacuate the students would have been more dangerous than to just have them stay in place.  They were being watched very, very closely.  

The college is surrounded by a highway and roadways that had fire in every direction.  There was no safe escape until they cleared these roads.  When the winds died down and the roads were deemed safe, families were asked to come in and the students that had transportation were allowed to leave.  The Fire Captain was not going to allow these students to head out into danger and I, personally, thought he used the very best judgment for all concerned.  I'm sure it was just so scary to feel trapped.  Although the college is located in an amazingly lovely area [it is surrounded by the Malibu mountains on three sides and the Pacific Ocean on another], it's in a high fire danger area.

21 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Because of where Pepperdine is located, to evacuate the students would have been more dangerous than to just have them stay in place.  They were being watched very, very closely.  

The college is surrounded by a highway and roadways that had fire in every direction.  There was no safe escape until they cleared these roads.  When the winds died down and the roads were deemed safe, families were asked to come in and the students that had transportation were allowed to leave.  The Fire Captain was not going to allow these students to head out into danger and I, personally, thought he used the very best judgment for all concerned.  I'm sure it was just so scary to feel trapped.  Although the college is located in an amazingly lovely area [it is surrounded by the Malibu mountains on three sides and the Pacific Ocean on another], it's in a high fire danger area.

There is a faculty member from Pepperdine who posts on a listserve I'm on.  He was saying that their fire plan was developed in 1993, and that they determined it was safer to shelter in place rather than further clog the roads.  He said that much of the campus, students, faculty and staff, are rather dazed feeling between the shooting at the bar last week and now the fire.  I can't imagine.  My rural Missouri university doesn't even have a full evac policy that I know of.  Right now, they are trying to figure out how to finish out the semester to be sure the students are safe, but also able to advance to the spring term with all they need from this term.  

We have SNOW!!!!!

It started this morning, before 9am, with light flurries, and has snowed most of the day.  I came home mid-morning to work from here the rest of the day.  We've had to take a couple of play breaks.  Using a pink ball, so that it shows up against the fluffy white wet stuff.  I throw, Scooter retrieves.  Repeat.  He has had to dig it out of mounds of snow a few times.  

20181112_123118.jpg