Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

12 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Well, is anybody else booked in 2021 on a cruise? 

Hello, Yes, I am booked on the May 2021 Island Princess Panama Canal cruise from LA (San Pedro) to Ft. Lauderdale. I hope it will be better than leaving from Florida and coming back, which was the way I was booked this year. I live in LA, so we should be able to board here and then fly back the same day we disembark with no hotel stay over in Florida. Also, the dog food should be depleted, so less luggage to cart around. If I'm lucky, I can get a flight straight into Burbank and take Uber from there. I feel a little trepidation and worry somewhat about the return of COVID-19 next spring. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I’m booked for a Panama Canal cruise (Southampton to San Francisco) in early January but I think we’re going to change it to the same cruise in 2022.

Our Vancouver/Vancouver to Alaska in June was cancelled and I’m hesitant to rebook for 2021.

59 minutes ago, kmg365suzyq said:

I have 1 booked for this November, fingers crossed.  I have another one for next April and then my big 65th birthday one for next November.  All in the Caribbean.  I don't like to fly so I just drive to the port.

Wow!  You really are booked.  I totally understand the no fly thing.  I love when cruises leave out of L.A. and return to L.A.  Definitely not easy to find because the cruise lines- do not have a lot to offer out of L.A.  So, when they do we all jump on board and they book-up very quickly.

46 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

I’m booked for a Panama Canal cruise (Southampton to San Francisco) in early January but I think we’re going to change it to the same cruise in 2022.

Our Vancouver/Vancouver to Alaska in June was cancelled and I’m hesitant to rebook for 2021.

I love cruising the Canal.  I especially liked doing it L.A./L.A. [very rare!]

I hope that you get to do your Vancouver cruise.  We don't get to see Vancouver or Victoria on our Alaska cruise in July, 2021.  I was looking forward to returning to Vancouver but it looks like I'm going to have to be happy with Prince Rupert.

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I love cruising the Canal.  I especially liked doing it L.A./L.A. [very rare!]

I hope that you get to do your Vancouver cruise.  We don't get to see Vancouver or Victoria on our Alaska cruise in July, 2021.  I was looking forward to returning to Vancouver but it looks like I'm going to have to be happy with Prince Rupert.

I lived in Vancouver for years (mostly Yaletown in an amazing warehouse conversion that I still miss!) and now we’re on Vancouver Island.  Both places are very visit worthy!

We’re looking into the June 2021 Vancouver/Vancouver cruise.  They do cruises from Victoria - which would eliminate a ferry ride - but only starting in July.  I’d rather be ahead of the summer school closures even though Cunard isn’t usually the first choice for people with children!

On 5/11/2020 at 1:01 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Nancy, I sent this to you when I should have sent it to Cindy.........I'm sure you knew what I did.......You're so nice, you never said anything!!!!!

I knew, either Cindy would say something or it really wasn't an issue.  We are interchangeable, aren't we?  LOL

4 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

I lived in Vancouver for years (mostly Yaletown in an amazing warehouse conversion that I still miss!) and now we’re on Vancouver Island.  Both places are very visit worthy!

We’re looking into the June 2021 Vancouver/Vancouver cruise.  They do cruises from Victoria - which would eliminate a ferry ride - but only starting in July.  I’d rather be ahead of the summer school closures even though Cunard isn’t usually the first choice for people with children!

My darling husband and I took a car ride from L.A. to Vancouver and I must tell you it was one of my most favorite vacations ever.  He actually visited a realtor to look into purchasing property in Vancouver.  It never happened but I know he fell in love with the area as much as I did!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

Our next cruise is over the holidays on Celebrity Constellation out of Tampa.  I’m praying it happens.  I will need it

I hope it happens for you.  Then you can tell us all how the ships are handling all the lines, elevators, and dinner together.

9 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I hope it happens for you.  Then you can tell us all how the ships are handling all the lines, elevators, and dinner together.

I look forward to it.  It is just over 7 months away.  

We've had so much cancelled this year so far.  It is amazing.  We've been lucky in my community, only 3 people have tested positive for COVID, and they have all recovered.  The adjacent county had two more and they have also recovered.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

I look forward to it.  It is just over 7 months away.  

We've had so much cancelled this year so far.  It is amazing.  We've been lucky in my community, only 3 people have tested positive for COVID, and they have all recovered.  The adjacent county had two more and they have also recovered.  

I promise before too long we will be vaccinated against this monster that has killed and sickened so many.

I'm a very social being......this social distancing goes totally against my grain.  I've never talked to myself and my Service Dog so much in my life!!!! 

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I know!  Keith is high risk for this virus so we are definitely clean b and sanitizing everything and everyone.  Not sure a cruise ship is on his horizon. 

Keith's oldest brother died of Covid 19 on Sunday.  He had been in the hospital and released to a rehab.  He had to be taken back to the hospital.  They didn't call his daughter for 5 days to let her know! They called her and told her she needed to get there, like now.  She is an hour and half from the hospital, but she made it.  They let her go in and see him for about 20 minutes.  They had her dress up in basically a "hazmat" suit.  After she came out she was still there and he passed.  He was waiting for his baby girl to come see him.  No excuse for the hospital not calling her.  They said it had been so busy!  Don't care, need to let loved ones know, 5 days is unacceptable!  

So with all that said, I wish the people around our city would take it seriously.  In the paper it said we are the highest number % size in the county for number of those having Covid and deaths! 😮 Smaller population than Phoenix or Tucson, but numbers size higher.  I have limited leaving the house to "have to".  Even have been ordering groceries for pick up.  So far so bood, but wish I could leisurely wonder the store.  I always see things I forgot to put on the list.  

Hope everyone is well and those furkids are fabulous!  💖  

47 minutes ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Keith's oldest brother died of Covid 19 on Sunday.  He had been in the hospital and released to a rehab.  He had to be taken back to the hospital.  They didn't call his daughter for 5 days to let her know! They called her and told her she needed to get there, like now.  She is an hour and half from the hospital, but she made it.  They let her go in and see him for about 20 minutes.  They had her dress up in basically a "hazmat" suit.  After she came out she was still there and he passed.  He was waiting for his baby girl to come see him.  No excuse for the hospital not calling her.  They said it had been so busy!  Don't care, need to let loved ones know, 5 days is unacceptable!  

So with all that said, I wish the people around our city would take it seriously.  In the paper it said we are the highest number % size in the county for number of those having Covid and deaths! 😮 Smaller population than Phoenix or Tucson, but numbers size higher.  I have limited leaving the house to "have to".  Even have been ordering groceries for pick up.  So far so bood, but wish I could leisurely wonder the store.  I always see things I forgot to put on the list.  

Hope everyone is well and those furkids are fabulous!  💖  

Oh! No!  I'm so sorry about Keith's  brother.  It's so sad.  Take care of you and each other!

• Like 1

Halo, almost 5, lab/great dane, seems to be getting stiff in the hips after he plays hard.  He had x-rays at 6 months on his hips and they were great and he was approved to do service dog work.  I will make an appointment to have more x-rays taken and see what his status is now.

However, I was wondering what people on here recommend for supplements.

I have a cruise scheduled for late September, a B2B, out of Miami.  I booked it almost a year ago.  Will be interesting to see if it is a go and if I feel comfortable to go on it.  Riki, my daughter, is supposed to be my cabin mate.  As she just graduated college and is now in the "adult" working field, we will have to see about her getting off the time.

Since it is so expensive here in Idaho and we own 1 acre and Riki wants this house to raise her kids in, we are researching doing a mother in law house on the property.  Riki loved the idea and it is looks like it might work.  We would stay in the big house until she started a family or up to 10 years.  Rent it to her and then switch.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

My service dog Bella is an English lab. We have her on cosequin daily. She also gets plain yogurt and pumpkin daily. Every few days she gets Fortiflora. She has some digestive issues that result in loose stools, hence all the supplements. My other 2 dogs also get the cosequin. Sasha our 2.5yrold mutt developed a luxating patella  at 19 months. The vet said to try cosquin. If that did not work she would have needed a $5000 surgery. After 10 days on cosequin she was cured. I swear by that stuff. 

We are not cruising this year and are not sure when we will again. We were supposed to leave for Las Vegas on Saturday and spend a week doing national parks including the Grand Canyon. We have cancled that trip and gotten a refund for everything. We are still booked on a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier national parks in September. It will be Bellas first time flying. 

I am more worried about flying then any other form of travel. Right now they are talking about a sterilizing tunnel of mist that you have to walk through. Dogs don’t understand misting chemicals. Or having your dog wear a mask on a flight. One report said they could draw blood. That would make me crazy to have amateurs try to get blood from me or my dog. I hope someone tells us about their air travel. For now I plan to take a train to our late fall cruise. 

1 hour ago, rpclmc said:

Halo, almost 5, lab/great dane, seems to be getting stiff in the hips after he plays hard.  He had x-rays at 6 months on his hips and they were great and he was approved to do service dog work.  I will make an appointment to have more x-rays taken and see what his status is now.

However, I was wondering what people on here recommend for supplements.

I have a cruise scheduled for late September, a B2B, out of Miami.  I booked it almost a year ago.  Will be interesting to see if it is a go and if I feel comfortable to go on it.  Riki, my daughter, is supposed to be my cabin mate.  As she just graduated college and is now in the "adult" working field, we will have to see about her getting off the time.

Since it is so expensive here in Idaho and we own 1 acre and Riki wants this house to raise her kids in, we are researching doing a mother in law house on the property.  Riki loved the idea and it is looks like it might work.  We would stay in the big house until she started a family or up to 10 years.  Rent it to her and then switch.

Linda and Halo

Horton's on chewables; Max Triple Strength Glucoscamine/Chondroitin but as of lately, it appears he's having some sort of back or hip issues.....he has a doctor's appoinment on Friday, we'll see what the doctor says.

I'm making very light of this because I don't face health issues with Horton very well.  I adore this dog and the fact that he's aging and may not be able to work with me makes me more than crazy, it actually sickens me.

Change of subject;  I can't even imagine what the changes will be in cruising in a few months.  Actually, I can't imagine cruising without Horton!

46 minutes ago, lindaler said:

I am more worried about flying then any other form of travel. Right now they are talking about a sterilizing tunnel of mist that you have to walk through. Dogs don’t understand misting chemicals. Or having your dog wear a mask on a flight. One report said they could draw blood. That would make me crazy to have amateurs try to get blood from me or my dog. I hope someone tells us about their air travel. For now I plan to take a train to our late fall cruise. 

I don't blame you for worrying about flying.

Dogs cool down their bodies by breathing through their mouths and noses.  Wearing a mask is not doable for a dog!

1 hour ago, springredheadsdd said:

My service dog Bella is an English lab. We have her on cosequin daily. She also gets plain yogurt and pumpkin daily. Every few days she gets Fortiflora. She has some digestive issues that result in loose stools, hence all the supplements. My other 2 dogs also get the cosequin. Sasha our 2.5yrold mutt developed a luxating patella  at 19 months. The vet said to try cosquin. If that did not work she would have needed a $5000 surgery. After 10 days on cosequin she was cured. I swear by that stuff. 

We are not cruising this year and are not sure when we will again. We were supposed to leave for Las Vegas on Saturday and spend a week doing national parks including the Grand Canyon. We have cancled that trip and gotten a refund for everything. We are still booked on a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier national parks in September. It will be Bellas first time flying. 

Horton has started some issues with his back and hips and it's worrying me to death!  Poor guy just looks miserable and doesn't want to get up and down.  He's breaking my heart to watch him in pain.

Vet visit on Friday will tell all!

1 hour ago, springredheadsdd said:

Horton has started some issues with his back and hips and it's worrying me to death!  Poor guy just looks miserable and doesn't want to get up and down.  He's breaking my heart to watch him in pain.

Vet visit on Friday will tell all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Keep us posted after the vet visit, Roz. My vet said there are injections that can help (pricey, of course). So far, Raylene’s doing surprisingly well with more Cosequin and fish oil, plus the addition of turmeric capsules. Her limping went away completely.

Thanks for asking Chris.  The Vet visit was moved to Thursday because Horton stopped eating, and all body functions.  He couldn't get up and down, would pant heavily and he looked like he was in so much pain.  Talk about the fear of God put into me.

I called the Mobile Vet, Dr. Chris Cauble.   He came to me on an emergency visit and did a complete exam.  He comes with an assistant who charts everything and starts preparing meds as he's speaking.  He said Horton's heart was beating strongly and his lungs were clear.  Thank goodness!  After a thorough exam he decided that Horton had suffered a collapsed disc in his lower spine [just by palpation and rotation of his legs] and that the pain was causing him so much distress he was physically shutting down.  Every time he attempted to move he would start panting, it scared me to death.

He gave Horton a vitamin injection, a steroid injection and an antibiotic.  He started him on oral pain meds, Amoxicillin, Gilycoflex, specifically for joint [he'll stay on this].  And left me with appetite stimulants in case he shuts down again.

He drew blood and as long as his blood panels are good it looks like Horton injured his spine and is suffering with arthritis and a possible infection in his spine.  We'll know more about that after the blood work.

Today he's walking much more normal, getting up and down easier and is acting more like himself.  I, of course, have aged about 10 years.

I can't say enough about this Mobile Vet, he is and always will be a true hero to me.  He and his assistant Claudia took care of Horton like he was their very own.  I am so grateful.  

I wish you all a good weekend, I know I plan on spending mine with my wonderful Horton - THANK YOU DR. CHRIS.

• Like 1

OMD, Roz.  My heart stopped beating.  Big ole Horty no more scares!  I just can't even imagine it.  I have no words, except I love you Roz and Horty.  Have some nice quiet time and rest that back, baby boy.  No wonder he didn't want to get in the truck.  It's a good thing we are quarantined and you weren't going out all that much.  Or, heaven forbid you were on a cruise.   HUGE healing vibes for you guys. 🐾💗💖🌵