Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Alkaline water can be very harmful for anyone with kidney disease.  Please don’t drink alkaline water long term without talking to your doctor or the vet. 

Mornin' all:  

Roz, I hope you found something that Horton likes to eat.  Jezzy loves her cheese, but don't let her have a lot.  Maybe Horton would nibble on that.  Peanut Butter is another one.  Jezzy  has one of the store bought chew bones that had the bone marrow in the center.  After that was all gone, I put Peanut Butter in each end.  Now when she hears the jar open, she come running.  Hugs and Prayers to Momma and Horton. 💖🐾

16 hours ago, MrPAWS said:

Does anyone have experience with traveling with oxygen.  We have traveled and cruised for years with our service dog - first Snow, then Shadow.  This we have down pat.  But now my husband is on oxygen 24/7 and one more cruise would be wonderful.  We know we have to travel to and from the same port and one we can drive to, i.e. LA because he cannot fly.  We have our eyes on the Carnival Panorama.  Does anyone have tips for protecting machines while embarking and debarking.  Or anything else we might need to know.  We are taking 3 machines and renting one to be in the cabin.  Thanks to all.

Such a beautiful dog!

I have witnessed many people onboard cruises with oxygen.  It is very common.  I'm sure that the cruise line will inform you of all rules and regulations in regard to the use and safety thereof.  

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Mornin' all:  

Roz, I hope you found something that Horton likes to eat.  Jezzy loves her cheese, but don't let her have a lot.  Maybe Horton would nibble on that.  Peanut Butter is another one.  Jezzy  has one of the store bought chew bones that had the bone marrow in the center.  After that was all gone, I put Peanut Butter in each end.  Now when she hears the jar open, she come running.  Hugs and Prayers to Momma and Horton. 💖🐾

One of Horton's favorite foods is peanut butter, now, not so much.  Today, he will eat nothing.  I have a molasses type paste that I must squirt into his mouth when he refuses to eat just to give him some vitamin supplements and to encourage gastric juices to flow and maybe some encouragement to eat & drink.  It did encourage him to drink but he still won't eat.

He just wants to go to the bedroom and sleep.  This is very tough to witness, I must say!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrPAWS said:

When my Shadow was having a terrible time my Trainer friend suggested Sojo's - I order from Chewy, but you can buy from a boutique pet store.  You can also buy small bags to try and see if your dog will like it.  It solved his intestinal issues totally.  Also totally natural - just add water.  7 lb bag makes into 40 lbs of food - GREAT for traveling.

ALSO - you'll think I'm crazy BUT - give him Alkaline water to drink.  We have it delivered.  Cancer cannot live in an alkaline environment.  You can research this on uTube.  Fixed my husband's seizures and his cancer has not returned.  Couldn't hurt.

Good luck and blessings.

I have tried every type of food.....Horton is not interested.  

A friend who had a dog with Cushings Disease told me that Horton's behavior, in terms of listlessness and no appetite is exactly what her dog went through.  It's just so, so difficult to watch.  

12 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Today, he will eat nothing.

Are you comfortable giving shots?  In the livestock industry (I'm a farmer) we use injectable Fortified Vitamin B Complex when an animal is anorexic.  It is very safe (for most conditions - check with your vet in regards to Cushings).  Because it is a vitamin, any excess is excreted out in the urine.  You can give it subcutaneously (under the skin) like many vaccines, or intramuscularly (into the muscle) like most antibiotics.  We give it to critters whenever they feel blah - 2x/day for as long as it takes to get them perked back up and eating again.  You should be able to pick up a bottle (it's pretty inexpensive too!) at a local feed store.  Ask your vet for a dosage if this is an option for you.  I give my 850 pound cow 20ml twice a day, and our 150 pound goats around 5ml twice a day.  If I were giving it to my 95 pound dog, I would probably give 5ml twice a day; like I said, it's pretty safe, so under normal circumstances, it's difficult to overdose.  I hope Horty feels better soon! 😘

8 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Are you comfortable giving shots?  In the livestock industry (I'm a farmer) we use injectable Fortified Vitamin B Complex when an animal is anorexic.  It is very safe (for most conditions - check with your vet in regards to Cushings).  Because it is a vitamin, any excess is excreted out in the urine.  You can give it subcutaneously (under the skin) like many vaccines, or intramuscularly (into the muscle) like most antibiotics.  We give it to critters whenever they feel blah - 2x/day for as long as it takes to get them perked back up and eating again.  You should be able to pick up a bottle (it's pretty inexpensive too!) at a local feed store.  Ask your vet for a dosage if this is an option for you.  I give my 850 pound cow 20ml twice a day, and our 150 pound goats around 5ml twice a day.  If I were giving it to my 95 pound dog, I would probably give 5ml twice a day; like I said, it's pretty safe, so under normal circumstances, it's difficult to overdose.  I hope Horty feels better soon! 😘

Thank you for this wonderful information......YOU are my hero for today.  The Vet has been giving Horton Vitamin injections and gave me a molasses substance to squirt into Horty's mouth to encourage him to eat.  It works on a short-term basis and then he goes off to the bedroom and wants to be left alone.  The depression that comes with this illness is difficult to witness.

His med's will be coming on Thursday, it's a liquid [because Horton refuses to take pills and will segregate them out of anything I give him].  Just when I think I've given him his pills, I'll walk back into the room and find a pill in the corner or in his bed, it's so frustrating.  Being able to actually drop the med's down his throat with a dropper is perfect!  This is an expensive disease but if these med's make him feel better, it's something I need to do!

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Hugs Roz, I wish there was something we could do to help.  I hope the doctor has some  insight today.  💖🐾

Med's coming on Thursday.  Hopefully, it will help Horton's system to head in the right direction of a better life!

• Like 3

Wishing all of you a happy weekend.

Horton is hanging in there and actually having some playful and positive moments.  I've introduced hot dogs, bacon, hard boiled and scrambled eggs, cheese, peanut butter, cottage cheese and graham crackers to his diet. He has changed his mind and will eat them for now.   He's on thyroid meds, cushing's med's, and pro-biotics sprinkled on his food.  I told you I'd do whatever it takes to give Horty more life [as long as it's pain-free] and he actually seems happier now to live it.  I had contemplated giving him vitamin injections but he turned the corner on eating, as long as the meals are small and some sort of egg is in them!

The Vet said that Cushing's dogs can actually become anorexic and simply refuse to eat.  I'm thrilled when Horty eats something and will try anything and everything to entice him.  He used to love vegetables and now will not eat any, he also liked fruit and now refuses all....I tried sweet potatoes this morning and he just pushed them aside.  He doesn't like pumpkin either.  It's a guessing game and as long as he's willing to try, so will I.  Soon my freezer will look like a commercial store!!  I hate to throw away food but eventually, unless I have a huge party, I will have to discard some of it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Soon my freezer will look like a commercial store!!  I hate to throw away food but eventually, unless I have a huge party, I will have to discard some of it!

Roz, you are taking such good care of Horton. I would become a gourmet dog chef if I had to!

Roz I'm so happy to hear that Horton is feeling a little better! 🥰

My little Mila was spayed on Thursday so she's a little off. She pretty much slept all day yesterday. She's at my parent's house today while I'm at work and they are trying hard to keep her calm! She's even had a sedative today but it doesn't seem to be stopping her. I'm hoping she sleeps well tonight. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

Roz, you are taking such good care of Horton. I would become a gourmet dog chef if I had to!

I made bacon and eggs for breakfast, something I would never make for myself, or for him.  He loves it.  I sprinkle some probiotic's on it and he takes a thyroid pill.  He'll have his Cushing's med's with his dinner.  It's a liquid, with a chicken flavor.  He doesn't seem to mind it at all.  Other than it being very expensive, it must be kept refrigerated and given with his food, it didn't seem to have any adverse reaction!

Horton still wants to work.  If I drop something he sits up, looks at it and comes over to pick it up.  If someone comes to the door he immediately alerts me, until I tell him "release".  His work ethic is so strong and although CCI is retiring him, he still wants to do something and I love every minute of it!

He definitely sleeps more and wants to simply lay down and watch what's going on rather than engage all the time but he's so much less upset and sad than he was a few weeks ago.  And, he's not having bouts of throwing up or tummy upset.  It's been a long and arduous journey for my boy and me, and, although I am exhausted, I am so happy to see him in a calmer less agitated state.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mabbiez said:

Roz I'm so happy to hear that Horton is feeling a little better! 🥰

My little Mila was spayed on Thursday so she's a little off. She pretty much slept all day yesterday. She's at my parent's house today while I'm at work and they are trying hard to keep her calm! She's even had a sedative today but it doesn't seem to be stopping her. I'm hoping she sleeps well tonight. 

I hope that Mila's recovery from her surgery goes well.  She'll be such a happier girl without all the hormones running through her system.  Her life will be better.

I hope I can get this picture to post.  It’s of “my” boy with his new Dad.  It warms my heart that he looks so happy, comfy and content.  He has been traveling, going to the river  working on his obedience and doing great!image.thumb.jpeg.db3311785cac763a7e3e5b5302808223.jpeg

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Add verbiage
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

I hope I can get this picture to post.  It’s of “my” boy with his new Dad.  It warms my heart that he looks so happy, comfy and content.  He has been traveling, going to the river  working on his obedience and doing great!image.thumb.jpeg.db3311785cac763a7e3e5b5302808223.jpeg

He looks calm and settled........you did the right thing!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Roz, I don't know if you heard Karen Mays (Sunshine), her husband Rich passed away.  😿.  Such a sweet lady and her boy Chesney was always by his daddy 's side when he was able to be at home.

Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear of Rich's passing.  Karen is the person I cruised with after I put out an invitation on our thread for someone to cruise with me.  We had a wonderful time together, with Brenda.

I will try and reach out to her to send my condolences.  Thank you for letting me know. 

Happy, Healthy Weekend Everyone. 

Horton is doing better.  He's taking his med's, he's eating [albeit a weird diet] but he's eating three meals a day and is doing the "Horty Dance" when I finish preparing it and am putting his dish down-It seems that all four paws leave the ground and he practically pushes me out of the way.........What a joy to see him excited about his meals. 

My thanks go out to Dr. Chris Cauble-the Mobile Vet, who worked very hard to diagnose and treat my wonderful boy.  Remember, it all happened during a "lock-down" where everyone had to wear a mask, social distance and we were all secluded in our homes.

Thank you to all of you who have supported me through these scary and grueling days of treating Horton Jeffrey.  You helped to give me the strength and and energy that I so needed to face my fears.  

He's different in his energy level but he loves his meals, [I'm a good cook], is willing to walk a bit, sleeps better and has playful moments.  

I have lots of Ukanuba Senior Kibble that Horton will no longer eat.  I'm going to donate it to the shelter in my area.  If any of you would like to come by and pick it up from me please let me know through this thread.

Again, I appreciate you all so much for your support and love❣️

• Like 2

Roz, I am so glad Horton is doing better, eating mommy's good food!  Do you give him a menu and let him pick what he wants?  I can just see him with his glasses on, looking over the menu and pointing to what he wants, dropping the menu to the floor and running off to play and wait for his meal!  Sweet boy. ❤️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Roz, I am so glad Horton is doing better, eating mommy's good food!  Do you give him a menu and let him pick what he wants?  I can just see him with his glasses on, looking over the menu and pointing to what he wants, dropping the menu to the floor and running off to play and wait for his meal!  Sweet boy. ❤️

Nancy, it's definitely a book, and so worth reading.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY EVERYONE!