No smoking Fleetwide

] For a fact, Regent was under no pressure to go this route. There might be pending legislation, but the tobacco lobbyists will not allow passage, as of this time. ........... as long as government does not consider smoking illegal,

First, Regent has been under a lot of pressure from it guests, but according to Mr. Conroy they were afraid to "alienate" their (approximately) 15% of smokers by instituting a complete ban, so Regent has been accommodating to the smoking market.

Second, The pending laws which I referred to under SOLA convention are more under the UN and EU influence. This goes back to the "flags of convenience" issue. There are very few US flag ships. The controlling UN and EU States, if anything, want to stick it to the US Tobacco interests. The ball may have got rolling in California, but look how EU has picked it up. I mean no smoking in an Irish pub is a lot further along the slippery slope than what Regent is doing. There is even talk this week in Egypt about smoking bans.

Like it or not smokers are now the pariah of society.

j

Like it or not smokers are now the pariah of society.

j

Aaahhh but soon there will be anoterh pariah and it might affect some of those that are now gleefully celebrating the restrictions.

As for the pressure...as I said before, it existed in many forms and anyone who says it didn't isdelusional or drunk, or both.

France will also be going non-smoking in restaurants and bars this November joining a list of Europen countries changing their smoking policies. We were just in Brussels and the restaurants were non-smoking there.

Sheila

I think there have been many compelling arguments, both for and against, Regents decision to eliminate smoking in certain areas. I personally have enjoyed the debate, but believe we will be beating a dead horse. Those for and against are very set in their personal decision, so there is no use in keeping this thread alive. It is now being closed.

Host Dan

Archived