Painted Toes or Not???

I also like the toenail to be trimmed very short which eliminates the french manicure look.

I have to keep mine trimmed short because of my running. Toenails that are too long can get injured by the repeated banging against the toebox of the shoe (and this is not because the shoe is too small either) and will bruise and eventually fall off. I've lost one, and it takes way too long to grow back (about 8 months) so I don't plan on losing another one!!!

On my nails I like sheers and nudes (my favourite is OPI Malaysian Mist), but on toes I love COLOUR! Today my toes are a bright coral - OPI Cajun Shrimp.

I've never used Vics on my feet, but I do the same thing with Vaseline at night. Slather up my feet, wrap in plastic wrap, then slip on socks. The plastic wrap keeps the goop from getting all over my socks and bed, and really allows the stuff to penetrate. After showering it off in the morning and drying well, I use my foot file. Do this for a couple days and your feet will be transformed -- no more icky feet with cracked heels!

Unpainted toes seem "naked" to me. I even kept them painted when I was pregnant. My OB was amazed that I could reach my toes! Back then pedi's weren't' at all popular like they are today and I always did them myself.

I have a salon pedi to celebrate spring and toe freedom, and then do my own through the summer unless there is something special going on. I have had jewels put on them once. I also like darker mauves, reds, etc. I have used the vasaline and sock method to keep them smooth.

I do give my toes a rest during the winter months and don't paint them since they are covered up in wool socks!:rolleyes:

I had problems with fungus last summer and did the hydrogen peroxide thing. It DOES work. I just applied it with a q-tip a couple times a day. It has finally grown all the way out and is a nice healthy nail. I chose that method over the Vicks because I had read that although the Vicks gets rid of the fungus, it can turn your nail dark.

Before the fungus, I kept my toenails painted all the time. But I think the fact that my nails could never "breathe" contributed to the fungus problem. I've been trying to let them be nice and healthy....and no polish. It's very hard to get used to, and after reading this thread, I'm thinking it might be gross looking and I'd better go back to polishing them! :D Especially during sandal season.

I love to keep my toenails painted and a good pedicure is one of the treats I give myself once a month. In fact, I'm going on Friday. The current color I'm using is OPI "Strawberry Margarita",a very bright pinkish coral that looks very summery. I take my own bottle of polish when I get a pedi so that I can do my own touchups. I'm already planning on having a pedicure the day before I leave for my cruise.

I

Before the fungus, I kept my toenails painted all the time. But I think the fact that my nails could never "breathe" contributed to the fungus problem. I've been trying to let them be nice and healthy....and no polish. It's very hard to get used to, and after reading this thread, I'm thinking it might be gross looking and I'd better go back to polishing them!

Nothing "gross" about natural nails. In fact I think it's better to leave off the polish once in a while - nails will turn yellowish and get weaker if you don't let them breathe occasionally!! My fingernails are usually natural anyway...I just don't have the time to worry about the polish...natural works better for me most of the time I do so much yardwork and the dirt and water is heck on polish. I do keep my nails in shape though...they are just usually bare.

I have never had any designs on my nails but what a cute idea! Do they paint the daisy on? My puppys name is Daisy so I find that extra cute!!

Yes, it is painted on. They can paint a variety of flowers, this time I have a more Hawaiian looking flower on each big toe. I also like to get a row of sparkles put on where the cuticle is, but still on the nail. However, I don't do flowers and sparkles at the same time, unless they put one sparkle in the middle of the flower. Does that make sense???:)

Nothing "gross" about natural nails. In fact I think it's better to leave off the polish once in a while - nails will turn yellowish and get weaker if you don't let them breathe occasionally!! My fingernails are usually natural anyway...I just don't have the time to worry about the polish...natural works better for me most of the time I do so much yardwork and the dirt and water is heck on polish. I do keep my nails in shape though...they are just usually bare.

I don't usually paint my fingernails, the feeling of the paint on them annoys me. I know that is kind of strange, not to mention I can't even make it out of the salon w/out chipping or scraping one of my nails. I only paint them for a special event, like if I am in a wedding, otherwise it is natural for me. My feet on the otherhand, always painted, unless it is winter in which case you can't see my feet in my Ugg boots.:D

...Vick's works great for nasty toes - like yellowed from fungus. I had one that was turning yellow and was looking at a prescription in a magazine. ...Before I asked my doctor I saw in another magazine to apply Vicks. I bought the cheaper brand at WalMart, applying it 2 - 3 times a day and WOW! It worked - it took a little while but the outcome was fantastic, with no side effects.

I have the same problem. I have a perscription that I paint onto my nail. Dr said it would take about 8 months to be better. I suppose it has to do with the growth rate of the nail. When I run out I am going to try Vicks.

Painted toes too. Right now I am wearing a deep red (OPI, can't remember the name)on my toes and clear on my nails.

I like a deep read OPI. I can never remember the name of the color (I think it is 'Big City Red') but I tell people it is called 'Ho Red'.

Could you tell me where I might purchas this? My husband would love to give this a try.

If you're talking about OPI nail polish, I buy mine at Trade Secret. And it is also sold in other salons...not all of them.

Always, I don't think I've gone without toenail polish in over 35 years.

One of my "treats" to myself is getting pedicures, year round. In the winter I can go 5-6 weeks, summer I set appointments up for every 3 weeks.

Same here!

Though, I don't think a pedi is a treat. I hate having them. Can't stand people poking my toes and filing my nails. It's about as enjoyable as a trip to the dentist for me. But I do it because unpedicured feet are just....ugh! So, I think it's a grooming necessity, not a luxury. Though color is optional. But a shade of clear polish is nice for those who prefer no color on their toenails.

I use OPI's Kennebunkport, which is a medium/deep red.

Count me in for the always polished group. I live in Cali so I pretty much can wear open toed shoes year round. I feel naked without some color on them! I had foot surgery a few weeks ago and the hospital made me remove my polish so I've been bare toed for a few weeks now. I can't stand it! My doctor removed my stitches today and recommended a pedicure to help with the dry skin since the foot has been bandaged up for a few weeks. I'll be getting one this weekend--doctor's orders!! That strawberry margarita color sounds fun!!

Living in Texas, I am one of the ones that can wear sandals a long time. I agree, manicured mails look so much nicer than plain ones, to me anyway. My daughter and I go about every two weeks, I think I am overdue...LOL. OPI lasts longer, because it is lacquer, not just nail enamel. It lasts longer on natural nails....or so I was told at the Red Door salon, the one time my kids splurged for me. :)

Favorite OPI color of all time for me is I'm Not Really A Waitress. Who names this stuff, I want that job!!!

Unpainted toes seem "naked" to me. I even kept them painted when I was pregnant. My OB was amazed that I could reach my toes! Back then pedi's weren't' at all popular like they are today and I always did them myself.

When weren't pedicures popular? I've been having them done since the early 1980s when I was in high school and even back then everyone I knew was having pedicures done. Nail tips and silk wraps were hugely popular in the 1980s.

I've mainly wore red since I was about 15 except for a few pedicures last summer when I went black. I really liked that look and it really didn't look goth!

Every once in a while I'll go with clear on my pedicure just because it is a huge change for me.

Happysinglemom, thanks for your reply earlier.:) I wasn't going to

reply but what the hell......

No I don't get pedicures or manicures.

I keep my toes clipped and clean and yes I live in Florida and

wear sandals alot.

Whether it has been "in" forever or not I don't know and to be

honest it doesn't bother me in the least if someone doesn't

do pedicures. Bother me? I don't ever think about it.....but that

is just me.

I do understand I am in the minority on this topic. Oh well,

as I am on many subjects....que sera, sera.

When weren't pedicures popular? I've been having them done since the early 1980s when I was in high school and even back then everyone I knew was having pedicures done. Nail tips and silk wraps were hugely popular in the 1980s.

Maybe where you live, but not in the 70's in small town Iowa. That is when I was in HS. I don't remember the salons offering all the services in the 70's and 80's they have since the 90's.

In the 80-'s I was too busy with toddlers to bother!

Archived