Port or Starboard ?

fnlvincpl

We are in the process of booking the cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona in April 2008. Am wondering if it makes a difference to be on port or starboard side. We can get either room 522 or 623 on Silver Cloud. Also any thoughts on whether deck 5 or 6 is better ?

This is our first SS cruise and we can't wait. Thank you

We are in the process of booking the cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona in April 2008. Am wondering if it makes a difference to be on port or starboard side. We can get either room 522 or 623 on Silver Cloud. Also any thoughts on whether deck 5 or 6 is better ?

This is our first SS cruise and we can't wait. Thank you

in making the decision between port and starboard, look at a map or chart of your cruise and pick the side that is most frequently closest to shore. you will see more land sites that way. if they are about even, decide which way you like to be in bed...with your view towards or away from the direction the ship is traveling in. do you want to see where you are going or where you have been?

we prefer deck six over deck 5 if they are both sort of midships as yours are. but that is a matter of personal preference.

Personally, we like to be on the sunrise side of the ship. Mu hubby likes to nap in the afternoon and the sunsetside of the ship tends to make the suite too warm...especially on the Wind and the Cloud since the A/C is not always fully functional. Either side...enjoy!

I like port side because I like watching the maneuvers in and out of port from my balcony. Ships prefer to dock with port side to land, so I get a good view of the people catching/releasing the ropes, bands greeting the ship, etc...

Thank you for the responses. It is hard to tell from the maps if one approaches the various stops from which side. i.e whether the ports are on the north or south etc. Bottom line it does not appear to matter that much, if it did there would probably be a premium on that side.

We are just going to look forward to the trip.

Thank you for the responses. It is hard to tell from the maps if one approaches the various stops from which side. i.e whether the ports are on the north or south etc. Bottom line it does not appear to matter that much, if it did there would probably be a premium on that side.

We are just going to look forward to the trip.

If it is not a situation where you are "hugging a coast" then there would be no difference between sides while enroute, but there IS a difference when in port.

There are more openings for bunkering, loading supplies, etc... on port side - and therefore ships prefer to have this side towards the dock. Ships also prefer to be facing out towards the harbor should a "quick getaway" be needed (perhaps a vestige from the past?) Thus, you will more often be towards dockside if you have a port cabin. Nothing is guaranteed, all plans can be -and often are- changed.

I have responded to this type of question in the past. We have been on many Silversea cruises, and I agree with your first responder. Pick the side which is facing shore most of the time. As to docking, we have been on the dock side about half the time, no big deal with respect to side. Most times we have been starboard, but our last back to back in Europe it was port because of the route south from the Baltic to the Med. Lucked out in 2000 New Zealand when the Cloud went to the America's Cup course and our starboard veranda faced the action! No matter which side you're on, you'll love it!

Sorry, forgot your other question: We prefer deck 6.

Archived