Juneau Flight Seeing Options

Jodydavis

Hi all,

Looking for help with flight-seeing options in Juneau. Any suggestions for good tour operators, whether floatplane or helicopter? I'm really most interested in seeing some dramatic scenery. (Therefore not as interested in the dog-sledding). Thanks in advance!

Joe.

We did the floatplane to Taku Lodge and it was wonderful! We flew over the Juneau icefields and landed on the Taku River across from the Hole-in-the-wall Glacier. Then we had a delicious salmon bake in the lodge. A bear came and cleaned up the grill. Then we flew back to Juneau. In our 2 trips to Alaska, this was our favorite excursion. We booked through the ship but I think you can book independently unless the ships have booked all the seats. I highly recommend this excursion. You can see what we saw in my pictures at the link below.

My preference is a glacier helicopter landing over Taku Lodge, have done both.

I've flown Coastal, TEMSCO and ERA.

Hello Budget Queen, I see you have a lot of experience on the Alaska cruises. Can you tell me about differences between the 3 helicopter trips out of Juneau? I am thinking of booking a family of 4 and would like the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for any help:)

Remember too, about weather and check what kind of guarantee or refunds an operation might offer. When we were in Juneau last month, considered less of a rainy time, the cloud ceiling was so low that we were thankful that we did not book an expensive flight excursion and opted for the whale watch.

We just returned from a helicopter trip with coastal and landed on Herbert glacier. Excellent trip. Once in a lifetime experience. We waited until we got into Juneau so that we could check on the weather. It was a clear sunny day and we just walked up to a counter booked and went straight away. no wait. Cost was $199 and worth every penny.

Hi all,

Looking for help with flight-seeing options in Juneau. Any suggestions for good tour operators, whether floatplane or helicopter? I'm really most interested in seeing some dramatic scenery. (Therefore not as interested in the dog-sledding). Thanks in advance!

Joe.

Last year we did the Taku Lodge Flight & Feast and had a great time. Looking at Judy North's pictures is what prompted us to look into and book this excursion in 2006.

Even though our weather was not nearly as great as Judy's, we still highly recommend Taku Lodge Flight & Feast!

Last year we did the Taku Lodge Flight & Feast and had a great time. Looking at Judy North's pictures is what prompted us to look into and book this excursion in 2006.

Even though our weather was not nearly as great as Judy's, we still highly recommend Taku Lodge Flight & Feast!

I'm glad that you weren't disappointed in the Taku excursion since my pictures inspired you to go. It was really an awesome experience for me. I haven't been on the helicopter (and don't intend to :rolleyes: ) but I can't imagine the experience being any better than the floatplane ride.

I'm glad that you weren't disappointed in the Taku excursion since my pictures inspired you to go. It was really an awesome experience for me. I haven't been on the helicopter (and don't intend to :rolleyes: ) but I can't imagine the experience being any better than the floatplane ride.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed in the Taku excursion. This was my first floatplane experience and I was very apprehensive, but enjoyed it immensely! I was too busy snapping pictures and enjoying the fantastic scenery to be concerned about the flight!

But I agree with you, no helicopters for me!

I also enjoyed your "rear view mirror" picture(s) you took on your drive from Skagway into the Yukon! It inspired me to try it and it worked pretty good!

When are you going back to Alaska? We're planning another Alaska cruise for next year.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed in the Taku excursion. This was my first floatplane experience and I was very apprehensive, but enjoyed it immensely! I was too busy snapping pictures and enjoying the fantastic scenery to be concerned about the flight!

But I agree with you, no helicopters for me!

I also enjoyed your "rear view mirror" picture(s) you took on your drive from Skagway into the Yukon! It inspired me to try it and it worked pretty good!

When are you going back to Alaska? We're planning another Alaska cruise for next year.

I looked at your pictures yesterday and saw the rear view mirror shot and wondered if you had been inspired by mine. :) You also had some absolutely beautiful sunset shots. I don't remember seeing such spectacular sunsets on our cruises to Alaska. I was also apprehensive about flying in a small plane but I loved it. It was like floating on the air like a bird. Another couple was with us and he is an aeronautical engineer who has designed helicopters. He refuses to ride in one. :eek: I guess that says a lot.

We are trying to decide when to go back and what we will do. My husband doesn't want to do the same itineraries that we have already done so that means changing cruise lines. He also wants to do an extra week in Alaska the next time we go. The deals this summer have been so good that it has been hard not to snap one of the up. Unfortunately, none of them fit our schedule this year.

BTW, I love the quote in your signature.

It's all about time and money. :) Longer is certainly "better"~~~ But I am also a clear advocate of varied Alaska touring, if the more costly flightseeing causes you to cut back on some other interests, due to funds. Then I suggest a basic flight and the other tour. :)

Remember too, about weather and check what kind of guarantee or refunds an operation might offer. When we were in Juneau last month, considered less of a rainy time, the cloud ceiling was so low that we were thankful that we did not book an expensive flight excursion and opted for the whale watch.

The low cloud ceiling was what we experienced in Ketchikan last month, and we were on a Misty Fjords flight. What we could see was pretty, but we didn't make it to Misty Fjords. I will now be leery of booking any flights in advance - since some pilots fly even when there's little visibility.

We just returned from a helicopter trip with coastal and landed on Herbert glacier. Excellent trip. Once in a lifetime experience. We waited until we got into Juneau so that we could check on the weather. It was a clear sunny day and we just walked up to a counter booked and went straight away. no wait. Cost was $199 and worth every penny.

Can you tell me where the counter fro this company is?

Is it at the port (were you get off the ship) or in another area?

thanks for your help.

Given the weather considerations, I can understand why people might wait to book a heli / plane tour until the day they arrive; however, if I do that during my early Sept cruise, I'm worried I'll get shut out of what I want. Does anyone know if that's likely?

Given the weather considerations, I can understand why people might wait to book a heli / plane tour until the day they arrive; however, if I do that during my early Sept cruise, I'm worried I'll get shut out of what I want. Does anyone know if that's likely?

I would think it is more likely to get shut out in July and August when there are more crowds, but it is certainly possible anytime. I guess you have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of booking ahead, and not getting a refund if your vendor wants to fly anyway in spite of limited visibility (or going and being disappointed, as NancyIL was with Island Wings), or of waiting until you arrive to book then find out there is no availability. No one will know the answer to that but you!

Archived