Millenium 7/12 sailing CANCELLED

flagger

The other thread is pretty long and this should serve to help those who have not read or have the time to read all the posts. How horrible to have your vacation impacted in such a way.

The July 12 sailing has also been canceled. Guests booked on that sailing will receive a 100 percent refund of everything paid to Celebrity plus a future cruise credit worth the value paid for the canceled cruise. That credit will be good through December 2008 (details and restrictions will be provided to these guests and their travel agents in a letter).

SOURCE: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2111

I feel for those who work in a seniority driven field and have to bid for vacations months in advance. Those folks will not just be able to up and change their dates. They will have to find other vacations or just give up taking a trip this year.

I feel for all of those in the current situation. We were in a situation like this once, one word, INSURANCE! It covered everything for us. Yes, it was a bummer at the time but we lost no money and ended up getting a free cruise. Insurance cost was about 150.00 per person, total cruise cost plus air was over 10K why anyone would not fork out the extra 3% (for us) for peace of mind is beyond me!

I agree with you. I used to think buying the insurance was such a waste of money, and thank goodness I have never had to use it, but the peace of mind is certainly worth the money. I too feel terrible for all of those on that cruise, all of the uncertainty and disappointment and to those who just had their cruise cancelled. I plan a trip so carefully and you can't put a price tag on all of the time and effort many of those cruisers spent researching and planning their trips. I do think however that Celebrity finally did step up to the plate and try to make some type of financial reimbursement to the passengers. Unfortunately for Celebrity, they are in a no-win situation. My heart goes out to all of you. Plan something fabulous and start looking forward to that!!!

Terry

I think it is time for a change in management at Celebrity. Things seem to be going down hill with Celebrity lately. The are spending a lot of money on canceled cruises and sailings that are delayed. On my last cruise on the Cetury in May I sent in a complaint letter about issues on the cruise with tendering and shore excursions, what I got was a thanks and we will tell the ship. Right they do not care. I will not be sailing on Celebrity anytime soon.

I was on the Millie last sailing. I understand what the future and current sailors are going through.

The worry of missing a connecting flight at "third world" Heathrow airport, couldn't be put aside up even by the months of our detailed planning.

I think I'm buying insurance on everything from now on. Not because it's a good deal, it just takes all the worry away. It's a vacation, right?

Someone once said, "90% of what you worry about never happens..."

Think Jimmy Hoffa said that.

I feel for all of those in the current situation. We were in a situation like this once, one word, INSURANCE! It covered everything for us. Yes, it was a bummer at the time but we lost no money and ended up getting a free cruise. Insurance cost was about 150.00 per person, total cruise cost plus air was over 10K why anyone would not fork out the extra 3% (for us) for peace of mind is beyond me!

I agree with you on the insurance, it is worth every cent to be covered for anything that could happen. Really sorry for all the people who are now stuck without a cruise and have to rebook or cancel out. The idea of booking Summit for next year is a good one! Summit is our favorite ship and we are planning on booking another M class ship, Infinity, for next year. These problems will not keep us from booking our favorite cruise line.

Good luck to you all and God bless for a wonderful cruise next time.

While I agree that insurance is a good thing and we always take it, I'm not sure why it's being mentioned in this context.

Surely you are not saying that they are only refunding the money to cruise passengers who had purchased insurance!!!! I've always felt that was to protect ME in case *I* had to cancel at the last minute, or had medical problems while on board.

If this is clearly a default of the contract on their part (broken ship, no cruise) I cannot believe they wouldn't offer the same refund to everyone.

I was on a Princess cruise that was cancelled at the last minute. They refunded the cruise, gave us a small credit and refunded our airfare (after a fight.)

The point here is that the cruise is often the cheapest part of the trip. Was for me on the Millie (off June 30). There's the fly/flush air, hotel before and after, new clothes, tours, etc.

With all the "stuff" going on, it's a good idea to have a back door. (insurance)

I am a proponent of insurance and never cruise without it. But why would it be needed in this case? The cruiseline is refunding the passengers 100% PLUS giving them credit for a free cruise equal to the value of the cancelled cruise. Airline tickets can usually be changed for a very nominal fee and used at a later date. Yes, it's definitely a bummer to have your cruise cancelled, but it seems like they are being compensated appropriately.

While I agree that insurance is a good thing and we always take it, I'm not sure why it's being mentioned in this context.

Surely you are not saying that they are only refunding the money to cruise passengers who had purchased insurance!!!! I've always felt that was to protect ME in case *I* had to cancel at the last minute, or had medical problems while on board.

If this is clearly a default of the contract on their part (broken ship, no cruise) I cannot believe they wouldn't offer the same refund to everyone.

I agree. I don't take out specific "cruise" insurance. Since I travel so much, I buy an annual travel insurance policy. Though the flights, airfare, etc. are a significant cost, they pale in comparison to emergency medical evacuation, which is the main reason I purchase insurance. My travel insurance doesn't cover every situation, especially with a cruise (check your policy to see how many things it does NOT cover!) but for those situations I try to "self insure" myself.

John

Airline tickets can usually be changed for a very nominal fee and used at a later date.

Depends on the airline, depends on the market. In the UK the 'no frills' airlines effectively don't do refunds: either the admin charges they levy would wipe out the value of the ticket, or a different flight will cost much, much more.

This is the one big argument over using 'cruise air'; if the airfare is part of the cruise contract, then if they cancel it's included in what they'll refund.

So I'm another person who buys an annual travel insurance policy.

Before spending 3 to 4 percent of your cruise fare for "peace of mind", you better read what is covered and what is not covered and under what conditions they are covered r. You might be surprised. After all how many people read the small print or hear what they want to hear and not understand the conditions of the contract...

Depends on the airline, depends on the market. In the UK the 'no frills' airlines effectively don't do refunds: either the admin charges they levy would wipe out the value of the ticket, or a different flight will cost much, much more.

This is the one big argument over using 'cruise air'; if the airfare is part of the cruise contract, then if they cancel it's included in what they'll refund.

So I'm another person who buys an annual travel insurance policy.

Tom,

any recommendations on travel insurance? On my last cruise to Bermuda I used RCI's but that was because I was recoverying from major surgery and they were the best best. Thanks

But what about the airfare? I'm sure if you booked Celebrity air, you would get a full refund - but what about the many, many people who have booked their own air? Do they get compensation for that?

I have just spoke to Celebrity Cruises and they have confirmed that they will only refund the money paid to them, they will not refund our flights, hotels pre and post cruise as we booked last minute and they could not offer the full travel package. So we have lost our Flights, Hotels and travel tickets, this is about £1000.00 in total! Some very unhappy and upset Ex Passengers! due to travel on the 12/07 from venice. This was goig to be our first Celebrity Cruise and we booked because they seemed such a good company...

I often book my flights and hotels separately. If I were in that situation and the cruise was canceled on me, I'd still try to use the flights and just do a land-based vacation.

I have just spoke to Celebrity Cruises and they have confirmed that they will only refund the money paid to them, they will not refund our flights, hotels pre and post cruise as we booked last minute and they could not offer the full travel package. So we have lost our Flights, Hotels and travel tickets, this is about £1000.00 in total! Some very unhappy and upset Ex Passengers! due to travel on the 12/07 from venice. This was goig to be our first Celebrity Cruise and we booked because they seemed such a good company...

Have you tried to get on another ship?

This was goig to be our first Celebrity Cruise and we booked because they seemed such a good company...

Hi Neilluk - I'm sorry to hear about your cancelled cruise. Did you have trip cancellation insurance to cover the portion not being refunded by Celebrity?

I often book my flights and hotels separately. If I were in that situation and the cruise was canceled on me, I'd still try to use the flights and just do a land-based vacation.

While I agree in principle, finding a decent hotel available days before arrival is a real challenge in high season and the rates are astronimical. Making lemonade out of lemons in this case can cost a small fortune.]

I prefer land based vacations in the Med and have one coming up in 9 weeks:D but planning ahead is essential unless one has either unlimited funds or is willing to take what's leftover as the nicer places book far in advance. I booked ten months ahead and had to go with my third choice of accomodation within my budget. In Venice especially, accomodations go from outrageous to mind boggling in terms of cost.

I hope it works out for those that choose this route.

For insurance our TA who is also a very good friend gets us Access America, the 'enhanced coverage' which covers just about everything you could think of. We need the extra coverage because of my husband's disabilities and health. There is also a web site, where you can read about each company and the coverages they offer and deicide from that.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Given all of the distressing things that passengers on Celebrity Millenium have to face, I can imagine the stress and high emotions everyone is feeling.

Not being on the ship, I see that Celebrity is trying to be as forthcoming as they can as well as generous with renumeration as they see possible. Of course, those experiencing first hand this turn events would like to see more being done. That is very understandable. Sometimes, it is too bad that businesses do not go over and beyond their responsibility to keep a customer happy, or to reimburse them for a loss. And, I suppose it should be mentioned that at times it feels like that as a customer our losses can never be adequately satisfied or compensated.

To all those whose plans were ruined: I hope each of you find and recieve adequate renumeration for your difficulties and stress.

We have been looking into Celebrity for a future cruise and though I don't believe this incident will prevent us from booking with them in the future, how they handled this situation and how they continue to handle it will be additional information for us in our decision.

Good luck to all of you who are affected by the ship being put temporarily out of service.

Kudos to Celebrity at least for making sure their ship is safe to sail.

absolutely! get on the phone with a travel agent and get a hotel tour package. Or a hotel and make the best of it. You got the cruise money back, plus you have a credit for another cruise to look forward too. You have your flights, just go! sometimes its these type of trips that turn out to be the most fun.

If there is no possible way to do this with the amount of money you paid for the cruise, i would be surprised. I am going to give it a sample try now and come back with some examples...........................

I don't see where you are out anything. You are getting your entire cruise fare refunded PLUS another FREE cruise equal to the value of the cancelled cruise. So your next cruise will be free. I would say you probably come out ahead of the game since I would think the cruise is costing more than what you've lost in hotel and flights. BTW, I would contact the hotel. Most allow you to cancel within 24 hours of arrival and I would think if you explain the situation, they might accommodate you. Of course, it goes without saying that no amount of compensation can make up for your disappointment in having your cruise cancelled. But what could Celebrity do? I think they are being rather generous. If you booked your air with them, they would refund your air. If you booked a trip to Las Vegas and the hotel burned down, do you think the hotel would reimburse you your airfare that you booked independently?

Archived