MSG in food on Infinity

Go2See

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if they use much MSG or sulfites on the Infinity? I have sent two emails, last month, to Celebrity but have yet to receive an answer.

Since I am leaving next sunday, I hope someone else has an answer....

Thanks!

Although not all the dishes contained MSG, I felt there were a few dishes that contained MSG because a couple of hours after we ate the meal, we were extremely thirsty. I always have this particular side-effect after ingesting MSG in food.

Unfortunately, it's not scientific and I can't recall which dishes may have contained MSG. But what I'm sure there were some dishes that contained MSG because I was very thirsty after that meal (probably at the 10F buffet, but I'm not 100% certain). I know this doesn't help your concern, but I think you can take your concern to your Maitre D' or the dining room manager the day you board the ship and let them know you are allergic to MSG and Sulfites. Then take all your meals in the main dining room to avoid ingesting any unwanted MSG and Sulfites. The dining room staff is very good at addressing food allergy concerns.

Don't worry too much and enjoy your cruise.

Hi Go2sea,

Celebrity is very good about making arrangements for dietary requirements of thier passengers. I know you are beginning your cruise soon, but you should have your TA notify Celebrity of your concerns about MSG. They will notify the shipboard personnel, and your head waiter will meet with you during the first evening meal to discuss how they will handle your dietary concerns. The head waiter will know what meals have MSG, and can make arrangements for other options if necessary. The head waiter will meet with you after each evenings meal to discuss the next days menu, and make arrangements for substitute items, if necessary.

The maitre 'd will be outside the main dining room about 2:00pm on embarkation day, and you can meet him there at that time to mention your dietary needs, and to verify that your dietary requirements have been recieved. He will make arrangements for your head waiter to meet with you.

Several times we have sailed with persons with gluten and other dietary problems. They have been very accomodating, and have made every effort to handle the passenger's needs quietly and efficiently. Just be sure to let them know what your dietary needs are, and then sit back and enjoy the cruise.

Petert

This MSG thing really surprises me. I thought that had to be disclosed (maybe it's just US restaurants? And maybe it's not even a law, just that many of them do?).

I've never felt that the food on Celebrity tasted overly salted (and we use very little sodium in our own cooking). I have high blood pressure and I'd be very interested in finding out if this is true - can anyone confirm?

I've never felt that the food on Celebrity tasted overly salted (and we use very little sodium in our own cooking). I have high blood pressure and I'd be very interested in finding out if this is true - can anyone confirm?

MSG actually makes the dish tastes slightly on the sweet side, not on the salty side. MSG is widely used in Chinese cooking and lots of soup noodles and stew dishes in other Asian cooking (Thai and Vietnamese cooking). I grew up when MSG was used widely in cooking at home, nowadays, we substitute sugar for MSG.

It will be great if anyone can get Celebrity to say that they cook without MSG.

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if they use much MSG or sulfites on the Infinity? I have sent two emails, last month, to Celebrity but have yet to receive an answer.

Since I am leaving next sunday, I hope someone else has an answer....

Thanks!

Hi Go2see

I am extremely allergic to MSG & Sulphites that's why I cruise with Celebrity we have been on 23 cruises & I have never had a problem. They use sea salt in the food. You will have a great cruise. Enjoy

You might want to avoid the onion soup -- I'm allergic, too, and I had a pretty strong reaction from onion soup last year or the year before. That's the only time I've ever had an allergic reaction in all our X cruises. Could have been a one-time fluke, however, I won't be ordering it again to find out.;)

My husband is extremely allergic to MSG and even though we let them know ahead of time we still talked to the Maitre D', head waiter & our head waiter - all were extremely careful that he didn't order anything with it in it. In the buffet we talked to the person in charge up there & he walked us around on embarkation day telling my DH what to avoid. He had no problems at all during the cruise. I'm surprised you haven't heard back from them though as they were very quick in responding to our email.

Archived