Traveling with Electronics/Camera Equipment

wecruiz

With the advent of newer and more tightly controlled security measures at the various transportation gateways, it occurred to me that I have not seen anything regarding travel with electronics and/or camera equipment.

Wife and I have recently started to expand our interest in photography, and as a result have acquired more, and hopefully better, camera gear and some electronics to go with it. In the process I have started to hear that TSA will make us do this or that and that foreign gateways have problems with this type of equipment, etc, etc, etc.

However, no real information. So how about it. Anyone got something to say about this?

I normally carry the following equipment:

Canon S60 pocket camera (nice backup camera)

Canon G2 (the wifes)

Canon PRO-1 (my backup for the XTi)

Canon XTi

70-300 macro zoom

spare batteries, flash cards

Canon 430 flash

Voice recorder

chargers

Dell laptop with accessories

Other than taking the laptop out of the bag, I have never had a problem. Carried them through Dulles Airport in DC, London Heathrow, and Amsterdam. And yes, we ARE camera nuts!

Cheers,

As previous poster said, you should have no problem. I have carried 35MM film with speeds up to 1000 and had no problem. Not sure where you're traveling, but I wouldn't worry about asking for handcheck (most international airports won't do it, and you hold up the line in the US, not really worth it) - just be sure not to put anything at all in checked luggage - carry it all on with you. I travel all over the world and have never had trouble anywhere. In the US, they require you to take your laptop out - but almost everywhere else, they don't even do that. It all goes through xray - and is fine. I put my camera and lenses (and everything else I need) in my carry-on. If I'm taking tripods - I put those in checked luggage (I have some scoping ones that fold up quite small). I have a camera backpack that has compartments that can be sized to fit whatever I'm taking (if you have alot of stuff) - OR just make sure that your camera equipment won't be banging against each other in your check-on bag. I've put my lenses in socks before. It really depends on what you're carrying.... Don't worry - and ENJOY!!!!!:D

I am not aware of any problems carrying this equipment. The only restriction which was in place for a few days was at the London Airports in August of last year when for a few days one could not take any electronic items on the planes when flying out of these airports. That restriction was removed a few days later after it first went into affect.

Keith

If you are using non-digital cameras, you have to be very careful with film. The newer scanners can destroy film 400 speed and higher. You have to make sure that kind of camera doesn't go through the xray machines.

Archived