need help deciding on port activities

laurachr

I will be on the Victory the end of Sept and am planning my port days. The ports include: Boston, Portland ME, St.Johns NB,and Halifax NS. I'm planning on the Duck Tour in Boston. I was also thinking of renting a car in some of the other ports. Which ports would be best enjoyed with a car and which would be fine on foot? thanks

I will be on the Victory the end of Sept and am planning my port days. The ports include: Boston, Portland ME, St.Johns NB,and Halifax NS. I'm planning on the Duck Tour in Boston. I was also thinking of renting a car in some of the other ports. Which ports would be best enjoyed with a car and which would be fine on foot? thanks

Check a few threads down I posted a lot of Boston info. If I were you, unless you are used to driving in complete chaos, I would not drive around Boston unless you really, really know the city well. We do not have the streets set up in blocks! They are still set up like the old cow paths but only wider and paved, lol. Many streets are one way, there are lots of rotaries and mass confusion if you do not know the area well. I have lived here all of my life and don't like driving there. This is coming from a woman who drives in a foot or more of snow and into Manhatten. The T (our subway) is very efficient, reasonable and there are stops all over the place. I have also posted a T map as well. Enjoy the Boston area but save yoursef a headache and don't drive. On a lighter side we were voted the worst and rudest drivers in the country and arefondly known as Massholes around New England;)

• 2 weeks later...

Laura,

I'm departing next week on RC to the same ports. I'd love to share any information we get. So far, it sounds like taking hop on/hop off bus or trolley around Portland and Boston is the least expensive way to see a lot.

Have you heard any other good tips?

Maggie in VA

In Portland ME you can get a harbor cruise when you get there.. Casco Bay is lovely and you get a waters eye view of the Portland Head Lighthouse. This city is very walkable from the port, no need to rent a car if you are staying in town.. Excellent chowders and seafood at restaurants on the harborfront (to left of where you will dock)

Sydney: Fortress at Louisbourg but be sure you have at least 3 hours THERE. On first visit not being sure of distances we did ship tour.. they don't allow enough time.

Archived