Children on Celebrity

blueyesdm

We are considering a 4-nighter with our 8 year old daughter next year. We have never sailed Celebrity and I was wondering if they are very child friendly?? I've seen that they have a kids club, which is nice but I'd hate to take her on there and not be any fun for her, or us!

Our DS was 3 1/2 when we took him on Galaxy. It was not peak season and not many children on board, with only one other participating in the Fun Factory. Anyway, DS loved the kids area and the counselors. All of the staff (not just those in the Fun Factory) really doted on him and made him feel very special. It was our first cruise, and if there were any passengers unhappy about him being there, we certainly didn't notice. He ate every meal with us, including dinner in the formal dining room. He was appropriately dressed at all times. Many other passengers engaged him, and even commented on his good manners (yea!!).

We will be cruising in September and DS is now 6 (this will be our 4th cruise). We will be taking him on all excursions this time, as we will be in Alaska. When he was 3 1/2, we left him in the kids program when we went to Jamaica and Costa Rica because we didn't feel comfortable taking him into port.

Our son has sailed X with us eight times in the past five years - starting at age 6 1/2; now he's 11 1/2. In keeping with Celebrity's generally more dignified/refined atmosphere, the kids' program is not wild-n-crazy. It's fun, certainly, but I suspect that some other lines are wackier. This is always PERFECT for our son, who has never been much for typical dumbed-down kid fare. Only one regret, the science programs aren't offered to his current age group - but only to younger kids - at least on the two cruises since he hit "Ensigns" (10-12) age.

TR

just back from Mercury AK 6/29/07-7/06/07

previous:

Galaxy PC 4/06

Mercury AK 8/05

Millennium EC 12/04

Mercury CA-MX 4/04

Infinity AK 8/03

Century WC 3/03

Century EC 9/02

I think girls will have more fun than boys at the 8YO age group because girls meet other girls and they quickly find a bond, like my 7YO DD did on our cruise. I don't know when you plan to cruise, but there are usually lots of kids during school holidays. The more kids on the ship, the more chance your daughter will find a few friends she can hang out with. I heard that there were over 600 kids on the Infinity over the Easter/spring break week.

I did not see the Science program mentioned by other posters for the younger age groups on our Infinity sailing.

8YO girls will have lots of fun on the ship if they find a friend on board. It really doesn't matter what programs are offered in the kids' club (Fun Factory).

Girls will have fun dressing up for formal nights.

They will enjoy seeing musicals and shows at night.

My daughter does not enjoy sightseeing, but she loves having her photos taken, so at different ports of call, I'll have her pose in front of signs and stuff so we'll have photos for her scrapbooks.

My daughter also enjoy shopping for souvenirs. I gave her $5 and let her loose at the Alaska T-shirt Company in Juneau--that was her favorite activity in Juneau. We took her to Mendenhall Glacier 2 years ago, so neither of us saw the need to repeat that excursion.

It's too bad Celebrity ships do not allow kids to swim in its indoor pool. It's outdoor pools are too cold to swim in for Alaska. Their pool water is not heated and its salty sea water. Most kids would not enjoy playing in salty, cold water.

Also, if your daughter enjoys eating out in fancy restaurants on land trips, then she'll feel right at home on Celebrity. The food is very good. Pizza, pasta, and ice cream are availabl all day long. Kids who like to eat will like Celebrity.

I've done some posting on the Family Cruising board here on Cruisecritic, go there to find out more information about cruising with an 8YO on Celebrity.

Thank you all for your replies! I feel comfortable going with Celebrity now if we choose to do that cruise. I know I'm looking forward to our cruise on Celebrity in 2009! I have heard many good reviews about the cruise line. I have tried Princess and Norwegian and Royal Caribbean is our absolute favorite. :)

We are considering a 4-nighter with our 8 year old daughter next year. We have never sailed Celebrity and I was wondering if they are very child friendly?? I've seen that they have a kids club, which is nice but I'd hate to take her on there and not be any fun for her, or us!

Celebrity had a good kids club for her to join. Celebrity though does not have many children from what I have seen when cruising on Celebrity.

It's too bad Celebrity ships do not allow kids to swim in its indoor pool. It's outdoor pools are too cold to swim in for Alaska. Their pool water is not heated and its salty sea water. Most kids would not enjoy playing in salty, cold water.

No, it's not "too bad". That adult sanctuary away from children and teens

is THE REASON we cruise Celebrity. We wouldn't even consider cruising on the ships to Alaska or other sailings which draw larger than usual numbers of children. When we cruise on Celebrity, we expect to have our adult areas remain childfree.

I am sure that the vast majority of regular Celebrity cruisers would shudder to have 347 kids (YIKES—I wasn't expecting numbers that large at all on Celebrity) INVADE the only ADULT SANCTUARY on the ship.

I don't care how cold it is outside, there is plenty for children to do—fully clothed and warm—on an Alaskan sailing.

Were there any kids (or their parents) trying to invade the area?

Did you?

We have taken our children on three celebrity cruises, two on the Zenith and we just returned from the Millennium Med. cruise. Our 10 and 7 year olds love the kids club. There were a few times they only ordered the entree at dinner so one of us could run them up to the club when they were done so they did not miss the activities. I cringe when I read that children not belonging on certain cruise lines, as my three are always very respectful and know that if they act up we would not take them on cruises anymore. That being said, our recent cruise on the Millennium was an eye opener. When we got their bands to join the kids club we were told there were 500 kids under 18. That would not be a problem, but at times the pool area was out of control. The shallow pool had kids doing cannonballs off the ledge and soaking people in the first row of chairs, my horrified 10 year old said she and a new friend she made saw a young boy urinate in the outdoor shower area, security tried to calm things down many times but it only lasted a bit and then they acted up again. I have to say though, it was only on the two sea days that this was a problem. I do think Celebrity is a wonderful cruise line for children as well as adults, I just wish parents would keep a closer eye on their children while they play. If I did not have a high schooler I would chose to sail at off times when there are still children on board, just in smaller numbers.

BTY-my three all said they enjoyed Celebrity over the Disney cruise!!

.... I cringe when I read that children not belonging on certain cruise lines, as my three are always very respectful and know that if they act up we would not take them on cruises anymore. That being said, our recent cruise on the Millennium was an eye opener. When we got their bands to join the kids club we were told there were 500 kids under 18. That would not be a problem, but at times the pool area was out of control. The shallow pool had kids doing cannonballs off the ledge and soaking people in the first row of chairs, my horrified 10 year old said she and a new friend she made saw a young boy urinate in the outdoor shower area, security tried to calm things down many times but it only lasted a bit and then they acted up again. ....

I cringe when I hear there were 500 kids on a Celebrity sailing when the cruise brochures clearly state that (for the largest ships, i.e. the 91,000 GRT Millennium, Summit, Infinity and Constellation) the advertised "passenger capacity is 1,950".

I cringe a great deal more when I read the horrific acts your 10-year-old described.

It never occurred to me that Celebrity would actually have MORE children onboard than Princess.

I, too, cringe at the thought of that many children on Celebrity.

I can't imagine Celebrity makes any money off of the children -- they don't drink, they don't gamble and they usually stay in the same cabin as parents. So why encourage children? It appears that there are plenty of empty nesters, childless couples and people sailing without their children to make up for whatever the line may lose.

I'm NOT anti-family. But the cruise world overflows with cruises specifically for families with children.... So it would be wonderful in one of the mainstream lines like Celebrity specficially catered to those without children...or those who prefer to vacation without them....

I can't imagine Celebrity makes any money off of the children -- they don't drink, they don't gamble and they usually stay in the same cabin as parents. So why encourage children? It appears that there are plenty of empty nesters, childless couples and people sailing without their children to make up for whatever the line may lose.

I'm NOT anti-family. But the cruise world overflows with cruises specifically for families with children.... So it would be wonderful in one of the mainstream lines like Celebrity specficially catered to those without children...or those who prefer to vacation without them....

I agree. And if I am not mistaken, I recall that P & O has a ship that caters to adults, the Arcadia.

Still, we love the adult aspects of Celebrity, especially the AquaSpa, which prohibits anyone under 16.

I cringe when I hear there were 500 kids on a Celebrity sailing when the cruise brochures clearly state that (for the largest ships, i.e. the 91,000 GRT Millennium, Summit, Infinity and Constellation) the advertised "passenger capacity is 1,950".

FYI - ships capacities posted are usually when the 3rd and 4th berths are NOT filled. Therefore it is easy to exceed posted capacities during peak travel times, ie summer, spring break, holidays, etc.

If your sole goal is to avoid as many children as possible, don't book during those times, &/or book longer voyages, or select luxury lines that do not have children's programs.

No, it's not "too bad". That adult sanctuary away from children and teens

is THE REASON we cruise Celebrity. We wouldn't even consider cruising on the ships to Alaska or other sailings which draw larger than usual numbers of children. When we cruise on Celebrity, we expect to have our adult areas remain childfree.

I am sure that the vast majority of regular Celebrity cruisers would shudder to have 347 kids (YIKES—I wasn't expecting numbers that large at all on Celebrity) INVADE the only ADULT SANCTUARY on the ship.

I don't care how cold it is outside, there is plenty for children to do—fully clothed and warm—on an Alaskan sailing.

Were there any kids (or their parents) trying to invade the area?

Did you?

Deep cleansing breath in . . . and now out. No one said anything about acually letting children into the covered pool. The poster was simply stating that Celebrity did not allow children into this area.

We've done several "cold" itineraries on a variety of ships. I've discovered that most line do in some way accommodate kids in their "adults only" swimming areas if those areas are the only covered and/or heated swimming facilities. And in all cases I have survived the ordeal. On RCCI Radiance for an AK cruise, they had posted times (generally one two-hour long time period a day) when kids "accompanied by an adult" could use the Solarium pool. I generally read in this area and discovered that while many kids took advantange of the opportunity (and appeared to enjoy it very much) they were not as disruptive than some of the young adults who legally used the same facilities at other times.

Well behaved passengers (of all ages) are always welcome in my book -- boors and brats are equally obnoxious and should just stay home!:D

Hope the OP doesn't get scared off by any of the negative posts and that the family thoroughly enjoys their vacation!

gillianrose,

600??

Can one of our Celebrity TA experts verify if that is even possible on the Infinity?

Yes, it's possible. Celebrity allows parents to book separate cabins on the same cruise for their children. Thus, a family with six or seven children might book three cabins -- a standard cabin for the parents, a "bunk room" (cabin with third and fourth berths) for the boys, and a "bunk room" for the girls. This arrangement is fine so long as the children are old enough to sleep in a separate cabin from their parents. And sometimes the children of two or three families travelling together will share "bunk room" cabins....

Norm.

Rated passenger capacity is based on double occupancy, and does not include third or fourth berths. The actual maximum capacity is about 15% more on most ships.

Note, BTW, that the dining rooms, etc., are designed to accommodate the maximum capacity, including the third and fourth berths.

I cringe a great deal more when I read the horrific acts your 10-year-old described.

We all do.

Of course, that sort of conduct is a complete aberration on Celebrity.

It never occurred to me that Celebrity would actually have MORE children onboard than Princess.

Princess's new ships can accommodate that many children or more. Princess limits it more strictly only on the small ships that don't have centers for children and teens.

Norm.

amagar,

They actually do alright in terms of revenue from children. There are charges for sodas and juices, video games (both arcade and on cabin television), use of computers, the day program when in port, the evening babysitting service, shore excursions, and other things that children do.

More importantly, though, this is marketing to future customers at its best. IOW, children who have fond memories of cruises with Celebrity are very likely to bring their families for cruises on Celebrity when they get to be adults.

No, for several reasons.

>> 1. Celebrity is not a "mainstream" cruise line. Rather, Celebrity is officially classified as a "premium" cruse line. Thus, your premise is fundamentally flawed.

>> 2. Children cruising on Celebrity learn to appreciate fine cuisine and service, fine art, etc. They also learn to act with proper decorum in situations that require it. These lessons will serve them well later in life.

>> 3. The attitude that Celebrity should be for adults only is just as bigotted as an attidude that seeks to exclude senior citizens, or an attitude that seems to exclude people who belong to a particular race, or an attitude that seeks to exclude people who practice a particular religion, on such basis. Those who hold such attitudes need to be challenged to reconsider them.

>> 4. Celebrity Cruises is a place of public accommodation. As such, it should accommodate all who come and abide by its rules, regardless of age, gender, nationality, religion, race, or any other accident of the human race. And disability or medical condition should exclude people only if it poses a clear danger to either the excluded individuals or those around them.

>> 5. And if you want an "adults only" cruise line in the same segment of the market, you can cruise with Oceania Cruises instead.

And for the record, I'm still single -- and no, I don't have any children out of wedlock, or by adoption, or for foster care, or whatever, either....

Norm.

I'm sorry if this starts any problems, but I have to laugh when people who sit in the first row of chairs by the pools get annoyed by getting splashed.....come on, even a child could figure out the solution to that problem!!

As for the OP's question, we have sailed many times on Celebrity with our grandchildren and they have been treated like little princes....they are uniformly adored by all the staff and they have been wonderfully cared for.

I have traveled on Celebrity five times- once over Easter (Constellation 2006) and the kids are so thoroughly entertained by the youth staff that the ship never feels over-run by kids.

Don't worry- there are kids on Celebrity but many people don't see them because they would rather hang out with the young, vibrant youth staff than grumpy old people! Just kidding- the passengers on Celebrity are very nice and have always been nice to my son.

Celebrity is my favorite line in general and the kids program is a hit with my son. We are going on Millenium on July 24th and can't wait!

>> 1. Celebrity is not a "mainstream" cruise line. Rather, Celebrity is officially classified as a "premium" cruse line. Thus, your premise is fundamentally flawed.

This comment made me laugh. Exactly who classified the line that way and what makes that designation "official"? I mean, if I made up the term "super-duper" to describe Celebrity, can somebody else then say that Celebrity is officially classified as a "super-duper" cruise line?

And even if we grant that this is the commonly-used (as opposed to "official") designation, what does it even mean and in what way does it relate to this discussion of children?

Drew B,

This comment made me laugh. Exactly who classified the line that way and what makes that designation "official"? I mean, if I made up the term "super-duper" to describe Celebrity, can somebody else then say that Celebrity is officially classified as a "super-duper" cruise line?

And even if we grant that this is the commonly-used (as opposed to "official") designation, what does it even mean and in what way does it relate to this discussion of children?

The classification of cruise lines as "Luxury," "Premium," "Mainstream," and "Economy" (obviously, from most "upscale" to least "upscale") is very consistent across all of the major travel guides (Berlitz, Fodor's, Frommer's, Stern's, etc.). I could be wrong, but I believe that the criteria for this classification actually are established by the Cruise Line International Association (CLIA).

Norm.

Has anyone sailed the 11 night Galaxy Southern Caribbean cruise over Easter? We are sailing this cruise March 17, 08, I wonder if there will be a lot of children? Just curious:)

We did this cruise earlier this year with our 7 and 4 year old daughters. Actually, our cruise was the two weeks before Easter, but the last week was Spring Break vacation for our girls. They had a great time on the cruise! Not a lot of kids on board -- maybe around 100 (if that many)? And that means "kids," as in under 18, while I think there may have been only 40 kids or so on board that were under the age of 10. This meant the Kids Club was never crowded and our daughters received great attention from the staff. And the Kids Club staff put on a great program for the kids -- our daughters loved it and chose to stay on board at the Kids Club as opposed to another "beach day" with mom and dad while we were in the BVI!

I think with the longer cruises (more than 7 nights), you will see less kids. And IMO, if you and your kids are respectful and considerate of those around them, then you/they will have no problems whatsoever from any of the other passengers. Isn't that true of all passengers, regardless of their age?

Enjoy!

Linda :)

Archived