NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

You cannot upgrade to minisuites or the Haven. You can go from inside to ocean view (30,000) or inside to balcony (60,000) or ocean view to balcony (30,000), but no higher.

Interesting, so why do they list 2 and 4 category upgrades as something different than meta upgrades. https://www.ncl.com/world-points

Is that because category upgrades can only be within the originally booked category, i.e. family balcony to aft balcony?

Anyway, I'd still like to see cabin categories ranked highest to lowest for my own information ;) if it exists.

You cannot upgrade to minisuites or the Haven. You can go from inside to ocean view (30,000) or

inside to balcony (60,000) or ocean view to balcony (30,000), but no higher.

Also, be advised that if you want to META upgrade to a BA cabin,

you have to start, with an in kind catagory: a IA.

Edited by $hip$hape

Interesting, so why do they list 2 and 4 category upgrades as something different than meta upgrades. https://www.ncl.com/world-points

Is that because category upgrades can only be within the originally booked category, i.e. family balcony to aft balcony?

Anyway, I'd still like to see cabin categories ranked highest to lowest for my own information ;) if it exists.

I have no idea. LOL. That's just what I've learned about how it works. when I booked my cruise for next year, I booked an ocean view with plans to upgrade to a balcony. Well, now I have enough points to upgrade from inside to balcony. I'll have to watch the booking promos and see if I want to cancel and book an inside to do a cross-meta. It's a 14-night cruise, so it's expensive either way.

What you are asking for may depend on the ship... for example, here's a list from another web-site... (this info may be deleted)

https://www.icruise.com/c/cabin-list.php?WMPHShipCode=78

Thanks $hip$hape! Sometimes I can tell by looking at pricing. However, often there are several categories (within or between meta) at the same/similar price. So I am wondering how NCL officially ranks categories.

I know that not all ships have all categories but there is something agents are looking at when customers make inquiries or try to use their points. It would be nice if we could access that information online somewhere.

I have no idea. LOL. That's just what I've learned about how it works. when I booked my cruise for next year, I booked an ocean view with plans to upgrade to a balcony. Well, now I have enough points to upgrade from inside to balcony. I'll have to watch the booking promos and see if I want to cancel and book an inside to do a cross-meta. It's a 14-night cruise, so it's expensive either way.

I've called several times over the past 3 years that I have had this card and have yet to come across an instance where cashing in points with NCL gave greater value than a statement credit against NCL charges with triple points.

I will have over 100,000 points after I pay off my May 2018 cruise, so at this point I am thinking that I should shoot for the free cruise. That may actually end up as a better value than a statement credit but I am skeptical at this point. ;p

Otherwise, I will opt for a statement credit at some point . . .

I've called several times over the past 3 years that I have had this card and have yet to come across an instance where cashing in points with NCL gave greater value than a statement credit against NCL charges with triple points.

I will have over 100,000 points after I pay off my May 2018 cruise, so at this point I am thinking that I should shoot for the free cruise. That may actually end up as a better value than a statement credit but I am skeptical at this point. ;p

Otherwise, I will opt for a statement credit at some point . . .

You should read back a couple pages then. The longer the cruise the greater the value for the upgrade. It can come to far more than the statement credit or OBC.

You should read back a couple pages then. The longer the cruise the greater the value for the upgrade. It can come to far more than the statement credit or OBC.

I can see that the points would be advantageous for the longer cruise and thanks for the heads up. I am thinking about a Panama Canal cruise in 2019 :D

But for demonstration puposes, this is what I have found on every 7 day cruise:

9/17/17 Bermuda Cruise on the Breakaway:

lowest priced oceanview to lowest priced balcony (not sail away rate) is a difference of $300 and the dollar value of the points to meta upgrade is also $300. But if I do a statement credit instead of the points upgrade, I get an additional $40 OBC for paying the balcony rate plus the additional 1200 points. So the statement credit results in a $352 value as opposed to the points upgrade total value of $300.

I agree with your example. I had hoped to use our 60K points to upgrade us on our upcoming TA cruise(s). But the price difference between inside and ov and balcony is minimal so elected to keep the points (I am watching their expiration dates however) in the hopes of getting a bigger bang for the buck than simply the credit.

I can see that the points would be advantageous for the longer cruise and thanks for the heads up.

I am thinking about a Panama Canal cruise in 2019 :D

But for demonstration purposes.....

WE are using 60,000 points (worth $600.00)for a double meta upgrade on a 14 day NCL Bliss Panama Canal Cruise Nov.,2018.

Looks like we will be saving $1,560.00 .

You should read back a couple pages then. The longer the cruise the greater the value for the upgrade.

It can come to far more than the statement credit or OBC.

I agree with your example. I had hoped to use our 60K points to upgrade us on our upcoming TA cruise(s).

But the price difference between inside and ov and balcony is minimal so elected to keep the points (I am watching their expiration dates however) in the hopes of getting a bigger bang for the buck than simply the credit.

Yes. If you go back far enough in this thread, POST #4164

remind me by reprinting, how much one saved on their 40 day cruise. :eek::)

Edited by $hip$hape

Do these points expire even if you're using their MC and adding onto them?

At first I thought I'd want to use my points for OBC or money back. After reading some of the posts, for sure, the best way to use them are to upgrade. I'm only up to about 30,000 and that's because I made final payment on our upcoming Oct. cruise. I would love to get to 60,000 to upgrade from inside to balcony. Sometimes, the OV and balcony rates are minimal in difference depending on how the cruise is selling.

When you're doing an upgrade with the points, must it be done when the cruise is booked or can it be done after final payment?

Do these points expire even if you're using their MC and adding onto them?

At first I thought I'd want to use my points for OBC or money back. After reading some of the posts, for sure, the best way to use them are to upgrade. I'm only up to about 30,000 and that's because I made final payment on our upcoming Oct. cruise. I would love to get to 60,000 to upgrade from inside to balcony. Sometimes, the OV and balcony rates are minimal in difference depending on how the cruise is selling.

When you're doing an upgrade with the points, must it be done when the cruise is booked or can it be done after final payment?

They expire after 5 years and can be done after final. But...it also depends on availability. Of you booked cheapest inside you upgrade to cheapest balcony of available.

Otherwise you may need to pay for a higher inside cat

Steve

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

They expire after 5 years and can be done after final. But...it also depends on availability.

If you booked cheapest inside you upgrade to cheapest balcony of available.

Otherwise you may need to pay for a higher inside cat

Steve

I agree...

(from the B of A World Points FAQ):When will my points expire?

Points expire five years from the end of the month in which they were earned.

Go to the REWARDS tab on your bank statement, then click on SEE EXPIRATION SCHEDULE

(our oldest points don't expire for another two years)

IMHO, if you can't seem to accumulate enough points for an upgrade, or don't plan on a long(er) cruise, this card is no better than any other.

WE booked an inside cabin (IA) a while back at a good price, and should have enough points to upgrade to a BA later this year while better cabins are still available, for a cruise in Nov. 2018.

For more information, just call Norwegian World Points @ 1-866-954-4077,

they will be happy to help you plan, without making a commitment.

Edited by $hip$hape

Here's another example of the value of an upgrade. I just asked my TA to cancel my 14-night cruise for next year since the current promo is better than what was offered when I booked. I'm booking an inside (IC) and I'll upgrade to a balcony for 60,000 points. That upgrade is $3200 difference. I'll take that over a $600 statement credit! :D

Here's another example of the value of an upgrade. I just asked my TA to cancel my 14-night cruise for next year since the current promo is better than what was offered when I booked. I'm booking an inside (IC) and I'll upgrade to a balcony for 60,000 points. That upgrade is $3200 difference. I'll take that over a $600 statement credit! :D

That's fantastic! Congrats on your deal.

Does anyone have a specific example on a 7 day cruise out of a US port (preferably NE) where using points for upgrades beats the statement credit?

Just curious . . .

IMHO, if you can't seem to accumulate enough points for an upgrade, or don't plan on a long(er) cruise, this card is no better than any other.

Totally agree! I have this card just for NCL purchases because it only gives 1 point for everything else. I also have a BOA travel Visa that I use for everything else because it gives 1.5 points. Added benefit is that I can transfer points between accounts to consolidate and reset expiration dates.

I'm booking an inside (IC) and I'll upgrade to a balcony for 60,000 points. That upgrade is $3200 difference. I'll take that over a $600 statement credit! :D
It all comes down to personal preference. I would not pay 600 let alone 3200 to be bumped up from inside to balcony. But many cruisers have to have their balcony. So the 600 credit would have been my choice, but it's all moot anyway since I'm getting 1.5% from capital one on everything. I used my NCL card once, took the 100 promo and never looked back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

That's fantastic! Congrats on your deal.

Does anyone have a specific example on a 7 day cruise out of a US port (preferably NE) where using points for upgrades beats the statement credit?

Just curious . . .

Just compare the pricing on the NCL website on a 7 day cruise out of NYC on the Escape next year when it goes to Bermuda comparing an inside to a balcony.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Just compare the pricing on the NCL website on a 7 day cruise out of NYC on the Escape next year when it goes to Bermuda comparing an inside to a balcony.

I am not seeing your example working by my calculations

5/6/17 Escape

2 guest in IF with Bev pkg = 2417.02 + $50 OBC

2 guest in BF with Bev & $150 shore excursion credit = $2842.78 + $100 OBC

Difference in price $425.76 (not $600) plus booking the IF then upgrading with points means the loss of the 2nd choice and $50 OBC.