NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

6 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

I apologize. Value is relative. I received 3-nights at the Marriot Amsterdam Town Centre and 2-nights at the Courtyard Marriot in Seattle with points to spare.

I'll take that over a category upgrade.

To each their own.

Just to clarify, I only use my NCL card for NCL stuff. I have other cards that give me points for other things - it's not an all or nothing proposition. But I also don't pay for the privilege of having a specific travel card. 

• Like 4

Just now, julig22 said:

Just to clarify, I only use my NCL card for NCL stuff. I have other cards that give me points for other things - it's not an all or nothing proposition. But I also don't pay for the privilege of having a specific travel card. 

All good. If it works, it works.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Not an expert, but any other travel credit card will give you far more bonus value than a simple cabin upgrade. But hey, points are points.

Where ya been lately? Welcome back.

Calling it a simple cabin upgrade is probably understated. The signup bonus of 30,000 points allows you to book an inside and upgrade to Oceanview, or book Oceanview and upgrade to a Balcony.  It’s not like hotel upgrades where there is a slight difference in pricing to go from street view to ocean view. It can be a savings of several thousand dollars, especially on longer cruises.  As @julig22 mentioned, for frequent NCL cruisers, getting 3x points when using the NCL card to pay for your cruise, excursions and onboard expenses can yield significant savings. And, like @julig22 I also have other cards which are used strategically to earn points and miles for hotels and air.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2024 at 8:04 PM, Kierste said:

Hi all! Just got our card a month ago, by my calculations I will have 60k points racked up before final payment for our cruise for next summer (11 night European cruise). We are in adjoining club balcony with a regular balcony next door (for my dd) I assume that since we will be close to final payment that the 60k to upgrade, that we don’t fit the upgrade ideal. We rarely need OBC because I pre-pay for gratuities etc and try to walk out with no bill. Do I use the points as a statement credit, or knock off some of the price of our room, save it for the next cruise (because there is always a next cruise) Is there something I am missing?

Or save the points to apply to some future cruise.  Remember that the World Points upgrade is only available up to a Balcony.  If you normally travel in a Club Balcony, Suite, or Haven stateroom, then the upgrade option will be of no value to you.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

I just got this card and I want to know specifically how do you use the points for upgrades and such?

Log in to your account on the BofA website and you can find the redemption there.  There's probably more info in the sticky thread regarding the card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Log in to your account on the BofA website and you can find the redemption there.  There's probably more info in the sticky thread regarding the card.

Thank you!  I didn’t receive the card or use it yet, just opened it two days ago so I don’t have any points yet but I will check it that way once I do.

• Like 1

The value of this credit card is the sign up bonus, the 3x points on NCL purchases and no fee.  I mostly just use mine for my NCL purchases as points on other cards are worth more than the 1 cent per point for this card.  Note that there is really no benefit to use the points for on board credit because you can use the points to reduce your credit card balance.  In fact it would be best to use the CC for your on board purchases and get the 3x points amd then use these points when you pay off your CC bill.

Also if you use points to ‘purchase’ OBC and should happen to cancel your cruise afterwards, the OBC disappears and you are out the points.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Where ya been lately? Welcome back.

Thanks! We're taking 2025 off from cruising, so a daily overload of cruise info is no longer necessary. But I'll pop in once in a while.

As I said earlier, the value of credit card points is relative. It depends on your goals.

I'm a Marriott loyalist working towards Lifetime Gold Elite status. So, a free night per year and 15 stay credits is important to me. I use Chase Sapphire because their travel insurance is top notch, and I can transfer points 1:1 to Marriott.

I'm looking at the Delta card, because they have great connections to almost anywhere from the Midwest.

NCL is a very small portion of our travels, so I find other cards that better help me achieve my goals. I have to evaluate whether the dollars I would have to spend on the NCL card outweigh the benefits of those same dollars on other cards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Thanks! We're taking 2025 off from cruising, so a daily overload of cruise info is no longer necessary. But I'll pop in once in a while.

As I said earlier, the value of credit card points is relative. It depends on your goals.

I'm a Marriott loyalist working towards Lifetime Gold Elite status. So, a free night per year and 15 stay credits is important to me. I use Chase Sapphire because their travel insurance is top notch, and I can transfer points 1:1 to Marriott.

I'm looking at the Delta card, because they have great connections to almost anywhere from the Midwest.

NCL is a very small portion of our travels, so I find other cards that better help me achieve my goals. I have to evaluate whether the dollars I would have to spend on the NCL card outweigh the benefits of those same dollars on other cards.

We have Amex Delta cards, Platinum and Reserve.  DH is primary cardholder and I am additional.  The total cost for us is $250 for Platinum and $650/$150 for Reserve.  So right around $1000 per year.  With that DH gets $2500 + $2500 MQD’s which gets him Silver Skymiles status without ever flying.  With Silver we can pick exit row seating for no additional charge.  Both Platinum and Reserve give an annual main cabin Companion ticket (Reserve you can fly Comfort+ or First Class).  This year Delta expanded where you can fly to include the Caribbean, Hawaii, Alaska and PR.  So that’s two free flights.  Reserve has pretty good travel insurance and 2 free checked bags per person plus early boarding…and drink coupons.  But what I really like is the Sky Club access.  We fly out of ATL and live 100 miles away.  You never know about traffic in/around Atlanta so we always leave very early to ensure we get to the airport on time.  Plus they have free nibbles and drinks, saving us from forking out another $30 per trip for crappy airport food.  With vacationing 4-5 times per year, the Amex Delta cards allow us to travel like we have status even though we bought it😂.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

But what I really like is the Sky Club access.

That's why I'm looking at it closely. Minneapolis has an amazing Sky Club. And with a longish layover from DSM to anywhere, that's really enticing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Do you ever find any problems with Amex?

Absolutely not…ever.  We’ve been cardholders of various Amex cards since 1983. 

Sorry others for the Delta info.  I didn’t realize I was on the MasterCard FAQ thread.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, laudergayle said:

We have Amex Delta cards, Platinum and Reserve.  DH is primary cardholder and I am additional.  The total cost for us is $250 for Platinum and $650/$150 for Reserve.  So right around $1000 per year.  With that DH gets $2500 + $2500 MQD’s which gets him Silver Skymiles status without ever flying.  With Silver we can pick exit row seating for no additional charge.  Both Platinum and Reserve give an annual main cabin Companion ticket (Reserve you can fly Comfort+ or First Class).  This year Delta expanded where you can fly to include the Caribbean, Hawaii, Alaska and PR.  So that’s two free flights.  Reserve has pretty good travel insurance and 2 free checked bags per person plus early boarding…and drink coupons.  But what I really like is the Sky Club access.  We fly out of ATL and live 100 miles away.  You never know about traffic in/around Atlanta so we always leave very early to ensure we get to the airport on time.  Plus they have free nibbles and drinks, saving us from forking out another $30 per trip for crappy airport food.  With vacationing 4-5 times per year, the Amex Delta cards allow us to travel like we have status even though we bought it😂.  

Amen! This is EXACTLY the same plan(s), my DW and I have. For all the same reasons you have them. We also live about 100 miles from ATL, in the beautiful mountains of WNC. We also vacation 5-6 times per year. It’s worth EVERY penny!! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I use Chase Sapphire because their travel insurance is top notch, and I can transfer points 1:1 to Marriott.

I'm curious how you secure the travel insurance through Sapphire.  I've been told you only have to charge a portion of your trip to insure the whole trip.  Do you know if this is in fact true?  I want the majority of my dollars going towards NCL, so I charged $250 of the cruise on Sapphire and the rest on my NCL card for the 3x points.  Do you know if this is enough to insure the trip?

I've read where ppl charge the $5-$10 tax on a rewards airlines ticket on their Sapphire card to get the entire trip covered.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kismetique said:

I'm curious how you secure the travel insurance through Sapphire.  I've been told you only have to charge a portion of your trip to insure the whole trip

Fortunately, I've never had to utilize travel insurance, but yes, the theory is you only need to pay a portion, but me being me, I book the full trip with Sapphire. Then there is no doubt.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

points expire I believe 3 years after posting on account ( unlike some other cards where points dont expire).  Keep that in mind when doing your bookings.  Im going to start using my points for statement credits instead of upgrades.

I did not know that they expired.  We sail often enough that we use them within a few months after earning them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

I did not know that they expired.  We sail often enough that we use them within a few months after earning them.

Points expire after five years. From B of A website: How You May Lose Points: As long as your card account is open and has active charging privileges, points expire 5 years after the month they were earned.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/terms-and-conditions/?campaignid=4070523&productoffercode=7Q&locale=en_US

Edited by Beaumont Barbie
Clarification
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Fortunately, I've never had to utilize travel insurance, but yes, the theory is you only need to pay a portion, but me being me, I book the full trip with Sapphire. Then there is no doubt.

Probably the best idea!  I'm trying to upgrade 2 more cruises,  or I'd likely do the same. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Beaumont Barbie said:

Points expire after five years. From B of A website: How You May Lose Points: As long as your card account is open and has active charging privileges, points expire 5 years after the month they were earned.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/terms-and-conditions/?campaignid=4070523&productoffercode=7Q&locale=en_US

Thank you for that.  We usually sail several times a year, so I don’t think we need to worry about that.

• Like 1