Charleston Hotel options

SueF

Found the Ramada today...99/night for a king room, hot breakfast, free shuttle to/from pier. It is the Ramada off I-26, exit 209. Has anyone ever been there?

We need to find a hotel that definitely does a park and cruise option..if we are staying overnight, we aren't going to pay for parking as well...so that leaves out many places.

Thanks! Figured I would start a new thread now that I am calling places!

Sue :)

I thought I could help you on this one ( I live in Charleston), but after much research I can't find any hotels that offer free shuttle service to anywhere. Some offer free shuttle service from the airport, but that doesn't help you any. Just some FYI, this hotel is not near the port, it is in town off the interstate (about a 20 minute drive not sitting in traffic;) ) and it is not a newer one. There are certainly nicer ones to stay at, but I understand the importance of not paying to park. I would love to help you, I myself hate going somewhere and not really knowing what I'm getting into, but I have also put up with a not so great night just for some other conveniences. Good luck!

Sue,

Pardon the interruption, but you posted in another thread that you have 4 couples, 2 cars, making this trip. As you stated in the first post in this thread that you are booking a king room, it would seem you are getting 4 rooms pre-cruise. Any possibility that you can make do for one night with 2 couples to a room at a hotel that does not include free parking while you cruise? The savings there could go a long way to cover the cost of parking at the cruise port facility. I can understand this is not ideal, but just an idea for you to consider.

Thanks for the info Extract!!!!! I found that website already too, and plan to make some calls today. Did any of those look to be good?

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/packages_stay.html?id=384

Krooz...I understand and have asked that question of the 4 couples myself abotu sharing rooms. But it is actually my husband's office staff, so that is not an option. Also, it is part of what we want to do. So...I search on...will make a bunch of calls today and let you all know what I find! Even if it is too expensive for me, I don't mind posting all the info for everyone's benefit!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Found the Ramada today...99/night for a king room, hot breakfast, free shuttle to/from pier. It is the Ramada off I-26, exit 209. Has anyone ever been there?

We need to find a hotel that definitely does a park and cruise option..if we are staying overnight, we aren't going to pay for parking as well...so that leaves out many places.

Thanks! Figured I would start a new thread now that I am calling places!

Personally I think the hotel is kind of sketchy. Are there other choices?

Yeah, I was starting to wonder about that hotel...have been making calls for a while now...found a nice deal with the Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview at $109/night with a free local shuttle to/from the terminal. Waiting to hear back from the Embassy Suites Airport, the Days Inn Historic District, and the Comfort Inn Riverview.

That website must be out of date, as I got many rude comments from the hotel staff that "they don't DO that...we don't DO cruises".

Oh, the Charleston Marriott (formerly the Charleston Riverview Hotel) has $299/night but no shuttle.

That Holiday Inn Riverview seems nice...what have you all heard about that? The shuttle only runs about once every 1-2 hours, so would want to call as soon as we had cell signal and set that up, but that would be Ok I think.

Yeah, I was starting to wonder about that hotel...have been making calls for a while now...found a nice deal with the Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview at $109/night with a free local shuttle to/from the terminal. Waiting to hear back from the Embassy Suites Airport, the Days Inn Historic District, and the Comfort Inn Riverview.

That website must be out of date, as I got many rude comments from the hotel staff that "they don't DO that...we don't DO cruises".

Oh, the Charleston Marriott (formerly the Charleston Riverview Hotel) has $299/night but no shuttle.

That Holiday Inn Riverview seems nice...what have you all heard about that? The shuttle only runs about once every 1-2 hours, so would want to call as soon as we had cell signal and set that up, but that would be Ok I think.

Jump all over that Holiday Inn deal. The Days Inn will run you around $200 per night because of its prime location and doubtful it will let you leave your car.

The Embassy is way out in North Charleston, nothing there, no redeeming reason to stay there even with the free cocktails and breakfast.

At least with the Comfort Inn and the Holiday Inn you can take a $2 cab ride and be right in the middle of downtown. They probably both have free shuttles downtown.

• 7 months later...

could anyone tell me about this hotel. about 1 mile to hist district and cruise port. free parking no shuttle, but they say taxi is ony 5 to 10$.we will be staying there after. cruising in june . i work for the school boad, got goverment rate at 97.00 aday. bestwestern down town 250 spring st.

Before our Charleston to Bahammas cruise last October we stayed at the French Quarter Inn. Full review on Trip Advisor.

What we loved was the 24 hour coffee, ice tea, cookies, champagne with ladyfingers offered to the guests. Three floors with spacious rooms. Short trip to port. If you did not pack much you could walk to port although in October the luggage/security was a block away from the port building.

I thought I could help you on this one ( I live in Charleston),

I know this is an old thread.....

We have booked the Holiday Inn Riverview and fly in the Friday before cruise day. In your opinion, what would be the best use of our Friday afternoon/evening in Charleston?

The hotel will shuttle our family(8 of us - 2 grandkids) to downtown etc.

But we will want to eat (inexpensively) and maybe see some sights or maybe historic walk etc. So I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks Jim

I know this is an old thread.....

We have booked the Holiday Inn Riverview and fly in the Friday before cruise day. In your opinion, what would be the best use of our Friday afternoon/evening in Charleston?

The hotel will shuttle our family(8 of us - 2 grandkids) to downtown etc.

But we will want to eat (inexpensively) and maybe see some sights or maybe historic walk etc. So I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks Jim

T-Bonz or Wild Wing Cafe both on Market would fit your family's needs and are both good local restaurants right in the heart of downtown. Afterwards, walk around The Market and walk down to the harborfront.

I have a reservation at Courtyard Charleston Downtown/Riverview the night before our cruise in April. I called today to verify that they will allow us to leave the car there while we are on the cruise. Verified.

I asked about the shuttle. Theirs is a $6 all day pass to the historic area which would be too expensive for 2, I think. It's really for people who were staying that night, and then it's economical.

Don't you imagine a taxi to the port from 35 Lockwood Drive would be cheaper than two $6 shuttle passes? Anyone know taxi rates? or do they have flat fees? It's 1.25 miles from hotel to port.

Is it better to have a shuttle or taxi let you off at the street and roll your suitcases in rather than wait in the long line while the meter is running?

Thanks

I have a reservation at Courtyard Charleston Downtown/Riverview the night before our cruise in April. I called today to verify that they will allow us to leave the car there while we are on the cruise. Verified.

I asked about the shuttle. Theirs is a $6 all day pass to the historic area which would be too expensive for 2, I think. It's really for people who were staying that night, and then it's economical.

Don't you imagine a taxi to the port from 35 Lockwood Drive would be cheaper than two $6 shuttle passes? Anyone know taxi rates? or do they have flat fees? It's 1.25 miles from hotel to port.

Is it better to have a shuttle or taxi let you off at the street and roll your suitcases in rather than wait in the long line while the meter is running?

Thanks

A cab will run you around $10 with tip. From the Mills House Hotel which is about three blocks from port to MUSC including tip it was around $6 or $7. You will not really be saving much but a cab would be much more comfortable and you can go on your schedule and not someone elses.

Thanks.

Do cabs generally just drop you off at the curb or get in the line with the cars that will be parking at the terminal?

I read on another thread that there was a company that did not use meters, but had set fares. I think it was called Safety Cabs. The OP was going from a Marriott all the way out at the airport and was charged $10. Think I'll look into that.

Thanks.

Do cabs generally just drop you off at the curb or get in the line with the cars that will be parking at the terminal?

I read on another thread that there was a company that did not use meters, but had set fares. I think it was called Safety Cabs. The OP was going from a Marriott all the way out at the airport and was charged $10. Think I'll look into that.

Wow! $10 from the Marriott by MUSC all the way out to the airport? That is a cheap fare for a long way to drive!

I would imagine the cabs just drop you off.

What is MUSC?

That stands for Medical University of South Carolina. It's a huge hospital that teaches doctors.

If you want to splurge stay at the Charleston Place. It's not cheap, but would be in the 200-300 range. It is right downtown with the Market Place and many tourist spots outside the door. If you call the place you might get a better deal than over the internet (1 800 611 5545) and for around $400 you can get the "club" level. I know sometimes that does not mean much, but at this hotel it is worth it. It starts with breakfast (not sit down, but a great spread) with mimosas, brunch like food at noon with beer or wine, around 4ish you can get a drink and not just one! Top shelf all the way, Heavy snack food around 5ish, desserts around 8ish, cordials. Beer wine til 4, then drinks, beer, wine etc. til 10pm. My wife and I go there at least once or twice a year and I think they lose on us.

We live on a barrier island near downtown (Isle of Palms) that has a bridge to it.... it has several nice hotels right on the beach that would be great also, but you would have to take a cab downtown, or your car and I don't think they would allow you to park your car. Try http://www.iop.net

Hope this helps.

MUSC is the sixth oldest medical university in the United States and the oldest in the south.

We have just been notified the the Majesty on the 31st May will not leave Charleston until 7:00pm (boarding at 4:00 pm). So that gives the family almost a whole day to spend in Charleston. So what can you suggest we do all day. We love to walk, so in reality what may be doable?

We have just been notified the the Majesty on the 31st May will not leave Charleston until 7:00pm (boarding at 4:00 pm). So that gives the family almost a whole day to spend in Charleston. So what can you suggest we do all day. We love to walk, so in reality what may be doable?

Check your luggage with the bellman at The Doubletree. It is about two blocks from port and on the corner of Church and Market Streets. Tip and they'll be happy to help.

Walk across the street and take the Carriage Tour. Afterwards, walk down Meeting Street to Wentworth (about three blocks) and get in line for brunch at Jestine's Kitchen. While you are in line waiting for a table, take turns walking directly across the street to the fire station and check out the old fire trucks. One is from around 1836, one is from around 1900, and the last one is from the 1950s. Really cool.

After eating at Jestine's, walk through the market and shop. Some great deals on Low Country items. Don't try and haggle with the basket makers as they are expensive because it takes about two weeks to make one.

After that, you should be ready to board! Just get your luggage and walk down the street!

jimc,

Here are some ideas for a day in Charleston (you mentioned you had 2 grandkids with you (I believe).

1 South Carolina Aquarium and a boat trip to Fort Sumter---near the parking line to the ship.

2 Visit the market area as a previous poster suggested.We always eat some great seafood at Hymans Seafood (voted best in the South year after year) Everything is walkable in the historic district and very safe.A carriage ride is fun and very informative.If you like to walk, stroll down Church Street all the way to the Battery.You can tour St. Phillips Church and graveyard, Dock Street Theater (if it is open--being remodeled), the Heyward-Washington museum house and kitchen, and let the kids play on all of the cannons at the Battery.Walk back up East Bay and see Rainbow Row and the Exchange Building museum, then stroll waterfront park and let the kids play in the fountains---Cheap day with beautiful old homes, churches, etc--lots of history and probably the prettiest streets in America.The Confederate Museum is also at the front of the Market and great for Civil War buffs--oops I meant the "War of Nothern Aggression".

3 If you like naval history, spend the day at Patriots Point just across the bridge in Mt. Pleasant.You can tour the aircraft carrier Yorktown, sub Clamagore, Destoyer Laffey, and cutter Ingram--all historic World War 2 ships.You can easily spend a day here and they also offer trips to Fort Sumter.Cheap and very entertaining.The Yorktown has a great plane collection on the hanger deck as well as the movie "The Fighting Lady".The Majesty will be docked just across the Cooper.

4 Tour the Charleson Museum and the Joesph Manigeaut house.Both are near the visitor's center.The Aiken Rhett house is also nearby and is very interesting as the home is not really resotred--just maintained since 1830 or so--also had all of the outbuildings on the grounds--stable's, privies, kitchens, servant's quarters, etc.

Any of these options should easily give you something interesting to do until your board.Charleston is simply beautiful and so much fun. Charleston is always voted one of the most mannerly cities in the nation, so dont hesitate to ask anyone for directions or information.They will be happy to help you. I would even suggest planning on spending severaly days discovering Charleston.Hope this helps and have a great cruise.

Archived