Best way to book one way air to Rome

I'm almost at the point when I can book air to Rome to catch a TA. Although I did book with the cruise line, I want to look for my own air so I can select the dates to arrive in Rome. We disembark in Fort Lauderdale and I can easily get a flight home to JFK after the cruise. My problem is the one way to Rome.

Is it OK to use sites like Kayak or Best Travel Store? Are these sites reliable middlemen? I imagine once you book these you are pretty much locked in.

Another option is to book the best available R/T and use the return ticket on a future cruise. I believe you have one year and most airlines require a deviation fee + additional costs for the changed return.

I have AAdvantage miles but they don't offer a one-way for less miles.

Any advice or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

Kayak is completely reliable...they end you to the airline site. You do not book with Kayak, but rather the airline itself. I do know that Virgin sells one way tickets, perhaps they will book you with a partner [Continental] and get you to Rome directly. Why not give them a call! Good luck!

Karen

I did a test....Kayak took me to airfare.com and an Alitalia flight, one way,

for $476. When I went directly to the Alitalia site the same flight was $1950......So, it seems, I'm not buying from Kayak or Alitalia but from airfare.com. I'm still confused. Please help!

Marty

for $476. When I went directly to the Alitalia site the same flight was $1950......So, it seems, I'm not buying from Kayak or Alitalia but from airfare.com. I'm still confused. Please help!

Marty

You may want to post over on the Cruise Air forum. Have some really great folks over their who may be able to answer your question not only about the one way but also what your viewing. Just an fyi, you may want to let them know what dates your looking at.

Julia

I have a couple of thoughts about the one-way air. Since we do a lot of transatlantics, this is often an issue. There are a few airlines that sell reasonable one-way fares (usually half the round trip). Check out Aer Lingus for many places in Western Europe. One advantage of using Aer Lingus is you can often plan a multi-day stop-over in Dublin or Shannon for no additional air cost. Another airline that has served us well is LOT which is the Polish airline. They have daily non-stop flights to either Newark or JFK from Warsaw, but they also run a busy schedule from other European cities to Warsaw using nice new regional jets. We recently bought a 1-way ticket from LOT for Budapest to Newark for about $430. Another idea is used by some passengers who love to do transatlantics. If you take a transatlantic to Europe in the spring, simply buy a round trip ticket and than use it to get back to Europe for a return transatlantic in the fall. One last idea is to use the German airline called LTU. They usually have very good one way fares to or from Dusseldorf, from where you can get almost anywhere via air or train.

Hank

Many of the consolidators do not let you use the second half of the ticket at a later date and you have a "throw away". Be sure you understand the issues you might face by doing such a purchase.

PTC

Marty

For our Med/TA on STAR Princess this December, I found a great one-way fare ($905.00 for 2) with Airfare.com. Yes, you book through them, but it will immediately show up on the Carrier web site where you can choose seats, etc.

In our case we're flying UA non-stop from Dulles (Washington DC) to Rome the evening of 30 November.

BTW, which cruise are you on?

-- Barry :-)

Archived