question about massage on Voyager

poss

A couple of questions, actually:

How much in advance should one book a massage? Common sense suggests that those services would be more busy on sea days. Do folks usually book before boarding? (Is that even possible?) Have people ever found that they wanted a massage and were unable to get one because everything was pretty well booked already?

I'm interested to get feedback on the quality of the massages on Voyager. Has everyone been quite satisfied? Are there any masseuses to avoid? (Are there several practitioners on board?)

How much do most folks tip?

Thanks very much! (Our cruise is September, Dover-Nice.)

I have been very happy with the massage on the Voyager. There are several massage therapists on board. I really enjoyed the hot stone massage and the sunflower seed body scrub (Ultimate Face and Body). The therapists are usually Asian and have been wonderful. A 50 minute massage is fairly priced.

Usually, I book when I board. When I have not done that, then the times I want may not be available.

I was recently on the Voyager and I booked my hot stone massage shortly after boarding the ship to make sure that I was able to secure the time that I wanted. As you stated sea days are busy and book fast. I thought the price was reasonable and the massage was excellent. I tipped about 20%.

I went to the spa to make bookings on the first day, and managed to get the sessions I wanted. Most people wanted massage on at-sea days and late afternoon (after returning from excursions and before dinner). So if you leave it too late, these popular time-sessions will be booked up.

I was rather impressed with an oriental male therapist. He got the magic touch.

I tipped Euro10 (about $15) for an one-hour massage. Do people think this is too little -- it is hardly 20%?

Thanks very much to all who replied-- helpful information there.

sundial: Was your therapist male or female? I tend to prefer massage by a female (though best massage I ever had in my life--in New Zealand some years ago-- was by one of the few males I've had.)

sho: By the way, I tend to tip under 20% for massage-- unless it's genuinely extraordinary, a one of a kind sort of thing.

• 1 month later...
The prices are on my TA's website so I cannot link them here but they are $80 for a sweedish massage for 50 minutes and up.

$80 is a fantastic price!

RCL and Celebrity totally rip you off. That would cost $120-$160 in their spas, plus you have to sit there and listen to what they want to sell you afterwards.

Yes, Dede - I was on HAL's Amsterdam this year and had the most absolute worst massage ever. Litterally, she did not know what she was doing and was just lightly rubbing my skin - no real massage and the price was outrageous. When she started the sales pitch (and they include 10 minutes of your massage time for their sales pitch) I told her that I was not interested in hearing her required monologue. I would not buy any products. The treatments from the Carita Spas are delightful. I can't wait for my November Cruise to book a few massages and an Ultimate Face and Body!

Archived