Good B-B-Q In Houston?

Matomatic

Ok all you Texans, after we get off of our Cruise ship in Galveston, we want to eat at a good Texas BBQ somewhere between Galveston and Bush Airport before we head back to California. Any recommendations??? We'd prefer to stay close to I-45 as possible.

Well, it's not close to I-45 but Goode Company on Kirby just south of the Southwest Freeway (Hwy 59) may be the best bar-b-que around these parts matched possibly by Joe's off Highway 6 in Alvin. I'm sure everyone in Houston/Galveston has their favorite - and perhaps some of them would be in more convenient locations.

Texas Roadhouse on I-45 & Eldorado Rd. (about 20 minutes from Galveston) is good and has the best ribs! There is always Drexler's BBQ (owned by former Rocket player Clyde Drexler) in on 45 just this side of downtown. My favorite was here in deer park but just closed down due to family illness.

The best is Goode Company on Kirby. Drexler's is very expensive and is good but not worth their price. Your best alternative is Pappas http://www.pappasbbq.com/locations.html They have several locations, but the best one of them is the original downtown at SanJ acinto and Pierce. The one at 4430 I45 North would also be easy for you to get to.:)

As a lifelong Houston area resident, IMHO...Drexler's is hand's down the best on your route. It's not that expensive... it's BBQ!

If you don't mind going a little bit out of your way, there is a place on Sawdust Road in the Woodlands called Pit Master(s)? thats way better than Goode Co. and less out of your way. The traffic on I-10 is a nightmare.

If you don't mind going a lot out of your way, head up to Huntsville and pick up some brisket at the New Zion Baptist Church. Their sides aren't the greatest, but the brisket is from heaven!

About equally out of your way... in my hometown of Magnolia is the Blue Moon Smokehouse. Their ribs are out of this world and the brisket has won a bunch of prizes at the Houston Livestock Show BBQ cookoff. (It's not as good as New Zion's though.)

And my absolute favorite... if you're willing to go a whole lot out of your way (you'd probably have to extend your trip a day)... drive out to Driftwood (near Austin) and go to the Saltlick. THE BEST SAUSAGE in the whole dang world.. and the coleslaw and potato salad alone is worth the drive.... Not to mention the cobbler... OMG!! If you can't get there, you can order online, so all's not lost. It's worth a trip someday though. :)

I hate to say this, because others love it, but I feel morally obligated to mention... the last time my family and I ate at Pappas BBQ, we all got food poisoning. The food is okay, but now we're scared to eat it. :(

Get your BBQ at Queen's in Galveston. Delicious!

I've lived here FOREVER and thought I'd tried EVERYTHING... I'm so excited to hear that there is something I haven't heard of yet that I'm planning a drive down tomorrow afternoon! :D

Where is Queen's??!!!

I've lived here FOREVER and thought I'd tried EVERYTHING... I'm so excited to hear that there is something I haven't heard of yet that I'm planning a drive down tomorrow afternoon! :D

Where is Queen's??!!!

Here is a previous thread mentioning Queens that may be helpfull...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=455977

BTW, location:

Queens BBQ

3428 Avenue S

Galveston, TX 77550

(409) 762-3151

Cick the name above and it should take you to a map.

Kat020105_emYA11_prv.gif

Kat, Thanks, now I know what DH and I are having for lunch tomorrow! MMMMM! Yummy! I'll let y'all know what we think when we get home. :)

Wish I could join you and DH!! Looking forward to your food review.

Too bad I can't join in too, but I have a BBQ/Pool Party to attend in Santa Fe. Now if Mother Nature will just cooperate...

Kat060106YA33_prv.gif

Kat,

Maybe next time! :) Have fun in Santa Fe. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates.

Best wishes,

Naomi

PS... I love the BBQing smiley! He's awesome. LOL!

My all time favorite is the Swinging Door in Richmond:D . In light of your itinerary and time requirements however, Goode Company would probably be your best bet. It's not fancy by any means, but the food is great...

Kat, I hope you didn't get rained out of your pool party in Santa Fe. We got so much rain in Magnolia that we never even tried to pull the mower out of the garage. I wish it would dry out just a little bit.

We never made it down to Queen's this weekend. DH and I got sidetracked looking at a new (to us) sailboat at the Seabrook Shipyard, so we had lunch at one of our standby favorites - the Sundance Grill. I wouldn't be bothering to mention it here if I hadn't been craving BBQ then... I took a risk and ordered their baby back ribs. They were the BEST RIBS I've had in years and the COLESLAW and POTATO SALAD was worth the drive alone!! :):) I don't know how this place is doing it... because it is NOT a BBQ restaurant, but I will definitely be back for the ribs. My DH always gets a burger and I've always had a salad or grilled fish or something like that before and all that stuff is yummy, but OMG the ribs were good!!

So... to the OP... another suggestion... it's not a BBQ restaurant, but if you want to sit out by the water at a real Texas style "yacht club" head a little ways off 45 towards Kemah and have lunch at the Sundance Grill at the Seabrook Shipyard. The BBQ Babyback ribs are worth the drive. If the traffic is light, I think it would only be about 30 minutes out of your way. :)

For us, we'll have to try Queens on another weekend...

Kat, I hope you didn't get rained out of your pool party in Santa Fe...

Yep, the hostess canceled for another day. Maybe she will use a050103fortunecon_prv.gif next time and try to make sure there will be no rain!!

Kat010106YA7_prv.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The best BBQ I have ever ate in Texas is Hammonds in Glen Rose, Texas, about 50 miles southwest of Fort Worth. If you are ever in Fort Worth, Riskys at the Stockyards is the ticket, and in Dallas Sonny Bryants, downtown next to the DART rail line, West End station.

Sorry, I know nothing about Houston.

I've heard about the Stockyards. It's supposed to be awesome. I could never make myself eat there though. I know I'm being a complete hypocrite because I'm a total carnivore... but something about the whole setup grosses me out. I have trouble with eating steaks at Taste of Texas in Houston too. They serve them on plates shaped like COWS! Ewww! :)

I've heard about the Stockyards. It's supposed to be awesome. I could never make myself eat there though. I know I'm being a complete hypocrite because I'm a total carnivore... but something about the whole setup grosses me out. I have trouble with eating steaks at Taste of Texas in Houston too. They serve them on plates shaped like COWS! Ewww! :)

I LOVE Taste of Texas! It is our favorite. I guess I never noticed the cow shaped plates....too busy eating! I have been to the Stockyards but not to eat, just walked around and rode the train. Walker, Texas Ranger was filmed there at a place called C.D.'s.

• 3 weeks later...
It looks like Drexler's has closed and been replaced with a club named "Grooves". :confused: They were putting up the new signs a couple of days ago when I drove by.

Bummer! :(

FWIW... Tom's Smokehouse in Seabrook does an excellent Pinched Piggy. It's not true Texas BBQ (more N. Carolina), but it's good. The fried shrimp po-boy is also really yummy. They sell other smoked meats by the pound in family packs. We'll try those the next time we're in there.

We were at Tom's again yesterday...

I just realized that it's called "T-Bone Tom's" not Tom's Smokehouse... sorry if I confused anybody. I think I had the name mixed up in my head with another place up here. One way or another, it's still YUMMY! :)

Ok all you Texans, after we get off of our Cruise ship in Galveston, we want to eat at a good Texas BBQ somewhere between Galveston and Bush Airport before we head back to California. Any recommendations??? We'd prefer to stay close to I-45 as possible.

Having lived out of state and now happily back "in state" I'd say that just about anywhere you can get BBQ here in Texas is better than anywhere else in the country (especially Ohio - no offense Buckeyes)!

Archived