Shopping for Snorkel Mask: How Important Is Single Panel?

Leo Jay

How much benefit is it to have a mask with uninterrupted single viewing panel that allows some peripheral viewing, as opposed to thee ones that have separate panels for each eye and/or may not even allow you to look out from the sides? Strangely, some of the more expensive ones seem to be of the second type, and many of the single panel ones I've seen are less expensive... :confused:

How much benefit is it to have a mask with uninterrupted single viewing panel that allows some peripheral viewing, as opposed to thee ones that have separate panels for each eye and/or may not even allow you to look out from the sides? Strangely, some of the more expensive ones seem to be of the second type, and many of the single panel ones I've seen are less expensive... :confused:

There really isn't a 'rule' - it is a matter of choice. Many divers prefer the latter style tho, because what they are after is the least air volume in the mask.....and the minimum volume masks are of the latter type. If you go below the surface, you don't want to need to pull a big air bubble with you, and if the mask fills with water, you want to have a lesser amount to purge. For a snorkeler these factors may be less important but many snorkelers move on to diving, or at least do a bit of free diving where they would apply even more.....

There really isn't a 'rule' - it is a matter of choice. Many divers prefer the latter style tho, because what they are after is the least air volume in the mask.....and the minimum volume masks are of the latter type. If you go below the surface, you don't want to need to pull a big air bubble with you, and if the mask fills with water, you want to have a lesser amount to purge. For a snorkeler these factors may be less important but many snorkelers move on to diving, or at least do a bit of free diving where they would apply even more.....

Ah -- I didn't understand that there was an advantage to separate compartments, so I couldn't understand why some of the more expensive ones were designed that way. Your explanation helps a lot. Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation. I snorkel with a single panel, which gives me a wide viewing range. Good to know other options.

Archived