Willing to do a cruise to nowhere?

I noticed that when I look at itineraries I always count the sea days. Cruises and sea days are the only time I can sit around and do nothing (pool side with a book) and not feel quilty about it.

Doing land vacations always leave me exhausted. For some reason I feel the need to cram something into every minute. I think, gee, I've spent all this money to get here I need to see every inch of this place. I don't feel like that while on a ship.

Am I the only crazy person willing to take a cruise to nowhere? I would be perfectly happy on a 7 -10 day cruise that just floated around in the water. Trying to talk DH into a transatlantic. I think that would be perfect for me.:p

I totally agree with you. I find the rush to get off, lining up, remembering to bring everything, worrying about the time to get back to the ship very stressful. It's too much like the responsibility I am trying to escapre from. My favorite activity is to just sit by a quiet pool and feel the sun and the breeze.

I realized while I was perusing the shore excursions that I’ve been there and done that. That is when I started to realize that I just want to cruise….I don’t care where….and I don’t need to leave the ship.

However, if there are no ports of call then all of those other people don’t get off the ship either and we’d have to deal with chair hogs. :D

We are booked on our first transatlantic for this fall. I agree that it is more relaxing than a land vacation, as we went to Spain and the Canary Islands around xmas and new years this last year, and during the Spain portion we were always under pressure to get somewhere and to do something. It is a great vacation, but it is nice to vary them, and not just do one thing. We did a South America Cruise in 2005 where we did 16 day cruise and 8 days pre and post cruise doing land vacation to see specific sites. We had about 7 days while on the cruise to relax at sea. Very beautiful and a nice mix. In 2003 we did a 16 day cruise from New Zealand to Tahiti and then to Hawaii. We had 2 sets of 4 days at sea which was just about perfect for a long vacation. I am not quite sure I would ever want to just sail to nowhere for a week or more, but a transatlantic is a great combo of a few easy to see spots, relaxation and really getting to do the whole ship experience.

jc

I really need to try a transatlantic (or transpacific) sometime. I love those sea days.

My husband wanted to go on a Bermuda cruise. 2 sea days, 2 port days, 2 sea days. I wasn't really thrilled with the port, but 4 sea days? Sign me up!

He chose something different hoping to entice me off the ship (yes, I would have gotten off the ship in Bermuda and would have even enjoyed it), but to me, it doesn't matter where the ship is going. I just want to be on it!

DH/I would love to go on a cruise to nowhere. We enjoy our sea days and that's one thing we look at when booking a cruise (number of sea days). At least with the sea days you can relax, not have to get up early for a port tour, etc. Being able to sit in a chair and stare at the sea is priceless! I don't have that view from home so I enjoy it as much as I can.

Sea ya!

Am I the only crazy person willing to take a cruise to nowhere? I would be perfectly happy on a 7 -10 day cruise that just floated around in the water. Trying to talk DH into a transatlantic. I think that would be perfect for me.:p

I would LOVE that!! I wish there was a cruise that wasn't a transatlantic but had lots of sea days, but if it exists, i haven't been able to find it yet! Relaxing on a ship is SO different than trying to relax at home!:D :cool:

I'm with ya on that one too!

We are leaving tomorrow and right now having to think about ports is too much!!! My goal in life is to get to the airplane and then get to our cabin on Monday. That's all. I don't care if I don't get off the ship until we get back to Florida!

Did a 9 day cruise out of Bayonne, original itinerary was Labadee, Grand Caymen, Orcho Rios, and Bahammas ....we missed Grand Bahamma, so our 9 day cruise had 6 sea days. And we didn't have to pay for airfare.....but loved our transatlantic, if you are afraid of the airfare, the price of the cruise compensates the difference

I would LOVE that!! I wish there was a cruise that wasn't a transatlantic but had lots of sea days, but if it exists, i haven't been able to find it yet! Relaxing on a ship is SO different than trying to relax at home!:D :cool:

Try looking at some of the cruises to Hawaii or Tahiti. The Tahitian cruises I was looking at were a little more expensive but some of the Hawaiian ones weren't too bad. The one I was looking at was 10 days I think and 5 of those days were sea days. I honestly don't remember what line I was looking at, but I do remember there were ones leaving from Vancouver, LA and Ensenada, Mexico.

Try looking at some of the cruises to Hawaii or Tahiti. The Tahitian cruises I was looking at were a little more expensive but some of the Hawaiian ones weren't too bad. The one I was looking at was 10 days I think and 5 of those days were sea days. I honestly don't remember what line I was looking at, but I do remember there were ones leaving from Vancouver, LA and Ensenada, Mexico.

I’ve also been looking at those on Celebrity and HAL. RCI has a few, but not too many. The problem with these one ways is that you need an extra day on each end for the flights. I see you are also in Chicago and would have the same problem…and we have access to great flight times.

If you do the Hawaii Circle cruise you spend the same amount of vacation time; however you get two extra days for the cruise instead of travel. There are plenty of flights to San Diego or LAX that arrive in plenty of time to fly in the day of the cruise! :D

I've looked at the ones from CA to Hawaii and thought they'd be wonderful. Even though DH gets 6 weeks of vacation he doesn't want to be gone more than 2 weeks at a time. He thinks that either work couldn't survive without him or that they would decide that they could be without him all together.....don't know which. And those cruises with air travel time and flying in and out a day early would be more that 2 weeks.

But oh................wait til he retires:)

We love sea days too. Transatlantics are heaven for us. The Circle Hawaii cruises are just about as good with even more sea days (10 out of a 15 day cruise). A full Panama Canal transit will usually get you 7 sea days out of a 15 day cruise. Stretch your dh from 14 days to 15...it's only an extra day.

I would be willing to take a cruise to nowhere. I just came off the Mariner for a 7-day and we only got two days at sea. It wasn't nearly enough time to explore and do everything on the boat.

I've looked at the ones from CA to Hawaii and thought they'd be wonderful. Even though DH gets 6 weeks of vacation he doesn't want to be gone more than 2 weeks at a time. He thinks that either work couldn't survive without him or that they would decide that they could be without him all together.....don't know which. And those cruises with air travel time and flying in and out a day early would be more that 2 weeks.

But oh................wait til he retires:)

OMG, you are married to my DH. :eek: He has tossed out about 5 options saying he can’t be gone from work that long! He gets 4 weeks of vacation and another 5 floating holidays and won’t take more than 1 week off because any more than that and it will be noticed. Last year they made him take the month of December off because he had too much time carried over.

He always takes the last 2 weeks of December off but thinks we have to be home for Christmas. I just can’t win with this one. :mad:

Archived