Willing to do a cruise to nowhere?

Sign my DH up! He has said for years that all the islands look the the same to him. His theory is that the ship just floats out at sea during the night and the next day goes back into port where all the signs have been changed to a new island's name! Although I cruise to relax and do NOTHING, I do like to put my little feet on land every couple of days!!!

We did the Western Med on Voyager on a 7-day out of Barcelona and we had five ports in a row followed by one sea day. This was insane. I love sea days. The ideal cruise is alternating days with one extra sea day thrown in someplace so you have 2 sea days in a row. (A hint if you decided to take a 7 day out of Barcelona: RCI advertises the cruise in Italy as starting in Rome. You may be able to board the ship in Rome (as the Romans do.) Then, that would give you a sea day after the first port, which is Naples. You would only have Barcelona, Marsailles, Ville Franche and Livorno before returning to Rome and disembarking. Not ideal but itwould mean only four ports in a row rather than five.)

My husband & I are currantly booked on a RT Hawaii out of San Diego Oct 11, 2008 on the Radiance of the Seas. This cruise gives you much longer times on the Islands, and was as much as $ 1000 less then the others, with the sail by the Lava flow. We have a D1 category cheaper then the cruises going out now and next year.

RADIANCE OF THES SEAS, HAWAII OCT 11, 2008

I noticed that when I look at itineraries I always count the sea days. Cruises and sea days are the only time I can sit around and do nothing (pool side with a book) and not feel quilty about it.

Doing land vacations always leave me exhausted. For some reason I feel the need to cram something into every minute. I think, gee, I've spent all this money to get here I need to see every inch of this place. I don't feel like that while on a ship.

Am I the only crazy person willing to take a cruise to nowhere? I would be perfectly happy on a 7 -10 day cruise that just floated around in the water. Trying to talk DH into a transatlantic. I think that would be perfect for me.:p

A cruise to nowhere is just fine with me. Infact I have been trying to figure out how I can just go from one ship to another as need, I want to retire totally to the cruise ships. They have all the comforts I need, food, entertainment, room service, linens, pools, spectacular views, and medical ( at a cost). I could even go ashore if need to shop for a few things on occasion ( though my needs would be few). My problem is that my monthly pension is just shy of what is needed and getting the arrival dates and departure dates to coincide is hard work. If I figure it out I will let you know.

Sign-me up for the cruise to nowhere! The six days at sea on my transatlantic (Brilliance - Miami to Barcelona) were the most peaceful, relaxing days I can remember in a very long time. The night before we docked in Madera, there was a real sense on the ship of looking forward to the port but being a little sad that we were about to enter the "real world" again!!

lvlady - If you figure out how to retire at sea, please post something! I'm sure there are many who would join you :)

I'm soooooo glad there are others like me. I thought I may have some other problem along with my addiction:D .

Look who I found on this board, too. :D

No no its not an addiction, its simply an obsession. :p

I would HAPPILY take a cruise to nowhere.

One of my favorite times on board is when most people are off the ship and the pace slows down and I can sit by the pool and have a mango tango and relax. :)

I've looked at the ones from CA to Hawaii and thought they'd be wonderful. Even though DH gets 6 weeks of vacation he doesn't want to be gone more than 2 weeks at a time. He thinks that either work couldn't survive without him or that they would decide that they could be without him all together.....don't know which. And those cruises with air travel time and flying in and out a day early would be more that 2 weeks.

But oh................wait til he retires:)

I am counting the days until DH is retirement eligible so we can do just that. :)

But two weeks with the add ons may just about be my limit, I am not sure I can be away from my dogs longer than that!

However, we want to do a TA and then combine it with say a Baltic/Scandinavian cruise or the Greek Islands . . .

Absolutely.............bring it on............

I have always said the first cruise line to attempt this will have a WINNER and be surprised at the results.........

Unfortunately, no cruiseline has stepped up to the plate to try something like this..........

We're starting to look at repositioning cruises because I'm not a port fanatic. I've been very lucky in my life and been to many Caribbean Islands. I love them, but I love relaxing sea days more.

Well a cruise to nowhere wouldn´t be my favourite, I do like sea days and a mix of 6-7 sea days with 6-7 ports is the perfect mixture to me. The much I do like sea days the much I want to see different ports. Probably the reason why I´ve been on 4 transatlantics already and prefer the repo cruises. My upcoming cruise is just outright perfect. 16 days with 8 sea days and one day transitting the PC, so staying onboard while having something to watch.:cool:

DH knows how much I want to do a transatlantic and is trying to get me to schedule one with his mother. I really love my mil, but 14 to 16 days??????????????? I just don't think I could do that.:eek:

MIL and fil took there first and only cruise the end of may and LOVED it. Saddly my fil died very unexpectedly just 3 weeks later. I'll be willing to try for a 4 or 5 nighter but think that would be my limit.

I have a very sweet DH and know that a transatlantic is in the future because I really want to do it. We found out early in our marriage (31 years) that happily doing what the other wants without complaint (all within reason) leads to a much happier life. And we've both been pleasantly surprised to find we have actually enjoyed doing some of the things we didn't want to do.

One of my favorite times on board is when most people are off the ship and the pace slows down and I can sit by the pool and have a mango tango and relax. :)

After our excursion in Cozumel ended last week, my daughter and I went back onboard about 12:30 to clean up and go shop, and when i went to grab some lunch, i only saw a handful of people around the pool, and didn't run into anyone on our deck or around the elevators! It was SO quiet!!

Hi LeighNtexas - see you're booked for Voyager in April. We're booked on the same cruise.......can't wait:D

Hey!! Have you joined our roll call? Forgive me if you have and I just forgot, lol! Now that my Conquest cruise is over i can concentrate on the voyager cruise, and I need to get over to the roll call board and get caught up!! :)

We would love a cruise to no where. We really enjoy relaxing sea days. We did our first short repo cruise this year and it was wonderful.

I mentioned to Mr Ula the repo cruises would be a nice way to try different lines. The port of Los Angeles is a couple hours from us and in May and September there are many cruises to and from Alaska for the summer season.

I would be willing to take a cruise to nowhere. I just came off the Mariner for a 7-day and we only got two days at sea. It wasn't nearly enough time to explore and do everything on the boat.

Our Mariner Eastern Caribbean coming up has three at sea days -- one of the reasons I chose that cruise. :D

Sounds like you liked the ship -- looking forward to getting to know her on those at sea days. :)

Hey!! Have you joined our roll call? Forgive me if you have and I just forgot, lol! Now that my Conquest cruise is over i can concentrate on the voyager cruise, and I need to get over to the roll call board and get caught up!! :)

No, I haven't. I was keeping tract early on but that group makes my tired just reading.:D

No, I haven't. I was keeping tract early on but that group makes my tired just reading.:D

Well, that board was kind of quiet for a while, then 3 brothers and sisters joined and they posted a lot!! They did end up having to cancel their cruise, so they aren't on the board any longer! We will miss them, they made the board very busy!! I think we all have PLENTY of time to get to know each other, since the cruise is so far away! Boy I hated writing THAT!:( :D

Actually I prefer days in port because you have the ship to yourself if you choose to stay on board. I find that I really enjoy the Voyager series ship so much that staying on it in the Solarium is pleasure. BUT.........my husband and I are not typical travelers. We enjoy resting on vacation. That's what is so great about cruising.....you can do whatever you wish. There's something for everyone.:)

After our excursion in Cozumel ended last week, my daughter and I went back onboard about 12:30 to clean up and go shop, and when i went to grab some lunch, i only saw a handful of people around the pool, and didn't run into anyone on our deck or around the elevators! It was SO quiet!!

I hope you enjoyed the quiet. :)

Archived