Breakfast in the dining room

mhugcat

Hi can anyone let me know how breakfast works, for example if you want to have it in the dining room rather than self serve buffet.

Will there be only one dining room open for breakfast and when is it usually open from/to.

Can you have fruit juice, cereal and a cooked breakfast. Are the cooked breasfasts to order. Say one day have more bacon than sausage. Another just poached eggs on toast. Can you have just toast.!!

Any pictures - might sound silly but I hear the bacon and sausage are different on princess to here in UK.

Thanks

Yes, there is only one dining room open for breakfast and lunch. They have a printed menu similar to the dinner menu, with some items available every day and others special for that day. Yes, it's cooked to order. You can be seated with others or just your own party. We always enjoyed eating in the dining room but didn't always get there before it closed, which was usually around 9:30, I think.

Hi can anyone let me know how breakfast works, for example if you want to have it in the dining room rather than self serve buffet.

Will there be only one dining room open for breakfast and when is it usually open from/to.

Can you have fruit juice, cereal and a cooked breakfast. Are the cooked breasfasts to order. Say one day have more bacon than sausage. Another just poached eggs on toast. Can you have just toast.!!

Any pictures - might sound silly but I hear the bacon and sausage are different on princess to here in UK.

Breakfast in the dining room is wonderful: very relaxed.

You walk up and you can be seated either at a table by yourselves or with others. There's never any wait. One dining room is open which is usually more than enough to handle those who wish to eat there. I believe the times are 7 - 9:30AM.

You can pretty much order anything you want. If you want more juice, just ask for either a large or two glasses. Cereal and a cooked breakfast are on the menu. If you want two orders of bacon and one of sausage to go with your pancakes or omelet, go for it. Poached eggs? No problem. If you want just toast, no problem. A server will walk around with a tray of danish for you to choose from.

In the U.S., bacon is not the same as English bacon so be aware of that. The Sea Princess has more offerings on the menu that are familiar to the British.

I love breakfast in the dining room; it's relaxed, you can order what you want and they bring it to you. :)

Pam and Longhorn KJK, thank you both for the info.

That sounds the perfect way to start the day. I will definately try the bacon as I'm sure it will be lovely.

Must try not to eat too much breakfast as there is an awful lot of eating still to be done during the day. !!

Regarding the bacon issue, US bacon is long strips which can be cooked crisp or with some of the fat still on it, purely a preference thing just like how you like your eggs cooked. UK bacon is what the US calls Canadian bacon (more like a small, thin ham slice). Sometimes you can find Canadian bacon on the buffets or on the menu. I've also found that the dining rooms are great if you want something different like a particular omlet.

There are lots of options for breakfast. Details depend on exactly which ship you are on.

First is room service. This is more of a "continental" breakfast. You can hang out the little card the night before for delivery in a specific time frame, or call when you are ready.

Then there is the buffet. This is a very popular option for breakfast because it is quick and easy and you can get off about enjoying the day. It normally features all the "American" breakfast options such as toast, muffins, crisp bacon, link or patty sausages, hash browns and eggs to order or omelettes. Usually there are some more "European" options such as bangers, cold meats, cheese and baked beans, too.

The dining room is normally open fairly limited hours for "open seating" breakfast. All the normal breakfast items are available, plus some specialty items that vary day by day. Your waiter will be happy to "do it your way." You can get Eggs Benedict, Florentine omelettes, Belgian waffles, banana pancakes and so on in the dining room, usually not on the buffet. The advantage of the dining room breakfast is the luxury of sitting down and being served in a leisurely fashion. It is not a good choice if you are rushing to get ashore.

And on those sea days that you arise late, most Princess ships have a coffee bar that serves pastries and specialty coffees, for which there is of course a charge.

This is the difficult, stressful thing about cruising: all the constant important decisions that have to be made at an executive level!!:D

Have a GREAT cruise!

The bacon in the dining room will be what you lot call "streaky bacon." :) Best when its cooked crispy, so ask for it that way.

I don't eat eggs, so if I am in the dining room I only order bacon and potatoes. Because I don't order the eggs they feel sorry for me and usually bring me eight to twelve slices of bacon! I generally share it with all my tablemates.

Well, this is a question I hope some of you can answer on this thread for me.

My husband, born and raised in the deep South...love 'Grits' for breakfast. By chance does all the Princess ships offer that? Either in the buffet or dining rooms? We are sailing on the Golden in Oct.

I will be happy to get hash browns...being from the West.:D

Well, this is a question I hope some of you can answer on this thread for me.

My husband, born and raised in the deep South...love 'Grits' for breakfast. By chance does all the Princess ships offer that? Either in the buffet or dining rooms? We are sailing on the Golden in Oct.

I will be happy to get hash browns...being from the West.:D

Sadly, as a Southerner and grits-lover also, I don't recall ever seeing grits on the buffet, nor do I recall them on the dining room menu.

Sadly, as a Southerner and grits-lover also, I don't recall ever seeing grits on the buffet, nor do I recall them on the dining room menu.

Grits are on the buffet right near the hot cereal. Maybe not on all ships every day, but I have seen them there.

How do you eat grits? They taste kinda like cream of wheat...right?

Also, do you have to eat with people at breakfast? Can you have a table for just you and your wife? Or do they like you to do that?

DO go to the dining room for breakfast when you can. I happen to like the selection of food at the breakfast buffet, BUT can't handle the madhouse-like atmosphere there. Huge mess trying to serve yourself. Dining room has less selection, but SO much nicer! Table settings and atmosphere is pretty much as fancy as at dinner. It is very nice (plus they usually serve papaya!).

(BTW, the buffet is MUCH quieter at dinner than the dining rooms, so I tend to eat dinner there a lot. I know I am in the minority on that.)

Papaya with yogurt and granola. Princess does that very nicely.

My husband and I agree that we've definitely seen grits on a cruiseship. Can't remember where or when, and he says he thinks they didn't have it all the time.

Defintely, eat breakfast in the dining room. Much nicer.

I usually take longer cruises which have a mixture of Britishs, Aussies and Americans and Canadians on board and have often heard the British say they wish the bacon wasnt so crisp, I normally have breakfast in the buffet so probably in the dining room a person could specify how they want it cooked,

Also, do you have to eat with people at breakfast? Can you have a table for just you and your wife? Or do they like you to do that?

You can have your own table if you wish. Just ask for it. We never had to wait to be seated for breakfast whether we asked for our own table or joined others.

I've only been on 6 cruises, but for some reason I've never had lunch in a dinning room. I think part of the problem is that I eat a big breakfast and I'm never that hungry when the dinning room is serving lunch. Since this next cruise will be my 5th on the Caribbean Princess, I think it's about time I try it.

Of course they have grits in the buffet. Biscuits and gravy, too.

Depending on your mood, or what you're eating it with, grits can be eaten with milk and sugar (like cereal) or salt, pepper and perhaps tabasco (with eggs).

Put grits on a plate, and the more you eat, the more there are left :)

Of course they have grits in the buffet. Biscuits and gravy, too.

Depending on your mood, or what you're eating it with, grits can be eaten with milk and sugar (like cereal) or salt, pepper and perhaps tabasco (with eggs).

Put grits on a plate, and the more you eat, the more there are left :)

My DW is from the south and she thinks it's sacrilegious to eat grits with milk or sugar.

Grits mean - Girls Raised In The South

Grits are great with cheese!:)

Grits mean - Girls Raised In The South

LOL--heard that before, but have also heard: 'Guys Raised In The South'.

BTW, having lived half my life in South Carolina and HAVING to fix Grits for breakfast too many times to count for my DH, who was BORN in SC, Grits in the 'South' are eaten with LOADS of butter. Not with milk or sugar.

Grits are boiled till they are creamy with no lumps, but still have a "gritty" bite to them. Some folks like to mix them with their scrambled eggs and crisp bacon. My DH (save his dear soul) even loves them with Ketchup mixed in them--->YUCK.:eek: But that is how he loves to eat them.....go figure!

No decent true Southerner would EVER put milk or sugar on their Grits...at least I have never heard of anyone doing THAT.

Just a bit of info on Grits from a Gal who is married to a Southern Guy.:D

Grits are on the buffet right near the hot cereal. Maybe not on all ships every day, but I have seen them there.

Thanks for the info...glad to see they have Grits at least at the buffet. My DH will be in 'Heaven'.:D

Well!! I can't wait to eat crispy bacon, grits and cheese. I love to try something new. The trouble with the British IMHO is they always stick to the same thing.

My other half has travelled to America a lot of times and absolutley loves Denny's breakfasts. He says they are far better than ours here.

Can you let me know if he will be disappointed with princess or a huge fan.

I dont's mind either way. So long as I am cruising I am happy.

Archived