Breakfast in the dining room

mhugcat

As a born and bred southerner I have never heard or seen anyone put milk or sugar on their grits, maybe you were thinking of oatmeal?

Growing up we just put butter on our grits, but now it is popular to put cheese on them. On our last few Princess cruises they have had grits in the buffet. (can't recall if they offer them in the dining room, as I do not eat there too often in the morning).

Regarding the bacon issue, US bacon is long strips which can be cooked crisp or with some of the fat still on it, purely a preference thing just like how you like your eggs cooked. UK bacon is what the US calls Canadian bacon (more like a small, thin ham slice). Sometimes you can find Canadian bacon on the buffets or on the menu. I've also found that the dining rooms are great if you want something different like a particular omlet.

just a note from a canadian: canadian bacon is peameal back bacon(cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal) they always try to pass HAM as canadian bacon, NOT! really good!:)

Well!! I can't wait to eat crispy bacon, grits and cheese. I love to try something new. The trouble with the British IMHO is they always stick to the same thing.

My other half has travelled to America a lot of times and absolutley loves Denny's breakfasts. He says they are far better than ours here.

Can you let me know if he will be disappointed with princess or a huge fan.

I dont's mind either way. So long as I am cruising I am happy.

Yes, and I too enjoyed trying the British breakfast items. There are always some on the Princess ships.

If your husband enjoys the Denny's breakfasts, then he will definately like the breakfasts offered in the Dining room. The same basic items, such as eggs, bacon, ham, hash browns (potatoes), Pancakes, etc, but better quality and MUCH nicer atmosphere. He will probably be pleased.

We were on the 22 June sailing of the Emerald and breakfast in the dining room was anything but relaxing. Thet only served until 9am and about 10 minutes before then they asked if you wanted anything else as the galley was closing. We also felt uncomfortable as the staff seemed to be hovering waiting for us to finish. There was a much bigger choice of food in the Horizon Court.

just a note from a canadian: canadian bacon is peameal back bacon(cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal) they always try to pass HAM as canadian bacon, NOT! really good!:)

At the Marriott (Eaton Centre) in Toronto, "Eggs Benedict" is made with peameal bacon instead of the traditional ham-style "Canadian bacon". It's awesome! DH and I stay there several times a year when we go to the ballet (from north-suburban Detroit). I always look forward to that breakfast as we can't find peameal bacon in these parts.

Chris

...Just a bit of info on Grits from a Gal who is married to a Southern Guy.

Michigan born and bred but "Chicken Fried Steak" with cream gravy is an awesome breakfast treat. I've never seen it on Princess. Do you make it?

It's usually on the breakfast menu of most diner-type restaurants in this part of the country.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

The grits I've had on Princess ships have been horrible. I hope anyone who tries them doesn't think that's what grits are supposed to taste like.

My favorite breakfast in the dining room consists of fresh melon followed by smoked salmon with a toasted bagel. I try to eat light for breakfast because I know there will be so much more food to come during the day.

MHUGCAT - you will be fine if, as you say, you're happy to try different food.

The American 'bacon' is sort of streaky bacon served very crispy unlike our thick cut smoked/unsmoked 'back' bacon.

However, we enjoyed it all and it's always good to try something a little unusual. I'm not too sure about 'Grits' though - it looks like porridge to me. I love porridge but just as it comes, without butter or tomato sauce (as mentioned).

On the Diamond Princess last year, we generally ate breakfast in the Horizon cafe but did once get down to the dining room early enough and it was good to be served. Poached eggs done just right - or fried 'sunny side up'! Yes we loved it all.

I am sure you will love cruising with Princess. Have a great time XX

Thanks Anne, these posts are great, I never realised how many british people cruised with Princess.

So if I want fried eggs do I say 'fried eggs' or 'sunny side up' or 'eggs over easy'.

I like the white of the egg cooked and the yolk soft.

Thanks Anne, these posts are great, I never realised how many british people cruised with Princess.

So if I want fried eggs do I say 'fried eggs' or 'sunny side up' or 'eggs over easy'.

better order them over easy.

i'm looking forward to having british breakfast. that's part of the fun of traveling, for me anyway.

Pam and Longhorn KJK, thank you both for the info.

That sounds the perfect way to start the day. I will definately try the bacon as I'm sure it will be lovely.

Must try not to eat too much breakfast as there is an awful lot of eating still to be done during the day. !!

American bacon is very crunchy - you can't cut it because it explodes - its cut very thin and they cook it until its way too crispy for me :D Takes a bit of getting used to.!!! Mummsie

Michigan born and bred but "Chicken Fried Steak" with cream gravy is an awesome breakfast treat. I've never seen it on Princess. Do you make it?

It's usually on the breakfast menu of most diner-type restaurants in this part of the country.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Chicken fried steak for breakfast....that is what I grew up on with a side dish of Hash browns....Yummo!...born and raised in Austin TX!

American bacon is very crunchy - you can't cut it because it explodes - its cut very thin and they cook it until its way too crispy for me :D Takes a bit of getting used to.!!! Mummsie

English bacon is very floppy -- you can't cut it because it will hardly pull apart -- it's cut very thick, and they hardly cook it at all:D I don't think I could ever get used to it.

>:-)

Mike - It's just what we all get used to. I love my bacon cooked 'English' style and find that there is no flavour in the crispy, well-cooked bacon served up in America - However, I like to try new things and actually find anything is acceptable.

I am actually not one to make a fuss over how food is produced, especially when we're in another country.

On a visit to Florida many years ago - we just loved trying everything that was going and I think that is half the fun of travelling.

On Princess we get the chance to taste things that are different to the way we are used to and that is good!

mhugcat - we will be cruising in September with Princess and this is only the second time with them. We loved our cruise last year - Princesss are very good at making you feel 'special' and I'm sure you will have a great time.

Actually, if you want the white completely cooked and the yolk still runny, you are better off ordering them over medium. That is my favorite.

Archived