Suggestion Pre Cruise 8/29/04 Conquest - Any Package Deals?

NormalGuyATL

There are no hotels that offer shuttles to the port that I know of. Taxi cabs are in front of all hotels and the charge should be just a few dollars. The hotels in the quarters may be a bit more than the others. I live a few hours away and visit frequently. I usually book thru the internet at hotels.com or the same type and the rates are always cheaper. The pier is on Convention Center Blvd near the Convention Center. It's not far from the quarters. Don't forget to visit Pat O'Briens. It's a fun place. Ask the locals where to eat because most of the restaurants are touristy. The airport is about 20 miles away and since I don't fly in I have no idea if they offer shuttles. A few names are: Bourbon Orleans, Holiday Inn on Royal Street, Royal Sonesta ($$$$$). Get online and search for French Quarter Hotels and you can see a complete list. Stay away from Rampart Street, which is at the end of the quarters. It's not safe. When in New Orleans, follow crowds and walk down streets that have lights and you should have a wonderful time. Don'f forget Cafe de monde for beignets and coffee.

We booked rooms at the Maison St. Charles. They have a deal where they will let you leave your car there during the cruise for $5 per day and will take you to the port in a limo the morning of your cruise. Getting back to the hotel is on your own after the cruise. However, since you will be flying, the car isn't a problem for you. I would assume they would also take you to the port even if you weren't leaving your car with them. It looks like a nice place and I have seen lots of good reviews on it. On the trolley line.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;06;20;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]  Until our next cruise

Dolphin IV 7/89
Sovereign of the Seas 7/92
Holiday 6/94
Sea Breeze 7/96
Paradise 7/99
Enchanted Isle 7/00
Century 7/02
Conquest 6/04

Hi, Normal Guy. Our family is also going on the 8/29/04 Conbquest. Myself and hubby and a 14 year old son and 10 year old daughter.

We have stayed in New Orleans only once 2 years ago, at the Hilton near the river. It was lovely, large, with 2 pools, lots of places to eat, convenient to walking downtown and to the trolley. We are staying there again and got a pre-cruise night there for $45 on Priceline. Just enter a 4-star hotel and you could get it. We tried for a night after the cruise, but it was all booked up. Got another 4 star hotel for $58 per night, formerly $242. It's worth checking out.

Oh, and it's just a short cab ride to the dock.

See you on the Conquest!

Cinderellie

Cinderellie

Honeymoon Dolphin 1982
Royal Caribbean 1985
NCL Norway 1989
Chandris Bermuda 1990
Princess Alaska 1993
Big Red Boat 1998
Disney Magic 2002

8/29 Carnival Conquest Getaway
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;8;29;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
My family will be going on the Conquest on October 31,2004. I also read about priceline for only $50.00 at the Hilton Riverside but couldn't get it for that price. Good thing I couldn't. I just read about a guy who got it for the $50.00 dollars at priceline but found out that Hilton will be charging him for his parking. I will be staying there for only $99.00 with guaranteed free parking for up to 7 days. All you have to do is call Hilton at 1-504-561-0500 and ask for the cruise special for $99.00 dollars. If you show proof of your cruise you can get the deal and even cancel within 3 days of your booking and get all of your money back. If you do find a better deal, then there's no penalty! We even booked it for 2 queen beds for a family of four and there was no extra charge. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I just read a new posting about someone who didn't need the free parking either. They said that they got a good deal at the Maison St. Charles. You have to call them for the deal as it is not advertised on their website. But here is the deal. It is $85.00 a night and includes transportation to the cruise pier and a few other goodies. The person who did the post said they just took an airport shuttle to the hotel for $13.00. Just call them and ask for the "Bon Voyage" package. They are in the french quarters in the heart of everything. That's not bad for a french quarter hotel, because it's kind of pricey in that area. If you can get the Hilton at priceline for $50.00 then do that. It's a four star hotel 3 blocks from the pier. And there are trolleys for just $1.50 to take you to the french quarters from the Hilton.Just be warned, if anyone is expecting free parking with the priceline deal they may need to call the Hilton directly and make sure of the free parking. I have heard complaints about having to pay for parking at the Hilton. When I booked, the agent I spoke with indicated that free parking was only for those who booked special cruise rates. I am not sure that priceline customers get the free parking. Maybe someone who has booked the $50.00 priceline deal can call and find out if their parking is free and let us know. If it is, then that's the best deal for someone who needs the free parking. Parking is very limited and these hotels make a tremendous amount of money on parking fees. Otherwise, if you don't need parking, I would either book the Maison St. Charles bon voyage deal or the priceline Hilton for $50.00.

[url]http://www.maisonstcharles.com/pages/map.html[/url]

For clairfication this is NOT in the French Quarter and NOT in the area of activities. I would also not walk to the FQ from here after dark. Either take a cab or walk in a large group. The streetcar runs around the clock but not often in the off hours, have a schedule and best would be to purchase the Norta pass. This is in the Garden District.

Oops! You're right Budgetqueen, the Maison St. Charles is not in the french quarters. We go to New Orleans all of the time, and we have stayed at so many hotels that I get them confused. When I told my husband about the deal at the Maison St. Charles, he told me I had another hotel in mind and should correct the matter. I see you have beat me to it. I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't drink so much when I'm down there. No, on second thought I think I would rather have fun and be confused than sober and bored!

HI,

I live here in New Orleans and actually very close to the Port of New Orleans.

Shuttles from airport will take you to any hotel in the "french qtr".

Nice hotel located in qtr. is the Monteleone... located in heart of French Qtr.

You are very near the port when you are in the french qtr and taxi's are not expensive to the port.

If you want to be right next to the port _ Hilton

But then you are not in the french qtr.

If it was me.. and I am a local... put me at the Monteleone and then a few $ for a taxi

Just got back from stay in NO at Maison St. Charles. The area is very nice. we felt very safe and with it being on the trolley line it was easy to get around NO. french quarter is dirty and can be scary. my husband, myself and my 9 year old daughter. We visited FQ in late evening, but was too scary to be there much later.

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked at the Radisson - says its about 4 blocks north of the FQ. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Any comments on it?
We will be there over Labor Day weekend and in the middle of Southern Decadance. (Is why we did not book a hotel IN the FQ)
Will we be safe walking to and frome our hotel and the FQ?

CANCEL the Radisson- extremely POOR location, I would NEVER consider it myself and I am a frequent NO traveler. It gets consistantly poor reviews. The hotel may be nice but the location is the key- stay away. For myself- I stay in the FQ between Royal, Canal and the river. And no you won't be safe walking at night- the projects are right there. If you choose to continue staying here- always take a cab- which will add considerable to your costs- which would probably allow you to book elsewhere. :) If you aren't all adults- definately rebook elsewhere.

[b][color=darkslategray]I am a native New Orleanian, and my daughter lives and works in the Quarter. I am there several times a month. For the particular time you'll be there, I would suggest getting the Hilton Riverside 'deal'. [/color][/b]

[b][color=darkslategray]Cab rides in N.O. are not cheap, usually $7pp anywhere in the downtown area, even just a few blocks! Have the cabbie drop you off at Jackson Square - the heart of the French Quarter. (BTW, it's the French Quarter, or the Quarter - not [i]quarters[/i]. And we have streetcars, not [i]trolleys[/i].)[/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]As far as walking, just stay on the lighted streets where crowds are, and never go down an alley. It just takes a little common sense to stay safe in N.O. There are so many wonderful things to do in our city - I hope y'all enjoy your visit - and I'm sure you'll want to return!:) [/color][/b]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived