Tipping for room service?

superkdog

Tipping - at least in the USA - is based on the value of the meal, not the amount of trips the waiter takes. That's what we're used to doing. I'm not sure on a cruise ship that there really is much difference, and the only ones who can order a "full meal" are those in full suites. But if I can tip $2 to have a pot of coffee, a pot of tea, and some rolls brought up - I'd probably spring for $3+ if we had them bring a couple of trays of stuff to the room. For those that don't tip anyway, it doesn't make much difference.

While I understand that room service is included in our daily tips, we have always given the person delivering the room service a $1 or $2 tip depending on what is ordered. We have never ordered the ultimate breakfast but I would probably tip more for that. My family goes by the expression that "it's only a couple of dollars to us but much more for them." They always seem so surprised to get a tip, so tipping must not be that usual. I have noted that once we give the first tip, we never have any problems getting speedy room service after.

I agree with this 100%.

Keep some ones on hand to tip room service. Even if it's only $1, it is still appreciated!

I always handed the tip to our room service staff and told them how grateful we were for their service. After the trip, we got to know each other more. They alway went extra miles to make our room more comfortable.

Dave,

How did the room service staff make your room more comfortable? When we order room service they drop off the food then leave very fast. Sometimes I have to chase them down the hall to give them a tip.:confused:

Bill

I honestly didn't realize that tipping for room service was the general practice. Never had any service issues, always got great room service, although usually it's been my kids who used it after waking too late for breakfast but wanting to eat while they get ready to greet the day. I assumed the price we were paying for automatic tipping was sufficient. In the future, I'll tip.

Noticed it was quiet Mr Happy!

Mouth full of cotton wool?

Apparently my teeth are perfect (yes, I know, I'm British, that's not possible, yawn). This was discovered after two were removed, to a chorus on each occasion of "oh that's funny, that's a healthy tooth". Apparently I now have "non-specific facial pain". The dentist, who gets paid about $150,000 US ($45,000,000 New Zealand) a minute to say things like that, very nearly acquired that condition himself courtesy of my fist. However I demurred, as he is of middle-eastern origin, and I cannot know for certain whether he has a large vehicle jammed with pressurised gas cannisters and a map of the local airport round the back (they turned out all to be doctors, dear colonials).

Apparently the approved treatment for "non-specific facial pain" is to go "hmmmm" a lot and say what an interesting condition it is. As I already have cluster headache (some of you may know what that is - you may sympathise) this now escalates me to the "impossibly unfortunate" category. Naturally I intend to make my place of work a stranger to me, take liberally-compensated early medical retirement and spend all day on these boards starting arguments. I may occasionally cruise for background research and contextualisation.

:(

Apparently my teeth are perfect (yes, I know, I'm British, that's not possible, yawn). This was discovered after two were removed, to a chorus on each occasion of "oh that's funny, that's a healthy tooth". Apparently I now have "non-specific facial pain". The dentist, who gets paid about $150,000 US ($45,000,000 New Zealand) a minute to say things like that, very nearly acquired that condition himself courtesy of my fist. However I demurred, as he is of middle-eastern origin, and I cannot know for certain whether he has a large vehicle jammed with pressurised gas cannisters and a map of the local airport round the back (they turned out all to be doctors, dear colonials).

Apparently the approved treatment for "non-specific facial pain" is to go "hmmmm" a lot and say what an interesting condition it is. As I already have cluster headache (some of you may know what that is - you may sympathise) this now escalates me to the "impossibly unfortunate" category. Naturally I intend to make my place of work a stranger to me, take liberally-compensated early medical retirement and spend all day on these boards starting arguments. I may occasionally cruise for background research and contextualisation.

:(

Hmmmm, that's interesting!

Glad your healthy humour was not extracted.

Archived