Luggage Recommendations?

prescottbob

Ahoy!

Well it's time to replace some well worn luggage in our household. Duct tape will no longer do. I thought I'd ask if any of the 'seasoned travelers' on this board have purchased some standard size bags in the past year or two or three (?) We've been through the 'hard shell' Samsonite type bags many years ago and then purchased rigid side bags with zippers, etc. I've been eyeballing the duffle bags on wheels that seem to be quite popular these days. I think they would be easier to pack in rental cars, etc. for pre/post cruise land excursions.

If anyone has experience with these bags or any other type that you have had good luck with please post a note or two. Otherwise my wife, aka "the most blessed", is yearning for a steamer trunk (only kiddding now!). Thank you in advance.

Bon Voyage and Good Health,

Bob:)

With the newer weight limit on airlines and the option to carry ones own luggage off a cruise, I prefer the lightweight rolling bags. My latest is a Skyway which has held up very well so far.

I've bought luggage for myself and my family from ebags. Here is a link for lightweight rolling suitcases.

http://www.ebags.com/luggage/rolling_luggage/lightweight_luggage/category_search/index.cfm?Ne=100&N=4001+2003627

I love packing in rolling duffels. I thought they would only be suitable for shorts/jerseys/swimsuits and such but have packed all sorts of slacks and shirts and blouses with no problem.

I recently purchased some new ones made by Delsey. They are reasonably light and have recessed wheels which, I think, stand up better.

Rolling duffels with retractable handles are very convenient IMO

Delsey used to make good luggage. I think their quality is not what it used to be but the way the airlines and cruise ships toss all luggage around, none of it is going to stand up better than any of the rest without a lot of luck. ;)

Hi -- I still have my mother's steamer trunks (all 3) if you want to buy them - from the 20's.

In recent years we have discovered that the cruise lines have destroyed more of our luggage than the airlines.

How do I know this?? Very simple. We fly to our embarkation ports 3 - 4 days early and our luggage comes through fine. Then we go to the ship and by the time the luggage gets to our stateroom, it is crushed!!!! And several times pieces have been destroyed. And there have been times when we went to get our luggage at the end of the cruise in the terminal that pieces have been destroyed.

We no longer buy expensive luggage.

Like Sail stated - we use duffels now too. I worked at Samsonite many years ago and my husband and I accumulated all sorts of luggage - never a matched set though!

I find that I can pack nearly everything I take in a large wheeling bag. I do usually take a smaller suitcase to pack my "nicer thing" just to keep them from wrinkling too much.

I have noticed a bit of wear and tear and blame it on the rough handling in airport baggage. Not much you can do about that. Just don't spend too much on a bag that may get "used and abused".

I purchased ours a JC Penney's on sale and they are made by JEEP.

We recently purchased a set of roll on duffles from LLBean. The set consists of a large duffle, a carry on size and a soft sided purse sized one. (they can be purchased separately) They have a hard back but are very light. They also have lots of pockets. DH travels a lot and is an excellant packer and uses the small roll on as a carry on for two night trips. They nest inside one another for storage and since they are soft sided they will fit easily under the HAL beds. I realy like the fact that they have a hard back - I feel more confident packing those toiletries that I used to put in my carry on. We bought ours in red so they are easy to spot in the sea of black bags on the luggage carousel or in the cruise terminal. Also we used the big one stuffed full when we visited our son recently and were no where near the 50 pound limit.

We got a set from Walmart "American Tourister" a year or so ago and it's been GREAT. We got 2 of the standard wheeled bags (checked size and carry on size), a toiletry bag, a duffle on wheels and a shoulder bag that can connect on the handles of the larger wheeled ones (think they call it a Pilot bag??)

Set was around $50 and exceeded expectations simply by not falling apart.

They had a few colors. We got bright red. And we ALWAYS see/find our bags quick.

:cool:

All good thoughts here. There are some great lightweight bags made now, and whether you buy one to slide in under the airline's weight restriction - or in my case, to save my aging back - that is indeed the way to go. We've gotten some excellent luggage buys recently at Marshall's and TJMaxx. Happy shopping and bon voyage!

I bought a rolling duffle in '96 and used it for my Holland/Belgium/Luxembourg trip. Not good! My

arm (at the elbow) got all messed up. Having to

lift and hoist that sucker onto the train, off the

train and even walking on level ground, your arm

takes all the weight of the bag.

Then I bought some American Tourister soft-sided

(29", 24" and a carry-on). Now the weight restriction

means I take all three bags. But for my cruise in

Europe next year, I've been checking the different

airlines and while the weight is a problem (I also

bought a luggage scale), the airlines are suggesting

hard-sided luggage. They don't guarantee soft-sided

luggage to not be damaged. NOW THAT IS A PROBLEM!

I'm not going to buy all new luggage again only two years later.

Get the cheapest you can find and if they only last one trip,

buy another.

Good luck and have a great trip!

For durability, a luggage repair shop I used to repair zipper damage to my Travel Pro and Atlantic luggage, recommended Costco's luggage. He said in his opinion that it was the most durable. I too, think think much of the damage comes from the cruise lines which often haul heavy loads of luggage in trucks....pity the ones at the bottom of the stack.

Rick

Ahoy!

Thanks for all the timely replies and useful links. I looked at the Costco site and saw this 30" duffle that appears to be fairly inexpensive and, perhaps, durable (at least for a trip or two or three):

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11227105&search=luggage&Mo=18&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=luggage&Ntt=luggage&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1.

Bon Voyage and Good Health,

Bob:)

Great thread! I just purchased some new Delsey (the clerk suggested lighter:) ) luggage but I am curious about the rolling duffle idea which sounds great. My question regards formal wear, does it still pack well in the duffle? , or do you, as someone else mentioned take an additional smaller suitcase too? I am really trying:o to keep the amount that I usually take to a minimum. My husband keeps reminding me that there is a laundry room onboard the Maasdam, so I do not need to take as much.

Oh and I love the luggage tag idea!!

Linda

We too just purchased new luggage right before we left on teh Noordam last month. The set we had prior suited us well for many years. We had first purchased that set when we were doing twice a year trips to Hawaii. The set we had we purchased in 1999 or 2000. When we retured from our March cruise the pull out handle on Tom's had broke and it was not worth repairing and a few of the other peices were starting to show some wear. They had probably made at least 6 or 7 trips to Hawaii and had been used for 13 cruises. So we decided to look for a new set. I did some comparing. We ended up buying this set

http://www.ebags.com/delsey/helium_lite_100_25_expandable_suiter_trolley/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=40871

We purchased 5 pieces and while I read a few bad reviews and I also read good reviews and after taking them on the Noordam we found we really loved them. They worked great, the wheels and mobility of them is really good. We are extremely happy with having purchased them.

My philosophy is that the luggage manufactures and the airlines are working together in working against me!

About 7 years ago for our first long cruise (total of three weeks cruise and land), we decided to buy new luggage. I won't give the brand name because that is really not the point. The point is that we paid about $300 plus for each of the large suitcases along with a matching garment and a carry on bag. They served us well for this trip and the next long European cruise.

A few years later we start planning a two week Baltic cruise and my husband (and his wallet) about have heart failure when I tell him we need new luggage. Not because our nice, expensive luggage is damaged but because of the newer size regulations! Each of the large cases would now be considered oversized. So we go out and buy 2 new bags. This time I'm smarter and keep the price more reasonable.

It's 3 years later and those "new" bags are almost obsolete. Given the current weight restrictions, it does not even make sense to own a 27" or 28" suitcase because unless you are packing large bulky but light weight items, you will be over the weight limits.

Our big trip this year is to China with a 44 lb limit (not per bag, but total) per person. Guess what? New bags are in order!

What just brought this entire thing freshly to my mind is that yesterday at a garage sale I sold about $600 worth of excellent luggage for $30.00. Ouch!!!

What just brought this entire thing freshly to my mind is that yesterday at a garage sale I sold about $600 worth of excellent luggage for $30.00. Ouch!!!

Ouch is right:o Face it the industry is run my men who can pack light and do not care if they are seen in the same clothes every day.:D The day of ladies packing so that they can have a different outfit each day will soon go away because they will prohibit us from packing that way. I think this is a conspiracy brought on secretly by the men;)

Another item from ebags that I bought for my recent Alaska trip that really helped me is their packing cubes. They help with keeping groups of things neat and hopefully from getting too wrinkled. I also used them to organize what I needed for various phases of my trip by using different color sets. One color for the items I had to repack when I got to Fairbanks for my 3 night Arctic trip (just had to pull them out of the big suitcase and throw them in a carryon). Another color for things I'd be taking on to Denali and another for things I wouldn't need till I got to the ship. Later on I used them to keep the dirty and clean things sorted out.

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/packing_cubes_3pc_set/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=13032

We have run the gamut with luggage (except for rolling duffle bags), from expensive, name-brand hard side rolling suitcases; a relatively inexpensive set of rolling bags to name brand soft-sided rolling luggage. HAL cracked one of the hard sided pieces and knocked one of the wheels of the other. The inexpensive set had failures in wheels and handles within 3 trips.

Several years ago, I purchased a set of soft-sided rolling luggage marketed by Sharper Image that was on sale It has held up extremely well - very rugged Cordura, heavy duty metal zippers and strong handles. While not the lightest, it is very stong and durable. The corners are starting to show some wear but still very serviceable.

DW purchased a new set of Samsonite Spinners soft-sided luggage about 18 months ago and loves them! With three cruises and several airline trips under their belt, they look very good and the wheels are still attached! She loves the ease of rolling them along beside her or in front without dealing with their weight. The carry-on piece is shaped to match the interior shape of overhead airplane bins (tapered at top of the piece) and the exterior pocket has a zipper at the bottom so you can access the exterior pocket with the piece still in the bin if you need to retrieve anything. Time will tell how they hold up. But, if I ever have to replace my luggage, I am inclined to seriously consider the Samsonite soft-sided spinners due to their ease of use and relatively light weight, at least with respect to my current set.

We also have a hand-held luggage scale that helps us stay within the airline's weight limits.

I'm happy with the Delsey pieces but truthfully don't feel they are as well made as previous Delsey I owned in the past.

Eagle Creek has a wonderful wheeled duffel worth considering. It's lightweight but fairly sturdy.

Any suitcase that survives the monster handlers and makes the size and weight limits is a good suitcase!!! :D

I LOVE my rolling duffle; I have a hint that was given to be that has save me heartache...before packing, line the bag with plastic. Dry cleaning bags, empty space bags, garbage bags, anything that you have enough of to surround your clothes. This is in case the bag is left in the rain on the tarmac, somebody's wine leaks, any liquid issues. On my return to the US last time, we waited a long time in the baggage area of Customs with no luggage because it was raining too hard to unload:eek: . Many unhappy folks, but all my treasures were snug and dry in the duffle. I will never pack without plastic bags again. On the way home my dirty clothes were in the space bags, but they still work,

leaving room for souveniers.

I do that, too, Roz. I always lay at least two dry cleaner bags at the bottom of my bag and bring them up the side. All of our things are packed in one sort of plastic or another.....either a ziploc or dry cleaner bag if on a hanger etc. Then I lay a few dry cleaner bags across the top of the bag before I put in a paper giving our itinerary and then closing the duffle.

I know it has saved us grief from having things ruined when suitcases were left in pouring rain.

It also protects our things from being handled by security people pawing through out suitcases if they have a security reason for doing so. I'd rather have my 'dainties' in a ziploc than being tossed by some TSA person.

... men who can pack light and do not care if they are seen in the same clothes every day.
Heh! If you separate wearings by a couple of days no one is the wiser! Add mix-and-match into the equation and it's a piece of cake. You really should try it! :D

The airline guaranteed a hard sided bag won't be damaged?

Only that they won't guarantee a soft sided bag?

How about will they guarantee not to lose it? :)

They will repair or replace the hard-sided luggage if it is damaged. No such thing with the soft-sided luggage. Read the signs in the baggage area. I don't think they guarantee not to lose it, only to replace value.

On my first trip to England (1987) my bags stayed in Dallas. American Airlines told me to buy WHATEVER I needed and save the receipts, I would be reimbursed. The bags finally caught up to us in about 3 days, but when I got home, I sent the claim form, and the receipts and received my check for $150 in about two weeks. I haven't had a problem since then, and you see in my signature, that I have traveled some.

My niece had a hard sided suitcase that was ran over at Ontario Airport by the baggage handler truck, Southwest Airlines. Have no idea where they pulled the suitcase from, but they gave her a brand new one, very similar to the one she had, on the spot. They unloaded hers and put it all in the new one and off she went.

Guarantees don't really mean much these days on anything you purchase anyway. Even new cars, now they want you to have their dealer do your oil changes, trying to tell you your warranty will be voided if you don't. That's a crock and look how much you pay for a vehicle.

So I buy the cheapest luggage I can find that is the size and kind I want. I'm still using soft-sided luggage, as I like the tapestry print and that's all it comes in. I bought mine last year, then when I was looking for some for my husband this year, they don't quite match in color, but still the tapestry design. I got the carry-on at Amazon.com for $14.99 and the 29" on a luggage site that came up but it was $49.99. I lucked out at Ross when I bought mine and got the big one and the carry-on for $50.

So if you look around, it's not necessary to pay $300 +++ for a set of luggage that is only going to get ruined anyway.

Happy travels to all.

Archived