Why a set curfew for teens?

What can be done after 1:00 AM, that you can't do before? I raised four very successful children, and they all had curfews, and they were much earlier than 1:00 AM. Maybe this is why today when you p/u the paper, so many young adults are being arrested and/or murdered, because parents just let their kids roam the streets until all hours of the night! I hope RCI continues their CURFEW rules, and enforces them!

I am hope you are never out of your cabin after 1:00 AM, because whatever you needed to do clearly could have been done before.

I for one think all 15-17 year old should be given a plastic bracelet that could be worn for the length of the cruise. If said 15-17 year old cause any trouble, their plastic bracelet is then removed and they are bound by a curfew.

A cruise ship is more of a Hotel than it is a city. Most hotels have no curfew.

Ok, so I understand all of your points of view, but none of you think that a parent should be able to make the decision about curfew rather then the cruise line? Parents can obviously decide for a curfew before 1 but there are some parents who if they are out late don't mind allowing there kids to be out later then 1.

I just think parents should be responsible and there should be no curfew, the just my opinion though.

One more thing, I enjoy cruising Royal Caribbean more then any other cruise line, the curfew is just one negative that isn't going to stop me from cruising on them. I guess we will just have to deal with the curfew lol.

Why set a curfew??

Bottom line is it is their company, their ships, their rules..............as a public company (or private for that matter) that is all they have to do. If enough people don't like the rules and start sailing other cruiselines, then they will revisit their rules.

By the way..........I'm sure RC legal and other research indicates there is a very good reason for the rules to be in place.

I personally am glad they are there..........

JMO

Ok, so I understand all of your points of view, but none of you think that a parent should be able to make the decision about curfew rather then the cruise line? Parents can obviously decide for a curfew before 1 but there are some parents who if they are out late don't mind allowing there kids to be out later then 1.

I just think parents should be responsible and there should be no curfew, the just my opinion though.

One more thing, I enjoy cruising Royal Caribbean more then any other cruise line, the curfew is just one negative that isn't going to stop me from cruising on them. I guess we will just have to deal with the curfew lol.

I agree with you, the parents should set the curfew and they still can do so, however if the parents didn´t set the curfew until 1am, I think it´s time for the cruise line to set it.

Just looking for some personal experiences here, anyone with a 17 y.o., what time do you set there curfew for if there not on a cruise, if there just hanging out in the town they live in, and what time do you set there curfew for on any cruise?

I guess the question truly is "what exactly can't the kids do during the day that they can only do at night"? In my opinion, nothing. The only thing I can think of is dance. I'm sure the clubs for the teens close earlier than the curfew so..... I do not see a problem. The kids can socialize and mingle and swim...shop...probably even dance during the day and evening hours on a cruise ship..who knows.! lol...

I agree that their should be a curfew and I hope its enforced. The town where I live at even has a curfew for under 18 and it is enforced. Actually, most of the surrounding towns have the same. As far as work, for the most part, teens aren't scheduled to work at 2am anyhow...so that is never an issue.

My teens will abide by the rules and they have no problem with it.

Esmerelda

Fuel did not close earlier than the curfew on the Mariner. Most nights Fuel didn't close until almost 2, especially the last night of the cruise. Fuel wasn't even available for the 15-17 yr olds to dance until 11pm, the 12-14 yr olds had it up until 11. If the kids are going to be allowed to dance past the curfew of 1AM, they need to be allowed to return to their cabins afterwards without being hassled.

We had set a curfew of midnight for our 16 yr old prior to getting on the ship but had to adjust that so he could enjoy Fuel at night.

Just looking for some personal experiences here, anyone with a 17 y.o., what time do you set there curfew for if there not on a cruise, if there just hanging out in the town they live in, and what time do you set there curfew for on any cruise?

Parents don't do their jobs at home either. In most towns and cities within 50 miles of where we live, the city governments mandate a weekday curfew around 11:00 p.m. and a weekend curfew around 1:00 a.m. for anyone under age 18. The fines are stiff for violations. An exception is made if the teenager is with his parents (not just an older person) or is on his/her way to/from work.

LL

Maybe there should be a curfew for adults as they cause many problems too?

Recently I believe its been more adults going overboard then teens. #1 cause being alcohol, maybe they should be paying more attention to the people buying alcohol on the ship and less trying to keep minors from causing trouble and getting alcohol. Believe me they will never be able to stop teens who want alcohol from getting it.

Welcome to the real world. Sometimes the misbehaviour of the few affect the freedoms of the many. There are a several rules that we adults have to follow on the cruise ships that are a result of the teens you're referring to in your last sentence there. It might suck, but that's the way it is.

Well I LOVE the comment that teens are "paying customers just like anyone else"...no way? Really? So the teens pay their own way on cruises? I can't wait to inform my kids that when they are teens, THEY will have to pay for our cruises...YIPPEEE! ;)

So infants in swim diapers, go poop in the pool. You are a paying customer. :D

And loud drunken obnoxious adults, go ahead and be even more obnoxious...YOU paid for it. :p

See, there are rules for a reason. I was frightened by this thread on the Carnival board because the teens were saying they prefered to cruise Carnival (NOT RCCL) because RCCL had a curfew in place....EWWWWW scary.....and that the teens LOVED Carnival cause they could "spend the night in the theatre" and spend the night "partying in someone's room" because security wouldn't bother them with that pesky curfew.

Now, as a mom of TWO daughter. The thought of MY daughters as teenagers "partying in someone's room" makes me ill. I am not THAT old. I know what that means to "party in someone's room"

So I am THRILLED that RCCL has a curfew. Even in my small PA town that I currently live in and the one that I grew up in, we had CURFEWS enforced by the POLICE DEPARTMENT. Under a certain age there are "Junior Driver Licenses" to keep the kids off the roads past a certain time at night. Did we WHINE that it wasn't fair? Um no, it was the law, we respected it.

You originally asked if anyone knew why RCCL had a curfew. Every possible reason was given and in every possible way by many people.

At the risk of being called on the carpet again for sarcasim and hate, did you finally get it that you'll just have to deal with the curfew?

I have never experienced any problems with teens. We do however tend to go to bed early. However, I do remember before the curfew was imposed there were many complaints about teens running up and down the halls, chan ging breakfast menus or taking them completely, causing problems in the elevators etc. In response to these complaints and the constant lawsuits, RCCL imposed the curfews and started the youth security. If there are no longer these problems then apparently the curfews have worked. As for the adults, they have put them ashore at the next port of call.

Unless they were at an organized activity which went later, at home the curfew for our kids when they were in high school was 12:30. Didn't cruise with them until they were out of HS.

You originally asked if anyone knew why RCCL had a curfew. Every possible reason was given and in every possible way by many people.

At the risk of being called on the carpet again for sarcasim and hate, did you finally get it that you'll just have to deal with the curfew?

Lol I knew that I was going to have to deal with the curfew from the beginning, and I was only asking if anyone knew the reasons. I was not trying to argue with the posters, I was just giving reasons why I thought some of the reasons that RCL has for the curfew, that people have told me are stupid.

Half the people on here jumped on me because I disagreed with there reasons or RCL reasons, all I was doing was stating my view.

I was just on the Explorer for nine nights as a graduation present from high school. Every night at 1 (sometimes even earlier), I would get yelled at by the security guards telling me to go back to my cabin. Sometimes they would come in packs and surround me when all I was doing was enjoying some pizza in the cafe promenade or laying out on a deck chair talking quietly with other teens.

I know there will always be the close-minded people that think all teens are grouped into one category... the teens that push all of the buttons, scream, get drunk, and play knock and run. Thats not all of us!! Give us a chance!! It really is VERY frustrating!!

Wow, thanks for letting me vent.

Gee, I went on my first cruise at fifty, and had to pay for it myself. Talk about incredibly unfair!!!!

I hope that adds some perspective for you. :p

So much for a CURFEW! On the Liberty Cruise in June, there were teens that respected the 1am curfew and went to their cabin and invited more teens in with them to party. As some stated in this thread, the curfew is enforced for Safety. Having a party (drinking alcohol of course) in this room to me is not safe. It all falls back on the PARENTS!! The parents that get cabins for their teens, must monitor what is going on in them cabins!! The parents nned to be held responcible for their childrens actions, no matter is they are in diapers or in High School! The children may act like Angels when in their parents company, but let them loose and they can be Devils. WAKE UP PARENTS!!! This is 2007 not 1910! If Rc enforces the curfew, these kids can find other places to do what they want! Oh and the ships have camera's, well on the Liberty some teens were having sex on the heli pad. So much for the camera's. Could your little Angels have been the ones involved? I never underestimated my children ( who are grown now and in their 30's) or my teenage grandchild as to what they could get themselves involved in. I would also like to mention, there were some unruly teens on the Liberty who were messing around in the elevator when I and another family got on it. The father from the family wasn't too happy with the behavior of these wise guys, and told them to get on the floor and do 20 push ups and they did them. I applaud that gentlemen for taking action like he did, to instill some discipline in these wise guys for the moment. So parents with the teens, when you are enjoying your vacation and letting your teens run loose....Do You Really Know Where They are & What they Are DOING?????

We recently cruised with RC and I can understand the curfew. The problem is not the 17 and 18 year olds, who hang at the disco in the burger joint with their friends. The biggest problem was the "tweeners". The 12, 13, 14 and 15 year olds, who are immature and think it is a big joke to ride up and down in the elevators hitting all the buttons and then running out to watch as they go up and down and laugh at the adults who can't get a ride. For older folks, this is a huge problem. The kids travel in packs and in most cases are so self-absorbed they don't even realize they are spoiling the fun for people who save hard to take a vacation. Unfortunately too many of them are obnoxious and ill mannered and have such an entitlement mentality that it wouldn't occur to them to appreciate the trip in the first place. We couldn't get to sleep at 2AM because they were running up and down the halls outside our state room giggling and screaming as that age likes to do. As a parent myself, I don't understand the need for a 12, 13 or 14 year old to be up at 2AM, whether it is vacation or not. We never saw parents with them. They took over the buffets constantly during the day, making the lines intolerable as they jumped in and out of line. And please don't say it is up to the staff to police these kids. I actually saw a passenger berating a staff member who suggested that they should pay more attention to their child's behavior. This person clearly felt that the cost of the ticket included babysitting an errant young teen. In spite of postings the kids would take over the jacuzzi's in the atrium that was supposed to be adult only and if the staff asked them to leave they would just laugh like it was big joke. We had to go back no less than 10 times to do minature golf because the kids would play through again and again with no regard for anyone else who was waiting. I will say I will never cruise during any part of spring break again. Even on a Voyager class ship you just cannot get away from the kids and too many of the parents figure see the cruise ship as a safe environment where they can just let their kids go nuts and they can't get into any trouble.

I was not trying to argue with the posters, I was just giving reasons why I thought some of the reasons that RCL has for the curfew, that people have told me are stupid.

You asked why people thought the rules were in place. To me that was asking for their opinions on the rules and they should be allowed to speak them (in a civil manner). They may be "stupid" to you now but as you grow older you will also see things a little differently as you become responsible for more things and other people if you choose to raise a family.

I can see that it could seem unfair to teens who were raised correctly and know how to act in public but as someone else stated one bad apple spoils the bunch. It works the same way with many things in life.

My DD is only 13 now and will be 14 on our next cruise. She is made to behave at home and will do so on our cruises. This will be her third one. If she can't follow the rules, both mine and those of the cruise line she will be waving to us from the pier the next time we sail away. ;)

It must since out of 20 replies you decided to single me out. I feel so special. You just made my day. Thanks.

Happy Cruising :D

crusinmama06

Good for you, there's alway's that ONE isn't there?:eek:

Care to say where in Penn State country?

Nope, I have nothing to whine about. I respect rules....but your statement was really mature. :rolleyes:

I agree with you............and again......it's their company......they don't really need to give anyone reasons;)

I agree with you............and again......it's their company......they don't really need to give anyone reasons;)

I am a shareholder, it is my company too. :D

So if you were denied boarding on a cruise for some reason, you wouldn't ask why? You'd just tell that person, "Well, I am sure you have your reasons. Maybe we'll try again next year."

I am a shareholder, it is my company too. :D

So if you were denied boarding on a cruise for some reason, you wouldn't ask why? You'd just tell that person, "Well, I am sure you have your reasons. Maybe we'll try again next year."

I'm never one to not stand corrected.........as a shareholder........you do have the right to ask anything:D

Archived