passenger misses ship

mullr

:) Don't know but one has to imagine they made their way home by now......one way or another. :)

We boarded Maasdam on June 23 and didn't hear anything about it. Our friends were on the June 16 sailing and didn't mention it.

The Captain waited about 30 minutes. Local officials were trying to find her. The ship had to leave because of the bridge just west of Quebec. There was a short window of opportunity for the ship to clear the bridge because of the tide. So, the ship sailed without her.

We all know the risks of not returning to the ship on time. (I hope she wasn't hurt or didn't become ill which caused her failure to return.) Good of the Captain to have waited 30 minutes. Not many would/can. Captain Arjen van der Loo is wonderful...... We always enjoy sailing with him.

What with the tides and clearing the bridge, I'm sure he had no choice but to leave. Afterall.... how long could he wait?

Were you on that cruise? Was it great? We love that itinerary and are doing it again in August.

Was it confirmed that it was a woman by herself? That bothers me. A female tourist alone is more vulnerable to crime. Let's hope it was simply a matter of losing track of time. At least in Quebec, there are numerous options for making your way to the next port, or the debarkation port.

Roz

Was it confirmed that it was a woman by herself? That bothers me. A female tourist alone is more vulnerable to crime. Let's hope it was simply a matter of losing track of time. At least in Quebec, there are numerous options for making your way to the next port, or the debarkation port.

That's why the cruise lines provide the name of the port agent in each port of call. That was the person to whom she hopefully went when she realized she'd "missed the boat." The people there would have helped her and made sure she was safe.

Blue skies ...

--rita

And this is one reason why we always take our "Port Guide" along with us whenever we decide to get off the ship and do some small errands on our own - no major tours!! If anything would happen to us we would like to know who to contact so that they can contact the ship.

Accidents can happen!!

My husband and I were on the ship. Everyone aboard seemed concerned but the Captain had no choice but to leave. If he had missed the opportunity to sail under the bridge we would have to wait for the next low tide. All of you have offered good suggestions about having the ship's information with you when in port. I never thought of that.

We never leave the ship without having the Port Agents name and contact information with us.

Would have never thought of this either. All of our excurisions have been set with independent operators. I think this would be very valuable information to have.

But where do you find the information?

The port agents name and contact information are usually printed in the daily program -- on the Prinsendam, in addition to the daily program each night we received a Prinsendam postcard with the port agent's info printed on the back so that it was easy to take with when we went ashore.

The information is usually prominently printed on the Port of Call flyer that is available at the shore ex desk and is distributed with tomorrow's ship activities info the evening prior to the port call.

OOps we posted at almost the same time! Guess you can never have too much of this type of information.

The port agents name and contact information are usually printed in the daily program --

On our last cruise (Veendam, Dec) this info was not in the Daily Program, but rather in the In Port page for each port.

That's right....... the Port Agents name and contact info are in the port information sheet, not the Daily Program. If I don't want the whole sheet with me, I simply rip off the Agents name and address etc and slip it in my purse.

We are very careful to always bring it as we more often than not go off on our own and not with a ship's tour.

In a talk with the Captain when we were on the Prinsendam recently, he had said that they notify the port agent of the person(s) not boarded yet and leave them their passports. Whenever we boarded the ship, it seems that it would be quite easy to locate the port agent and more than likely when you arrive and the ship has already sailed, they will know who you are. Most importantly you have your HAL ID card. They make it very clear to make sure you are aware of the traffic and bus schedules, etc when you are on your own. Sometime, almost too much. On our ship they announced the names of people who hadn't boarded yet and asked them to report to the office if they were on board. I didn't hear of anyone missing the ship. There are schedules to keep after all.

Something like this happened on our Norway cruise on Century-Celebrity last May.

Anouncements were made for a person and about 20 minutes later then planned the ship started to sail. Still within the bay of Bergen, another anouncement and the captain told he would stop the ship for a late arrived passenger....

Since the next stop would be 2 days later in Amsterdam, the captains decision to stop was a lucky one for her....

I still wonder if she has to pay for this special ride on a harborvessel.

We were on deck and could made those photos.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Specials/

This kind of thing happens every week on ships. I work on cruise ships and when I worked for Carnival we used to have people miss the ship in Cozumel almost every week. After we left I would go to the Purser's desk and there would be suitcases of the people who had been left behind stacked in the back office.

If anyone is left behind, the passports (if they were collected at the beginning of the cruise) would be left with the port agent, along with all relevant details. The late passengers would more than likely be met by the port agent when they arrived back at the port.

When I worked for Princess in 2005 we picked up a couple from an RCI who had missed the ship, we were going to the same port the next day so we gave them a cabin and they met up with their ship in the next port!

After we left I would go to the Purser's desk and there would be suitcases of the people who had been left behind stacked in the back office.
Why wouldn't the baggage be left in the cabin in case they caught up with the ship before the end of the cruise?

If anyone is left behind, the passports (if they were collected at the beginning of the cruise) would be left with the port agent, along with all relevant details.

This is why I tell people at every opportunity that it's not a good idea to leave their passports locked in their cabin safe when they go ashore! If they don't want to take them along, then they should be left with the Purser!

This kind of thing happens every week on ships. I work on cruise ships and when I worked for Carnival we used to have people miss the ship in Cozumel almost every week. After we left I would go to the Purser's desk and there would be suitcases of the people who had been left behind stacked in the back office.

When I worked for Princess in 2005 we picked up a couple from an RCI who had missed the ship, we were going to the same port the next day so we gave them a cabin and they met up with their ship in the next port!

Seeing as you reference people catching up with their ship the next day in the same post, I also wonder why people's things were packed up and stacked at the Purser's Desk. AND why wasn't their safe opened and those things removed if their property was being packed up? What was to happen to the articles in the safe?

I would expect guests' property would be left intact in their cabins until the end of the cruise with the expectation they will most likely catch up with the ship if not advised otherwise.

Thanks for your posts, Admiral. It's always good to hear from someone who 'knows' from having worked on the ships.

Seeing as you reference people catching up with their ship the next day in the same post, I also wonder why people's things were packed up and stacked at the Purser's Desk. AND why wasn't their safe opened and those things removed if their property was being packed up? What was to happen to the articles in the safe?

Sail, the first paragraph about the pack-up was when he worked for Carnival, and the last paragraph about the catch-up couple was when he worked for Princess.

I wondered about the safe stuff too, but then realized that it was probably packed up after the ship had sailed. If the Captain waits for 30 minutes and then decides that he has to leave, he won't wait for belongings to be packed and the safe to be emptied at that point. They must empty the safe when they empty the rest of the cabin, while underway.

Thanks.

I understand about the Princess and RCI business.

My point is most people will do what they have to do to rejoin their ship if they miss it. Why are their things packed? Shouldn't they be left as is until the end of the cruise?

I seem to recall being on an HAL ship some years ago and hearing HAL did the same thing for some other cruise line's guests. They missed their ship and HAL gave them a ride to the next port which would be shared with the other people's ship the next day.

My point is most I people will do what they have to do to rejoin their ship if they miss it. Why are their things packed? Shouldn't they be left as is until the end of the cruise?
That was my question too, in post #21. :)

I seem to recall being on an HAL some years ago and hearing HAL did the same thing for some other cruise line's guests. They missed their ship and HAL gave them a ride to the next port which would be shared with the other people's ship the next day.

Maybe it's a common reciprocal thing among many lines.

Archived